the Rift

A New Home [NEWCOMER][OPEN]

Reina Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
jA NEW HOME

Reina picked her way carefully up the hill, straining every muscle in her body to stay upright. She carried her head low but kept her eyes focused ahead of her. Her steps were getting shorter as her feet got heavier but she refused to give up, not when she was so close, not after she had travelled so far. Every step brought her closer but every breath brought her more pain. By now her knees were beginning to lock and her joints were becoming stiff.
Don't give up now.

The minutes crawled by, as did the hours, and the days. Moments lasted for months and dawn melted into dusk. Not once did Reina stop or take a break. She had been travelling for almost two months now, but it was hard to tell. She was looking for a land called Helovia, where she had heard she could find safety in a herd.

Suddenly, Reina caught sight of something that made her pause her train of thought for a moment. Did she see the top of the hill? I'm nearly there. She picked up her pace, ignoring the whole new level of pain that surged through her body. She was nearly trotting as she made her way towards the crest of the hill, however she soon had to return to a walk. Hours later she rounded the top of the hill and took in the amazing sight that lay before her.I'm going to be okay here.

She stood for a moment longer, taking in the view. Now, to find somebody else.
[/size]

Athena2 Posts: 48
Dragon's Throat Pupil
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.1hh :: 4 Years 8 Months
Adoptable

Something lonely clawed like a wild animal at Athena's insides. It seemed wherever she went every living being avoided her. The Throat was always humming with activity, and yet it seemed she could never find somebody to guide or even chat with since Andash and Aryel. Briefly she wondered where the both of them were, and a soft with escaped her maw. Hazel eyes swept the horizon, scanning every rock and crevice for a sign of equine life. The Threshold was the only place she could hope to find another creature after all. It had become a habit to make a trip to the forested place, hoping to find someone new to add to the ever swelling ranks of the Throat.

Lion tail dragged sullenly behind her, the wings that replaced the tuft normally found at the tip lifeless. Refusing to flutter and beat to the normally happy beat of her heart. Remembering Andash's beautiful little bird, their companionship, she wondered whether she should seek one as well.

No. If she ever went to the Veins, it would be for healing magic. Even if she was only lonely now, she had desired the magical healing that went beyond her natural remedies for as long as she'd known magic had existed. That would be her first thing to ask for. Athena was brought from her ponderings by a figure standing atop a hill, rather young if her eyesight was still reliable at this distance. Though certainly not a foal by her stature, perhaps Athena's age. Whickering out to the equine at the top, she climbed it herself at a trot. Enjoying the slight ache in her hindquarters as she propelled herself up the grassy slope. Tail flickering a little now as hope made the wings lift and flurry with excitement. "'Lo there. I'm Athena. Can I help you in any way?" Scenting nothing on her coat. Clearly unclaimed, which only made her anxious. She seemed rather exhausted, was she alright here on her own? What made her look so haggard?

Cypress Posts: N/A
Unregistered
A tall, stocky, white winged femme stumbled her way towards the conversation. She noticed another of her gender who seemed to be near collapsing, accompanied by a winged mare, who Cypress presumed was a Throat member, from the way she was so full of hospitality, which many wanderers possibly never contracted. That was the way of Cypress- observing. She could assume many things accurately just from using the way things were.

So now, Cypress paced foward to see if she could possibly be recruited. She found a small opening to the clearing, and hid in a cluster of trees, while peering out through the opening at the conversation. "...ena. Can I help you in any way?" She knew there was more to the sentence, but had not heard it in time. The mare seemed deep in thought as Cypress crept foward.

Damn! Cypress despised the branch that snapped as she continued, and despised BirdSong, coming soon as it did. The darn oak would have not cracked in the snow, packed into the infinite hoard of frost. Surely the two would note her presence now, so the creamy mare pressed on and emerged into the clearing, still chastising herself inwardly. Dang dang dang-"Hello." She interupted her thoughts by speaking what she should have instead of letting guilt take her over and consume her like the markings on a hybrid. She stopped walking, and spread her thick, feathery white wings.

Unregistered
Reina raised her head drearily and noticed the mare trotting towards her. She was about her own age but she seemed so... different. She was full of energy and she possessed an air of self-importance. Reina had never stumbled across someone so friendly and welcoming. There was also another difference. She had two small wings at the bottom of her tail.

As the mare came nearer, Reina stumbled backwards a few steps but she soon straightened herself up and stood tall. "Hello, my name is Reina and.. and I have come to sought out safety." Reina tried to speak formally and clearly but her voice came out croaky. She was not sure what else to say so she decided that she ought to mention how she came here. "I have travelled for months on foot from the East." She coughed and the effort shook her to the bones. She nearly fell onto her knees but she gathered together her energy and forced herself to stay on her feet.

A moment later, another mare appeared from behind some trees. She stepped towards Reina and Reina instinctively drew back. She was the same as Athena. But instead of two small wings at the bottom of the tail, she had two large ones attatched to her sides. When the new mare spoke, Reina waited for Athena to reply, not trusting herself to think of something to say.

Dragon's Throat Pupil
Adoptable

Legs carried her backwards uneasily before she stood fully, and Athena let her steady her tired legs, giving her the time she needed to compose herself. When she opened her maw to speak, Athena smiled encouragingly at her. Her coughing was worrisome and Athena frowned, her medic instincts telling her to take on this new patient even if all she needed was rest and some nourishment. Gently touching the mare's shoulder, concerned. "It's a pleasure to meet you, Reina. I'm a medic of a herd called the Dragon's Throat. It seems you've pushed yourself much too far in your traveling, dear." Reina had said she sought safety, and Athena instantly knew she couldn't let her leave on her own. Desiring already to lead her back to the Throat so she could rest. "If you seek safety, I would gladly take you back to my home where you can find companionship and shelter. You can stay until you are rested, or remain and become a part of my family." Gentle smile taking up her worried face once again.

Another mare had come, a pegasus swathed in creams. The crack of a branch alerted Athena to her presence, and she turned with an open face to welcome the newcomer. It seemed she had two mares to guide now, and she was quite eager to do so. "Hello there. I'm Athena, medic of the Dragon's Throat, and this is Reina." Motioning to the fatigued mare kindly. Lion tail flickering a little faster, happy that she had come to the Threshold on this day. Although it was sad that Reina was so tired, Athena knew she could help her and that only comforted her.

Unregistered
(I don't know if I am meant to wait for Cypress to respond. If I am, I am very sorry and I will delete this post immediately)

Reina closed her eyes for a moment as Athena spoke so kindly to her. She had never heard of someone welcoming a stranger so completely and she immediately felt warmed by Athena's presence and words. However she forced herself to close her eyes, just for one minute, to make sure that it was not all just a dream. This was exactly what she had hoped she would find.. shelter, other horse, food... And more than that, Athena had mentioned that she was a healer, maybe she could help Reina to recover. It was a general rule of thumb not to trust strangers but Reina didn't even consider turning Athena down. It's not like I could do any worse than I am now.

"Th-thank you," at first it was all that Reina could say but after a moment she gathered herself together and spoke again. "I have travelled for a long time, possibly for too long, but there was nothing left for me where I came from, and nothing to help me on my way except hope for what I would find at the end. I would be very grateful for your shelter and companionship but I hope you understand when I say, I cannot see myself travelling very far, very quickly."

Dragon's Throat Pupil
Adoptable

Correct me if I'm wrong; You're fragile and you're strong- a beautiful and perfect combination</style>

[[Its been quite a while so I'm sure it's perfectly fine to skip for the moment]]

The look of joy on Reina's face was enough to make Athena want to peruse the Threshold more frequently. Offering someone a home, companionship, it made her feel just as good. The lady is awfully worn out and Athena knows there's not much she can do in the way of healing. It is simply a case of exhaustion, not something you can truly heal. Perhaps chewing something to spruce you up, but other than that even magic cannot fix the ache of sleep. Though, should she follow, it was not far at all and she could rest all she needed once they arrived. 

Hazel eyes soften gently at her words, though her face has always been kind and understanding. Being born in a wonderful family that didn't judge her for her strange, or missing, features she knows the value of a true home. "It is my pleasure, dear girl. The Throat is not far from where we stand. I'm afraid there is not much I can do to ease the ache of exhaustion, even magic cannot achieve such things. However the heat of Helovia's Heart lies just outside the borders, it will ease whatever pain makes your muscles hurt. Rushing is unnecessary child, and you have my shoulder and strength to help you along on our way." Athena doesn't know if mint leaves are needed now to help her stay awake and alert. It won't do very much and she doesn't want to leave her to go looking for some. It would be best to use the rest of her energy trying to get her back to the desert. 

Credit

Unregistered
Reina sighed gratefully. It felt good to hand her problems over to someone else. She knew that that wasn't quite what she was doing but she hadn't spoken to another equine for months, whatever about ask one for help or be offered help. She was aware that she still had a hard time ahead of her, it could take weeks to recover from the complete and utter exhaustion, but suddenly her future began to look a lot brighter.

"Th-thank you." It was all Reina could say, or even think, for a few moments but then she pulled herself together and thought about what Athena had said. "I am very grateful. You are very kind. I am aware that I am not in the best state but I assure you that when, and if, I recover to my full health, I will be a strong and useful member of your society."

And she meant it. She was a naturally strong horse and she was smart. And quick. And agile. She only hoped that at some point, some time, she would be able to repay Athena for the kindness she was showing her. Without another word, she began to struggle forwards, her head lowered and her feet dragging but her determination as strong as ever.