the Rift

enemies and empathies [psyche]

Bazilisk Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

B A Z I L I S K
I do not desire to hear your words, nor you mine.

Thick, heavy coils unwound from the Dragon Throat's tree. They relaxed their suffocating grip, leaving the tree weeping trees of red sap, blood that beaded on the cracked bark in rivulets and droplets. Black scales, a natural armor nearly impossible to penetrate, dropped onto the ground with a dull thud that echoed throughout the Throat. It was night, for Bazilisk preferred the night over the day, his sulfurous green eyes adjusted easily to it. The tree creaked behind him, adjusting itself as the snake's several-tonne body fell to the ground, slithering over the terrain with a fluidity hard to match by any four-legged creature.

Bazilisk snorted, head tilting. A red tongue flickered out from between pearl teeth- no, not pearl, for they were still stained with blood from countless kills to feed on. He was a predator, a massive predator who could no longer hunt the prey he wanted most. The snake sighed thinly, sick of sand. He loved heat, truly, for it was one of the few temperatures he could feel, but sand grains wiggled into the cracks between his scales and rubbed there uncomfortably, unforgiving.

The little night huntress, his prisoner, was somewhere within speaking distance, probably under the shadow of the tree. He admired her, her hard unforgiving ways, though he would never say that. And he certainly wouldn't tell Leander and Kri that! Kri. No, the serpent did not like Kri. He had done what her informants couldn't! And still she had scolded him like an unruly hatchling, and turned her temper on Psyche. Such a leader was stupid, letting her emotions run away with her. One should always take the higher road, which the sultana certainly hadn't done. At least Leander controlled himself with a strong will. Kri was a hothead, a fiery actress. A low hiss gathered in his throat, exhaling through curled lips at the thought of the stocky little bird-horse.

He returned his attention to whom he was guarding. Who was she? What had she done that was so bad? Species kept to themselves. Unicorns had horns upon their brows, pegasi wings upon their shoulders, equines nothing. They were cousins, not family, in the same way he was cousins to dragons and dracoons, both of whom basilisks avoided and disliked.

"Speak to me, Psyche. Tell me about yourself. Tell me why."

[STRICTLY for Psyche only.]

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil

It was night, and for this she was grateful. She had spent her fair share of time in the daylight of late, as she assumed the role that Mauja had so thoughtlessly vacated. Her followers, her kindred, they all preferred the light of day. It was easier to see, for them, easier to forage, or fight, or whatever else it was that normal beings did. But not her. She was a creature of shadows, of darkness. It was a comfort to her, to be wrapped in it, shrouded by that which had become a part of her very name. She was not tired; she preferred not to sleep in the night, when she could accomplish so much, when she could plan, or carry out plans, when she could scout, or steal, or attack. It was so much easier to gain the element of surprise.

But that night, she did none of those things. Her captor was nearby - she could sense his presence - and for her to act against those he considered family would be a very foolish thing, indeed. But one wondered: did he consider them kin, after all? The jackal thought back to her arrival, when the Snake had been congratulated, albeit uneasily, by one lead, only to be admonished by the other. Neither had any true respect for the Serpent and his talents - did they give him leave to reside here out of fear? Certainly it was not out of mutual affection. A sneer crossed her maw briefly. It was a waste, such a shame. She would utilize him, if given the chance. She would not even hold her capture against him. He acted to do as his leaders bid - he was loyal to them, if they were not to him. There was no sin in that.

And he was fascinating to her. Perhaps she felt a certain kinship with him, several of her own qualities serpentine in nature. She liked him, a hard enough accomplishment for her own kind, much less one who had stolen her away from her responsibilities. And yet, here she was, in the dead of night, considering the asset that was the Snake thief. How strange her life had become, that she would view him with any other emotion than hatred, fury. "Speak to me, Psyche. Tell me about yourself. Tell me why." The voice was a hiss from the dark, appearing from nowhere, and yet it came as no surprise to the shadow-mare.

How should she answer his question? What was he asking of her? To tell him about herself would be impossible - she did not describe herself well, and even if she did, she would like as not lie. And did he not know why? Why would he steal her without knowing why he did so? How could he not know of her perceived crimes? Is it possible that they trusted him so little that he was entirely out of the loop? It was incredible - how did they expect to hold their minions without giving them even the illusion of trust? The Dark Empress would use this; she would use him, though not in the way that she used others. The Snake, she would value.

"The Qian and their allies, including your leaders, invaded my home and exiled my family to the far northern wastelands of Helovia. We have taken three of them prisoner, something that I am not ashamed to admit. I am not sure what your leaders hope to gain by my imprisonment, but that is why they have requested my presence." It was an honest answer, lacking, perhaps, in detail, but honest nonetheless. "What else would you like to know, Snake?" She address him in her usual tones, but with respect; she trusted that he would recognize the difference, having heard her address the Sultans so unkindly previously. Still, it was a seductive nature that she had, and her words reflected such.

[W/C | xxx]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Unregistered

B A Z I L I S K

And the mare answered. The Qian and their allies, including your leaders, invaded my home and exiled my family to the far northern wastelands of Helovia. We have taken three of them prisoner, something that I am not ashamed to admit. I am not sure what your leaders hope to gain by my imprisonment, but that is why they have requested my presence. What else would you like to know, Snake? Families taken, families misplaced. Bazilisk hummed very softly, eyes unblinking and sharp as he watched the stars. Maybe it was because he had been driven out.

"My name is not Snake, mare." Is what the serpent responds. He does wonder why nobody has told him this. He wonders why nobody cares for him. Mostly, he is curious as to why he likes, even admires this mare. "I ask you this because I feel I am not aware of the forces in Helovia. I think I have allied myself with bird-horses who know not enough of warfare." There is a clenching in his gut.

He wants to let her go.

"Listen, Psyche. The only thing I know is that when a family has been driven from their home, no matter why or what they have done, no-one deserves to be condemned to the fate of being lost." His voice is sharp, and cold, and filled with an emotion unidentifiable by any horse or unicorn. Basilisks have named it 'shrriaknisssa'. It is untranslatable, unexplainable. "I am sick of lies and sick of deceit. I want meat and blood on my tongue, the blood of horses. I hunger for it, lust for it, constantly. I need someone who can provide me that gift."

The snake is unpredictable, and tired of the Throat. His black coils contract into a new form, and he tastes the air. "Can you provide it for me." It was not a question. "Can you provide me knowledge and somewhere beautiful and will you trust me, instead of treating me as a dumb brute?" Like Kri had. He added silently. He was stronger than her, quicker than her. Haven't you ever heard the expression 'faster than a striking snake'? She hadn't appreciated him catching the mare who had evaded all her sleuths and sneaks. "Will you allow a snake the ability to do as he wishes, mostly? Will you appreciate my talents?" He hisses, and he knows the blood-lust is nearly on him. And he will make a personal vendetta for Kri, out of simple dislike of her treatment of him.

"If you say 'yes', I will set you free and you will take me with you. If you don't provide me good enough reasons for joining you, you lose a promising ally, and your chance at freedom."

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

There is something in his voice, something that she cannot name, and yet something with which she can relate. She knows that there is much of his past of which he won't speak, many emotions coursing through him that he will not relay. She wonders if her guess is correct, if he feels used and lied to. She knows that she would, if she were him; and somehow, she wants to give him more than the promise of mistrust. His restraint, his control of his most primal instincts, impresses her more than anything else thus far, and she knows that should he cross to her side, his loyalty, his blood-lust, his protection, his skills - all will be utilized and appreciated, at least by her, and certainly by some of her brethren. Not all of them - no, many of them will greet him with fear. But some of them - and the faces roll through her mind in quick succession - some of them will see the gains that will accompany the great Serpent.

She allows him to finish speaking, and then ponders his words for a moment. The choice is any easy one for her, as drawn as she is to the Snake. "My home now is fresh, newly gifted to my kin by the God of Time," she begins. "It is beautiful as no other land I have seen. It would suit you well, I think. As I would suit you well. You are unappreciated here. Even I, an outsider and a prisoner -" the word is a sneer "- can see that you make the Sultans uneasy. How can they put you to proper use if they do not trust you? You have many talents, many skills - you are a better thief than their highest ranking sneak, you are gifting them with better protection than they could ever hope to attain without you."

She pauses. Her words ring with truth, a tone that is often left unused by the Empress. She may lie, and she may sneak, and she may be deceitful, but she has every desire to gain the Snake as an ally and, perhaps, as a friend, or as close to one as the jackal can get. Of course she has ulterior motives - of course she does, doesn't everyone? - but her motives with hold her actions in check where he is concerned, and will rule how she treats him. Is that not enough? "You may hunt whatever you wish, though I would ask that you refrain from making my - your, if you wish - brethren your next meal. And, if you are to accompany me and mine, I should know your name."

[W/C | xxx]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Unregistered

B A Z I L I S K

A roof of stars over his head- a glitter of shiny things. A pretty land for his bed; one or two to call his friends. A place where they, more might at least, understand. And a place where he has the freedom to eat what he pleases. Her words may act as a poison, slippery things they are, but Bazilisk knows his recklessness.

And so he accepts it.

"Come, Psyche." It is his only words and his body curls and twists over the sand, leaving a faded track behind him. Yes, it isn't kindly of him to set the mare free and leave to join the enemy, but life is harsh and it isn't fair. Selfish as it may be, only Leander has done anything to hope to gain Bazilisk's loyalty. Bazilisk does feel poorly for leaving the pegasus so, but there is only the sultana to blame.

He is a snake. Snakes are solitary creatures who do what they want, when they want, and control their own actions. The once-Artisan knows he may regret leaving. He knows he feels sickening awful for Cera, his apprentice. Poor, poor Cera.

"My name is Bazilisk. I will not give you words of thanks. I am a basilisk, and need to be treated as such. I should be feared in this land, not loved." There is darkness in his heart and guilt in his chest, but the snake will lead the way out, and only pray the gods will understand.

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil
[OOC | Shall we continue in the Basin?]