the Rift

Lover of the Light [Torasin/Questing]

Myrddin Posts: 115
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 :: Old
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

The Arch, was cold and desolate, regardless of the warmth and foliage that BirdSong had returned to Helovia. Myrddin would be glad once his quest had been completed, and he could venture out into warmer areas again. Because of his blindness however, he was confined to the Aurora Basin, and the lands surrounding it: the Steppe, and the Arch. Were it not for the pull of innate knowledge that the new eyes the Goddess of the Moon had promised him, he would simply stay in the Hot Springs of the Basin. But this quest would not fulfill itself, and surely he would not find the three he needed to satisfy the Goddess's demands in the Basin.

Myrddin had created a relatively accurate portrayal of the Basin and its surrounding areas; still, he stumbled every now and then, adding new cuts and scrapes to his already marred legs and chest. His coat was no longer dingy and grey as it had been before he moved to the Basin - the Hot water of the Springs soothed not only his muscles, but also rejuvenated the look of his coat. His long legs carried his ancient body over the frigid wasteland of rock and ice easily, to the line where his mental image of the terrain became fuzzy and distorted. Patiently, Myrddin would wait. He had come here before, stood for hours, and returned home. Would today bring the same empty net, that yesterday had? Only time would tell.

Myrddin's large moose-like ears remained alert - swivelling like two small radar dishes trying to pick up the slightest sound. There was no wind today, so he was certain he would be able to hear the echo's of footfalls even from a great distance. As his ears listening carefully, his mind wandered to ponder the philosophical implications of the new vision that he was question to receive. What would it be like to see the life-force within all things? To see the heart beat of creation? He would have to learn this skill all on his own, for only the God's had witnessed what he soon would be able to, and Myr was sure the Goddess would not have the time to teach him, like some young whelp.

Torasin Posts: 132
Deceased
Stallion :: Equine :: 16.1 :: 8
imi

Torasin and Kiba

Bare East and turn North. Keep walking until the arch of glittering ice appears and you'll find yourself standing before a mass of deep white snow. Torasin vowed not to go any further and this was the closest he could get to his lost friends; Mirage, Akaith and Solstice. Kiba peered round pale mane, eyes looking at the landscape before them and lowly trilling in longing to see the golden form of the Queen's bonded. He would not go into the Basin, the painted boy didn't even know where the entrance was to the land of racist unicorns, instead he lingered in the comfort that this was the closest to Mirage he had been in a while.

Snow crunched under light hooves as he rounded another bend and stopped in his tracks. Kiba trilling in sharp warning, Torasin didn't know how long his bonded knew the unicorn had been there, the silence between them still existed. Always haunting. Green pools regarded the pale stag, he was distinctly stockier than himself and there was a strange blankness to his eyes that told the tell tale story of a poor horse gone blind. Cautiously, Torasin moved forwards a little more, angling himself to stand in front of the boy with his expression a mixture of curiosity and sympathy. Kiba still sat upon his rump, peering with interest.

"Hello?" His questioning voice of polite tones spoke to the unicorn, he smelt of somewhere Torasin had never been before. It made him wonder if this one was apart of the same land Lace and Fajira travelled to. The paint worried about the grulla crafter who had gone with all the intent of bringing their lost members back, Tor just hoped he wouldn't get caught whilst trying to. He didn't find the idea of trying to get them back by himself very entertaining.

Wind played with his folds of mane and the gentle healer watched and waited in apprehension for the unicorn to speak.

Why does it feel so good but hurt so bad
My mind keeps saying, run as fast as you can
I say I'm done but then you pull me back
I swear you're giving me a heart attack

Art by Tamme

Deceased
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

Myrddin's meditative state of mind was broken by a..a dragon?, his mind ventured, trying to place what could have made the trilling sound, which interrupted the silence. It sounded far too powerful to have come from the throat of any bird that he knew of. Snorting, Myr turned his large head towards the sound, sightlessly gazing in the direction of Kiba and Torasin. But not alone.. he thought, her he heard the hooves of Torasin in the snow, and surmised that they were not caused by the dragon. Still, one would have thought that Myr would have been able to scent them, as Torasin had gathered the scent of the Basin, but this was not so.

Hello? the stallion had said, but it almost sounded like he was asking a question. Myr's ears flickered back for a moment; he was easily annoyed by those who were timid with their introductions. Then again, it did sound as though the fellow had an accent of some sort. Deciding today was not the day to get into a philosophical banter about appropriate conversational beginnings, Myr simply shook his ancient head. "Long days and pleasant nights, sai." He said, his voice once a deep baritone, now sounded raspy and distance. Still, he greeted this unknown other with as much formality as custom required. Torasin was not the only polite one in these parts.

Flicking his long white tail, he once again cursed the idiot colt and his dog who had blinded him. It had been years since Myrddin had seen a dragon, and now here he believed one was. What would the dragon look like, with his new eyes? What would anything look like, for that matter? His mind drifted as he considered whether or not he believed things would retain the shapes he had come to know, once Myrddin was able to view their life-forces.

Deceased
imi

Torasin and Kiba

Torasin watched and listened the alabaster steed with a sceptical face. There was something odd about the fellow, and it wasn't just the polite tones. Even if that was surprising; for a unicorn that was. Kiba edged a little closer along the topaz back of his bonded, a soft cooing emerging from scaly lips as he seemed to sense something more than Torasin did. The paint threw a glance at the dragon, saddened and irritated that he couldn't communicate with him, Kiba had noticed this stallion's blind eyes. Yet couldn't rely this essential piece of information to Torasin. Instead, the brown would have to count on his bonded's intellect to figure it out for himself. Dragon's were, in most cases, a more observant breed.

The Advocate dipped his head to the elderly boy with an elegant flourish, "indeed, Sir. Made even more pleasant when shared with a friend" he offered happily. He knew, since after meeting Anemone, that not all unicorns were unfriendly and racist. So it was that the painted gentleman treated the elder steed with respect and open friendliness, often throwing a critical medical eye over the chap. "The weather is harsh, however, in these parts. I'm not sure you ought to be out here alone, Sir."

Concern laced his voice, it was something Torasin couldn't help, to care for others even if he didn't know them. To put himself in harms way to inquire after another's health. Who knew, maybe he could help this steed to where he was headed. Or simply offer a little companionship through conversation. All in all, the golden boy certainly did not want to leave such an older horse out in the cold alone.

[ooc; sorry for holding you up, Aud! My replies should come quicker now.]

Art by Tamme

Deceased
Aud
 Myrddin</style>

Made even more pleasant when shared with a friend.

Well. Isn't this a pleasant fellow Myrddin thought as he listened to the polite tones of the stallion before him. It was incredibly refreshing to have someone comment on Myrddin's wellbeing, rather to prattle on about their own. As of late, nearly everyone he had met had some apparent sob story they felt compelled to get off their chest. Most of the complaints he heard were minor anyways, and he was constantly in awe of how few would cry over their small problems, without so much as a question regarding his blindness. Not that Myrddin needed to be looked after, but still, it was an interesting state of affairs that he found himself in.

"Bah." Myrddin grumbled dismissively, tossing his aged head at Torasin's mention of the cold. "It keeps my arthritis at bay" He muttered softly, slightly ashamed that such a disease lived in his bones. But he and the arthritic snake had a pact - he wouldn't push things too far and would seek the comfort of the cold and the Hot Springs as necessary, and the snake in turn wouldn't completely eat away at his mobility. So far, the truce had held for years, although each step was growing more and more uncomfortable for Myr, he still had the capacity to move.

"Tell me youngster, how is it that you are not drowning in your own self pity, like so many other around here?" Myrddin gently prodded, thinking of the Goddess of the Moon's demands of him. Was this fellow truly joyful? Myrddin wasn't even so sure what that would entail, but if nothing else, he was eager to hear what allowed this fellow to consider complete strangers, before himself. Whatever skill it was, Myr would have to bring it back to the Basin with him, and begin their herd's re-education with his Students.

[OOC:If Torasin could tell Myr why he's so genuinely happy, that'd be great :3]

Deceased
imi

Torasin and Kiba

"If you say so, Sir" Torasin couldn't help but smile of the elderly gentleman's gruff dismissal of the paint's weather observation. Though it didn't quite satisfy the gilded one, but he said nothing, and instead hovered near the old grey with a healer's concern. Kiba, curiosity quenched, had now descended to the cold ground and had begun clawing holes into the snow, hoping to unearth some sleeping prey for an afternoon snack. There was a pause in the conversation and for a moment only the cool air was between Torasin and the alabaster steed, then the unicorn spoke. This time surprising Torasin with a question concerning self pity, and why he wasn't drowned in it. The paint considered the question for a few seconds, puzzling over how he was going to explain his carefree happiness. It was a hard things indeed, it was almost like explaining his existence. Hoping he had found the right words to explain himself, the polite voice spoke again.

"I have no right to do so, Sir. I've had my own share of bad times, I have loved two mares and both have died. I have loved another and have not had it returned. However, I am blessed with two sons, a bond with the greatest creature I have ever laid eyes on, and friends who are always there for me in the best and worst of times. They make me happy. I find my own happiness too. In acts of kindness and healing the sick. I strive for selflessness, Sir."

Torasin could feel his emotion freely lacing his voice, a genuine smile sat on grey lips. The lines that formed a marking on his thigh had never held so much importance before, it summed him up. Happiness. It was what he was and what he wanted to be. Some would never understand, others could would sing with joy alongside him.

With a jolt, the paint returned to his upright, attentive position, an amulet of yellow hues jangling around his neck. "Forgive me, Sir! It was rude of me not to introduce myself. I am Torasin and the brown rascal is Kiba." He quickly remedied his mistake in formalities, Kiba offered a bubbly trill in hello.

Art by Tamme

Deceased
Aud

Myrddin

Myrddin listened intently as Torasin spoke; his head bobbing rhythmically to the beat of the paints' woud-be soliloquy. 2 loved, dead. 1, rejected. 2 sons...2 friends and a companion. Myrddin thought, seeing the information objectively, in his mind. In truth, Torasin really didn't appear to have that much to be grateful for. Oh of course there are those who would be grateful for even the smallest of treasures, but realistically, 2 friends, and 2 offspring who Torasin probably believed necessarily owed him companionship, didn't add up to much. Still, he genuinely did seem quite agreeable. I find my own happiness too. In acts of kindness and healing the sick. I strive for selflessness, Sir.

Forgive me, Sir! It was rude of me not to introduce myself. I am Torasin and the brown rascal is Kiba. Kiba…must be the companion of whom he spoke. Myrddin had scented a dragon on the winds, before Torasin made himself known. Myrddin now correctly assumed that Kiba, Torasin's companion, and the dragon, must all refer to the same creature. How truly wonderful - Myrddin had not seen a dragon in eons, and now that he was face to face with one again, it was invisible to him. He listened to the creature trill, and offered a chuckle in return. He always did have a soft spot for dragons, although at his age, raising one would surely be out of the question.

"No harm done, youngling. I am Myrddin, or Myr, should that do'ya. " He grunted, welcomingly, in his archaic yet formal way of speaking. As Torasin hadn't' offered a rank in his introduction, Myr failed to offer his, either. Had Myr been a little more versed in the bondings of Helovia, he might have picked up on the fact that Torasin was an equine, or at least a hybrid, if he had a dragon companion. However, given his allegiance to the Basin, it was probably for the best that certain things went unsaid.

"Well Sai Torasin, I would ask you to bear the chill in the air just a moment longer, if it please'ya. I am blind, as you must have noticed, but!" Myr said slightly sternly, fearing that the paint might interrupt and offer sympathy, rather than information. "But fear not, for the Goddess of the Moon has softened to my plight, and offered her assistance. However, in order to fulfill her quest, I would ask you, if you could, to tell me how it is you came to possess such a kind constitution? Do you believe it was innately born within you? Is it a conscious choice?"

Myrddin understood that perhaps this might be asking a lot of the fellow, but surely out of the three he was supposed to meet, the joyful one ought to be the easiest? One would think?

If it all goes crashing into the sea,
If it's just you and me, trying to find a light,
Like ships in the night.

Deceased
imi

Torasin and Kiba

Torasin relaxed his posture in relief as the old coot didn't seem to of taken offence. Such a strange race were unicorns, some could be insulted easily and others were incredibly lenient. He figured the alabaster steed fit the latter due to his age, there was wisdom in those words. Myr's strange accent carried on as he spoke again, this time highlighting his blindness and an understanding dawned in the eyes of the young healer. Gaze shifting to the stud's milky pools, it was the first time Torasin was witnessing a horse who was blind. So he stored the symptoms he saw here in his mind for later. If another of similar ailments should cross his path, the painted gentleman would know what it was. He was about to offer his own healing magic until Myr put his fears to rest, the Goddess was on his side it seemed. No need for Torasin to get involved, no matter how much he wanted to.

The question the unicorn asked of him now was an odd one and for a moment confused the golden steed. After all, Torasin was by no means as wise as the years on this chap, but he questioned himself anyway.

Had he always been happy?

A genuine smile curled onto his maw, there wasn't a moment when Torasin had felt the darkness. He had been sad over lost loves ones, angry over his friends hurting and lonely when without Kiba. Yet he had never lost his sense of identity, of who he was. "An emotion couldn't be 'born in you' if you ask me, Sir. More, life shapes what emotions you feel and those around you effect who you become. I would say it was a concious choice that I no longer think about, Sir Myr. Life can be wonderful if you decide to look at it in the right light. I wonder if that will become apparent to you when your sight returns."

His beaming voice trailed off then, for so long he had hidden his sadness behind a wall of happiness. Yet, until now, he hadn't really realized that his wall had turned into a sword and had been slicing away at his memories, turning them into old aches. Maybe he was getting wiser, in his own way, like darkness consumed the lonely. Light consumed the happy.

Art by Tamme

Deceased
Aud

Myrddin

Myr listened intently to Torasin as he spoke, feeling as though the stallion was saying something contradictory. If one's emotions are a function of the situations and people they find themselves surrounded by, then wouldn't any sort of 'conscious effort' be just as equally shaped by those around? That is, Torasin made it seem as though he would have made this same conscious effort to be positive, regardless of the situations he finds himself in. But if that's the case, then it would seem that we aren't defined by our situations and interactions.

Perplexed, Myr nodded slowly as Torasin finished. Life can be wonderful? The white stag mused. Life was just...life. It had no inherent traits or complex emotions. It wasn't wonderful, or awful, or unfair, or anything. It just simply was. Was choosing to view it optimistically naive? Myrddin supposed that it made life somewhat easier, to do so? But an easier go of things, did not justify anything. Not to his ancient mind, anyways. Perhaps there was more to it than that, some underlying factor that he was not considering. Certainly Torasin would consider his joyful constitution a good thing? Leading to a good life? And, like Chernobyl, would think that worthy of persuit?

"You value this way of life then? Obviously you have made efforts to ingrain this behaviour into your very marrow... so much so that you say it is now unconscious within you....So, if I may understand you, you are saying that although life can shape who you are, perhaps causing some to become bitter and fragmented, that you have chosen to be as you are, with such dexterity and resilience, that it is now ingrained in you? Effectively becoming a part of who you are, rather than simply how you act?"

Like ships in the night.

Deceased
imi

Torasin and Kiba

The stag was polite and he listened very well. His comments afterwards sparked Torasin to think more, to make a conscious effort to understand himself and put into words why he was who he was. It was a surprisingly hard thing to contemplate one's own actions, it was easy to look and judge another but to look at yourself and decide why you did what you did was profoundly difficult. It was then Torasin smiled and with a thoughtful voice he off handedly spoke "very perceptive, I value this life because I would dishonour my fallen friends and lovers if I did not. My past put the decision before me, to live in misery or to find happiness around others."

He considered Myr's last questions. It made him think of Mirage and their similarities, their similar shields that protected their minds from the past. Protected them from those around. Her's covered in shadow and mystery, his own hidden by ignorant happiness and a selfless nature. A shield that had defeated his bitter memories and reduced them to dull aches. This shield was helped by others, the love of his sons, a herd to care for, the love he held for Mirage and those he fought with side by side. Combining both maybe his happiness had become apart of him, out of need to protect. His mind more concerned with the future than what happened before. With that thought in mind, carefully, the paint replied.

"Who I am? You may well be correct in your observation, Sir. I know others may not agree with my choices and I'm a little strange in my disposition to the extent I'm often seen as weak, but I suppose... I just got tired of crying."

He said, a slight grit entering his voice. In all certainty he knew he wasn't weak, he had something to fight for. Something to drive him into the future and hold his hooves steady of the ground. Torasin didn't need bitterness, pain or revenge to make himself stronger. The need to protect and care was just as great.

Art by Tamme

Deceased
Aud

Myrddin

At Torasin's final admonishment, Myr heartily laughed out loud. He sounded genuinely pleased and amused; and indeed he was. I just got tired of crying. Wonderful. What a wonderful way of phrasing it. It was like the way that Valentine had told Myrddin that he had become overwhelmed by love. Not often, but surprisingly-so, the creatures of Helovia shocked the philosopher with their wit and insight. They came so close to speaking the truth, that it was almost as though some compulsion came over them, leading them to where they needed to be. Hearing Torasin's final words on the matter, made Myrddin think that perhaps something similar had happened to Torasin long ago, when he decided the tears must end. A calming perhaps, a sense of knowing, that it was time for something else.

Nodding his weary head, Myrddin smiled, wishing to see the look upon Torasin's features just then. "Very wise, m'boy. Very wise indeed." Did he understand Torasin? Yes, he thought he did. Better than he knows himself? In all actuality, likely not, for the painted stallion seemed to have the most comprehensive grip on the makings of who he was, than any other Myrddin had met. To be so true to himself, required a knowledge that Myrddin was quite sure would satisfy the Goddess of the Moon. "You have done me a great service on this day, young-one. For that, I am quite grateful. I would seek you out again, when my vision is restored, to look you in the eyes and offer my proper thanks. From where did you say you came, Sir Torasin?"

Like ships in the night.