the Rift

. blue lips .

Huyana Posts: 83
Aurora Basin Scholar
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15 hands :: 7 years Buff: NOVICE
Krazie

The moon filters through the boughs like haunted things as the girl weaves her way crookedly through the forest, glowing softly, like heavy rain on sidewalk. Carefully, silently, dark cloven hooves pad over soft footing of needles and leaves. It does not rain; it cannot rain, but the rainchild continues on, drawn by the promise of new beginnings, even when her legs threaten to tremble and relent.

Stars peek through openings in the high canopy like old friends, beckoning her on, even when the heart is so heavy, and blue eyes - blue like an overcast ocean, are fixated ahead, twinkling softly with wonder, the charcoal tip of her leonine tail twitching.

I must not look back, and she does not, pressing on until every twine of sinew attached to her skeleton aches, and the black scars, so close to healing, open again, but there is no soft drizzle to renew her, no shower to heal her. This is a land without rain, and she can feel it.

And the rainchild pauses, like a nymph sheltered only by moonlight, her sadness in those blue eyes - blue like summer rain.

But there is also hope.

Aurelius Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

As the moon was showering the landscape in a soft glow, the temperatures lowered to a comfortable level. This called out Aurelius from his shelter, his restless heart once again driving him out through the realm. His stocky, short legs carried him across marsh and field, the moonlight shining clear as day. Small clouds of fog sprang from his nostrils, dew settling as tiny pearls on his broad back, giving him the same sheen as the rest of his surroundings. On his way back to the Edge, he decided to swing by the Threshold, just to see if a lonesome soul should be in need of assistance.

In between the heavy trunks, Aury’s dark pelt fell in nice with his surroundings, but his pearly white mane and tail didn’t serve as much camouflage. In the darkness, the withered brownness of the terrain wasn’t so bad, but he knew it was there, and it saddened him greatly. No, pissed him off rather. Someone ought to do something about it; he would gladly contribute, but due to his dwarven size, he probably couldn’t really make a difference. He shook his head an accelerated to a trot, trying to run off his negative thoughts, but he could not run from himself.

Her scent was carried to him on the slight breeze, as it swept through the forest. Slowing down, he inhaled deeply, soon stopping as the fae in question came into view. She was nothing short of beautiful, there seemed to be a certain glow about her, and he wasn’t late to notice the horn growing from her forehead. A smile showed on his lips; a candidate for the Edge, surely. He whinnied to her softly as she stopped in her tracks, noticing that she was wounded. A deep furrow appeared in his brow, voice laden with concern as his smooth chords left his mouth. "My lady, are you in need of assistance? You shouldn’t be out here alone, not in this state," he spoke, realizing he had left out his introduction. "Pardon me; I am Aurelius, of The World’s Edge. If there is anything I can do for you…" He took a step closer, friendliness shining out of his mismatched eyes. He was hardly threatening, but he hoped she would trust in him.

Aurora Basin Scholar
Krazie

Only nighttime sounds enter the fringes of her consciousness, a quiet chorus of sleeping creatures and nocturnal things. The branches sway over her head, a steady soft sound, a lullaby for the slumbering. She is not herself anymore, but a nighttime nymph, a warm breeze, a girl without a body, without voice.

Free.

The world is desaturated - flushed of all color, bathed in a softness only moonlight can bestow. His call comes much faster than he, this small sturdy thing with his strange horns and stars twinkling softly in his mismatched eyes. The roan lifts her head minutely, ears attentive. As he comes closer, she notices worry congealing on his kind face, an unsightly thing, and the rainchild longs to make it go away. He is kind, with a heart that certainly cannot fit within his frame.

Giant, an absent smile comes to her as he speaks, blue eyes like dark puddles, swimming. "I'm okay," her voice is diffused, faraway, although those pools are on his, searching, finding. "Where am I, Giant?" There is no trace of malice or mockery in her tone, just the sound of waves and seabirds calling in the skies. Names are precious, she knows, and nicknames are from the heart.

raindrops HUYANA falling
keep

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
Wind played with ivory locks, soft moonlight dancing across my nape as it flittered through the canopy of leaves far, far above. Nimble legs followed the trail of crumpled leaves left behind by a wandering soul, his heady aroma lingering upon the foliage and permeating the air. His scent was foreign and pleasant, something I had not experienced yet in this land but enjoyed nonetheless; I assumed he must be of the World's Edge, for the direction he had ventured was away from Helovia, marking the unknown male as resident.

A new scent joins the medley, and I assume I am close now. Soft voices; a greeting expunged from curious lips before the form was spotted. Masculine, as anticipated; it knocks against my ears and tunnels down to my mind for storage. From the World's Edge, he said, and I felt satisfaction at the accuracy of my assessment. Steps move closer, eyes searching out the duo. Silhouettes, one small and the other smaller. One horned, the other... also horned, but unusually so. His mane reflects the moonlight, same as mine; I suppress a grin at his miniscule stature. Closer still: I'm okay, says the subdued voice, the girl speaking now. Where am I?

I am too close to be ignored now, unobtrusive as a shadow but as present as the moon. "You are in Helovia." Low vocals enter the group, tall figure flowing into place and dwarfing the pony; a nod is offered to him, face veiled against the amusement of his stature. "Many come here, from many lands." My voice is quiet, neck arched gracefully and dark eyes glittering with curious interest. There was no question posed, simply an observation. Unfortunately, I was still mildly uncomfortable when faced with interactions; but it was my nature to let others speak as I listened, so I hid behind the comfort of habit, and waited.

Unregistered

Her attempt to reassure him is rejected. "I’m short, my dear, not blind. You’re hurt, any fool can tell," he says, his voice a bit firmer, but still kind. He wouldn’t push her if she didn’t wish to pour her story out to him, he wouldn’t expect her to, but he couldn’t ignore the circumstances either. Having a big heart was not something he could deny, and it had gotten him into trouble in his past, but there are certain things that never change. Such was his compassionate nature, combined with a just mind; he could not simply look the other way. His rugged features smoothed out slightly, not quite wanting to settle with her answer, yet a smile broke through when she spoke again. Giant? That’s a new one, but he liked the irony of it. Her voice wasn’t one of mockery, as one might have expected, but sincere. Just as he was about to open his mouth in reply, their conversation was disturbed by the arrival of another. Aurelius had not caught her scent, as the winds were in her favor, so when she spoke he looked in her direction with slight curiosity on his face.

She was taller than both of them, clad in black but accented with white like Aurelius himself. He couldn’t help but feel a spark of annoyance as she answered a question that was originally addressed to him; that is poor manners, in his opinion, but the thought passed swiftly. She was hornless, he remarked calmly; he wouldn’t hold it against her, but others will. He nods back at her curtly, looking her in the eye calmly. Aury couldn’t read her, except from curiosity directed at the stranger. Being mocked for his size and looks wasn’t new to him, he had been an object of ridicule his whole life, so he wouldn’t be surprised by another set of mocking eyes. Like I said, some things apparently never change. Aurelius had learned to live with his obvious flaws, knowing life often granted him bigger obstacles than his regular sized companions, but he could handle it. They wouldn’t have the satisfaction of bringing him down.

As this newcomer didn’t contribute with much else than observations, not even a name, Aury felt that it was up to him to carry on conversation. "We have skilled healers at The Edge. They will gladly tend to you my lady, and I shall be honored to bring you to them," he hummed, hoping he wouldn’t get on her nerves with his concern. Just let me take care of you, he thought, gazing into her blue eyes that were almost painful to look at. Aury took a step closer to her, seeking to comfort her in some way, but instead of reaching out as he had intended, he stopped himself. He didn’t know her, for all he knew she might not appreciate his fussing.

Aurora Basin Scholar
Krazie
[table was not agreeing with me :|]

With a soft expression, the blue mare (in many more ways than one) watches the pony, black ears tilted forward, listening. He cares of her torn hide, although it does not pain her. Does knowledge hurt? A gentle smile eases its way onto her mouth, long whiskers quivering with the tremulous motion. She does not want to disagree with him, for she cannot - blood pools and drips from the torn scabs. Black head turns, her soft pink tongue easing his sight of bloodstains, the taste of her life like iron on her tastebuds. "I cannot say I disagree," she says, obsidian horn rubbing against sterling fur as the last drops of red disappear. They will keep coming.
Another arrives. Slate eyes swivel to see: a mare, dark as a moonless night, boasting a mane and tail as pale as the crescent on her haunches. She swings her head forward, the faintest trace of blood on her lips. More wells on the dips and holes of her flesh. Huyana chooses to ignore it. The dark mare answers her question, Helovia. It is a name full of sunlight, unlike the gentle vowels of Anarore, nor the intrigue of Isilme. Helovia; it is an honest name, full of promise. Promise of what, though? She cannot deny the pull of information, the terrible itch which comes with knowledge. Through dark eyelashes, she watches the black, wondering if her face would betray anything more.
Giant speaks, impatience twined with the gentle tone of his voice. Her eyes find him, emerald and onyx. Healers? "Does the Edge have an ocean?" velvet lips ask, a vague look leaking into her eyes. It has been too long since she had seen brine churning, the tireless pull of water, a million lives caught within the great glass panes. They breathe water as she breathes air, something the mare yearns to do. After all, would it not be natural for a child of the sea?
Giant makes a small gesture, a step closer. Concern flashes within his mismatched eyes, causing a generous laugh from the girl. She has not forgiven the world of its crimes, but she does not judge it, either. Laughing was what she did when the sting of home lashed across her body; he reminds her of sunny days.

Unregistered

Aurelius patiently watched the black mare to see if she had anything more to say, but it didn’t seem to him that the stranger had mind to speak. The blue mare speaks again and his petite ears swivel around to catch her words, attention drawn from the odd third party. Another smile replaced the one that had recently faded, vocals scruffy as he answered her inquiry. "Yes, we have an ocean, but no beach – it’s quite a sudden drop, but we’re not far from where the shore flattens into sand. Usually, the realm is covered in mists, or so I have been told; since our good God of the Sun went haywire, we haven’t had much relief from the heat," he paused, wondering if he should blurt out the state of his current home, which was not much more than a scorched plain, but he decided to keep it quiet. Looking into her eyes, a silent deal was made. Nodding to the dark stranger, Aurelius bade her farewell before turning to his new family member. "Let me lead the way, it isn’t far," he said, turning around and starting off slowly, making sure she would keep up.

[Thread coming up at the Edge.]