the Rift

i fall to rise again [closed]

Faelene Posts: 297
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Sica

F A E L E N E
everything is held at length

Leaving the Veins of the God she crossed the bridge, repeating to herself what she had been told. By the time she reached the river's mouth she had it completely memorized without fear she would lose any of it. The golden lion she had never heard of, and wondered if anyone else would have either. Faint lines etched upon her face in thought how she would begin or where. This was something she wanted to give better thought, and it was time to cross the river. Eyes full of distrust she wandered the banks looking for the place where she could fully see the bottom, and splashed across it's length. It actually felt good to her body which seemed in a bit of a fever by the change in temperature from freezing cold to molten hot. Onward she went, letting the water cling to her coat, feeling she might want the coolness to remain.

Dark limbs keeping a steady trot her hooves would soon fall into sand. By the light of the sun it was quite warm already. With a recollection of traveling to the Throat itself she knew where she needed to go in the now desert landscape. If only to see the stone and the tree that reached for the sky. The dark mare would only see them at a distance.Faelene would stop when the oasis came into sight. This was as far as she dare come without seeing Leander. Today she would not call for him either, the last thing she wanted to do was call a great amount of attention to herself. If someone did spot her she would tell them her intentions, it wasn't like she was hiding in this red desert. She stood out like the Unicorn she was with mane of blood color, and dark skin like a shadow without cause.

Yiska Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Yiska
i am no bird, and no net ensnares me

The dun equine stallion shook his massive body. A sweeping cloud of dust puffed loose, falling to the ground silently. The dust had stolen the sheen from his coat and he scoffed at it. There wasn't much to do out in the desert, especially because he preferred to be alone and examine the unique wildlife that wandered in these parts.

Lifting his head he looked about him, and noticed a creature far in the distance. He squinted his eyes, happy the markings below them helped absorb a bit of the glare. The creature stood in stark contrast to the world around it, a black dash in a sea of sand. He shrugged and approached, obsidian hooves still not used to sinking into the soft sand. As the gap closed, he recognized the female to be of unicorn blood. Her black body was lean, coat glistening in the sun. Blood red mane dripped over her sweeping neck, and she seemed to be waiting. A curved dagger rested upon her brow like a crown, and Yiska hoped he didn't end up on the wrong end of it.

"Greetings, stranger!" he called out, stopping a bit aways so not to offend the striking mare. He dipped his head in a respectful nod. "I welcome you to the Throat. What may I help you with, ma'am?" Always courteous, he was pleased to see such a beautiful creature before him. He had yet to meet many horses at all, let alone any mares.

Leander the LionHeart Posts: 184
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 8
Epona

LEANDER

your heart is the beacon, your heart is the storm

Faelene.
The golden's head shot up at the recognition of the faint scent drifting on the spring air. It sent pictures of the garnet tressed beauty flashing through his mind, and feathered limbs shifted almost instantaneously into a brisk canter towards the Throat's Northern border. His poor bonded, graced with the fitting title of Ember, scrambled to stay balanced on his back. A bothered sqauwk came from her small beak, obviously displeased with the sudden jolt of motion. She had come to connect with the massive pegasus, but his strange movements were still quite new to the youthful eagle.

Ice blue eyes scanned the horizon, finally catching the glint of ebon. A dusty stallion stood near her, and for the briefest of moments, unease grasped his chest. But the sight of the stag was a familiar one; he was Yiska, the newest scholar to the Throat. He would not pose any threat to Faelene; yet the mere sight of another male near her was enough to set his primal side on edge. Flaxen locks thrashed as his pace quickened even more.

"Faelene."
He greeted her softly, nearly breathless as he slowed to a halt a few steps away. It was no easy task, but he resisted the desire to go any closer. Not when what they had was so risky, and not when one of his herd members was present. It would be too dangerous for the both of them. Ember warbled inquisitively, her own gold stare flicking from the black unicorn to the equine. She kept her keen eyes on the strangers, but settled back into a more comfortable position on her bonded's back.

"Yiska, this is Faelene, a good friend of mine." He nodded to the dun as he gave the simple explanation, then turning his eager sights back to the silver eyed lady. "It is good to see you, Faelene. Much has happened since we last spoke." His chords hid the affection he felt for her expertly, but what fondness could be held in his frosted pools was present. There were many he knew who had not noticed his changes; unaware that his normally golden eyes had morphed into blue, nor the constant frost that laced his henna wings. But Faelene would see, surely, for she had looked upon him so intently in the past. Bald, burnt patches of skin still lay in haphazard patterns across his forelimbs and running to dot across his lower face, though Tor's healing had done the injuries well. Spots of Ember's young wings also showed the bare remains of the fire, though her pain was thoroughly eased away. What would Faelene think of this; of all the changes that lay so visibly across him?

Hidden Account
Sica

F A E L E N E

Faelene was extremely watchful of the skies, almost as if she had stepped back in time and was worried once more for winged guards that could fall from the sky at any time. It was not far from the truth now. There was something larger to be said that lived here too, not a dragon but he had scales, and she kept look out for it too.A shift of weight between her hooves, the shade did little to make her comfortable. Cocking her hing leg if to appear relaxed, she continued to ponder where she should start this quest. Looking upon the stretch of sand she had an idea. Then she also saw someone coming her way.

Faelene did not move her position, she held it, if this was a normal part of her day. With eyes curious, she saw no wings or horn upon him. He looked fairly tall, and a light coat of bronze with dark locks and interesting markings. By the call of his voice he sounded friendly, and she let her ears turn in his direction. Curved mouth opened, saying a short, "Hello," to assure him she was the friendly sort too. The dun ventured closer, he has striking eyes. There was a hint interest to her faint silver orbs, surveying him with a quiet look. Ready to give him more of an answer, she did not realize Leander was there until she heard his heavy steps, the faint sound of her name.

Immediately her attention drifted to the golden charger, with a half smile marked on her lips. It would start to disappear. It was Leander. Up close it did not quite appear to be her Leander. The first she saw was piercing blue eyes, powered white to his usually unmarred chocolate wings, and were those burns upon him? And...a bird? Fluttering her eyes if to make sure they were clear, she was really seeing all this. Catching the other stallion's name, she turned her mask toward him if to distract herself, and accordingly give him attention. "Pleasure to meet you Yiska, I was hoping to find Leander here, I think he has a Faelene alarm or something." It was that she held onto her half of a smile, turning her head to Leander once again. She wasn't sure if she should shake her head and laugh, or be seriously worried. "I should say," she answered him with a tease to her alto voice. What has happened to you? Her eyes would ask, trying hard not to let them give away her concern. The hawk and burns spoke for themselves, but the rest? Was it the tip of the iceberg?

Yiska Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Yiska
i am no bird, and no net ensnares me

Yiska smiled at the striking fae, curious to learn more about where she came from. But soon he heard the gentle stroke of wings, and the Sultan landed softly a bit away. "LionHeart, beautiful day it is. " He then noticed the way Leander held himself, at first in awe as if Faelene herself was a crimson and obsidian goddess, blessing these lands with her very presence. The dun stallion stepped away, suddenly feeling as though he was intruding.

"My lovely Faelene," Yiska began, giving a courteous nod, "It truly is a pleasure meeting you. But, alas, I feel as though there are words that must be shared between the two of you that are not meant for my ears. I anticipate our meeting again, but until then, safe travels my friend." He turned his head to Leander, meeting eyes before sharing the same farewell. "Enjoy this beautiful day, Sir LionHeart." With that, he turned on his heel, and entered a smooth gallop, leaving the two to their conversation.

[Yiska Exits.]

Hidden Account
Epona

LEANDER

The new scholar was quite astute, and for that, Leander was thankful. Still, there would be no way for his new friend to know if Faelene was anything more than a good friend. Unfortunately, the lack of knowledge in that area might also prove to be a bad thing. The palomino fought the desire to bare his teeth as someone else called Faelene, his Faelene, lovely. Her beauty was something that he longed to enjoy, and the thought of anyone else trying to charm her made his blood boil. Forcing a grin onto his sooty lips, he nodded pleasantly to Yiska, betraying the furious rush underneath. "Thank you, Yiska. You enjoy the day as well, and do not hesitate to find me if you ever want to talk." He let his usually warm words send the stallion on his way. He genuinely did like the equine, but his love for Faelene often had a way of twisting his soul into knots.

Frosted pools lingered on Yiska's russet form as it faded off into the distance, waiting until it was just a small dot on the horizon before turning back to Faelene. It was then that the mask started to fade; all the pain, confusion, worry, and weariness flashed through his face, a sigh of exhalation rising a stark white curl into the warm air. He did not have to hide all of these things from her. She loved him.

"I do not know where to begin, except that I've missed you." He spoke, tired gaze lingering in the depths of her ebon face before dropping to the sand at his feet. "Kri has appointed me to lead alongside her. I'm called the LionHeart now." He repeated the title Yiska had just addressed him with, a weak smile tensing his maw at the name. What would she think of his new position? A small part of him wondered if the realization would drive her away, for he would be responsible for defending the Throat against her group. But the rest of him knew better, for they had still held their affection, even after she'd lost her home to the Qian. They could overcome anything, couldn't they?

Ember had begun to grow restless upon his back, and had made the decision to scramble haphazardly up the arch of his neck to get a better look at the Unicorn mare. She squawked unpleasantly as Leander shifted his head to glance at her precarious position. Returning his sights to Faelene, this time with a more hopeful look, he spoke. "This is Ember. I rescued her from a tree fire, and I suppose she has rescued me from a good deal of loneliness." Chuckling softly, he took a step closer to the garnet locked fae. "Have you been well? I am glad Birdsong is finally here, it must make things much easier on you." There was the familiar hint of concern in his eye, the one he always got when worrying over her safety.

Hidden Account
Sica

F A E L E N E

LionHeart? Her triangle ears tip in to Yiska's voice. It was new for Faelene, but she hadn't exactly meet any Dragon Throat members under regular circumstances. With Leander's new burns for the life of the hawk she thought that might be the reason, and lets face it she knew how brave Leander was. There seemed to be something else. A pleasant smile lighting her face, she dipped her head to the dun stallion in return. "Thank you," she spoke to him, though a little wary why he was suddenly leaving, and perhaps they look in his storm colored orbs, the want to meet again. "You too.." she murmured loss to say she would make an effort. Though, it would be a lie to say she wouldn't be curious how that went, and who the equine was. Collecting a breath, she whisked her tail against her side if only to feel a breeze. "Nice fellow," she commented, watching as him soon fade in the reflection of sun and sand. Meeting icy blue eyes, she could look in them but she felt she was looking at someone else. With his facade holding what he was keeping from others it almost was like she was.

"I missed you too." Faintly she brushed her dark nose to his own ashen muzzle, but withdrew it when his crown dipped further down. What's wrong, her mouth would begin to say, but instead tightened. It was hard not to let the muscles round her jaw clench, it was one way to stop herself from doing anything. Faelene shouldn't be surprised when they were apart somethings were bound to happen, but those things were not small changes to take without pause. "Leander the LionHeart," her chords would quietly sound, skipping round as if there was no complication, no wrecking havoc in her skull. "It suits you..." The red maned would not speak of Kri. There was little she knew except basic knowledge most would have. Leader of Dragon's Throat, who fought against them breaking some form of word she had given to the Unicorns in doing so. It would be better not to go there. Leander was Leader now too, and for good reasons.

Mindful of the creature that accompanied him, the bird of prey was climbing high upon his neck, and Faelene stepped forth out of instinct. Leander went to checking on her, and the mare took to leaning away from the pair. Though she did not want to feel the outsider, would it be in the hawk's instinct to dislike her for the sake she held Leander's affection? It merely looked upon her, probably lacking to see many Unicorn if any in these parts. Meeting her eyes which were red brown, she wouldn't speak; she remembered how Mauja's young owl could have cared less. Faelene viewed her with a soft, respectful gaze knowing it best not to ignore her either.

There wasn't much she could say being told of his loneliness, because that was Faelene's fault, and Ember was now to fill that role. Even with him drawing closer, she felt suddenly hollow. Why couldn't he loved someone deserving of his loyalty and affections. Her lips would break into a quick smile, maybe one day he would not have to fret over her so much. She would have to find the golden lion first.

"I've been fine, Birdsong is definitely a welcome change. Some others I'm still not so sure..." It was her turn to droop her head, but instead she raised her chin, looking toward the stretch leading to his home with a look of indifference. When she spoke her voice sounded far off, not quite something she had used in his presence. "Mauja is gone, and a new God has surfaced deeming Psyche Lady of our group in return for giving us a new haven. I'm conflicted, and quite worried about those who live there who are unaware of her intentions, and the prisoners they have gathered. What plays greatly upon my mind the fact of being a traitor makes you worse than equine or pegasus." A grin of nothing pleasant curved long her muzzle, and she shook her head. "I can see you have another change, though, you do not have blue eyes of frosty ice. Did something else happen?"

Hidden Account
Epona

LEANDER

Cerulean pools caught the brush of her dark lips against his own, but the feeling he coveted so much was lost on his poor sense of touch. Grimacing, feathered limbs retracted a step back. He did not want her to feel to wrong cold of his skin, nor to watch her touch him when he could not feel. It was too painful, to see her so close, yet be so far away. The golden felt as enclosed in a sheet of snow as the beast he'd shattered had been.

Was the title really fitting? Lines of thought creased his brow as Faelene mentioned his new name. What if she knew how he had hurt that poor, foolish spy? How he had called a storm forth from the sky, to defend the bond of their loves from that impudent filly's assumptions? Would she still think him fitting of such a noble title then? Distracting him from his thoughts as usual, Ember began prodding strands of his flaxen mane with her sharp beak, picking around as if trying to clean the masses of hair. She had decided that the Unicorn mare was nothing to be concerned of, though she could see her bonded was well interested in her. And if he liked the mare, than she must be decent enough. She would glance over at the ruby adorned female every so often, sometimes still holding a lock of Leander's mane in her gold beak.

Letting himself sidle a bit closer to Faelene, the palomino raised his as she spoke of her herd. It was the most she'd ever talked to him about the group, besides some brief mentionings of Mauja in the past. It was like a tearing of the soul. He wanted to be completely happy that Faelene had found a home; and he was relieved that she would have adequate shelter now. But the most of her group would not be happy with only the new land, and it was clear that even she feared for their violent whims. He fought a scowl when she spoke of Psyche; listening to anyone call that hot-headed bitch a lady was enough to set him on edge. She was no matriarch; just another fool hungry for power and ready to lead a desperate group to their demise. With a hardened gaze, Leander stared out across the sand. Did Faelene know that her new queen was now a prisoner of his own land? Sooty ears swiveled gently in each direction, making absolutely sure of no one else's presence before continuing. "I am glad you have a more reliable place to call home now, Faelene. But you are right to worry about lady Psyche. I have spoken to her myself, and she sees no need for peace. Stealing from the herds will put many of yours in danger. I cannot, I will not, prevent violence if my friends are being held against their will." Fury pooled into his pale orbs, and suddenly his frame was held a few notches higher. There was no excuse for thievery, and it would be dealt with. Still, Faelene would not have taken anyone, that much he was sure of. A weary sigh slid from his maw, and his gold crown shook shortly. "I know you do not want this anymore than I. I only wish I knew how to find a compromise between yours and mine. Both parties must be willing for that, though, and that is what I cannot help." For a few moments he remained silent, hoping she would not grow angry at his sentiment for her new leader. He could not deny his dislike for Mauja's replacement, no more than he would deny his dislike for the ex-Edge king himself. Soon Faelene began to ask another question. Part of him had hoped she wouldn't notice his eyes at all, but it was clearly in vain. "I was with the foals." He began, vision once again locking on the horizon. "There was a white stallion. I went to see who it was, but it wasn't really a stallion at all. It was made of snow. I know this doesn't sound possible, but it came to life. It attacked me, and I fought back. I broke it apart, and a blue orb rose from the center and fell into my skull." Worry was etched across his face as he recalled the fight, trying for the first time to explain to someone what had happened. "I don't know what it was, but I believe it was a spirit, and not one of good intent. I have not been the same since it happened. It takes barely anything for me to get angry. I can do things that I could not do before."

Hidden Account
Sica

F A E L E N E

The retraction of his touch was quite unlike him, his breath felt like the Steppe's, and made her think twice in offering it again. Maybe, it was best unknowing if they would have another wander this way. It wouldn't surprise her if someone had to see who had an audience with their Sultan. Her eyes dark,open, she studied him. Was his confident shaken? There was something deeply wrong, worry etched in his golden face. "Leander, did something else happen?" Voice though gentle, was steady as she kept worry, the fear from it. He had once confessed of a flirting mare, and it wasn't hard to know something bothered him. Stared at him for a moment, before looking to the creature she hoped to give him more peace and safety than Faelene. Already she looked to be caring for the tall charger, and Faelene wished she could tell her to take good care of him. Some how she doubted the words would be necessary.

Placing himself in closer reach she no longer was tempted to extend herself again, except with her words. His emotions upon his face Faelene could easily read him. Whatever the change was, made it even easier. Yes, he did not like Psyche either, but that was to be expected. He had met her no doubt as Faelene knew about the great snake in taking her captive. It wasn't hard when she was in charge of keeping information, and the herd safe. She was often too slow to actually do anything about the captures. There were too many, and for some targets she felt were strange. Like Aurelius. He must be dying in this heat. He was about the only one she wanted back. Holding her tongue, she let herself listen after a clear look around, amused, and yet sensing the severity they should have meant. "Lady is her title, as yours is Sultan. But no, she's not exactly what I would define as one...I would give you some advice I want you to heed. Don't underestimate her. Her tongue may be barbed for you, but it is not to others and she is clever as she is twisted." There was a clear, sharp warning in her words, a deadly cut to her eyes. "She will do something, don't let it cost you." The dark maiden held his gaze wanting for him to believe this. A flip of her ears, she let her face retain a cool look. "For violence I don't expect anyone to sit back, and especially you. Don't think they won't be expecting that, they want that. And I plan to stay there, I can be of more help. Besides, if I'm forced to cross sides you'll get your wish." A smirk toyed with her lips, but didn't expect it to lighten his mood. She wished there was something though. It was hard to here his want, because that's what she would have liked to. Things like that didn't exist or work like that. "It would be a wonderful world if everyone got along, but there will always be someone in want of other kinds of things. You should not take that burden upon yourself, that's hard for anyone to change and control." A smile of admiration, she bumped his nose.

The explanation of his new appearance had her own eyes cold, and a face of stone, a chill running down her spine even in this heat. "Sounds more like a demon," she commented in a whisper, shaking her head at this dire news. There seemed no reason why it came upon him. With a far off look, she found herself looking past him, her mind working quickly. "Things?" Head swung back to his golden face, having thought she couldn't be more disturbed. "I have never heard of spirits, but in stories to keep me in my place. This..have you told anyone else, or thought of asking the Gods?" If only for his worry she kept her face composed, though Faelene was concerned if this thing would leave on its own. "Is there something I could do for you?" She wished there was something, she was tired of feeling powerless, and useless.

Hidden Account
Epona

LEANDER

Faelene's sweet voice, the one which had been so often soothing on his soul, turned sharp as she spoke of Psyche. Did she actually feel some loyalty to that bitch? Ashen ears twisted backwards as she defensively commented on the mare's title, but he would not let those ears burrow into his mane. Anger began to flare within him, unchained despite his desperate desire to keep Faelene from it. It was unbearable. Thoughts of the spy pegasus, snow covered and frightened, flashed through his mind before fury's blur began to overtake such memories. "If she does anything to the Throat, it will cost her." He spoke, voice quiet yet deep, venom lacing the words. He would kill Faelene's leader if she even stole one member of his herd. He would rip those trinkets from her mane one by one, and tie her horn into his own. Porcelain eyes began to freeze over with rage, showing only a bit of Leander's struggle to contain his emotions.

"If your group is foolish enough to want violence, then maybe they need to be granted their wish and learn the hard way." Raising unyielding blue eyes to the dark of her face, he let his chords hang on the air. He could not help being this way, could not keep his anger from taking control of his speech at the very least. If he could only keep himself from hurting her, than talking to her this way would be worth it. Even as she tried to reassure him, to comfort him, he shifted back away from her once again, furious and terrified of causing any harm to her.

She spoke about his situation, talking of Demons. Yes. A demon. The name felt right for the thing that held him, for it was no normal spirit which caused his demeanor to run so volatile. A fleeting plea flashed across his features, for the shortest of seconds replacing the anger. "You must go. I am not myself. I don't want to hurt you, Faelene. Please." The last bit of resolve had drained from him. He would be able to control his rage no more. The brawny palomino turned, away from the ruby locked maiden who meant so well, and began to walk back towards the center of the Throat. Ember had turned to look back at the dark mare, wondering why Leander was leaving her so quickly.

[ooc: Leander is having a mood swing due to the Demon possession. Faelene can try to stop him if she wants to, but he will likely get violent/worse. xD Sorry for the drama <3]

Hidden Account
Sica

F A E L E N E

It was hard enough to talk to him without the extra insanity. It was even harder to go out on a limb about the opposite sides they were on trying to help, and only be reminded once again the ways they were inflicted was not about to change. But it was driving madness how difficult it all was, feeling she could never fully have his understanding no matter by words or choice on anything. Had she not said he should rain hell upon them for their actions? No, not in those words, but that had been her point. This encounter only made her more tempted to seal her lips and throw away the key. She could leave the Basin, live in the Throat and it wouldn't make things any better for them. They would be forced with a new set of problems, and how would they be resolved? Certainly not by their difference of thought, and opinion.

The way his stare hardened, a thick sheet of ice, made her question what was Leander and what was the demon. The words were his for certain, but it took more than that for him to lose it. Move now, her body would tell her feeling she was very close to knowing what these things he could do were. Shuffling through the sand, her eyes were wide with alarm, but narrowed with question seeing one last look that was really his. It was not in her to run, mind screaming for her to so, while her heart held her there being helpless. If she thought fighting would kill the demon she would attempt it, but saw it not worth the risk. Ears folded back, a flicker of sadness to her gaze she watched him take off, seeing the last of Ember's red sand colored eyes that held a lost look. Faelene's only goodbye. "Leander, promise you'll find me again. By the start of a new moon, somewhere by the Endless!" Hoped her voice reached him, she had raised it for that single purpose. Getting a grip on herself, she watched him for only a second to help her find focus, and took off away from the heated lands.

[end]