the Rift

winning .h e a r t s. [Faelene, open]

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil

It was one of those days on which winter seemed to take hold, rooting itself into the very fabric of the land, refusing to give way to the arrival of spring. Sprouts of green, so visible the day before, had been crushed under the last true snowfall of the season. Thick, grey blankets lay across the sky, blocking out the sun, leaving the afternoon dim and depressing. Even the rocks dotting the landscape wore ominous faces, drawn into long, silent screams. Perhaps it was fitting for the shadow-mare to reside in such a terrain, but she had to admit her hatred for days such as this. It was not the darkness or the undertone of desolation; these were normal for her. But the cold - she would forever curse the FrostHeart for bringing the exiles to a place so damn cold.

And then he disappeared. She snorted in frustration. Naturally, he wouldn’t stay to help them through the harsh Frostfall in the absence of the Sun God. Oh, no, he would get himself snatched up into some strange space-time continuum and be vacuumed to some other place of nothingness or somethingness or - Oh, who cares? He was probably nice and cozy wherever he was, while she was left here to pick up his mess. What business had she caring for his herd? They did not know her, most of them, and those that did knew that she had run before. Regardless of whether they were new or old faces, none of them trusted her, and wasn’t that essential to leadership?

The Plague, she could handle. She could prove herself to them. It was easy, in fact. Sure, some may never like her, but she wasn’t interested in their adoration. It was their allegiance that she required, their loyalty, and above all, their devotion to her cause. And this she had gotten. A small smile crossed her maw despite her dark thinking, and her orbs flickered with some distant emotion. It was a look that spoke of the darkness that filled her heart with fiery purpose, so opposite of the Ice King who had once sought her as his queen.

[W/C | 360]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Faelene Posts: 297
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Sica

The tease of Birdsong was not kind. The snows had softened, melting with pools of water hiding beneath what remained of their icy crust. The sunlight too, seemed to offer more warmth, awakening and ready for a new start. It would almost a bring a flicker of want, and hope. With a single storm those things were gone without a trace of ever having been. Then another wave of cold would start across the stretch of the land, living up to it's name of Frostbreath. It served a great reminder to herself there was no point in rooting for outcomes to change, or holding onto a slivers of hope. Everything changed, and too much was easily ripped away as if never having existed.

The mare's limbs worked their way through the snow returning from a patrol along the border. There were many a scent of other four legged, many she wished would leave them be in their cold kingdom. Did they not have what they wanted?Why should they want to wander here any way? Shouldn't this place be the last spot anyone would want to visit in Frostfall? A long breath pulling from her nostrils, her ears were pressed to her head if only to protect from the sharp wind, and reveal a tiny bit of her annoyance. The longer Faelene walk the easier it was to take control of her emotions, make them as dull as the ceiling above. Soon she would search for the open sea.

The last legs of her journey, it was not uncommon to see her kind along the shore. Today there was only one, a black mare she had little to do with. She knew few things about her. She was Snö's mother, she had fought in the invasion for their cause, and she had a fair collect of equine teeth and pegasus feathers. There was no doubting how she felt about the hornless. The red maned was cautious of what aura she carried. But, Faelene regarded her with a quiet stare from a distance, before trumpeting a short greeting. Seeing her there she knew she needed to change the fact they were strangers. With ears cupped forward, she stopped short of the mare's personal space. She had no words to say, not quite sure how this introduction would go nor wanting to comment on this harsh weather. Faelene would offer a short nod of the head, letting her eyes take in the coast. Maybe, Psyche wouldn't wish to converse

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

She was contemplating her predicament when the scent of another mare caught her attention. It was a mare that she had seen many times, the dark one with the bloody mane. Had she been here before the shadow-mare's disappearance? She couldn't remember. How sad, that her memory was so lacking that she couldn't remember such a simple thing - the red-maned wasn't exactly forgettable, after all. The jackal watched the fae approach, considering her options (let her pass or stop her to chat). Well, she would have to start winning them over sooner of later - it may as well start now.

She turned her bodice so that she was facing the femme's approach, adopting a welcoming stance. Her amber gaze watched, betraying no emotion, simply holding a look of interest. A soft whinny welcomed the red-maned into her presence, and words followed shortly. "Well, hello, there," she said in a tone that was positively jovial (for her, anyway). As ever, her words held the slightest hint of a hiss, as though her words came from the mouth of a silver-tongued serpent. But it was friendly nonetheless, or as much so as she could manage. Perhaps today she would earn a new recruit; in order to do so, she must win over even those who knew better than to trust her.

[W/C | 221]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Hidden Account
Sica

The lady offered in return a sound of hello, it was with that Faelene figured she could offer her company. The change in her posture did not hurt either, seeming more of an invite. It would seem they were both careful not to be to transparent. That was alright, Faelene though not prejudiced against mares found it harder to get along with the same sex at times. What was harder was pretending to be sweet and friendly. When Psyche spoke Faelene had not heard the lady speak, and her voice was certainly different. As if there was no intent of a threat, but to be taken carefully when heard. Half of her wondered if it was part of a gift, magic or something else.

Attention returned, she kept her own tones soft, friendly without the over kill."Good day. I'm pleased to actually meet you, Psyche. I'm Faelene, I believe your daughter is Snö ?" She would ask just to make sure she wasn't make wrong assumptions. While her silver eyes studied she could try to pick out the similarities to Snö, but had yet to notice what they had in common. It was still something to be learned if it even existed.

Shifting more comfortably in the snow, she made a point to pack down the ground. There was no point continuing to sink, and freeze all of her limbs. Still peering at the ground, she lifted her head barely to see the mare through her red locks. "You haven't seen Mauja lately have you? I possibly found another recruit and wanted to speak to him about it." She wanted to see what he thought of Slaiter, if better maybe he could "teach" the green toned Unicorn about friends and enemies.

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

Her voice had often been the subject of speculation, an odd mix, as it were, of seduction, poison, and sarcasm. It was very much alluring, though at the same time held a warding quality, much as a venus fly trap's nectar draws in its prey. Surely they, too, know that they are being lured to their death, but it promises sweetness and all manner of heavenly things, and they simply cannot resist. Faelene's vocals could not have been more different, being soft and friendly. A neutral sort of voice, the polite chimes of one making small talk with a stranger. Or perhaps not a stranger, in this case - the red-maned femme certainly knew who the jackal was - but rather an acquaintance. Yes, that seemed to be the more correct term.

"Sno is indeed my daughter," Psyche agreed easily. What an interesting specimen her offspring was. Physically, they bore no resemblance, as the youngling heavily favored her father, the FrostHeart. Everything from her icy pelt to her perfectly spiraled horn spoke of the Ice King's blood. Where Sno and her mother were similar was in mentality: both were disgusted by the lower species, and would never admit to having any sort of bond with one another, or most other creatures. But even in this sense, Sno had grown away from her mother's solitude and cruelty: she had procured a pet, Monster; a mechanical dog, Tarak; and a slave, Rapha. Psyche remained alone, without her king, without a companion, and even without her daughter. Of course, that was a bad habit of hers, alienating everyone in her life.

But who needed them, anyway?

"You haven't seen Mauja lately have you?" The question jarred her slightly, and as Faelene explained her need to speak with him, the shadow-mare began to shake her cranium in a telltale negative. "I have not," she lied. Of course, she had been the last to see him as he fell through that odd wormhole into some distant space-time continuum, but she wasn't about to admit to it. The last thing that she needed was for a rumor to start that she had something to do with his disappearance. She had been doing so well in gaining trust, and she was not about to let that get in her way. The taste of power was a strong, metallic tang in her mouth, and now that she had the bit between her teeth, she was not about to let go.

She felt as though she should add something, to make up for her rather short answer, to cover her tracks, so to speak. Even though she'd done nothing wrong. "His presence is sorely missed." There. And it was even the truth, too. The jackal had returned to make amends with the once-king, and now he had disappeared, along with her chance to reunite and ascend to queenship. Well, no matter. She would simply have to earn it. She always liked a challenge better, anyway. "I am sure that he would not object if you were to bring more unicorns to the herd. Gods know that we could use some new blood." She was not trying to usurp his power, no, that would be to straightforward with this one. She was smarter than the rest, and not of Psyche's organization. But the dark fae did stress that only unicorns would be accepted - that much, she would do.

[W/C | 569]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Hidden Account
Sica

A faint start of a smile eased on her black lips, but did not quite extend much. Faelene never smiled to smile. They were kept rare, small, and short. Fake ones bothered her, and it could be a reason they were infrequent. The simple gesture showed a slacken in this meeting.

Psyche confirmed the knowledge, and Faelene thought she might have detected a hint of pride in claiming her. What Faelene knew of Sno, she would not be ashamed. Though young Sno was certainly courageous and strong, knowing what she wanted. Their encounter with the sickening equine Faelene couldn't help wonder if the young lady would always be a target. A princess seemed quite wanted, and the red maned had yet to learn her pet still accompanied her or she had required a slave. These things would only put comfort to her mind seeing she was indeed not alone. Some how Faelene did not put it past the girl to give hell all on her own, she had witnessed it.

There was a pitch of disappointment felt inside her. Over the days the time she had seen him had waned, and it wasn't welcome to hear Psyche had not encountered him either. Was it true he couldn't be found? "Ah, I see," she replied her muzzle straightening the only sign of her internal emotion. There was nothing else for her to say, if she said something to the point he's gone isn't he it gave it life. She rather hold out a little longer to see the snowy stallion again.

Eyes upon the snow, the parts where it peaked in small ridges she tried to think of something to say, but the other dark lady beat her to it, voicing her own thought. "Yes, it is." She would still not dare say more. Mauja had no reason to leave...or did he? A brief turn of her head she checked the horizons to see if anyone was near, if he would come through his domain. It was white landscape dotted with nothing. Faelene slowly bobbed her head. She knew they could use numbers, and more strong soldiers. Her tuned voice slowly broke the short gap of silence. "After the invasion I was bound and determined, and took to scouting. I still can't stand the thought how they are there, and we are here. But, never again I tell myself," this she wore a dark, crooked grin of sorts. "I actually found a fellow, Tolio who has promised to help, strong and loyal." Her mask would change with faint sign of like. Then she met the eyes of Psyche, and her voice became careful. This..this other Unicorn, Slaiter, I wanted to em talk to Mauja about is a bit out there." Momentarily she let that digest, and continued, He's bit of an older fellow, but acts like a child. I caught him playing with a carcass, and talked him into a game. He seems a bit fearful to be harmed, and chases. With....Monster I had an idea he could be taught."

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

It was unexpected, for the red-maned to voice a sinister thought. She was soft-spoken, and that Psyche took for a weakness. Perhaps she should reevaluate her character analysis, if such a trait led her to assume that there was no violence to be found. She had never met such a being; her own family was outspoken with their anger, with their hatred, bugling their opinions even as they cut down those who would hear. Even here, after leaving their poisonous grasp, she had found only the passionate. The FrostHeart may have been more diplomatic than she, but soft-spoken, he was not. d'Artagnan, the doctor, was gruff. His nurse, Kou, was perhaps kinder, but it was a kindness that masked her superiority. Was Faelene like her? It was a foreign persona to the jackal, who felt no need to dull her sharp words, to hide her beliefs behind the facade of friendship. But then, that was why she had others to be diplomatic for her, was it not?

Even so, perhaps it was a skill that she should learn. She was beginning to understand the appeal, but only just - she still had not conceded to the demands of the masses, that she might be a better leader to create a mask, to tell them what they wanted to hear. Little did she know that she would be god-marked, chosen to lead in the absence of the King. But that is neither here nor there. If diplomacy remained unimportant, gaining the trust of those unicorns outside the Plague was the opposite; and so began her first attempts at winning over the hearts of her companions. Like Faelene.

And so it was that she found herself listening as the femme, whom she had apparently wrongly judged, discussed two potential recruits. They would be healthy, she assumed, and potentially racist. She could use them to her advantage, if they would come and stay. Perhaps Faelene herself would even prove useful, though nothing in her manner screamed supremacy. No matter; it was the shadow-mare's turn to speak. "Everyone can be taught," she spoke thoughtfully, considering the various options. "Perhaps he has talents that can be molded, as Monster's were; if he responds to games, games may be used to guide him."

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Hidden Account
Sica

ooc:i'm sorry for the wait on this. I figured I would just write an "ending" and you can reply or close.

Faelene adapted. Whether it was a base instinct, or part of herself made by cause of her environment it was something she did. Sometimes without thinking, other times knowing what needed to be done and she had to change. It wasn't like she meant to be a puzzle, but she hardly understood herself and if she was unsolved to the rest it was little surprise. That was why she adorned a mask, making herself questionable. It was easier if no one was sure of it all. That left room for doubt, kept guesses, and made it harder for assumptions to stick. Faelene was rarely fake, if at all, she was just shaded layers of different hues one fighting to over come the other. Though the red maned did not scream of lesser beings, and better ones it shouldn't be doubted how much she cared for her kind. It was a great deal easier to trust, and like Unicorns....feel like she belonged. What happened at the Edge had only heightened that sense, giving her little option outside the band of outcasts. She would be questioned on the other side of what she was, and mistrusted by appearance, association. What kind of life was that? Being looked down on, instead of counted as a comrade. She had had enough of that.

One thing she wanted to accomplish was soothing the prejudice, and gossip. So far she had not been questioned, but she had not met many outside the snowy borders. Something else she was bound to change, and continue working to see how this all would work out. If she could make more ties, collect more knowledge, and truly find where her own heart was. So far nothing swayed her to leave her kind, and retaliate against them. Many reasons they were made to appear the enemy, the other side had the same.

Expression unchanged she nodded, happy to hear no qualms but more of a reassurance. Faelene wasn't fond of upsetting the balance of things, or at least not by something she couldn't control. Psyche was certainly a calculating one, and it showed in her words and actions. Why she would never understand what had brought the Frostheart and this lady together, she could see together they would be a deadly combination. "I will try that, I appreciate the thoughts. I will leave you in peace, I have some things I must attend." A faint smile of her gratitude she dipped her nose, and than headed further off in the white tundra with more to think about.

[end]

[Image: faeleneicon.png]