Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: 38 months
Alex
prints-of-stock@deviantart
burtn@deviantart
kittykitty5150@deviantart

I saw the mirror starin’ back at me.
And it told me I’m a self machine
------" Tares "------

My initial response upon hearing the shriek of the mongoose hitting the flame is horror. Even in an act of defense I have killed, and having never killed before, I feel a strange, empty feeling well up within me. It is as if I have lost all sense of honor and dignity with merely a strike of my tail and the death cry of a predator. Protection was never meant to harm- by it's very nature as a defensive art it is meant to keep one out of harm's way. No, all. Even as the egg pulses with warmth under the crook of my knee, I feel wretched and wicked. I feel as if I am entirely to blame for the accidental death.

And then a wild thought crawls from the depths of my failing conscience and creeps into the corner of my thoughts. Doe the mongoose's life even matter? It was vacant and surely pointless- could such a creature even contain an intelligent thought? I begin to wonder why life is so highly valued if it can be taken so swiftly and undeservedly from the brave. There are those who have done great services to those in their life, and there are those that are, perhaps, dispensable. I wonder which one I am- I wonder which this damned egg even is.

But no, even if I feel the darkness of injustice and imbalance that presides over this twisted world I live in, I feel a connection to the fire within the fragile shell. In that moment, however... all else seems unimportant. If life could be taken from my father, why not from those less honorable, who intend to harm?

Why not from the vulture that seeks my prize?

My wings rise up and create a vast curtain over myself and the egg as the vulture dives in seemingly slow motion, and for the first time, I put all my energy into making the fire burn dangerously. The bird certainly won't make it past my wings unsinged.

[Awesome, thanks.]

"Speak"

Messages In This Thread
Born of Fire - by Random Event - 06-24-2012, 09:30 PM
RE: Born of Fire - by Tares - 06-24-2012, 10:00 PM
RE: Born of Fire - by Random Event - 06-28-2012, 07:10 PM
RE: Born of Fire - by Tares - 06-28-2012, 11:13 PM
RE: Born of Fire - by Random Event - 07-01-2012, 10:40 PM
RE: Born of Fire - by Tares - 07-04-2012, 10:55 PM
RE: Born of Fire - by Random Event - 07-06-2012, 12:11 AM
RE: Born of Fire - by Tares - 07-06-2012, 12:32 AM
RE: Born of Fire - by Random Event - 07-08-2012, 02:52 PM