the Rift

I am lost, without you

Jaydan Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

[The song he's singing is David Guetta - Without You translated to his native tongue of Drow.]

Usstan h'ros nez, Usstan h'ros lgos
Usstan orn neitar nez nindol nibele
Xuileb dos, xuileb dos

Usstan tlun noamuth, Usstan tlun ist'a
Usstan orn neitar tlu l' toha
Xuileb dos, xuileb dos

Wind steals away the song as Jaydan turns on steady wings in a directionless pattern. Below, the red land of the Dragon's Throat twists and turns as the thermals wheel the blue gelding further and further away from the earth.

Usstan wo naut z'haan, Usstan wo naut tiu
Usstan orn neitar morfeth ol a
Xuileb dos, xuileb dos

Usstan h'ros v'dre, Usstan h'ros malar
Jal Usstan ssrig'luin zhah dos lu' Usstan
Xuileb dos, xuileb.... Dos!

Limbs kick over clouds and feathers whine in the atmosphere as the morose song lilts higher and higher while his heart sinks deeper and deeper. Nearly vertical now, Jaydan stretches out and climbs the heavens.

Usstan h'ros tanook nin, nindol h'ros tlu ditronw
Usstan h'ros plynn uss mzild sleepless isto
Xuileb dos, xuileb dos

Usstan wo naut soar, Usstan wo naut z'orr
Ka dos phuul naut ghil F'sarn paralyzed
Xuileb dos, xuileb dos

Cold begins to press like a tight kiss against the pale knight. Eyes flutter against the barrage of ice particles but still his wings flex and pull across the air. He climbs ever higher - maybe up here he will break a threshold and cross between the mortal planes to find the evergreen pasture where Luin roams now. Just, higher! Distraught, his song continues, the tone nearly a scream of desperation as hooves claw desperately to shear away the veil between sky and land, heaven and earth.

Usstan h'ros lor, F'sarn ji naut'kyn
Noamuth ussta xukuth, Usstan noamuth ussta shar
Xuileb dos XULIEB... DOS!

The muscles seize and the joints lock. The cold has stolen all the warmth and ice coats the tips of unpreened feathers, burning the skin beneath. Jaydan shrieks and his body begins to plummet. It is not the chaos of the fall, frame spinning while wings grapple for purchase and legs buck subconsciously - it is the failure to breech the walls that tears the mouth of the gelding into such a horrific chasm of grief. His song closes with tears caressing his cheeks, whipped away by the cold wind like a slap against his muzzle. Mane and tail flutter in a frenzy against his tummulting body, but he is still now.

As he falls he watches the door to heaven recede from his grasp. He can get there another way though.

His wings stop fighting. His legs grow still. His breaths become short and shallow as eyes dare to flutter shut. He would rather not witness his own death, it will be hard enough to feel it...

Cassiopeia Posts: 171
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hands :: 8 years old
Phantom

trust your heart if the
seas catch fire

What had become of her beautiful home?

The once vivacious viridian stalks at her hooves had begun to wither and perish, their chlorophyl sucked dry by the heightened heat of the sun. They orchestrated a distinct rustling chorus as the wind hied past their crisp contours and caused them collide into one another, swaying and rippling like a sea of amber waves. A sigh escaped the crevice of her lips. A crunching discord was emit from beneath her dished hooves with each step she claimed across the terrain. The destruction had transpired so quickly.

Luckily the sun was blotted out by an ominous mass of thick, menacing looking clouds, obscuring some of the onslaught of heat from reaching Helovia's inhabitants. This would be an ideal time to set off on a trip to the beach, she decided, as she hadn't yet seen it for herself despite the time she had spent here and called this land her home. She neatly unfolded her silvern wings, pothering them to prepare for flight and then initiated her body to apprehend a suitable amount of speed in order comfortably ascend into the sky.

She sailed over the canopies of the palm trees which oscillated with the tug of the wind, increasing her elevation graciously and in a gradual manner. Soon enough the thrashing tides came into her line of vision, and she continued onward at a rapid pace.

Her ears were then provoked to stand erect atop the pinnacle of her head as the sound of a melodic, masculine voice poured into them. She looked around, teal irises greedily taking in all of her surroundings in search of where the distant vocalism had originated. She needn't search for long. The wispy fibers of the foreboding argent bodies above her were torn asunder, making way for a pale figure merely inches forward from her position in the sky.

Startled, she briskly sought to avoid the swiftly falling body, angling her body so the fledged conformations of her wings created a bit of resistance. Eyes wide with surprisal, she couldn't act quite fast enough. Like they say, objects in motion tend to stay in motion, and she hadn't thought quite quick enough to obviate a collision.

Their bodies collided, the sickening sound of a bone snapping piercing through the air. A cry in pain crept up her throat. Pain shot through her wing, the appendage now rendered useless, at least for the moment. She desperately tried to regain her bearings, as two bodies now fell at a dangerously swift speed from the figurative grasp of the heavens.

What an unbearably strange coincidence it was.

Ázzuen the Ardent Posts: 94
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8
Whit
Being on guard didn’t always mean keeping an eye on what might be crossing the borders. Danger existed everywhere, and it was Azzuen’s task to ensure such things did not harm his herd. But the stallion was not expecting this.

The shriek of first another stallion and then a much more familiar tone rising in pain triggered an immediate response in this monochromatic steed. His flight diverted immediately, his broad wings easily gaining the speed required to reach them before they completed their f absorbed what had occurred in a second, and in the next second, he was falling, purposefully, diving beside them.

“Cass! Concentrate! Fly straight, fly with me, Cass!” He was distraught, but his rich tones rumbled forth regardless, as he awkwardly positioned himself beneath her and to her weakened side, his wings flapping just enough to keep his own flight path straight and hopefully support whatever weight he had set himself up to carry by putting himself in this position. She had a broken wing, but she could still flap, at least with her good wing. He would be there for when her other wing failed.

“Jaydan you fool! Snap out of it, help us!” He shouted, the anger and panic clear in his words that only just made sense.

“Onni!” He shouted again, summoning the healer they would undoubtedly need once the ground that was rushing up to meet them did indeed collide with them. He dared a glance at the sandy basin below them, and braced for what would be an uncomfortable and painful landing – but not deadly. They would have bruises, but they would be alive, at least.

Untangling himself from the pile of wings and legs, he winced at the tender spots he felt on himself, only fearing what he wound find when he looked over his beloved mate.

“Talk to me Cass, tell me you live…” He pleaded with her, thoughts of taking her pain away absent for now – he would gather his senses again soon, right now he needed the comfort of knowing she was alive, with him.

Onni the Illuminant Posts: 194
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.2hh :: 8 Buff: SWIFT
Lyhty :: Diamond Firetail Finch :: Sing Boom Boom!

onni</style>
      if i fall, will you catch me?</style>

Onni could hear the shouts, indistinct in the air above. The only clear call she heard was directed toward her, one that sent her wings to grapple in the air, lifting her body quickly from the spot where she was grounded. A fear crept into her gut - someone was in trouble. Her beloved friends had slipped away from her grasp before, and she thought painfully about Voltaic's broken body refusing to mend. Even with all of her power, Onni could not save her mentor from his end.
To think another's life might be lost despite her abilities was frankly too much for her to process.

A gentle heart guides her swiftly toward the chaotic scene. Azzuen stands beside crumpled bodies on the desert floor, sheepishly looking toward them with panic eating through his face. The tobiano mare leaps from the air, setting her front hooves like a javelin for the surface as her wings lock into a glide, bringing her swiftly down. Back hooves clack on the ground last, but the sound reverberates as she makes her way toward the trio, skidding to a halt and kicking rocks out away from them as she slows.

Clear blue eyes scour the bodies on the ground, not caring for Azzuen currently who was standing. Amazingly, breath still pulled through the lungs of both, though Onni was uncertain still how close they were to stopping forever. Much to her own horror, the pale faced mare recognizes the blue and gray coloring of Jaydan, the standoffish gelding who she had first met so long ago in Isilme. Azzuen, meanwhile, was obviously more distraught about Cassiopeia's crumpled body - the body of his lover.

Closing her eyes and raising her white face to the sun above, Onni calls forth the light of healing. The mare's body begins to glow as the rays of sunlight wrap around her body, her soft voice calling toward the God that lended her strength. "God of the Sun, hear my call. Allow me to heal my friends broken and wounded."
""

image by redbeansandrice @ flickr.com</style>

Jaydan Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

[Hrm, I was imagining this going a bit differently I guess :x I didn't want Jaydan to be injured at all, he was basically going to 'snap out of it' as soon as someone yelled and/or touched him. Cass's wing breaking is fine, that's Phantom's choice ^^ but I still picture them free falling through the air, not splattered on the ground, as again I didn't want Jaydan hurt in this thread and falling from the distance(s) I imagined him/her at, crashing onto the ground would basically be fatal?]

The wind is like a warm cocoon around the gray-blue body that falls. It shuts reality out of his ears and entices his eyes to stay closed. It is gentle and kind against his flesh, like warm breath rather than whipping needles.

He has the gall to smile.

As his lips quirk up so his eyes flutter open briefly, smudged as they are with tears, he wants to gaze up at heaven's doors one last time. The necklace around his horn is lifted high by the wind of the fall. A necklace she gave him. The metal material glints in the high sun, angling just right that the dazzling light blinds the blue gaze of the foolish, broken stallion.

He winces at first, staring mostly through the bend of eyelashes and sorrow's nectar, but he sees her nonetheless. He sees her.

The world surely stops, it must, because that's exactly how it feels. No longer is he falling, but rather he's suspended, weightless and free and happy. Luin, he whispers, nostrils flaring as he jerks his muzzle up in a vain attempt to reach her. Lips part in a silent cry of longing, fore legs driving to climb up, wings threatening to break the pull of the wind, though he cannot, he's still suspended - immobile really, now that he thinks about it, not free.

Her face, how lovely and detailed her face as Luin stares down at him from the scattered clouds within the sky's ocean. There's a deep sadness in her delicate eyes and instantly Jaydan feels a lance of pain enter his roiling gut. He knows her, that girl, far too well to mistake that look for one of grief at his living. She grieves his dying.

She is ashamed.

Not like this, not like this his mind reels, eyelashes fluttering and she is gone. I cannot meet her like this...

The world returns, too fast it seems. The still heart of the gelding is suddenly revived and beating at twice the speed to make up for lost time. It presses tightly against his chest and her whispers her name like a dear prayer one last time as the last edges of tears float from his gaze and disperse in the wicked winds. "...Luin..."

This is all but a moment. It starts from the point of his necklace blinding him and ends just as his withers crash into the strong yet fragile wings of another pegasus. He hears the sound only barely above the whine of the sky as he plummets. The all too familiar noise of breaking bone and snapping tendon. At once the blue jay is pn alert, his supple body tensing, striving to save himself and now this unknown body he feels tangling up beneath him. His hind limbs catch on her legs. He feels her mane whipping against his back, his neck, his wing joints. She cries out, agonized, and his heart constricts guilt.

He caused that. He caused this.
It wasn't supposed to be like this! He just needed to see her again. He needed to be with her again.

And he did, and she refused him with a silent, sad shake of her head.

And now, now he is falling and the one beneath him is screaming and the world is blurring. Gasping, though his lungs struggle to get the air that whirls around him so quickly, Jaydan begins to tilt to the left. His neck strains, muscles flexing beneath the gray hide, eyes jerking to glance at the poor mare caught in the turmoil of his heart and his folly. His whispers an apology to her, unheard among all of the other noise of dying.

Wings unfurl haphazardly. Jaydan gained a lot of speed in his free-dive, but the ground is far yet and he can angle them just right that the joints slide out with minimal resistance. Eventually his feathers push back, body streamlined against the invisible currents as he struggles to right himself. This would have been a conondrum enough, but now there's a shrieking, injured mare beneath him and he cannot trust her to be as skilled or as capable in her current state.

Panic sets in like a warm fire eating away the back of Jaydan's mind. He drowns it with his rigid determination. With strength lending his muscles to shake the gelding reaching down at grabs at her mane and her nape, trying to pull her the right way with him. His wings, gliding over the air still, wouldn't be able to support both their weights and just her proximity would keep him from beating them fully like this.

"Luin help us!" he calls through gritted teeth, eyes pinching shut briefly, recalling that ethereal face. It feels like little more than a dream trying to flee his memory, but he pulls and tugs on his conscious, bidding her to stay and guide him.

He can almost feel her hands brushing his crest, her calves digging gently against his ribs while her thighs brush his wings. A sob threatens to choke his throat but he swallows tightly. Blinking, the sensation is gone and Azzuen has come, shouting against the wind that makes it sound like whispers. Together, they can right her and slow the descent.

Ground eventually meets them in a hard way. Hooves kick up dust and feathers slap loose rocks into movement as they land like a tornado of bodies. Cassiopeia surely takes the landing the hardest.

Jaydan staggers to the side, his momentum tossing him away from her. He just barely stays on his hooves, wings cupping the wind for balance as he wavers for a moment like a wobbly colt. Though blood does not graze him in any way, the shock of meeting the ground in such a stiff and quick manner leaves his joints feeling rattled and his muscles tightening. He will be sore for several days he is sure, but such thoughts do not settle in his mind as he quickly turns back towards the mare and her mate. Hastily his hooves eat the space set between them.

Azzuen is nearly beside himself and guilt drains Jaydan's face of any other appearance. Cool, blue eyes take on the scene like a scared child. Hesitant to approach, lest he face the wrath of a stallion with his heart hanging on a balance, Jaydan lingers like a ghost behind them. He is still rattled himself, still aches himself. Perhaps he can't go through with suicide, but that doesn't ease his pain any.

The painted girl comes in a like a wind storm she bustles so quickly. He will reflect on this later with fondness at Onni's timing and aptitude for healing. For now though he remains impassive. Numbness creeps like a cold setting along his limbs - it's as though he's slept half in a lake during the rain. He can feel the prickling along his nerves, and yet there is no sensation at all; not the heat of the oppressive sun of the bite of the gritty wind in this flat desert. He can feel only her absence.

He stays only to ensure Azzuen does not feel the same way. Yet what could he do either way? Sorry didn't seem enough in this case.
She shouldn't have gotten involved, he thinks bitterly, suddenly angry at her for putting him in this position. He has enough to deal with already without her life handing on him too. He is the one who is hurt here!

Snorting, the quick surge of warm anger leaves the gelding, hollowing him once more. Distantly he watches them work, but he has the presence of mind at least to wish her health and murmur prayers beneath his breath.

Cassiopeia Posts: 171
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hands :: 8 years old
Phantom

trust your heart if the
seas catch fire

So this, this must be what helplessness feels like.

I am falling. I can feel the compelling tug of gravity plunging me remorselessly toward the hard earth below, her incontestable force causing me to tumult inexorably. Fear clutches my flailing body with a tight fist, and as I try to regain my poise, I find that I am physically incapable due to my impaired wing. It aches as the air collides viciously into the tender affliction - no, tender is not an accurate word. Rather, atrocious. It is painful, and I can feel the adrenaline pulse through my veins like ice water, feeding endorphins to the laceration in an attempt to deaden the receptiveness of the nerves around it.

It doesn't seem to be helping much. The whipping air is ruthless, and as the pale gelding grasps the curvature of my neck between his teeth, I hear his panicked, tempestuous voice trumpet through the air. I do not recognize the name he speaks, I only acknowledge his plea for help, and inwardly I am doing much the same. I do not want to die like this. I cannot leave my young daughter without a mother. And Azzuen, I can not bare to leave him just yet. I can only imagine the guilt he would feel despite the fault being none of his own.

It is as if my thoughts have manifested his physical presence, and for a moment I find myself tentative as to whether it is actually him in the flesh, or if was merely my uneasy mind that had brought him here beside me, this beautiful apparition. But he is real, I am sure of this now with utmost authority. His voice is intense and drenched in urgency as his dark form presses up against my own. He implores me to fly with him, and I heed his dictation to my best ability. It is a strange emotion that overcomes me then. The ground is impeding quickly, and my eyes squeeze shut, for I do not desire to know when the impact will come.

It isn't as painful as I had originally anticipated. I hit with profound force, and yet my body is almost numb. There is still pain that shoots through my anatomy, and I find that I am nearly incapable of moving. So I do not. I lay still until that familiar, solacing voice kindly tickles my ears. I wearily lift my head to touch my muzzle against his own, my ears pulled back with pain and yet the oddest sense of pleasure that he has come to my rescue; that he is here with me. My nostrils flex as air flares from my lungs, the surge likely blowing into his as our maws make contact with each other.

There is a faint smile evinced upon my features as I look at him, though it is somewhat shrouded by distress and I am sure my emotions are clearly scripted in the depths of my topaz eyes. They are two melting pots of incertitude, repleted with semblances of fear and shock, yet contentedness; love as I peer into his eyes. My muscles begin to tremble, and finally I allow them to loosen, my head consequently descending to the cold, hard earth below. My cavernous chest heaves with air, and in reception the familiar stab of pain is received. I'm immediately made aware of the severity of the soreness in my cavernous chest and my lungs. Thereafter my breathing is shallow, though no more hastened than before.

Ázzuen the Ardent Posts: 94
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8
Whit
He was beside himself, his entire bodice quaking with fear of what he could lose. But she was alive, he could hear it, feel it, her heart still thrummed within her breast. He was devastated at the amount of damage her delicate body would have endured, such a fall was not likely to be survived, but she did have the two Pegasus males buffeting her fall. Absently Azzuen looked to the gelding, a fleeting lance, panic trying to blind his usually clear and sound mind, but he fought it. The fog of confusion would be pushed back, he had to focus now. He shook his crown, and felt as if his brain was rattling about in there, so crumbled was his resolve.

He snorted, and with the expulsion of air, attempted to dispel the wayward thoughts of distraction as well. If this were any other member, aside from his daughter, he would be much cooler, and in control. He had to control himself now – for her. He saw her responding to him, leaning his crown in close to her, he held her touch and tried some more to appear as nothing more than a pillar of strength to her. He could see the love, the devotion in her eyes, the will to live – but it was obscured, and he could only imagine the all-consuming pain she must be in. He could fix that, he realised with a start, and swiftly he gathered his senses and allowed his magic to flow through her, to nullify all the nerves that would feel pain, so that instead she would only feel a pressure where the wounds were, her senses still able to identify the damage wrought but not feel the sharp, stabbing pain that would tear her to pieces. Yes, that much, he could do.

Onni arrived, and without hesitation called upon the God of these boiling lands to summon forth the powers of healing. Azzuen dutifully stepped back now, wings folded against his sweaty sides, his breathing still quickened, but slowing, and deeper. No heed was paid to the slight aches he might be feeling, no attention given to the fact that his knee was swelling up, nor that his rump ached with the old memories of a tree slashing across it; no, these things needn’t take up the time and effort of Onni, the natural process of healing would restore them to rights.

Once again, rough glance was thrown at Jaydan, possibly a bit sharper than the first, blurred one, this one containing an accusing question, edged with a bristle of protectiveness. What was the gelding doing anyway? Falling from the sky with little control was not a training exercise he knew, certainly diving or twisting one’s body in a controlled manner was familiar to him, but to give up, and allow the rising ground to pound one’s body into pulp? He was not coherent enough to join the dots together – his own mother had committed the very sin Jaydan had tried to do when she lost her mate, only she chose a different method.

Given time, he maybe would see things differently. For now, the blame was upon the blue one.