the Rift

It's not a cry you can hear at night. [OPEN]

Myrddin Posts: 115
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 :: Old
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

This is what I would have you see; for the old Unicorn who has found his way into the basin, has lost that ability.

When he still had his sight, Myrddin was often in the Steppe, and the Arch, and so it was only natural that he would make his way back into this general vicinity. The journey back here had been long and arduous, yet as FrostFall departed he felt the need to return to where it was still cold. The sensation of the cold creeping into his ancient joints was the only pleasure that he had found in these last few weeks. Since losing his sight, everything became significantly more difficult. There were multiple cuts and scratches along his stomach, growing gradually deeper the lower one looked on his long legs. He had suffered many falls and stumbles; he had been blinded shortly after entering Helovia, and knew little of the terrain by memory. His tall andalusian form had grown gaunt as life seemed to finally retreat from his old bones, but his mind was still as active as ever. He attributed that mostly to the demon and unicorn blood that flowed in his veins. He vainly assumed that one day his body would simply deteriorate, but that his mind would live on, as a wave of light, forever contemplating the universe. As a philosopher, his concern was not with what happened to his body, but the idea that once day his mind would cease to function - to be unable to comprehend his theories of how the world fit together - was abhorrent.

Without any real emotion, Myrddin wondered what had become of Mauja, the frosty King to whom he had wished to lend his council, to whom he had professed his loyalty. Had he perished? With a snort, Myrddin turned his thoughts elsewhere, walking slowly and methodically. His mind now viewed the terrain only in his minds-eye, which was remarkably accurate at this point. Each cut on his ancient body had told him something about the terrain; and he had been a good student. If Myrddin still had his sight, he would have noticed how suddenly many Unicorn's of Helovia had suddenly sprouted antler's, in place of their horns. Myrddin's own horn had always been twisted and gnarled, and seemed unaffected by this change.

Myrddin's large moose-like ears twitched slightly as he heard a faint crackling on the breeze. The ripples of the new God were still apparent, even all the way on the outer rims of the basin. As the electric current combined with the moisture in the air, it fizzled and cracked; Myrddin envisioned this happening, on a atomic level, allowing his mind to create wondrous fractal images behind his blind gaze. The air suddenly smelled of ozone - sweet and pure - but only for a moment. He was too far from the God of the Spark's influence for their to be any more than a little charge in the air - only a few oxygen atoms had been pulled apart. Still, the smell was refreshing and pleasant. Myrddin snorted his pleasure, shaking his ancient head. He had promised to aid the young king, when first he met him. But now, having been blinded by that damned colt and his dog, he would need to find new ways to make himself useful.

Shuler Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Shuler
“The best lies about me are the ones I told.”

From the solace of the shadows cast by a stand of trees along one of the Basin’s many ridges etched into the mountain side, Shuler watched the ivory creature stumble and make his way through the treacherous maze created by the rocky, icy elevation around them. Something akin to empathy stirred in the pit of the young stallion’s stomach at the older unicorn’s deteriorating state, the many lacerations and wounds that seemed to lace his fine white coat in ugly marks of struggle and suffering. On any other occasion Shuler probably would have left any wandering individual to their own devices, not one to become involved with anyone who didn’t serve an immediate purpose, but something about the helplessness of the elderly stallion would not allow the golden unicorn’s conscious to simply disregard him like it had done to so many others, so many times before. After a brief moment of deliberation the phantom gave a full body shake of resolve, and began to retreat from his hidden place in the shadows and clamber carefully down the rocky edifice. Though Birdsong was here, the Aurora Basin seemed to remain shrouded in a perpetual wintery chill. Shuler didn’t mind the cold at all, but it made for precarious travel none the less. It was always best to keep your wits about you, lest you miss your step and slip.

Quietly and with great care the dun circled around the old unicorn so that when he reached level ground, he would be approaching him from the front. He had suspected that the new comer would have seen him by now, but as Shuler drew closer no sign of recognition seemed to breach the other stallion's face. Shuler paused several yards away, ears pricked in mild curiousity, searching for some sort of sign that it wasn’t a hallucination before him. But the old unicorn did not disappear into the electrifying basin air like an apparition; instead he seemed to continue stumbling and clambering, unseeing, in no apparent direction. Shuler breathed quietly and stood very still, the gears in his head working quickly and efficiently as he came to the conclusion that this stallion had more wrong with him than just the scratches on his legs and coat. It would appear by the way he seemed to navigate his surrounding area that he couldn’t see a single step in front of him or otherwise. And if that were the case, no wonder he had torn himself to shreds in such a way.

“Hello, friend.” Shuler called from where he stood, voice level and clear, amiable and welcoming. However, beneath the words laced with kindness and cordiality, Shuler kept his suspiciousness under tight lock and key. It was in his nature not to trust, it was how he was taught and all he knew, and for a long seven years it was a philosophy that had kept him alive and well. Not to mention the herd was still in its infant stages, there was no telling what threats outsiders could bring within the safe confines of their winter valley, not that Shuler had any immediate reservations for the safety of everyone else. Perhaps that was why this old stallion called to him so, in a roundabout way. There was something about this stranger that reminded Shuler of his dearest friend and mentor, long gone from this world, but always present in the back of the young golden unicorn’s mind. Axtell had been old and worse for wear when he had found Shuler, young and abandoned by a family that had not wanted him. But despite his age he had still had life in him, a light that persevered, and this unicorn in front of Shuler resembled that despite his ailments. “My name is Shuler, and you are in the Aurora Basin, can I help you? You seem to be in need of it.”

Regardless of what might have been wrong or right, or what Shuler truly thought, he did know that he couldn’t leave the elderly stallion to fall to his death off of an icy outcropping somewhere. He grimaced to himself at the idea and the image it created, knowing all too well that it could happen. It would be better to lead him to the valley center, perhaps even to the warmth of the hot springs, and perhaps find that unicorn he had heard whispers of called D’Artagnan, who would be able to begin the process of healing the stranger's various wounds. Shuler waited patiently as ever, for patience was something he knew all too well, ears rotated forward expectantly in hopes that he hadn’t scared the blind creature with his sudden presence.

Deceased
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

Like any philosopher worth his salt, Myrddin was too busy thinking, to fully apprise and respond to the world around him. However, as a creature who was going to survive another decade, he was showing a remarkable lack of forethought. Myrddin had not heard Shuler approach, nor did he scent him on the breeze. He was too busy thinking about something called 'Action Theory'; about whether or not one's views and beliefs ought to influence their actions. It was a tricky subject to pin down, and Myr's old mind had been working on this problem for quite some time now. It was due to this tangle of epistemology, that his attention was not focused on Shuler's approach. It was only until his voice broke the radio-silence of Myr's mind, that he returned his attention to the real world.

Hello, friend. Myr's large moose-like ears swivelled towards the sound of the stallion's voice. His nostrils flare, as he tossed his head, removing a tattered bit of forelock from before his blind eyes - as if that did any good. His gaze, milky and without any light gazed a little to the left of Shuler. "What's that?" Myrddin muttered to himself, listening to the other's introduction. My name is Shuler....aurora basin...can I help you? You seem to be in need of it. Myrddin frowned slightly he listened. Was he in need of help? His arthritic joints ached more than the majority of his exterior wounds - perhaps this stallion was just squeamish; his wounds looking worse than they actually were. Or perhaps his mind had simply learned to dull the pain enough over the years, that he was masking the aches that he felt. That was certainly possible - Myr had become a fairly wizened trickster over the years - bamboozling others with riddles and paradoxes. Perhaps his subconscious had used a little of that wordplay on himself, distinguishing some of the pain that he was meant to feel.

"Greetings Shuler. Long days and pleasant nights" He said formally; his voice sounding like a singer who had inhaled far too much smoke over the years. With painstaking slowness, Myr curled his nose towards his shoulder blade, while at the same time bending a foreleg into a bow. His knee-joint crackled it's displeasure; the rest of his joints adding into the symphony of arthritic-pops. Still, Myr completed the bow deeply. As he straightened, he again looked a little too far to the left of where Shuler actually stood - for all of his long years on the Earth, his senses were failing him. For one as old as Myrddin, there was no time for his other senses to compensate for his lack of sight. "I am Myrddin. Or Myr, should that be your preference."

Shuler had offered him help...most likely he meant in regards to his physical ailments, but it was information, that Myrddin's body craved. "Tell me youngling, is this where the Frost King has hidden himself? For we have unfinished business, he and I."

Unregistered

Shuler

Shuler was by no means squeamish. Though he made sure to steer clear of the thick of any battles, blood and gore, death and dying, were not things that he feared or shied from. Though his knowledge might not span the same number of years as those with more experience, he had seen plenty of things that concerned all walks of life in his short time on this earth. He most certainly knew enough to recognize that nature and the inevitable were often unavoidable things, and at one point or another, they would all succumb back to the dirt and dust from which they came. But until that time, Shuler would enjoy life and the living and the small moments of satisfaction his cunning and wit gave him. And if given the opportunity, he would help those in need if he must. He took a deep breath, the cool, damp Basin air coating his lungs in a way that invigorated the body and gave spark to the mind. He remained stationary, not too far from the old unicorn who had finally realized he was there.

“Greetings Shuler. Long days and pleasant nights.”

The dun stallion watched with pleasant surprise at the stallion’s welcoming bow. Shuler wanted to tell him it was not necessary to display such respectful motions of humility, especially to him; a mere humble servant to the Lady Psyche and her Plague. As the stallion spoke yet a second time, sharing his name, Shuler gazed intently into the milky depths of his unseeing eyes. Eyes that were not entirely focused on Shuler for their inability to perceive the world around them, something that made the dun unicorn wonder briefly at what that must be like, to be shrouded in darkness completely with no reprieve or way to draw in the light. Part of Shuler felt a sense of fascination at the idea, for his love of the night and the shadows that accompanied it were not such a different world from blindness. But then again, his eyes were one of his greatest tools. His cunning, conniving and craftiness stemmed from what he saw, what his eyes helped him to remember. To lose that ability would be a price Shuler was not willing to pay, for it would render him useless, and uselessness was something he avoided at all costs.

“Myriddin.” Shuler repeated the name with smooth warmth, testing it, and even dropping himself into his own swooping bow, barbed black horn brushing the frost Basin ground. Regardless of whether or not the old unicorn could see the motion, it was the principle that mattered. Age did not touch the inflections of his voice or the movement of his body. Indeed, Shuler and Myriddin stood across from each other like the comparison of two parallel opposites, the young and the old, the only difference lacking being their affinity and appreciation for knowledge. “A pleasure to meet you.”

"Tell me youngling, is this where the Frost King has hidden himself? For we have unfinished business, he and I."

Shuler knew instantly who Myriddin spoke of. Mauja the Frostheart, the unicorn king that had originally told Shuler of Psyche and the Plague, and their plans to bring the unicorns back to their throne of power. Shuler mulled over the old unicorns inquire only briefly, for he himself only knew what he had heard of Mauja’s untimely disappearance. He moved a little closer to the timeworn stallion so not to have to project so loudly to be heard, allowing his hooves to shuffle and shift loudly against the frost crusted ground, a soft whoosh of air released from his lungs, so that Myrridin could place his location without too much trouble.

“Rumor is that he vanished into thin air.” Shuler replied, “And I do not jest. In fact I did not believe it myself, but I have heard from more than one person that time itself came and swallowed him whole, gone in one blink.”

Shuler was always wary of the impractical and the mysterious; Mauja’s peculiar disappearance was no different. While the dun stallion wasn’t entirely certain of what happened, he had heard enough muttering amongst those of the Basin to know that it wasn’t simply a misconstrued story. Just as the God of the Spark had stood before their very eyes and vanished in his chaos of smoke and lighting, Shuler supposed Mauja too could have left this world for another in just as similar a manner. These things were beyond Shuler’s ability to contrive though, so he tried not to dwell on them for the fear of driving himself mad.

“Tell me Myr, from where do you wander? You are lucky to have escaped the mountain pass with just the injuries you do have.” Shuler used the short of the old stallions name, trying his best to create a sense of camaraderie and what he hoped would be trust. “I can lead you to the hot springs here in the Basin, if you’d like, where you can rest and clean your wounds. I’m sure our resident doctor would be more than happy to aid you, if you so wished. And if you don’t mind me asking, how did you come to lose your sight?”

So many questions, but he asked them with the utmost ingenuity and respect. Questions lead the way to knowledge, and knowledge to many, many other things. Shuler, despite his ever present congeniality and generally good natured heart, always had an ulterior motive. He hoped that Myrriden would agree to follow him. Conversation with the old stallion would be nothing but beneficial, someone who had been alive as long as Myr could potentially provide a wealth of information. Shuler watched him with interest, wondering at what might be going on in that head of his. Eye were often a window to the mind and soul, if you were practiced in reading them, but the blank stare of the white unicorn gave nothing away for Shuler to interpret. A poker face even better than his, perhaps. He was curious as to how such an existence had come to be.

Deceased
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

Myrddin's large ears took in the sound of Shuler stepping closer - then they heard the sound of something touching the earth, but softly. A Unicorn Myrddin thought with satisfaction, recognizing the sound of that specific appendage touching the ground. Yet his was not gnarled and knobbed like Myr's was - it sounded...harder, in some sense, yet they were both surely made of bone horn. Myrddin envisioned the stallion as lithe of build, and smaller than he; perhaps by several inches. He was not wrong in his estimation - Shuler stood almost 2 hands shorter, yet their builds were similar, although Myr's was simply a much larger frame. He had no indication of the youngling's colour, nor his age really. For Myr, everyone was simply varying degree's of being much-younger than he.

As Shuler answered his question, a wistful smile crept onto his old features. "Disappeared into thin air, eh? He said with a chuckle and a nod. He did indeed believe this could be the case. In fact, Myrddin believed that one day he too would infact simply vanish into thin air. With the way his body felt as of late, he often imagined that his skin would simply fall off of his bones, and finally let his great mind roam free, unhindered by useless skin and hide. The pleasures of the flesh had long departed from Myrddin's horizon, and now his body was simply a cage; One that he wasn't protecting very efficiently, lately. But to really have disappeared... Myrddin sighed; a sound that was a mixture of jealousy and frustration. There was so much he could have taught the young king! Serving as an advisor was what he had done for decades, but it seemed he would have to find a new ruler to advise. "Who leads the Edge now?" I would have you tell me, as we walk. Once we reach these springs of which you speak, I will tell you my tale, should you still wish to hear it, youngling."

Myrddin wasn't so sure that he wanted to be in water right now, not with a crackling ball of electricity parading as a God was about. However, the thought of soothing his joints was not an opportunity he could pass up. And this...this Shuler, wasn't grating on his nerves, like to many younglings did. His greeting, the sound of his horn touching the ground (which Myr correctly characterized as a bow, although done with much less joint-popping than he had done), his questions; all of these things the old stag appreciated. Too many younglings these days had their priorities all wrong: they worshipped false idols, they believed utter shit, and they were wholly uninformed about the world around them. It was pathetic. But this one...Well, perhaps he is different. Perhaps there is hope. Myrddin thought, as he took a tentative step forward, to follow Shuler. As he moved, he listened intently, forming a grainy image of what was going on around him. He had been the the Steppe and the Arch many times, but had not been in the Basin before. His mind filled in details of what it thought his surroundings were like; hazy and fuzzy images which danced before his eyes.

Unregistered

Shuler

Shuler was nearly deer like in appearance, long slender legs – though not as fragile as they appeared – were built for running and distance, with a well-balanced hip and strong shoulder. The golden stallion’s rib cage was deep and tied into the narrow slopes of his stifles and flanks, giving him an appearance of something streamlined and proficient, strong lungs to equal the air it would take to reach the speed and lengths he was capable of. He was definitely not the strongest or the largest amongst any group of unicorns, Myr was a might bigger than him on all counts, but Shuler made up for what he lacked in other ways. With a flick of his full night black tail against taught, golden haunches, and a slight toss of his head, he listened judiciously to the wizened old man’s response.

Shuler reciprocated Myrddin’s good humor with a small, crooked grin of his own and a nod of affirmation, though he was quickly reminded that his new acquaintance could not see the gesture to appreciate it. Just as soon as the sign of emotion had appeared upon the dun unicorn’s handsome face, it was gone again, replaced once more with the ambivalent and ambiguous thoughtfulness he more often choose to display to the world. It was always best to keep your cards well hidden, whether the stakes were high or not, as there was never any way to say for certain which one you might need to win the game. The younger stallion’s thoughts lingered briefly on Mauja and his absence, mostly because he had noticed Myrrdin’s wistful smile and contemplative sigh. The ice King had been a respected confident and acquaintance to the phantom, and though his disappearance did not directly affect Shuler while Psyche still held control over the Plague, he knew Mauja would be sorely missed by those who followed in his wake.

“The edge, if I recall correctly, is led by Mirage, a winged lady known as the Dragonheart.” Shuler offered the information freely, not afraid to tell what was known by most. As the stallion stepped toward him, the dun roused himself and moved forward also, closing the gap between them both and stopping just far enough away that the extension of his neck allowed his muzzle to brush Myr’s shoulder ever so slightly, so that the old unicorn would be able to get his bearings before they traveled. “But the lovely lady Psyche is the ruler of these Basin lands, queen of her Plague, of which I am a part. If it is of any comfort, the Frostheart thought quite highly of her, and I’m sure he still would were he here to voice it of his own accord.”

Shuler began walking as he talked, so that Myr would have a voice to follow as they began the trek down to the safer paths of the valley floor, and to the corner of the Basin where the hot springs waited. He made sure not to move any faster than the older unicorn could manage, keeping his normally brisk, flowing stride to a leisurely ramble. Conniving and deceitful as he could be, he would never forget his manners. And as Myrrdin had already concluded, Shuler was different from most of those his age, he preferred keeping to himself and enjoying the view the lives of others brought him. He spent more time thinking and calculating and studying than anything else, paying meticulous attention to detail, because more often than not that was how the answers to the most difficult of life’s questions were found. And when he needed, or as he saw fit, Shuler kept the information he garnered and put it away for safe keeping. There was no end to the amount of tricks and silver tongued tales he had up his sleeve, and he was perfectly fine with using them.

“Psyche, whom I mentioned, is currently indisposed.” Shuler mentioned casually, pausing for a moment to glance back at the older unicorn, just to make sure he had not strayed too far from the path. Perhaps he should have voiced more concern, but if he knew Psyche at all, he knew it would not be long before she returned, prisoner or not. There was a hint of disdain in his voice, hidden beneath the calmer tones and inflections of indifference. There was no love lost between Shuler and those who bore no horn upon their brow. “Our lovely friends of the Throat have taken her for a visit of sorts. However, when she is retrieved, you must meet her. That is, if you intend to stay, which I hope you do. You might find her quite… fascinating.”

At his description of the black mare Shuler could not help the chuckle that escaped him, truly genuine and almost musical in sound. He cast his gold brown eyes – bright amusement at his own private hilarity – back at the white stallion again, and just ahead the rockier terrain gave way to softer grass and safer footing. The golden unicorn gave a soft sigh of relief, glad to be rid of the possibility of having to have rescued Myrddin from the depths of some rocky fissure in the mountainside. He would have to meet Psyche at some point, if he planned on spending any amount of lengthy time residing in the Aurora Basin. In all reality it was an ideal situation for the old unicorn, protection and safety were in abundance here, and he would never go hungry. This was a place he could heal himself, if he so wished, and perhaps return some life and vigor to those old bones of his. And the herd could benefit from his presence as well, for there was no better substitute for teaching than a life well lived, which certainly seemed to fit Myr’s description. Shuler could only imagine the miles he had traveled, and the things he had seen, a fantasy that sent his vivid imagination racing.

Deceased
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

Myrddin followed the younger stallion with ease; he ignored the pains that he felt in his joints. Pain was only ever fleeting - even enormous pain which blocks out all conscious thought. Have you ever tried to remember being in incredible pain? It's nearly impossible to do - Myrddin has tried many times. He had even purposfully wounded himself, in order to try to study, and hold onto the feeling. But it is always fleeting, that is what his long life has taught him, no matter how it feels at the time. So, Myrddin followed Shuler, ignoring the arthritic spasms he felt in his back, or the uncomfortable way his bones shifted as he moved.

...a winged lady... Myrddin was fascinated that Mauja's predecessor was a pegasus. He couldn't imagine that Mauja would have been too thrilled. He was pleased to hear that the disciple that Shuler was now mentioning, a sai by the name of Psyche, was highly thought of by the late King; it probably meant that she was a Unicorn. Myrddin had not heard of The Plague, but he assumed it was the culmination of ideals the the FrostKing held. He also noted with interest at the careful words that Shuler used to describe her current situation. He found it fascinating that the younger stallion would not say that she was stolen. He assumed this was respect on his part; that to say she was stolen like some commoner, would be an insult to her abilities as a leader. He did indeed wish to meet this Psyche.

"I would indeed like to meet the Lady Psyche...And yes youngling, I do plan to stay. There is much I believe I could do here..." His voice trailed off and his mind roamed back to a queen he once served; Ygrane. She was beautiful and had no desire to enjoy the luxuries of being a queen; she was strong and she was determined. He had outlived her, watching her foolishly die in battle, which still pained his old heart. What would this new queen be like? With a snort of frustration, Myrddin cursed the beasts that had taken his sight. There were so many simple gestures that were now lost on him; but gestures that could reveal so much. He made a mental note to speak with the Gods' of this land, and see if there was any manner by which they could assist him, in that regard.

"And this Plague? Tell me about your lot." The gears of Myr's mind were whirring along, storing strategies and philosophies of battle that might later aid this group into which he suddenly found himself. He had pledge allegiance to the Edge, once upon a time, but if the ideals of the young King were not upheld by the new leader, which he surely believed they weren't, then it seemed the movement to which he truly belonged, was the Plague.

As they walked, Myr felt the air begin to warm. He felt the air that he breathed becoming more humid; thicker. The heavy air seemed to roll off of his aged coat, as if lingering there and moistening his skin was not something it thought worth it. Why bother wasting resources on one who was so close to death anyways. Myrddin felt his joints being to loosen; his knees seemed to now move freely within his skin making walking feel as though he were moving on bones which were not completely connected to one another. It was an interesting feeling, really. He was interested to see how he would feel, submerged in the warm waters that he perceived must be much closer, now.

[OOC: We'll assume this is before he became the Haruspex :3]

Unregistered

Shuler

There were many facets to the way Shuler’s mind functioned. Like a fine tuned instrument, each notion served to play a note in the symphony of his logic. His memory was vast, spanning all the years of his life and storing all the names and places and faces he had seen, or come to know. All these pieces pulled together to form the puzzle of gears that turned and spun and projected the thoughts and ideas that ran rampant through his head. Calculating, concise, no bit of information was wasted or lost on him. Everything could be used to serve a purpose, even the things that came out of his own mouth, and so Shuler was careful with his words, just as Myr surmised. He was careful to paint of picture of unquestionable fidelity and proficiency to those who held him in their confidence. He was careful to always carry himself with a quiet irrelevance that bespoke of modesty and deference.

Unassuming, inconspicuous, unpretentious. It was Shuler’s unwavering dedication to the game, years of committed practice, that allowed him to remain in the shadows at his will, something unseen, someone untouchable.

Someone invisible.

"I would indeed like to meet the Lady Psyche...And yes youngling, I do plan to stay. There is much I believe I could do here... And this Plague? Tell me about your lot."

Shuler’s golden ears rotated in interest as he walked on, angled back at Myrrdin and the words that the white unicorn projected. This time he did not answer immediately to the battered stallion’s inquiries, counseling himself in comfortable silence. Curiosity was a needle prick at the edges of his immediate thoughts and impulsive ideas, and Shuler picked through and shuffled the many dossiers and collections of memories he had stowed away, just in case Myrrdin was a face he had somehow misplaced. Just what was it that the old unicorn thought he had to give to Psyche and her herd? What knowledge or dark magic could be hidden in those old bones, and was it something more powerful than the reach of time and age that ailed Myrrdin so? Ahead the hot springs came into view, and Shuler reveled in the increased warmth of the atmosphere around them, the air heavy and moist, but unlike the frigid cold of the Basin’s outer edge. There was warmth here, and in addition to the moist humidity that layered the atmosphere, there almost seemed to be an eerie glow.

“The Plague was founded by Lady Psyche and Mauja Frostheart, whom you hold in such high esteem. That was before the Edge was overcome by the equalist imbeciles that call themselves the Qian.” Shuler spoke evenly and with an informative simplicity, as if he were explaining all this not only to Myrrdin, but also to himself. “I have watched from a safe distance – as I prefer to do – as Psyche has rebuilt her numbers. You must understand the weight of defeat, to be driven from your rightful place by ingrates and imbeciles is a madness all its own. A great example of what a moment of weakness can cause in the face of adversity. But let me assure you, and if I may be so bold as to speak on behalf of the Plague and our temporarily indisposed empress, we are weak no more.”

[OOC: Sounds good. :3 And, my mistake, but Mirage is actually an equine! You’ll have to forgive my ignorance of Helovian history and what not, I haven’t quite caught up with all that has happened yet. Hehe.]

Deceased
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

Myrddin listened thoughtfully as the younger stallion spoke, impressed by the depth and respectfulness of the knowledge that he held. A grin found it's way onto his aged lips as Shuler said, You must understand the weight of defeat. Literally, he seemed to be saying that someone of Myr's age and experience would understand such a thing. But as of late, he had heard phrases such as that almost as a question - as pleading sort of one. You must understand!; the way Myr had heard it used, it sounded more like a begging justification. Perhaps that was the way the youngling had meant it, for he rounded off the sentiment by describing being driving from home, and the notions of 'rightful place'. Two things Myrddin thought were foolish. He hoped that this youngster had simply been speaking sloppily, and moreso, that the Lady Pysche did not share such naive emotions. There was no intrinsic rightfulness in the world. No good, no bad. There was only what you had and what you wanted. Myrddin surmised that the rightfulness of which Shuler spoke, was in fact simply what the then-Plague, now-Basin wanted.

Myrddin's old mind was much too tired to argue this linguistic point. Instead he simply said, "I know not what is rightful, youngster. All I know is what is desired; and on that subject, I am well-versed in the means of acquiring these things, which are desired. I trust the Lady Psyche knows what it is she wants?"

Myrddin certainly hoped so. Queen's who knew not what they wanted were incapable of making strategic decisions, and were often pulled off in directions which did not serve an ultimate purpose. Still...for the Frostking to have placed such a blessing on her head, and that so many had followed her here, to this place, said something about her character, surely. That this youngling who seemed so well versed in the ways of the mind, would mince words to refrain from tarnishing her reputation, said a lot as well. Satisfied, Myr carried on, sniffing the air slightly. The air had become dramatically warmer and more humid, indicating that he was within feet now, of the Basin's hotsprings. Still, Myr's senses were now terribly dull. Instead of plunging headfirst into the waters, he paused, as if looking around. No light entered his pupils at all - there were no blurry shapes, no varying shades of Gray; just an unending landscape of darkness, occasionally disturbed by his great mind imposing images for him to 'see'.

Unregistered

Shuler

Did the Dark Empress, Psyche, know what she wanted? What her heart most deeply desired? For those that knew of her and the ambitious and dedicated nature that drove her, it was a simple question, but did anyone really know what final ultimatum they sought in this world? It was a grand question in itself. All this talk of desire and wanting was enough to make Shuler’s head spin, for it was often something he thought of himself, having finally reached a sort of contentment with his life upon making his home in the Aurora Basin. But was it enough? That was always the question, and though he was satisfied for now, the possibility that said satisfaction would run its course always tempted his thoughts into wondering, like fresh bait laid out for ravenous wolves. Shuler slowed his pace further still as they reached the edge of the hot springs, steam rising up in silver, smoky wisps that seemed to whisper unintelligible words of nature as they went. The shapes they conjured spun, and twirled and twisted their way into the air, disappearing as quickly as they had come. The young unicorn stopped just at the water edge, where its pristine stillness reflected the image of them both, and he reached around his shoulder to halt Myrrdin with a quick touch of his muzzle to his weathered white shoulder.

“I would presume our leader knows her utmost wishes,” Shuler replied with good natured humor, “ “But perhaps trust is too strong of a word.”

Trust was not a term the dun unicorn tossed around idly. It was a precarious, tricky thing that he handled with only the greatest care and attention to detail. Trust often caused more problems than it solved, it could be broken and twisted and distorted so far beyond recognition that you were left wondering how it was you managed to dig yourself a hole that could not be climbed out of. It was best to play by the rules and play safe, that no one could be trusted, and that your trust was to be rationed like the precious commodity it was; guilty until proven innocent.

“The hot springs are directly in front of you, which I’m sure you’ve been able to determine.” Shuler dipped his head down and allowed his black, barbed horn to break the stillness of their reflections in the water, ripples circling and pulsating away from the disturbance. “I have to admit you are a rather intriguing character, Myrrdin, and if you believe you are as well-versed as you claim, than I am certain we can find a place for you here.”

Shuler stepped gently into the waiting hot springs, wading out into the water until it had reached his flank and half way up his shoulder. There was something instantly soothing about the spring, yet at the same time there was energy in the water that ate away any soreness and renewed the body with fresh vitality. In a moment of childish impulse Shuler continued to wade through the water, drawing his knees up to his chest in a high legged and odd looking fashion, allowing his hooves to slam down back into the water, throwing it’s warmth into the air and sending a thousand shimmering sparkles of the liquid flying, the bleak rays of sunlight filtering down from the cloudy firmament illuminating them in a brief moment of radiance. The phantom quickly regained his composure though, turning back and sloshing through the water toward Myrrdin once more, golden coat dark and soaked.

“I think I have been fair and answered your questions, have I not?” Shuler asked politely, an amusing and cordial sound that would have been more common among old friends in jest, “Come, enjoy the hot springs, and perhaps share more of your story, if you would.”

Despite that Myr looked worse for wear, Shuler saw past his physical limitations, and was concerned more with the matters of his mind. The stallion seemed to have deep roots of knowledge that came with the experience for having survived for so long, there was no telling what things he had seen, what tools and tricks he had hidden in that encyclopedic mind of his. However, one thing Shuler did know for certain was that Psyche would no doubt find Myrddin useful. And that was all that really mattered. The young unicorn would admit to himself though that he found the old creature entertaining and endearing in a strange sort of way. He stopped before the blinded unicorn and stood, watching contemplatively from the warm depths of the water, golden brown eyes searching the pale cloudiness of Myrrdin’s that stared blankly back at him.

Deceased
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

The hot springs are directly in front of you, which I’m sure you’ve been able to determine

In fact, Myr hadn't be able to determine. The way that the sound waves bounced off of the water, and the pristine basin, made it hard for Myr to visualize where things were in space. He grit his teeth, as he considered once again visiting the Gods of this place. Would these God's be as fickle as the ones that he used to know? Those God's however, knew him for what he truly was. He could not hide his demonic heritage from them. But here, in Helovia...Well, certain truths might be best left unsaid. Muttered a word of thanks, both to the indication of where the hot springs were, and the fact that the youngling had pretend not to notice that Myr was unsure of where to go, he delicately stepped forward.

As Myr felt the warm water pooling over his hooves, he sighed with relief; moving fully into the water, until it enveloped his back. Myrddin often stood like this in the freezing waters of the Steppe. The cold seemed to lock his joints in place, leaving less room for the arthritic monster which lived in his joints, to move about. He would let the cold completely overwhelm it - feeling the bitting and gnawing pain eating away at his flesh. If he focused hard enough on the bright white pain, it allowed his mind to let everything else float away - he was able to fully meditate away from his body, which he could no longer feel. The feeling of the warm water, however, was quite different. As the heat worked its way into his old joints, he felt them begin to limber up. While the cold held everything in place, the heat seemed to allow his body the freedom of movement once again. His muscles felt looser, and his body, more flexible. The heat was not helping all of the cuts the adorned his aged hide, but it was a small price to pay.

Myr large moose-ears flickered as Shuler once again inquired about his past. hmmm. How much to tell? "I have not always been as I am. Once upon a time, I had a rather different shape. And a different name; Lailoken." He began cryptically. "My life in this body that you see now, began when a witch-queen, Ygrane, sent me on a quest to fulfill an ancient prophecy. I needed to find her true love...and so I scoured the earth for years, searching, until I came upon two twins. One of these twins, Arthur, proved to be a would-be-King, who would fulfill the prophecy. However, there was a dragon, as ancient as the earth itself, who worked with the Daoine Sid, a power group who sought to see that this prophecy never be fulfilled. But it was, of course, or I wouldn't be here, would I?" Myrddin paused, staring off into the distance envisioning the battles that took place in the name of the Regalis, which is to say, Arthur's band. He imagined his queen, Ygrane, the most beautiful that he had ever layed eyes on, even to this day. And Arthur, a spiritual lad both courageous and kind of heart. Myrddin thought of the sessions teaching Arthur to fight, to strategize in battle, and even council on reconciling fights with his heart-mate, Ygrane. He shook his head, and if they could have, his eyes would have appeared to re-focus, as he returned to the present moment. "But that was all years before your time, youngling; I would not be surprised if I was the oldest mortal alive at this very moment...I doubt there are any who know of the past of which I speak. Since then, I have traveled the earth in search of wisdom...But finding none. Only more questions; for it is a paradox of knowledge, do you not see it? If you know what it is that you're looking for, then you do in fact know it, and do not need to search. But if you truly do not know, then how can you be sure if and when you've found it?"

Unregistered
[Image: shulertable.png]

The best lies about me are the ones I told

Shuler was always sure to mind his manners. He watched quietly as Myrrdin submerged his old, rickety body into the warm waters of the hot springs. He himself was reluctant to leave the warmth the Basin’s little hidden oasis provided, preferring it over the lingering chill that still held onto the land in the early days of Birdsong. As the old unicorn began his story, Shuler paid close attention, listening with all the eagerness of a child being told an old legend. Little did the dun stallion know that the unicorn wading in the hot springs with him was a bit of legend himself.

Stories of kings and queens, lovers and quests, all melded and meshed into a vibrant, bright image in Shuler’s head as Myr told his tale. He puzzled over what the old stallion meant when he spoke of being different, and Shuler tried his best to warp his often straight lined logic around what he would have otherwise deemed impossible. He soaked up the words that came from the white stallion like a proverbial sponge, wondering in genuine earnest at the idea of dragons and prophecies and war, all in the name of that quizzical, impossible, four-lettered word that individuals often did not mean, and spoke too much. Shuler sensed that there was much, much more to Myrrdin’s story, but he did not push for further information. The little taste of the tale the older stallion did give him to would be enough to satiate his curiosity’s hunger for now. Perhaps once a better ground work was laid, and a better friendship was struck with this unique individual, Shuler would be privy to more the rather interesting story.

One thing was certain, he would forget nothing he had been told.

If you know what it is that you're looking for, then you do in fact know it, and do not need to search. But if you truly do not know, then how can you be sure if and when you've found it?"

There was no denying the blatant truth in Myrrdin’s words, and Shuler nodded gravely, having great respect for the earnest honesty with which the wise, old unicorn spoke. Shuler himself had often pondered over similar questions himself, wondering where he was going, and what he was after. It still remained a question that lingered with annoying frequency in the back of his mind, and while he still did not know what exactly he searched for, or what it was he wanted, he did feel he had found a part of that here in the Basin. The young, gold stallion gave himself a hearty shake, throwing spinning, spiraling droplets of water into the Basin air. They caught the light and in the brief moments they were suspended in the air, one might have noticed the reflection of the two unicorns in the water below them, and the iridescent shimmering of a rainbow like a vibrant, multicolored prism, before they fell back at gravity’s bidding into the water once more.

"There is more truth in your words than you know, Sir Myrrdin." Shuler appraised, “I do hope you know it is the greatest honor that you would choose to share your history with me.”

The younger stallion shifted his hooves in the waters, soft, murky sand shifting, sliding and sticky beneath him. He looked at his own reflection peering back at him blankly from the hot springs otherwise quiet surface, surprised at the sudden shadow of uncertainty that had come to surface at Myrrdin’s talk of knowing, or not.

“Do you wish to seek out our healer?” Shuler interrupted his own personal contemplations and turned his attention back to the pale eyed stallion who stood across from him, observing Myr’s scrapes and scratches that he could see above the water he was submerged in. “If so, I’m sure I could aid you in finding him, from what I have heard he is the very best.”

[Image: shulertable2.png]

Deceased
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

There is more truth in your words than you know Shuler had said. Myrddin disagreed. He did in fact know exactly how much truth there were in his words. But then again, the world he knew was moving on. The world where one spoke thoughtfully, and did in fact think before speaking. Here, however, there was the overwhelming need to be an individual, to make your mark, to live up to a bunch of stupid stereotypes: to be bold, brave, handsome, charming...Ugh. he thought wearily. It was all too much. He found many of the horses here, defined themselves by their actions; actions which had already been fated. Then again, Myrddin was a determinist; he believed that everything was already set in stone. It was merely an epistemological question of how much we know about it. But every move you make, is decided by the move that came before that...and before that...

Myr shifted his blind gaze back into focus, if it could anyways, as he heard Shuler begin to speak. Something about seeing a doctor. He must mean d'Art. Myr thought, grunting. A large paint mare, a horse, had offered to heal his wounds as well. He'd much rather have a female tending to his wounds, but would certainly take a unicorn presence, over an equine one. "Bah. There are those who I am sure could use the good Doctor's skills more than I. This water is doing quite nicely." Frowning, Myrddin moved his long legs under the water, feeling the loosening of his joints. While the water may be good for his bones, it was doing nothing for the gashes which laced his limbs. Idly, he wondered if they would scar. There was a day when his vanity might have made him care of the lacerations marred his prestine white hide. Now however, he just hoped his skin would hold his bones together long enough to see another season. Getting old was awful. Being old, unbearable.

"Tell me youngling, what do you know of this new God of the Spark? Who so graciously created this land that we now find ourselves in?"

[OOC: Sorry, I left it short. I'm waiting to hear back on what quest Myr needs to go on to get his 'sight' back. Then we can go from there, if Shuler wants to come ^^]

Unregistered

S h u l e r         
The best lies about me are the ones I told.

Stubborn, Shuler could tell that it was a character trait of Myrrdin’s, but one that he respected. At the blinded unicorn’s refusal, Shuler responded with a shrug. It mattered little whether or not Myr chose to see a healer or not, not that the golden phantom didn’t care, but he appreciated one’s mind being made up, so he would not sway the aged stallion’s decision. Shuler appraised Myrrdin’s withered, weary body with more empathy than he would have afforded anyone else. If this is what growing old meant, turning into someone dependent on others for survival, Shuler wasn’t sure if it was something he wanted to experience. Sure, a life well lived as an accomplishment in itself, but if the dun were to choose between longevity or youth, he would much rather pass before the best of his days were over, instead of being left to waste away.

At the white stallion’s question of the Time God, Shuler hesitated. What did he know? There was so little any of them had been able to gleen and learn in the small amount of time spent in the God of the Spark’s presence. Shuler assumed that the God seemed fair and just, but as any other immortal or mortal being on this earth, he knew there was typically something else to drive their motives. What the Time God intended to use Pysche and the Plague for, Shuler was unsure. It was a question not even he had really considered until now, perhaps a topic to discuss in council with the Dark Empress at a later date. The dun unicorn did know this; price for anything must always be paid. The Time God, like any keeper, would come to collect on his promise at some point.

"The God of the Spark, gracious he is.” Shuler murmured thoughtfully, “Though in all honesty I have not been able to learn very much about him. I do know Psyche will be in his debt indefinitely with this generous gift of the Basin. I do wonder though, what means we will play to his end. Perhaps our lovely Dark Empress will be able to enlighten you where I have not on the matter; she would be the one to know.”

Shuler chose then to step out of the hot springs water’s, having grown too comfortable in its enveloping warmth. The stallion strode up the bank in long, cat like strides, shaking off the residue liquid with a quick full body shake of his lithe frame. To the west, the sun was following it’s course and beginning to sink behind the peaks of the mountains there, rays of light spiraling upward in brilliant shades of bright orange and red against the backdrop of scattered white clouds. Shuler would have commented on the sight, as pretty as it was, for he appreciates those types of things, but sadly Myrddin could not partake in the view. The golden Unicorn glanced over his shoulder to look at the white unicorn, long shadows from the trees around the clearing and the springs stretching and clawing their way across the ground, causing a mottled mixture of dark colors. He could feel the approaching basin chill that often accompanied the night time ours, and Shuler looked to the woods, and further up the ridges to the mountainside where caves dotted the scenery.

"Perhaps we should seek shelter, before night fall, that way it is easier to travel.” Shuler’s words are simply a suggestion, it would not bother him whether it was dark or not, for he had confidence that he could lead Myrrdin despite his blindness, even in the dark. He had spent many evenings and early mornings the last week combing the Basin and its surroundings, finding every nook and cranny available for a unicorn to view, until he had mapped out the entire area in his head. There were even places they could rest and feed where thickets could provide shelter and grass already grew. He would leave the decision up to his new friend. Friend, it was nice to use the word in connotation to a real, existant being with a fully functioning brain, unlike some of the individuals he had the pleasure of meeting.

"And, perhaps in the morning we can seek out Lady Psyche.” Shuler added this as an afterthought, knowing that it could be purely wishful thinking that she had returned from her capture already. But Shuler had been known to be rather lucky, so perhaps his doubts would be proven wrong.

[OOC: Arg, sorry this is like... all over the place. Anyways, mayhaps Shuler could help Myr seek out Psyche? And if he needs a friend to help him on his quest, I'm sure Shuler wouldn't mind accompanying him if you'd like. :) ]

Image Credits. Made by Ali.<3

Deceased
Aud
[OOC: Okay. Lemme see if I can get approval for Myr to have a vision, and then maybe we can have a vision/Myr/Psyche/Shuler thread?]

Unregistered
[OOC: Sounds good, we can do whatever you want, doesn't make a difference to me. I'd say we can call this finished! :)]