the Rift

The Funeral [Open]

Chernobyl Posts: 134
Outcast atk: 6 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 hh :: Nine | Tallsun HP: 60 | Buff: NOVICE
Psilo

Tiny tendrils of white light beckoned dark eyes to open, their luminescent fire burning bright beneath a filmy surface. All life gathered there, a central core of being that was otherwise replaced by monochrome coloring of the flesh. She was a sheath of shadowy lace, perplexing the eye to dismiss her presence, all smoke and mirrors. A heart that desired no comfort thud beneath her breast, each beat causing a painful discourse to inflict soft groans of agony from her throat. They were not audible and yet just barely heard, traces of voice to the open air that sifts through the mind and settles there leaving one uneasy. Yellowed teeth grind against one another in a sickening crunch, tension building in her jowls like a hungry cat, famished and on the hunt. Blackened irises register surroundings, but only halfheartedly so., as if finding nothing of interest. Just as her thoughts come together, they fall apart again, broken fragments of the mind, melding and then breaking again like glass.

A bitter grimace touches dry, cracked lips that do not open. Her gait is uneven, painful in appearance and slow like static noise, grainy and flashing against the screen in the midst of the night. After a moment, she pauses and stills, eyes ahead and unfocused. Against her flesh, ribs are showcased like diamonds and her flanks are gaunt with malnutrition, but not so much as to assume she is starved. No, the hunter will eat, but she waits until the time is right. The idea waters her mouth, saliva brimming the edges like a sick dog and she does nothing to contain the salivation despite the fact that she is aware company will soon be unavoidable.

As dusk approaches, she smiles and while it looks strange upon her face, she welcomes nightfall when she knows she will come alive. Like a demon, she thrives towards the darkness, drawn to the elusive quality of the witching hour. Barren trees gaze down at her and cringe at the creature as if she has stolen the angels from heaven and hidden them away in Lucifer’s dungeon. She taps her heels against his roof and chuckles lightly at the sound, so forlorn in the silence that Threshold has come to adopt. The birds do not sing in her presence and sometimes she misses the sound, as it is the only reminder of a life alternate her own, one she will never inhabit because she is gone.

She does not dream anymore because they will always go unanswered, dreams are not granted to the devil’s children… That’s what her mother had always told her in such an angelic voice, whispered softly into her ear before bed. She bristles at the recollection and her shoulders come together under the loose skin of the wraith. She chooses to banish that familiar face to the hell she has come to embrace and instead pictures heaven for a brief moment, a place she shall never see as her mother had promised; they were destined for damnation.

The muddy ground cakes around her hooves under her weight and she shifts upwards from the sensation, momentarily fooled into thinking that Satan had decided to welcome her early to his humble abode. It is in this moment that she curses lightly beneath her breath, angered by the effect of her mother’s words, which still rung presently in her ear long after the witch’s death. It had been a slow passing, one that the ghostly creature had relished. Such a sickly animal, her mother was, her stomach thinning and turning until she was but a mere shadow of her former brilliance. Those awful eyes had speculated her offspring until death, never closing even after, lacing the mare’s mind with the bitter image of the end. Upon her dying breath, she left her tortured child with the only parting sentiment she knew, “I’ll be back for you.”

Such a twisted existence was led after losing the old hag, one that entailed a deep mourning, a loss of understanding and most of all, a deep hatred for the soul that had left her this way. She recalled the crude touches and foul words, ones of love that extended beyond family… She was but an object to the matron, one that encouraged lustful jealousy over her own daughter. It was a sickly affair they held, tender caresses that were ill-received, ones that would not end until life itself was taken. Love was not a word that the now grown mare knew, because it had been thrust upon her in such a cruel way. She had been robbed of the feeling the moment her own mother declared her to be her heart’s content, a lover that could not return the sentiment. In all fashions, the mare had been ruined, all relationships lost for the one she could never replace.

This was not a life she wanted and the idea sealed her eyes closed, flashes of red dancing across her vision as a painful tearing of her heart began, slowly ripping from top to bottom. She grieved her mother’s death and yet embraced it, eager to be rid of the mental disturbances that caused her so much pain. She was not designed for these emotions and banished them quickly in favor of the stillness that had kept her calm under her mother’s sickly hand, groping in places she could no longer control but still claimed her own. She would remain so scarred until her own death came to pass, ridding her finally of tender relapses of the past that she was trying to hard to escape. It was over now and yet it had just begun…

It speaks to me
and says I'm coming for you

crushed and filled with all I found
underneath and inside, just to come around
more, give me more, give me more

pixel is by RELI<3

• Feel free to magic on her, but no murder.

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather
L E N A

Listlessness, languid and soft, curled, unfurled with winter’s vapor. They crawled amongst the runes, timeless and archaic, but clinging desperately to an eternal nothingness that drove shivers down her spine. The open, vacant world of the Steppe, with all its luster and beauty, could not contain the aching barbs of their wounded souls, of their desolate contortions, of their dedication and despondency. Children of the forlorn, the desolate - still and silent, trapped in the boughs of pariahs, combing the shattered remnants of bitter earth for a morsel, a sliver, of something to call their own again. The nymph wandered the chilling world and craved life, yearned for the intoxicating rhapsody of shelter, sanctuary, a homeland that would cling to their hearts, foster their souls, burn and churn in their mind – but naught ignited. The hush, once a humming token of song and reverie, was now a sullen reminder of what they’d become: broken, splintered things. Yet, here she was again, in the shards of the Threshold, searching, seeking, foraging for the newcomers that could render them whole again, breathe life into lesions, bring hope in the shades of darkness. An old habit, clinging to her soul since her deliverance to a castle she once cherished, ushering in the foreign lives that could restore, that could repair, revive. Even when there was a mere slivered portion of a kingdom left, the bedlam ruins they slunk within, she maneuvered into the depths of the gateway, longing to return with another. The layers of evergreen mysticism touched her sienna body, but she did not preen or dance in the hovering doldrums, did not waltz along the intertwining branches or sing in the harpsichord brambles. Instead, her limbs pulled against the weight of snow and embraced the scorn the icicle palisade had given them, lofty, cumbersome, everlasting. Only when the tug of others, strangers in the mist, pulled against her senses did she reclaim the bright glimmer of a smile. What lay in the abyss today?

She traced the scents that piqued and fell, stale, fading glimpses of others that had traversed and found their refuge, others that were crisp, fresh, eager for that promise of absolution, of forgetting their tremors, their tribulations, their tragedies; beginning anew. Lena, nymph and fae, chose one in particular to follow, dabbling in the snowfall, in the wind, in the juncture of vibrant silence, clinging to the vital hallways of strength, vigilance and resolve when it appeared as if there was no reason to do so. When she stumbled upon the femme, horned (like a bramble of thorns – where is the rose?), Stygian and murky, she felt that puncture, that laceration, of a chill nestled in her heart. A rancorous reminder of a world lost, of a heritage fostered by malevolence, malice and contempt, the acrimony and bestial shades of glory that sacrificed virtue and benevolence for the savage edge of triumph. She narrowed her gaze for a few slender seconds, poised her body in the shadows of pine and fostered that stalwart, valiant assurance over her soul once more, pinning it to her chest, her face, and embraced that warm countenance of yesteryear, felt her grin return, not broad, not luminescent, but there, honeyed and genuine all the same. When she stepped out from the veiled portal, she was herself again. Offering a nod of welcome to the fellow mare, she washed the icicle world in color, the sweet, tender, mellifluous vocals of her songbird serenity passing through her lips. "Greetings, I am Lena. Who are you?" A graceful pause, clever eyes meeting the femme’s darker, tenebrous gaze, finding perseverance bubbling in her satin entity, and briefly wondering if this mare had it within her too, before gesturing her tones again. "What do you seek?"

Psilo

Somber light was blocked from the rear and the muscles in her thin neck contracted slowly to her right, ogre eyes feasting hungrily upon a mahogany intruder. The words she spoke fell upon deaf ears as they gazed upon each other, moments in time that were frozen in discomfort as silence ensued. Thoughts would not become action as the hell-dog sat idly before the horned vessel of light. No real assumptions had been made of the squawking disturbance, but she was surely more heartfelt then the shadowy beast in whose company was sought. In a moment of weakness and perhaps annoyance, hollowed tunes slipped through thin, cracked lips. “And how should it concern you?” Tired, black eyes came to rest on those of brown with a mild look of curiosity. This mare looked nothing like her own incestuous relative, so it could not be a reincarnated façade of the demon herself. In that moment of realization, her shoulders relaxed now and she finally shifted to face the other, her steady gaze unwavering and yet so very empty. Nothing lie in their depths, no hopes, no emotions, no compassion…

A bitter moment passed between them, where upon a gust of wintry air moved in from the north and chilled the atmosphere. The frozen one then took the time to ponder this mare’s obvious fascination in her presence and a small smirk part her lips. The feature looked strange upon her face, as no such displays of amusement had crossed her path in years.

Beyond them, the world shifted ever so slightly and that wave pressed between them slowly, creating tension that perhaps was only susceptible to the crow with no wings. If it had affected her, she was sure to hide it well, but then again there was a small tremor of abhorrence that crept alone her spine, a small reminder of the fear that she had felt in the company of her incestuous mother. As if to rid herself of the sickening sixth sense, she grated her teeth, crunching the obvious pressure that had consumed her, body and soul. The war that had been waged internally was silent as the brittle mare returned once more to her present company.

Lena was her name, one that held elegance in the very sound of it, but she saw no elegance here. Just a plain animal dressed in horn to parade as some mythical fantasy that should never have come into existence. Both appeared to be fairies in a dreamlike existence that was real and yet so unreal. At that, the mare’s whole life had seemed to be surreal, one nightmare after another, never allowing her to surface from an endless slumber that darkened her days little by little. For years she had desperately cried to the heavens, asking what she had done to deserve such devastation and no answers ever came.

She watched Lena now, abandoning her reverie for something of more substance. Those dark eyes followed her every movement, the soft rise and fall of her chest, the stray threads of matted mane that flew about in the winter breeze; it was a moment that she would sear into the back of her mind, a moment of pure normalcy that warmed her icy heart if only for a short time. Again the words bubbled from her throat to the quite air, rasping from misuse like an old dog. “I seek nothing that you can offer, though I wonder what it is you seek here in my presence.” The message was clear, though curt, due to the wraith’s lack of grace in the company of another. All she had ever known were the nauseating words of infatuation spoken quite frequently by the old witch. The thought made her stomach twist, creating once again a hunger that could not be satisfied by victuals of the herbal breed.

Swallowing the sensation, she shifts once more, nostrils flared as if spooked by some unseen force before calming again. “You’ll call me Chernobyl… as courtesy beseeches me.

It speaks to me

pixel is by RELI<3

L E N A

She’d lived, survived, through the melancholies, the dirges, and the requiems, of sin. She’d set her eyes upon slates of mutinies, borne the brunt of calamity, felt the scourge of sieges postured against her heart and mind, felt her soul split into pieces from the weight of disdain, from the bitter lacquering of blood, and remained, persevered. The might, the valiancy, the stalwart incense that bloomed in her frame, that blossomed from the ruins of immorality, that held vicious roots, entangling and embroiling their harpsichord notes into her veins so that the rest of the world may hear her sing, may see her dance, may witness her thrive, beat a steady crescendo even as the world came crashing at her feet. Her honeyed eyes, beneficent and cordial, remained poised upon the morose, resentful femme as she fed barbs to the nymph, and for a few moments, Lena allowed them to puncture. Empty and hollow, unmerciful and ruthless, their callous blades wound an incision into the fae, and she listened to their tune, shifted her ears to perceive the sunken sound. She’d been taunted like this so many times before, heard the chilling call of uselessness, of inadequacy, of ineptitude directed towards her rings of solace, and had once let them sink into her lungs, render her that haunted, gaunt youth of desolation and forlornness, where the trees curled their leaves around her frame and sheltered her from the storms. But here, now, in the carnivore reverie of the Threshold, where dangers lurked and virtues barely mustered, she refused to coil back into the branches and boughs, she spurned weakness, and she prevailed, persisted, without withering, without decaying. And where the crisp spurn of cruelty had launched its assailment, she only offered the radiance, the calm compassion of her own rapturous candor. Vocals, dulcet and mellifluous, sprung from her lips: gentle and forgiving, elegant and refined, ghosting minuet chords to grace the sullen ones, to extend the rich harmony that she possessed. The mare’s dismissal of herself was itself disregarded, shoved aside by the guile, the cunning, of the sylph. "You don't know me, or what I could bestow." Even a smile wove itself into her lips, welcoming and genuine despite its small bounty, a forgiving heart amongst the war drums and acrid air. Always vivid, bright, illuminating - the warmth in the surly glow.

She asked her own question, this Chernobyl, and Lena, ethereal nobility, listened with her hushed atmosphere of strength and resilience. What did all recruiters seek from the Threshold but the ability to add life to their herd? And in this case, to render her broken, band whole, to complete some cycle of vigor, force and might that had been erased in the looming, gloomy days after the invasion, when they disappeared into the mist, into the abyss, of snow and ice. Her grin still remained, a passionate display of her ardency, delicacy and fervor, answering her all the more, the scathing, scalding, sharp interlude of flesh and soul. What had brought her here, what had simmered in her heart, what had battered her into this vessel of scorn – for this was not how babes were born, splintered and miserable. "I wish for my herd to regrow."

Psilo

Around them, the world was hauntingly silent, as if all eyes had turned to look upon the pair with ominous discontent. The Threshold was a mild place, unlike the various darkened crevices of Helovia that concealed such devilish creatures, mere mongrels to the face of life. No one noticed these lifeless souls, not unlike herself, though she couldn’t imagine why. The land gave meaning to these ghosts that wandered, gave a heart to those with none, perhaps like the Wizard in Oz. Her thoughts began to drift again, gently curving along the stream of consciousness that meandered into the recesses of her mind. There she found sullen unease, burning in the low light like a campfire that was about to die out. The shadows that pressed in around it were fervent to avoid illumination, while some took their chances and erupted into flames, examples for those who were hesitant to follow. Turn after turn, they exploded, bursting into light as the fire grew weaker. In the remaining seconds as the fire died away, she felt breathless and trapped before the darkness swallowed her entirely.

Through the tunnel and back to reality, she returned to Lena’s side, expressionless and quiet though slightly anxious. Her mouth had parted as panting persisted and her eyes had narrowed marginally. Any place would be better than this… this sullen reminder of a home that she longed to erase but was forced to remember. She shifted in the cold as her hind legs had become sore from bearing her substantial weight. Clouds had rolled in above them now and nothing could hide them from the mysterious awakening of the rain. The heavens had yet to cry, though the impending tears were inevitable. “If I could be so bold as to wonder what has caused your number to diminish?” It was a curious question due to the impartial nature of the mare since she really had no interest in the matter either way. If she was being recruited to the lowly ranks of some dying empire she had no desire to employ her allegiance whereupon her life would merely become part of the robbery in which she had enlisted.

Her tunes had softened now and perhaps a trace of understanding lingered in the remainder of her otherwise dry agreement. “I suppose that should you inform me of you’re herd’s purpose, I might consider a plea to join you… if the terms are agreeable.” Her gaze had left the other animal entirely, ashamed at such weakness in the need to belong. It was a trait that embedded itself in the core of her breeding but defied all she had come to know after such a grueling childhood. Did she really want to align herself with another after such trust had been broken so long ago?

In truth, part of her wished to depend on another if only to free herself of such obligations, but fear and anger left her crippled and indecisive. Blackened eyes look upon Lena, a surge of confusion tainting her thoughts before leaving her entirely lost once again. Words were the only thing left to save her as words were the only thing she had to rely on. There were no promises, no guarantees that could salvage the sense of mistrust building in her gut. If this was her destiny, she would know it and she would follow willingly and serve to the best of her ability in whatever tasks required her assistance.

[OOC: I’m sorry, this was really… scatter-brained.]

It speaks to me

pixel is by RELI<3

L E N A

Enameled strength and layered weakness brewed in the morose convictions of the Threshold, from the wandering gazes flickering to memories long since banished or those far too fresh, sliding and toiling amongst the calm ignition of desolation and despondency. Lena’s eyes, unfailingly benevolent, watched the mare encased in shadow, in melancholy, adrift in the rich sea. How often she too could be like that, wrapped around the chains of yesterday instead of the platitudes of present – but always, eternally, everlasting, she chose the might of perseverance, of will, of deliverance to the shackles of withering pasthoods. Her pervading sweetness made the light of day wholesome, made the evenings comforting, made the daunting tides of tomorrow become intrepid dreams. But what had Chernobyl seen, what had she wrought, what had she preened and taken from her life before (because there was always a prior life that gleamed and prospered, diminished and relinquished that made them who they were, swallowing or blossoming) venturing into the wide expanse of this solace? What curved her into this sorrow, and what could alight her strings to the pathway of contentment and rapture? And was it wrong that she yearned to help provide that buoyancy, that gift to absolution, that polish to forgiveness? Midnight florets and veiled blossoms, reclaiming the luminescence if day, led away from the dimmest caverns to the opulence, to the brightness, of majesty and nobility, regality that couldn’t be found in the crisp fortitudes of history. How many times have we seen Hell, and still find that passage to virtue?

But Chernobyl asked about the herd, the old life destroyed and scattered, and Lena felt like she was a hypocrite, to wallow in the murky depths again, to cast her small form into the shallow waters of recent destruction. The pain lingered, a residual effect of loss, sacrifice and defeat, but gradually, that wound would close, and the hounding dogs of war would slip away from the terrible villainy she’d inflicted, conspired and wrought for naught. Her voice carried the quiet tune of haunting dulcets, croons that touched upon a victory obsolete, simplistic, no insight driven, no knowledge told – to delve deeper would be to lurch, plunge and flounder amongst the runes of destruction, mayhem and chaos all over again. Truly, she didn’t dare. “We were invaded.” And would the mare care about this? Would she laugh at how they’d lost? Would she complain about a world that couldn’t fend for itself? Would she refuse to come with her, to a weakened platitude of ruined castles? But oh, the things she could say, the hopes she could spark, the dreams she could embark upon, the force, the vigor, she could surmise – was it dashed now, because they had fallen once? Her gaze still held aloft upon the darkened femme, answering questions that continued to sprout from her lips (but had the words softened a degree, had they hastened to something warmer?), purpose, the purpose of the herd. That query Lena could answer with confidence, and renewal flickered in her heart, stirred in her lungs, weaving the smile back across her mouth, birds’ songs and flowers’ petals, soft, strong, and mighty. “We long to thrive again.” Her heart sculpted a whisper and sent it aloft, silent and dreaming - Don’t you too?

Psilo
[Image: 50c3cfe45dfd7]

Chernobyl

At the core of her heart, the fibers were strung tight, bearing no resemblance of a life well lived. The holes and cracks threatened to make the chord snap and only inky hatred would remain. In moments of weakness, she dreamed. She dreamed of light and freedom, though ethereal chains bound her to this earth in which demons graced the helms with terrible vengeance. Their eyes were bottomless as if in them you could find fortunes of death, lives broken and then later forgotten. At times she thought about these devils, pondering how they walked the grey expanse of the merged alliance between Heaven and hell. They did not speak because of their incredible knowledge, their voices ripped from dry throats with no more than a mere glance of solemn fate. Day by day, they could only observe and witness the pains of those loved, of those lost… until the end of the earth became visible and they disappeared without a trace. Where they went, she wasn’t sure, but she wondered if they had completed tasks to lead them to golden gates. Somehow though, she doubted that blessing ever crossed their path. In fact, there was no fooling anyone into believing that the Gods graced them with any such mercy. Into the flames did they conspire and burn eternally, like her heart, though it still beat, the sound was nearly indecipherable.

Opening her eyes to a realization that had formerly evaded her, she looked upon Lena in a new light. Though she was not robed in white and her angelic figure was that of a common Unicorn, perhaps she would understand the raven’s desires to grow. You’ll help me… It was a passing thought that wanted vanish the moment it arose, but part of her wanted to believe that this mare would bring change. And perhaps she could, though Chernobyl was hesitant to ask. A frozen chill course along her spine at the idea and she grew quiet once more, folding into herself just as she had done so many times beneath that hideous gaze of sickly love. Her emotions pushed and pulled, tearing her heart in so many ways that it was almost hard to ignore the sudden tightening in her chest, in her throat.

To live again… I’d like to join you.” The words were breathless and altogether unexpected. Cool reluctance seemed to evaporate and for a moment the walls began to fall, though that moment in time was short. The air was palpable now, as dark eyes looked on hopelessly. It was an overwhelming fear that wrought her mind as she considered the ramifications of trusting another, depending on another. But life… it was something that she could not ignore.

But oh, I'm staring at the mess I made
As you turn, you take your heart and walk away

pixel is by RELI<3