the Rift

Ever Changing Tides [Kri]

Leander the LionHeart Posts: 184
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 8
Epona

LEANDER

your heart is the beacon, your heart is the storm

The golden rode upon the wind, sheets of pale hair trailing behind him. He glided above the sands of the Throat, yet not as high above the ground as he would normally rest. For Ember was upon his back, her talons clasped tightly around what mane and hide she could grab. Sometimes the young eagle would stretch her wings out long, letting the air currents dance beneath her feathers. Soon she would be able to shoot through the air like her bonded, and being along for his flights would serve to help her learn the art. Keen gold eyes stared at the draft's wings, noting every shift they took.

Soon the pair approached the shimmering blue of the lake, and Leander began a quick descent to the ground. He landed on the shoreline, sending dusty clouts of sand jumping around his hooves. There was purpose in the way his stocky frame drifted farther down the water's edge, pale eyes gazing out in search of the flaxen matriarch. "Kri. We have much to discuss, my friend." He spoke, coming to a halt. It was no easy task, to force the anger and bitterness to the back of his mind, but for now it was done. How long his resolve would last with his hot tempered friend, he did not know. All the LionHeart could do would be to prepare to take flight, should his moods begin to grow dangerous. He would not let himself hurt another innocent mare, spirit be damned. "Bazilisk has left us to become a servant of Psyche and her group. He is a traitor, but that will have to be dealt with another day." Venom laced his gaze, darkening across the sleek expanse of the water. It was a hard feeling to describe, to have one of the ones he'd helped allow into the herd as a loyal member turn into the enemy's dog. Beneath the rage, he'd been fond of Bazilisk, he'd had so much hope for him to prove himself. But the snake was nothing more than a snake; a slithering, deceptive creature. Ember was all that kept him from following the serpent to the North and ripping his throat out. The fault was not completely the reptile's though, for Kri had ignited the fire that had made the Artisan desire a new home. Leander could not forget her foolish actions anymore than he could forget that she had also kept the herd safe for many seasons. Sighing, he pulled his orbs from the lake, painfully readying himself to relay some of the information Faelene had given. "The ex-Edge has a new herd-land, given to them by the God of Time. They have several prisoners there, and no desire to find peace with any of the herds. They are not small in number. I plan to aid the World's Edge and the Foothill's in rescuing their members who have been taken prisoner, when the time is right." Raising his crown, Leander went on. "I have also learned of a group called the Grey. They would like to help ensure peace and avoid warfare with the Unicorns. I also plan to meet with their leaders, and discuss what ideas they may have in mind."

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

I'LL WEAVE YOUR NAMES INTO MY RIBCAGE,</style>
lock your hearts inside my chest.</style>

I slink to his side, though I struggle to keep the smug look from permeating my features. I had been right and this stallion a fool, but I had already written off the weaker of the two sexes years ago as being as competant. Instead, I focused mainly on the heart with which Leander poured himself into this herd. While the boy was not a keen on the ways of the world yet, he had the passion needed to uphold this herd in the absence of wisdom. It was this passion which pushed the grin from my face and back into a a sheet of stone, peering out with dark eyes that were a bit insulted he felt the need to tell me anything about the movements of our herd members.

I may not care for things outside my borders, but I sure as hell knew what my family was doing.

"Those who hold no respect for the rules of their leaders do not respect the leaders themselves," I say flatly, looking at the golden stallion as if he was a pupil needing to be taught. His ignorance in congratulating the snake had taught me that while the stallion loved the desert home deeply, he did not understand the hearts of others. I had never intended to be leader, but perhaps I was more suited than I had originally thought. "That is why I urged you not to congratulate those who flatly break them. It is like you are thanking them for disregarding your authority." I drop my gaze to his hooves momentarily as I step out from his side, closer toward the edge of the water. "My temper is thin, but even that fire does not cloud my judgment. I would urge you not to refute my warnings in front of foreign company again." It was hard to admit the faults of your own making, but there was no denying my head was fiery. The fact that others seemed to write me off as foolish because I spoke my mind is was irked me. Just like Leander had chided my words, like I knew nothing, like I was a child, like I had not been leader long before he - it was all weighing on my chest and pushing me uncomfortably. The wind, sensing my discomfort, tugs at my mane in a sorrowful sort of comfort. "It makes us look all the more weak."

While Bazilisk and Leander may blame my words for the treachery of the damned snake, they had only acted in the interests of security. Now, looking back at the wake of the Artisan's absence, I am certain more than ever that I was right to have spoken against his condescension. Think me a fool if you so wish, but in the end, I will be the one who is right.

The next set of words actually meant something to me, and I turn my head to look back up at his face as he speaks. "Why are you wasting your time on the Foothills?" I ask keenly, my eyes sharpening. "Our ties are with the Qian, and no one else; we should not expend our own strength rescuing those we have no relation with. As for Mirage, I plan to seek her rescue personally." I could almost hiss at him, seeking out relations with those who are of no interest to the herd. A waste of energy to us, likely to turn sour. Had I not needed Mirage's aid at the time of our own invasion, we likely would not even have ties with the World's Edge. We would be as isolated as possible, without need of politics. "Leander, I can only ask you as an equal, but I ask that you not extend olive branches to every enemy of the Plague. The less we involve ourselves with their plights, the less we are likely to be targeted by such a group."

"The only absolute way to avoid warfare with the Plague would be to strike an alliance with them directly, and since that is not going to happen, you should not meddle." I look at him sternly. I cared not for this new herdland, only that it made it less likely that we would have to fight to defend our land. I cared not for this new God he spoke of, nor did I care about the Grey. "We can maintain friendly ties without making promises." We are in no position to aid others when we can hardly keep our own members at home.
""

KRI the Resolute</style>
I WILL GIVE YOUR HEART A PLACE TO REST AFTER EVERYTHING YOU HAD HAS TURNED AND LEFT.</style>

Hidden Account
Epona

LEANDER

She was quickly beside him, a small mass of ochre and cream, staring out with those deep blue eyes. It was easy to come to regret the decision to speak with her, when already the look taking hold of her face was so hard. Could she not understand that he only wanted to do what she had asked in the first place? All he had done was to help the herd, and yet it seemed as though nothing would be enough for her. He wanted to keep the same level of respect he'd had for the petite leader the day he'd met her, but it was futile. She was too callous, close-minded, psyche wethered likely by years of leading alone and at her own whims. It was almost too much to handle, and if not for Ember's comforting presence he would have turned his back and left.

Sooty lips stayed sealed for the second reprimanding lecture. That was only for so long though. Did she really have to go so far as to blame him for their lack of unity? A bitter smile cracked his maw. No, that was her own doing. She came out of the woodwork and blatantly disagreed with his words, when she could have just as easily waited to speak to he and the Bazilisk alone. "Kri. Weakness was shown to our enemy, that I agree. If you want to disagree with my judgement, it would be best to do it in private. Do not expect me to hold my tongue when I do not agree with you. You asked for my help in leading the herd, and that is all I have tried to give. If I am expected to lay down and ignore what I believe is right, than I am not suited for this position." He spoke cooly, letting his own ice blue gaze fall down over her sharp features. Did she really expect him to acquiesce to her every word? He honestly had to wonder if the matriarch only appointed him for show, and had no real expectations of his ability to act as her partner.

"What you might deem a waste of time might be an opportunity to others. I believe that you will get more out of olive branches than with thorns." He glanced across the water as he spoke, glad for the space she put between them. It was better to have allies then potential enemies, and it was clear that the matriarch was much better at making the latter. That would be something that would have to change, if he were to keep his place as lead. The herd would see enough trouble in the future with the quickly growing Basin group. "The ex-Edge Unicorns deemed us an enemy the day we aided the Qian. And even more so, now that we have stolen members of their own. They will seek revenge upon us no matter what. We will need to have as many allies as we can. Their numbers grow." The hard edge of truth rang in his words. He was sure of every one he spoke. What wishful thinking, to believe that distancing themselves from the Foothill's would make them any less of a target. For such a battle hardened mare, he would have thought such things would be more clear to her. But then, how often did she really leave the Throat?

"I do not expect anyone else from the herd to help the Foothill's, unless they decide to do so for themselves. The Foothill's Chieftess is a personal ally of mine, and I will not stand idly by while she may be in danger. It will also be beneficial to see the Unicorn's new land and numbers for myself. I cannot expect to learn much by staying within our borders." He replied calmly. Kri could think what she would of the Foothill's, but he had little faith in her true knowledge of them. He had met all three of their leaders, though the equine Chief had been replaced. If she would try to protect the herd while shutting out like a hermit to the outside, then it would be so. He held no such qualms about leaving; there was always much to gain by staying abreast of the world's goings on, especially when there were those who sought to bring down his home.

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

"Protecting the validity of our rule should not be something you dispute, Sultan," I say venomously at this hypocrite. I had handled myself calmly thus far, but I can hardly take all of the blame for the situation when I am not the only one at fault. My blue eyes begin to burn with a passion that had been lost in my pitiful attempt to keep my temper at bay, for even as I had spoken of it, the brooding fire had begun to flicker underneath the chocolate expanse of my face. This ass, who I had trusted to uphold the same standards that I found to be important, disputing the very foundations of authority. "Why even have rules if no one is expected to follow them, you fool?" I ask openly, staring at him expectantly for a few moments before continuing on, my tongue turning to white a hot poker, pushing at the flames of my annoyance. "You can hold your own moral standards, but I will not have you throw dirt on the sanctity of this position. If you cannot protect the power, you should not wield it."

The next set of words the stallion had spoke referred to our lack of alliances, to which I snort at the end of thorns. "Did my words fall on deaf ears, Leander? I said friendly ties without promises. I am not requesting we torment the Foothills, just that we leave them the hell alone." My face is taut, emotions swirling around in my head as the previously calm wind begins to stir at my mane, tugging the tendrils forward and backward, a flurry of movement matching that of the mood within my mind. "I do not want enemies, but we have no need for dead weight, which is exactly what the Foothills would be." The smallest herd, suffering from a dilapidated structure of leadership. Soon, ours would be nothing more than a show for the court as well, if Leander and I could not reach an agreement.

"The informants have been stealing the Plague as a show of solidarity to the Qian, as well as protection of ourselves, as several ambushes had been attempted upon our own members." I throw the facts at his face, taking his twisted show of reasoning behind allying with the Foothills was nothing but open air. "Even by your own reasoning, if the Qian have caused us trouble, then only adding to the list of those we need to protect will strain us further. I care not for your personal allegiance with the Chieftess, for it is not one that shall apply to the entire herd. Throw yourself into the lion's den if you wish for this alliance, Leander, but I will not allow you to throw my kin into the pit with you." I have worked far to hard to keep this herd safe.
""

KRI the Resolute</style>
I WILL GIVE YOUR HEART A PLACE TO REST AFTER EVERYTHING YOU HAD HAS TURNED AND LEFT.</style>

Hidden Account
Epona

LEANDER

"Rules often need changing, Kri. I may think that there are improvements that can be made, but that does not mean that I dispute our rule. My concern is for the good of the herd, including the happiness of our members, and that is it." Leander spoke, letting his voice deepen further in an attempt to fight the rage rising within his own chest. The female temper was not something unknown to the charger, and ordinarily would not be something too difficult to deal with. But did she really feel the need to call him names, like some spoiled child? How could he hold on to his faith in her, when she did such things? Ashen lips parted in a dark crack, threatening to spit out venom to surpass the Sultana's. All that finally emerged was a weary sigh, and cerulean pools grew tired on the flaxen. "Kri, I am sorry to have angered you. I have only said and done what I believe to be right, and in the best interest of all of us. We must be able to understand each-others views. If we cannot do that then our leadership is nothing." He stated gently, resigned to the truth of the matter. "If you truly think I am a fool, then you have only to dismiss me from my position. I will not abandon my duties unless they are revoked." There was a cold certainty in his eyes as they clashed with her fiery glare, the readiness to accept whatever fate would give him clear. There was nothing more to do, for either her temper was strong enough to cloud her judgment of him, or she truly believed he was nothing more than a common fool. If she thought he was some idiot merely because his ideas were not the same, then she was no better than the ex-Edge Unicorns themselves.

"I feel it may be difficult to maintain friendly ties with those we do not speak to. It is also unclear whether or not the Foothill's themselves know that their ties to us are friendly. I am not suggesting we lay all our lives on the line for them at a moments notice, but is there no possibility for any form of alliance?" The golden regarded her more carefully now, the hint of concern lacing his features. It seemed as though she truly could not handle the slightest of opposition, and that was deeply troubling. The matriarch's bitter voice continued to cut the air, a far to harsh retort for anything he said. Regret washed over him. When he agreed to take up the responsibility of leadership, he thought that have an equal partner would make things easier, not far more difficult. The LionHeart held back from looking at her as a lunatic, throwing her anger at one who did not warrant it in the least. Instead, he frowned down at the blank face of the sand. "I am aware of why the informants have stolen members of the Basin. I mean no disrespect to you when I disagree, Kri. I only feel that my own information and ideas may be helpful if considered, and that is the only reason I voice them. Anger between us is foolish." Sky orbs had drifted back up to her face, searching for any small trace of softness as he spoke. There might be no way to quell her furious nature, but he would do all he could to try. The only alternative would be to resign, if she did not dismiss him first, and leave the Throat altogether. The prospect of leaving the Oasis was painful, and Leander decided to ignore the thought until it was absolutely necessary not to. Taking a step back towards the umber femm in a gingerly manner, he began. "I have heard first hand that the Unicorns do not care why we have taken their members. The only thing they care about is revenge, upon us just as much as the Qian. They are more clever than we would like to think. I believe the Foothill's may be attacked first, due to their location. If they fall, many innocent lives will be taken. I cannot speak for you or the rest of the herd of course, but I would not feel right letting a friendly neighboring group be massacred. I feel it would show weakness on our part. For if we are not strong enough to aid those we have friendly ties with, then are we truly strong enough to protect ourselves and the Qian? He asked her, every word spoken with genuine equability. "The Foothill's also has several excellent warriors, who could aid both us and the Qian, when our own time comes to deal with the Basin." The palomino added gently, sights still patiently waiting to gauge his partner's reaction. She soon went on, still with all the vehemence of the scorned. Deaf ears, indeed. He thought to himself, her pure disregard for his own words quite evidence. Every fiber of his being screamed to to leave her and all her thoughtless agitation, before the inevitable desire to draw blood kicked in. But defiantly he stayed beside her, forcing his massive crown to nod in a gesture of understanding. As if he could understand a burst of such ignorance. "As I said, Kri, I do not expect any of the herd to join me. My alliance with the Chieftess is my own. I do not make foreign friends often, but when I do it is of good cause. I only meant to say that if any of our members have friends who have been taken prisoner in the Basin, I will not try to stop them from confronting the Unicorns themselves." It was amazing, how calm and collected his voice could be, how much it could betray his true emotion. "I think most of our members have friends outside of the Throat, and I would not expect them to let a friend suffer. It may be wise for us to speak to the herd, brief everyone on the situation with the Basin and warn them to be careful if going North. Do you agree?" Steady tones questioned, still holding on to their level stance. Enduring her wrath would soon grow impossible, with the dark spirit grasping every measure of his soul. He could only hope in silence for some peace to be restored.

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

"There are ways to change rules in this herd, Leander, but we uphold them while they are in place. If you do not, then none of our members have reason to follow them," I say, my words ice and clear, eyes fiery enough without any words seeping out of my mouth. I could not believe that something so plainly logical was beyond the golden idiot. I shake my head, tossing about my blonde mane which cascades violently across my face and neck; however, my reality did not change. I was still faced with this same buffoon, slurring words that were flatly wrong about leadership. Whatever Leander had seen as a true leader in his past was wrong. What army had he followed in which the General did not uphold the standards and rules of their land? Where had he lived that the members simply overruled the laws of their leaders? Wide-eyed and shocked, I take a step back, unable to reckon with the truth that my partner in leading was truly this fucking stupid.

I could spit at him, but I refrain, instead I just snort, lifting my crown up like a snake about to strike. However, his next words only surprise me into further stupor. Me? Demote a fellow leader? Incredulous, staring at him with narrowing eyes, I could not decide if he was being entirely serious or just offering me this godsend in jest. The calm look and seriousness of his eyes answered the question I dare not ask. Instead, I begin to laugh, bitterly and broken in his face. I drop my head and laugh heavily, the red dirt swirling around my breath. When I stop, I lift my head, now calm, and speak with an even and steady voice. "If you are stupid enough to view me as superior and still question my words, then get out of my herd. You are no leader, Leander. You are nothing but a joke." I take pause, giving him a very long, hard look. "Consider that your demotion."

The rest of his words, arguing about foreign policies and allies, were of no more consequence. I just simply look at him, still and motionless, awaiting his reply.
""

KRI the Resolute</style>

Hidden Account
Epona

LEANDER

The next word that came out of the tiger's mouth actually made some sense. Still, she could not see past her own anger enough to remember that he had agreed with her when she told the Bazilisk to report to the Slueth in his doings. Forcing another nod of understanding, he looked to her with the same calm resolve. She could hold on to her damned temper, but he knew better. No one could lead properly with such a violent emotion swaying their tongue. "I agree, Kri. I did not realize that the Bazilisk's actions were going to be so disputed; he could not have known the rules by heart, being so new to the herd, and I judged his capture to be for the good of the herd. He was doing quite well as Artisan and as a member of the Throat, before he went outside of his duties." He held his words clear, remaining with eyes resting on her russet form. Where had the stoic leader gone? It was as if she had multiple sides just waiting to take control, and it was all he could do to hold his own opinion steadily against her. He would not call her a bitch, nor tell her how foolish she was. That would be another show of weakness, even if she did not recognize it.

She laughed, a sharp noise against his eardrums. The golden fought from rolling his eyes at her behavior. She had once seemed like a true leader to him, but now she was proving to be nothing more than an arrogant, hormonal girl. "Even if I viewed you as my superior, Kri, I would still question your words. There are many different voices to be heard within a group. You cannot expect to grow if you only listen to your own." He replied, still reserved but growing more cold to her spiteful remarks. "This herd is not yours, Kri. It belongs to all of it's members." With that, he turned his back to her, white rimmed eyes facing the border to the North. "I do not know why you have such anger, but it will be your ruin if you do not find a way to quell it. I will not return to the Throat until you have found that." That was all there was left to say. He did not let his frame fall to show the pain he felt, but kept it tall and determined. Heavy limbs pulled him away from the bitter Sultana and her hatred, and away from the long expanse of his home. Amber eyes stayed locked on the tree-line in the distance, unwilling to look back. There were goodbyes to be said, mainly to a certain copper mare who'd sworn her allegiance to him, but they would have to wait. Somewhere outside the borders, his mask could come down.