the Rift

....In a Pear Tree (Crowley/Ecco)

Zikar-Sin Posts: 78
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 8
M.E.

Hmmm.

It was twilight; the sun was in the midst of setting, casting red-gold rays shooting across the mountain tops, skimming against the clear surface of the never-frozen lake; somewhere southward a flock of crows cried madly with lust, surely gathering around some poor mound of a dead beast that had been unfortunate in their travels. A vague worry settled itself in the back of Sin's mind; a sense of protective obsession, wondering dimly if, perhaps, the crows had found the dainty little form of Farai? Even as he thought it, however, Sin registered the surrounding scent of the filly, and also remembered that she was safe within the walled valley. It would be most unusual for the darling little thing to be in peril in this safe winter meadow.

Instead, Sin's full attention was right in front of him-- or rather, above him slightly, as he gazed at the topmost boughs of a tree. His eyes were glazed over and wide as great, radiant pearls-- a trait that was commonly associated with his burning passion of philosophy-- and he stood perfectly still in the shadow of the flimsy tree. Sometimes he obsessed himself with natural occurrences (what was lightning made out of? Why did acorns wear tiny hats?) and sometimes his passions were directed toward social phenomenon (why did other horses steal each other so often? Why not just knock and ask each other kindly to play?) but this time, Sin was rather enthralled with a rather worthless, yet nonetheless interesting inquiry.

I wonder...What would happen if I get into a tree?

It would seem a silly question to ask, but to one such as Sin, the concept was terribly exciting. What did the view look like from the top of a tree? Did the air smell different? How come horses didn't attempt to climb trees all the time? Has there ever been a horse in a tree? And if he attempted it himself, would he be the first? Would he get indigestion? Sin was lost so deeply in his thoughts that he reared up, quite unconsciously, and extended one of his fore-hooves upwards, scraping the bark with his cloven hoof and lashing his tail in painful temptation.

Once upon a time, Sin's dearest ambition was to figure out how wings imbued the power of flight. Now, all he wanted was to get his dappled ass into a tree.

(OOC: Moste Randome Threade Ever. GO)

Crowley Posts: 166
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 12 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Talbot :: Common Hellhound :: Acid & Name? :: Caracal :: None Dingo

For once, it was a slow day in the Basin, the residents milling about and being generally lazy. Some might see this as a nice change, but for those of more restless minds, it was simply agonizing. During his last scouring of the Threshold, Crowley had managed to get himself into a tiff with a repulsively colored unicorn, but had come back with a new recruit to the Plague. Upon finding no more in the general area of newcomers, the stallion had returned home in search of more excitement, but it seemed to be lacking.

That was until he stumbled across the greyed form of another Auroran.

His steps slowed as he watched the younger stallion, whose gaze seemed afixed to a rather scrawny, unimpressive looking tree stretched out above him. Although he was quiet, those eerily blue eyes seemed to ask a million questions all by himself. Crowley almost dismissed the stranger and continued on his merry way, but when the other unicorn suddenly raised to his hind legs and struck out at the innocent tree, the brindle simply could not dismiss such odd behavior.

"Darling, did that sapling look at you wrong or something? I do hate when that happens." The brindle spoke up as he approached, his yellowed gaze regarding the other with a look of perplexity, "Pardon my inquiry, but What in heavens do you think you are doing?" Of course, Crowley could care less for the tree's welfare, he was merely curious. He could remember seeing this stallion before, but only in passing. Was he a part of the Plague?

the devil tips his hat to me

Ecco Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Ecco
We’re Comfortable Killers

This was his new home, this Basin… It was strange, but quiet, and oh, how Ecco loved the quiet. It helped him think, allowed his mind to settle in a relaxing place where only he could go. Quite often the stallion would find himself walking the plains of the Basin, physically there, but mentally far, far away. He had explored his new home since Crowley, the brindled Unicorn, had brought him back from the Threshold, and what he had found suited him nicely; others like him, who hated the equality-preaching fools of the world.

It was during one such escapade, walking with no destination with his head low and thoughts rambling on in his head when he came across a peculiar sight. A dappled stallion with an askew horn was balancing on his back haunches, front hooves outstretched towards the reaches of a rather sickly looking tree. The look of utter contemplation was on the creature’s face, as if all of the answers of the world rested on the tree’s very branches and he had to be the one to retrieve them. Crowley was there as well, looking just as puzzled as he was, but the brindled one was the first to speak.

Ever so slowly Ecco moved closer to the tree, circling it and gazing up into its branches. No, there wasn’t anything in them. No small critters of any kind, no stolen or lost belongings, or more importantly, no answers to the world’s deepest, most secretive questions. “If you lost something,” he began, finally tearing his eyes away from the branches and looking to the other dappled, who still looked as if he were Hell-bent on getting into the tree, “I do not think that this tree is the culprit.”

[Ooc: Oh, this thread… I think it will be fun. XD]

Zikar-Sin Posts: 78
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 8
M.E.
Sin continued to gaze deeply into the highest boughs of the tree before him. Well, it was more of a sapling than a tree, for it was rather slender and not quite as tall as one would expect from a deciduous specimen. One might actually stipulate it as a rather tall and gangly bush, but these points didn't quite cross Sin's mental field of interest. He leaned into the bark of the tree, feeling his weight and imagining himself leaping most gracefully onto on the of lower-most boughs, the tantalizing possibility tangible on his tongue as the wish to reside in the tree suffused Sin's entire being.

*"Darling, did that sapling look at you wrong or something? I do hate when that happens."*

Sin didn't skip a beat. "Yes, yes of course," he said absently, his sights still intent upon the highest branches and brambles, "It is rather irksome, isn't it? However, this is not the case with this tree, as it has agreed quite amiably to sit still and behave during the course of my studies. Yes." With a slight groan, Sin backed up off of the tree and settled onto all four cloven feet. He moved no more, however; his muscles trembled with dormant energy, though the dappled stud didn't blink an eyelash as his piercing, penetrating gaze seemed to peel back the bark of the unworthy tree. He was focusing himself. Suffusing every nerve-ending and hair with the greatest desire he had at that particular moment. He was going to climb the tree. He was going to be the tree.

*"Pardon my inquiry, but What in heavens do you think you are doing?"*

The intensity of his focus was so great, Sin only responded to the brindle-sided spectator out of sheer compuslion. "To get into a tree," he stated simply. No sooner had the words escaped his lips when the springs in his legs seemed to burst; he suddenly reared up, giving a great, powerful shove off the ground with his hind feet and giving a grunting neigh; he shot upwards and forwards, reaching up awkwardly with his forefeet and aiming himself for the hooking, drooping lowermost branch of the tree.

Sin didn't quite count on the tree's resistance-- or rather, the tree's lack of resistance. The thing really was quite the puny specimen, and as Sin threw his full weight upon it, the springy trunk yielded to his bulk, bending back as far so that the branches scraped against the tree's neighbors, creating a most curious cacophony of groaning, protesting foliage. Sin was so unprepared and shocked, his focus broke-- and as his surprise suffused his thoughts, he lessened the energy in his assault, and so when the trunk flung back and shoved the dappled beast off of it, Sin flew quite willingly backwards, hitting the dirt on his side with a loud huff and snort.

Sin positioned his gangly legs and rolled back onto his feet, quite unabashed and unperturbed by his spectacular failure. Such was the territory that came with scientific pursuits, but drat he really wanted to be in that tree! He gave a most wistful sigh and decided that for the moment he should address his visitor before beginning his next assault attempt.

*"If you lost something, I do not think that this tree is the culprit.”*

As he took stock of his surroundings, Sin blinked rather rapidly. He had not one, but two eager witnesses to science! How rude he must have been to be so preoccupied with his endeavors! "No, brother, I don't believe this tree has any possession of mine," he clarified to the stud with the azure horn, shifting the unblinking gaze of ice-blue onto him; sadly, something like sarcasm was lost on one such as Sin, and he was most earnest in every one of his dealings. " I must beg your pardon, kind sirs, for ignoring you so readily! I am Zikar-Sin. Please grant me the indulgence of your own names; I'm quite new to this territory and I'm afraid I can't remember seeing your faces before now."

Crowley Posts: 166
Outcast atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 5.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.2 :: 12 HP: 62.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Talbot :: Common Hellhound :: Acid & Name? :: Caracal :: None Dingo

The stallion standing before him never once let his gaze stray from the pathetic tree sprouted in front of him. Even as Ecco, one of the stallions he had recruited to their lovely home in the Basin, showed up, the dappled unicorn barely seemed to take notice. He had answered their questions to an extent, yes, but there was something definitely off about Sin. And then, he proclaimed that his intentions were to actually climb up into the tree. But before he could muster anything else to say, Crowley could only watch the dappled scholar with mouth slightly agape as he launched himself into the air.

He was climbing the tree. He was climbing... the tree. Like a goddamn squirrel, but with the grace of a three legged elephant.

But just as quickly as it had begun, it seemed all over for the poor grey, for the flimsy tree could simply not hold a thousand pound beast. After all, equids were not designed for tree climbing, nor would they ever be. Sin's luck ran out when the tree came flying back, sending him roughly to the ground. Try as he might, Crowley could not help himself when he broke out in laughter. One could not deny it, how hilarious this whole display had been, and he could only hope that Ecco was thinking the same.

Calming himself, the brindle focused his golden eyes upon the dappled stallion in time to catch his name. 'Zikar-Sin,' he repeated in his head, committing it to his memory. He was sure he would never forget the younger unicorn, but it was always a good thing to remember a name along with a face. Clearing his throat, Crowley took a deep breath to soothe his quaking sides, and gave a nod of his head to Sin. "You put on quite a good show, lad. My name is Crowley." A glance to the now skewed sapling, and another soft chuckle.

the devil tips his hat to me