the Rift

Blessing of a Smile [Open, Aryel]

Athena2 Posts: 48
Dragon's Throat Pupil
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1hh :: 4 Years 8 Months
Adoptable

Humming split the air in an entirely pleasant way, filling it with little melodies and soft laughter when they didn't completely flow. These little notes of music came from the throat of a palomino mare, long lion tail flickering and dragging in the snow as the wings tipping it fluttered contently. Athena had ventured once again from the borders of the Dragon's Throat, comfortable with the distance between her desert homeland and the Threshold. Life was getting harder in her home, where temperatures- already devastatingly cold during the warmer seasons- dropped frighteningly at night. Yet Athena, whom hated the cold, could not on this day bring herself to spite it. The mare was much too joyous on this evening to care that her poor plants were freezing. They would return next season, as they always had and always would.

Snow drifts wouldn't impede her progress although she could truthfully say she had no idea what she was doing. Many creatures came to the Threshold to look for a home. Athena desired company, as she almost always did. A kind smile always made a good day even better. And what better place to look for company than the Threshold, where almost every hoof passed through at some point? And so that was what had drawn the flea bitten palomino to the forested place, flicking her long tail and prancing whenever it suited her. Though she lingered towards the southern edge- even she knew that peace did not last- ready to flee back to the Throat at the shortest distance, she had no true path at that moment. "I wonder where all the curious little ones are..." she mused. It was always endearing to her to see the unsure newbies searching for a home in Helovia.

Aryel Posts: 229
Dragon's Throat Soldier
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.4 :: 4
FennecFyre
Aryel snuffled in the powdery snow, using her nose to flick away the cold flakes in an effort to find the grass below. Something had to be surviving this cold snap. Finally succeeding in uncovering a few wilted blades, Aryel found herself wishing spring would come soon. She liked snow well enough, it was fun to play in and made everything look pretty. If only it didn't kill off the vegetation in the process. Munching grass, Aryel's ears swiveled as she caught the faint sounds of humming. Always curious, sometimes too much for her own good, she finished off the patch of grass and trotted off in the direction of the sound.

Peeking through the low-hanging pine branches, Aryel wasn't sure what to make of the mare in front of her. Her body build was like a pegasus, but in place of a regular tail was a long, almost serpentine one topped with two lightly fluttering wings. She blinked. Wings on a tail. It wasn't all that odd-looking, though. Elegant, in a way. Aryel cleared her throat, stepping out of the shadows. "Good afternoon." she said, whisking her tail. "Although I suppose it would be a better afternoon if this snow wasn't quite so heavy."
Thanks for the good times, and no hard feelings for the bad times.

Vicer and Aryel's new threads never happened.

Dragon's Throat Pupil
Adoptable

Hazel eyes crinkled as the mare smiled. She was no filly, the eyes on her form were noticed and taken in stride. Athena wasn't blind to her surroundings. Waiting instead for the unknown creature to step forth from the shadows cast by withering trees. Shuffle of snow signaled the approach that the wingless pegasi had been waiting for. Turning with a welcoming smile and warm eyes, tail swaying and brushing the top of the snow as the little wings beat happily. Soft laughter escaping as the fae stepped into her line of sight, notin that the doll had wings. Athena didn't regret being born wingless, she was quite content with all four hooves neatly and firmly on the ground she had never parted from.

it was true that the snow killed off everything, but Athena's meeting with Andash had stopped her from brooding about in it. Yes, she loathed the snowy season, but she could no less control the weather as she could control the color of her eyes. "I'm inclined to agree, dear. They kill off my plants, and divest us of food. But it's brought us both here today, hasn't it?" Smiling with a pleasant twinkle in her orbs. Letting the mare decide whether or not she wished to venture closer.

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre
Aryel's posture relaxed as it was confirmed the other mare was no threat. She bobbed her head in agreement to the horse's words. "Yep. It seems that the plants still cling to life where thick forests are present." She looked up at the silent, dark pines surrounding them. "If the trees don't choke them out first." Her gaze went back to the mare as her muzzle twitched once, catching the scent of other horses on her. "Are you in a herd?" she asked with a tilt of her head. "I thought I would find herd patrols around here, since it seems to be the only route deeper into the peninsula. But then I found this crazy-looking bird, and chased it around for a bit, so I guess I missed any herdies that might've come my way."

It occurred to Aryel that she hadn't even introduced herself. "Oh, the name's Aryel, by the way. I'm from Redrock Valley, although I doubt anyone will have heard of it out here."

(I think I'm going to say this thread took place before she went to the Throat. Also, she's not lying about the bird. One of Cassiopeia's constellations paid her a visit in her first thread.)

Dragon's Throat Pupil
Adoptable

Athena smiled, amused by her enthusiastic bobbing agreement. She was hardly a woman herself in years yet she felt so much older mentally.Humming contemplatively as she too eyed the trees. "It's a give and take I suppose. Some winters the plants win- others, the trees do." Laughing softly at her curiosity. It was obvious with how many scents clung to her coat that she as part of the Throat. Everywhere she went people knew that. Nodding to appease the girl's interest. "Actually yes, I am. I'm a proud member of the Dragon's Throat."

After she admitted to chasing a bird around and missing what she searched for, Athena smiled and readjusted her mane with a flick of her head. Leonine tail swaying comfortably, little wings beating slowly. "They come on occasion to recruit members. However with Frostfall being so harsh, and the past battle, many are needed far more at home than wandering about." At least that was her assumption on the matter. The newly named Aryel introduced herself and Athena tilted her head quizzically. "You're correct I have never heard of such a place. I am Athena."

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre
Dragon's Throat. She memorized the name, privately wondering why it was named after a dragon's maw. Horses wouldn't settle there if the environment was extremely hostile, right? She had also been thinking about the winter being unduly harsh, and was relieved to find out the denizens of Helovia thought of it as odd too. At least every winter wasn't this cold here.

The name Athena suited the poised, calm mare, but it was the mention of a fight that grabbed Aryel's attention. "Battle?" she asked, ears flicking forward. "What happened? Who were you fighting against?" She found herself concerned, and yet intrigued. Some part of her, deep down and long-suppressed by peaceful living, quickened her blood at the thought of fighting and defending one's home. Back in Redrock, the population had been mostly pegasi, with a small ethnicity of equines and unicorns. But nothing ever happened there. Many would consider it a blessing to live in such a peaceful home, but Aryel had become bored of doing the same thing day in and day out.

Dragon's Throat Pupil
Adoptable

Calm, mildly amused hazel eyes watched as talk of battle swayed Aryel into curiosity. She was not old, but she couldn't help a fond smile. Did battle truly warrant such excitement in those who had not experienced it? Then again, the femme did not know Aryel or what she had been through. Who knew if she had been through war? "Ah, a curious tale for a curious lass. The Throat was, and remains, allies to the Qian. This band, along with our forces, swept through the territory of The Edge, and took it over. Exiling the previous inhabitants to the Frostbreath Steppe." It was the truth, all summed up into a very short explanation. Athena did not participate in the fighting. She was inclined to heal, and therefore could not speak of horrific battles or the blood spilt. She only knew of the one they had lost, and though she had not known him she had mourned his passing.

Aryel's eyes were alight with an energy Athena understood, but one she didn't revel in or use anymore. How was it she felt so old? She was hardly approaching her fourth summer! Perhaps it was her inclination to medicine. It matured nearly every nurse and doctor Athena had come across, giving them a calm sort of understanding. Had she already been given this gift, despite only knowing natural maladies and how to fix them? Without magic, all she had was her knowledge of the various plants around her. Athena mentally reminded herself to visit the veins. In time, she told herself. "And you? What is it you wish to do, young Aryel? To be a warrior? A medic? A scholar? Entertain me, I have nothing but time." Smiling fondly at her and resting a hind leg patiently.

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre
Aryel thought on her story for a bit. It sounded like the stuff of songs, two groups joining forces for expel a common enemy.

Or, was it the other way around? Did they simply take it over for the territory?

No, she doubted it. Judging by this mare's calm, friendly disposition, the horses of the Edge had obviously done something to warrant being exiled. She didn't seem keen on going in-depth on the story, but Aryel's curiosity was a difficult thing to stop. "Why?" she asked. "What did the Edge do that would require an attack?"

She pondered Athena's next question. What did she want to do? "I've always been the exploring type, but if I was to join a herd I would want to do something to protect the borders." She looked at the mare again. "So, a fighter or a guard." Redrock had been a rather peaceful valley, the most exciting thing that usually happened was when predators went after a herd member, but they had never had to deal with rogues or hostile herds. As such, Aryel had yet to experience the real side of combat, the ugly fighting and killing side. The herd elders had told stories of ancient heroes and historic wars, but they were all antiquated stories that had been changed through every handing down.

Dragon's Throat Pupil
Adoptable

Aryel's curiosity was well recieved and anticipated by the Nokota mare. After all who wouldn't be intrigued by the challenges of the past? Athena heard many stories in the Throat and was pleased that she could inform Aryel on the things she wished to know about. Clicking her tongue thoughtfully at her question. "Is there ever a definite cause for war? Dislike, broken alliances, racism, differences of view, territory. It is always a combination of things."

Thought came over Aryel's face at Athena's question. Nodding thoughtfully at her answer. "That is a proud and difficult task. I wish luck upon you when you can ascend to such a position. I'm afraid I'll never be one to seek excitement," laughing softly at herself. "I do enjoy roaming about, but healing has always been my calling. It seems to temper even the wildest of minds." She had never regretted wanting to heal and doubted she ever would.

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre
Aryel had to admit that Athena had a point. Wars could indeed be fought over things that didn't really matter. The foals in Redrock, in an effort to preserve the peace the small herd enjoyed, were told about foolish wars in the past, where equine blood was split over who owned what patch of land, over whether having wings or a horn or neither made you superior. It sounded ridiculous. That, at least, had rubbed off on the independent mare.

She nodded her thanks as Athena wished her luck in becoming a warrior. "You're a healer?" she asked with interest. "Do you use herbs, or do you have actual magic?" Very, very few horses in Redrock had magical talents, and Aryel certainly didn't. The amulet she had received from the strange bird felt like it was magic, but she had yet to discover what it did, so for now it was just a pretty trinket.

Dragon's Throat Pupil
Adoptable

Athena's words seemed to convince something in Aryel. Athena prided herself on her calm way with words, and was pleased to see she had explained it in such a short fashion. Lengthy details had no meaning to her. There were storytellers for that, horses that could make you feel as if you were on the battlefield yourself. Athena enjoyed succumbing to these fake visions, but she preferred the short logical version as opposed to the fluff filled one. Aryel took her thanks in stride, which Athena found rather promising. Not one to gloat, and certainly not arrogant. Aryel would do very well wherever she ended up.

Her interest had Athena smiling and nodding. "Yes I am. I use herbs, as of now. However I have an appointment with the Gods, hopefully before Birdsong. There are plenty of births in that season. I would be extremely grateful for their gift of healing, but as of now I am only an expert in natural remedies." Either way she wasn't arrogant, and was grateful for what she had. It was why she rarely if ever fell sick, and for short periods of time at that. Healthy as a horse was a rather ironic idiom in this situation, but it was the truth.

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre
(OhcrudIforgotaboutthisIamsosorry D: But I'm having trouble figuring out what they should say next, or if we should just lock this thread. Aryel's in the Throat now, so the next time they meet they might have more in common to talk about.)