the Rift

one hundred ways to break a heart [open]

Tor Posts: 197
World's Edge Nurse
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 9
Adoptable

bound to wander forever, but maybe not alone

Oh, dear. Tor thought to herself, avoiding the urge to shiver. From pleasure or nerves she didn't know. And here the boy came in front of her again, slipped like a fish ahead of her, turned to face her, as if blocking her from running again. I couldn't be happier to hear, and I'm sorry I don't have those feelings for you. Warm brown eyes blinked, trying to make sense of his words.

How could one be happy to be loved, but not love back? If he didn't love her, couldn't he just say that, instead of saying these hesitant maybes? Not promises, she knew, but... yes, she felt hopeful, and at the same time didn't want to feel hopeful. She didn't want to break herself down again. Didn't want to feel this confusion and pain all jumbled together into a jigsaw puzzle where the pieces didn't fit.

"Lace." Tor said, because it was a good way to kick off her next words. "Do you know why I became a healer?" She paused, and continued on. "When I was young, I lived in a nice tidy place, cozy and friendly with family. We were a good herd, and lovely one. A stallion came by, a stallion named Nanook. For a while I thought I loved him. I thought he was something special. But eventually I realized he was not so much a love as a brother. We traveled together, him and I. He found a herd of his own to foster. I left, kept traveling, apprenticed to a mare named Lei. It was then I heard news of him. He had died due to an infection. My brother died. And I decided to making healing my profession, instead of something to do. I don't want to have anyone feel the pain I felt. And I finally understood the saying my teacher had told me- 'Healers are born, but only become through pain'." Tor smiled faintly. No longer did she feel sadness for her lost family member- she remembered the good for him.

Her tail flicked, swatting away the flies. "Lei was a wise old mentor. Blind, a bit crazy, an astronomer. She was fun though. She taught me new ideas and I learned so much from her. A bear killed her." Tor swallowed. Somehow, her response had turned into her story. "I left again, came to Helovia. I still wonder what would've happened if I went home to Li'Nal again, the place of eternal winter, to help my herd there. Sometimes I wonder if my sisters miss me, or if they've gotten over the pain of me being gone like I with them. I wonder about my dad. I wonder about my mother. Blackfoot he was named, and my mum was known was the fairest in the land. If only her looks had passed on to me!" Tor chuckled, thinking way back to the slender Friesian.

"I met Paladin first. I moved on. I healed Mauja and the ex-Edge. Compassion. I was scared at first, of being rediciuled by other horses for being kind to racist unicorns. Faelene as well. I met Ophelia with Mauja. I traveled to the Endless Blue, met Phi again. She's probably my closest friend in this wild land with gods of flesh. I was offered to join a band of mercenaries, you know? I was hesitant. I joined anyways, because what better way to help heal than heal anyone who needs it? I was taken by you a long time ago. Sometimes I feel I only really began living when I came here." She sighed. It felt strange, recounting all her memories. Lei the Shaman. Mauja the FrostHeart. Ophelia, dear Phi. And Lace... where did Lace fit in?

TOR

WORDS OF COMPASSION ARE STRONGER THAN ANY ACT OF POWER.

Messages In This Thread
RE: one hundred ways to break a heart [open] - by Tor - 12-09-2012, 08:52 PM