the Rift

A Whole New World

Farai Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

The striped filly's tiny maw opened in a quiet yawn. She batted her eyes, blinking away the last bits of sleep from her bright blue pools. Her lean legs still rested, folded beneath her, Zikar-Sin sleeping silently beside her. She tucked her head between them, trying to shield her eyes from the soft rays of light as they crept into the mouth of the cave. She gave a small snort, aggravated that she could not return to sleep. She was cozy and warm, but soon her mind was alight with ideas and excitement of exploration.

She stood, stretching her lanky pillars. The small cave they had decided to find refuge in for the night was pressed into the cliff wall, only a small strip of rock allowing passage to it. It was nice shelter, but she hoped the rest of this region wasn't nearly as bland."Sinny?" she quietly hissed, "Sinny, are you awake?" Looking at Sin, she shrugged, deciding to let him sleep for a while longer. "Lazy bones," She mumbled to herself, and left the cave to wander outside a bit before he woke.

Stepping out into the sunlight, she winced a bit, eyes getting used to the glare. She looked about her. The basin was surrounded by mountains that captivated Farai with their sheer size. And the air here smelled wonderful, the crispness of the cool breeze mixing with the new smells she couldn't recognize. A smile grew across her black lips, and she began her awkward gallop down the cliff side. She had yet to formally meet anyone, other than her brief appearance at the meeting. Perhaps she would run into another foal, or someone who wanted to join her in a game.

Playing in the new sprigs of grass that began to peek through the ground she noticed two small squirrels playing. Laughing, she bounded towards them, simply wanting to play. She came to a soft stop as they scurried away, a scowl blooming on her face as she tried to figure out why they had fled.

WC | 341
OOC | Here she is! I'd love for Farai to meet some members of the Plague. She's very impressionable too, so she's a nice clean slate.
Walk Walk Walk
"Talk Talk Talk"
Think Think Think

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil

You can sleep with a gun but
When you gonna wake up and fight?

Innocence and youth go hand-in-hand, they say, but she has never believed it. Perhaps it is because her youth, her innocence, was marred by the maniacal tyranny of her father, stolen by his preaching of superiority. She spent her youth striving to be everything that he wanted her to be: an excellent fighter, a haughty princess, a superior figure, someone that he could hand down his high-class ideals to. She was of a plain figure, a disappointment to him, to be sure. Her siblings shared his mark in the form of blood-red manes, markings, and the like. She had never had that connection, and so she had been forced to gain his affections - attention? - in more creative ways than to simply look the part. His attention, she garnered, gaining at least approval of her hatred, if not her person; but she had never gained his love.

Was that where her problems had started? So early in her youth? Perhaps. And had she passed the feeling on to her own child? Absolutely. Why else would Sno have become the rather spoiled, bratty princess who believed that the world revolved around her? Her word was law (although perhaps only her slave acknowledged it), and she was allowed to do as she damn well pleased. She was so like her father in looks - for this, the shadow-mare had always been secretly grateful - but her personality was a creation of her mother's. She was probably just a bad parent, in retrospect, but then, why should she have had a child, anyway? To wrap the FrostHeart around her little finger, to ensure his adoration for her continued? And then she had run...

The jackal had returned from her impromptu visit to the Throat, and was now taking stock of the changes that had been made in her absence. She was proud of her General and the Time Mender for their leadership, prouder still that she could call them hers. They had done well, and she appreciated their efforts, though perhaps not in so many words. Her brethren were safe, thought considerably less secretive than she would have liked. But what was she to do? The smell of unicorns would have caught someone's attention sooner or later, so what did it matter if the other herds learned of their existence?

A noise caught her attention; right lobe flicked, pinpointing the source. Pistons adjusted accordingly, carrying her forth between a few trees and into a meadow. Before her, an oddly-marked filly was darting around, scaring the inhabitants of the Basin that were not quite used to the presence of unicorns yet. The shadow-mare watched silently, her expression unreadable. She would probably just corrupt the youngling if she approached, steal away her childhood as her own had been stolen... but she was not her father, nor was he here, so she trotted into the clearing, intent on introducing herself. Besides, the more that liked her, foal or grown, the better lead she would be, right? "Hello, little dove." Her vocals, though a bit too sweet, were gentle, the flicka's light-hearted escapades striking a chord in her memory. "My name is Lady Psyche, the leader of Aurora Basin. What is your name?"

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Psyche

Unregistered

The fragile song of a bird caught Farai's attention, and the filly bounced towards it's origin. There, before her, rested a gnarled excuse for a bush, partially cloaked in dying foliage. A smile bloomed on her face and she reared, crashing into the bush and startling a sparrow into flight. Laughing she dove through the remainder of the bush, racing the bird's shadow as it flew across the ground. But shortly after it disappeared into the mountains, and Fara slid to a stop, once again scowling at her friend's departure. Normally she would have continued on, but her recent adventure of wandering too far from home had almost killed her.

Another sound caught her attention, and she spun on dainty silver heels, facing a mare dark as night as she emerged from the shadows. The black mare wore a horn upon her brow, and held herself high with pride. White ears flicked forwards first in curiosity, then they snapped back in worry. She took a step backwards, wanting to flee, wanting to fly and find Sin, but something held her rooted to her spot.

Hello, little dove. The shadow mare spoke, her voice sweet and rich as honey. A smarter horse, one keen on the ways of the world, would have noticed that the words were almost too sweet, too alluring, like the eyes of a cobra before it strikes. The words drew her in, and the fear began to disappear from the filly's mind. My name is Lady Psyche, the leader of Aurora Basin. What is your name?

"Leader?" Farai spewed, excitement spilling over into her words. "Like, a Queen?" Blue pools shone vividly, in awe, that a queen would speak to little Farai. "I'm Farai. Mother told me to never speak with strangers, and Sinny told me that was smart. But since you told me who you are, I guess you aren't a stranger anymore. Right?" Farai took a small step forward. Young and alive, the questions slowly filled her skull, taking over. "Oh, those are pretty feathers in your mane. Where did you get those? They look pretty in your mane like that. You're very pretty." The filly smiled, but refused to get too close. She yearned for her Sin. He could protect her, in case Psyche wasn't a kind leader. Where was he? She wished to call out to him, run back to their cave and drag him out. But for now she was on her own, and would have to wait to see what would come of her and the jackal.

WC | 426
Walk Walk Walk
"Talk Talk Talk"
Think Think Think

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

The filly's motions were comical, even to the Dark Empress of the Basin. Had she held Sno too close, controlled her too tightly, to have seen this stage of her development? Or had she simply missed it, preoccupied with other things? He her daughter been so carefree once? Had the jackal molded her into the creature she was today? She was immensely proud of her daughter, it was true; and so if it was she that had contributed to the ice princess's attitude, she would claim it proudly. Even at this age, Sno had an arrogance about her that spoke of her origins, a sureness that she would not be harmed. Perhaps it was because she had grown, briefly, amongst friends and family, all of whom would protect her; or perhaps it was because she had never truly lost her mother. In any case, the shadow-mare was surprised slightly by the little flicka's wariness.

She took a moment to collect her thoughts around the filly's words, to place the names that she had mentioned and align them with the faces that she knew. Sinny. That would be the scholar, a newcomer, and a strange one, but perhaps useful to her. To them. But that was a consideration for another time. "Very much like a queen, my dear, though I a more commonly referred to as an empress." She stepped forward a few steps, slowly, so as not to startle the youngling, lowering her cranium so that she was at eye level. "Your mother was very right about strangers, darling. There are many strangers that would harm you, but you are safe here. And I cannot be a stranger, when I am charged with your, and the rest of the herd's, protection." She offered a smile.

The foal was full of questions, and she inquired as to the Empress's trinkets, a question that allowed for the corruption of her young soul. Of course, she would tell the truth - with a twist. "Those strangers that I mentioned, that would do you harm? They are pegasi and equines, and they are inferior to the likes of us," she explained. "Sometimes, they forget their place, and they are very bad. They bring great harm to little ones like yourself. I protect against them, and these feathers are memories from my battles against their evil."

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Psyche

Unregistered

The shadow mare approached slowly, her eyes full of a coldness and cunning. But Farai didn't notice it. She didn't notice the gears turning in Psyche's mind, recalling her own daughter, considering how she may corrupt the young striped filly.

A small shudder overtook her heart as the empress told Farai of those who wished to harm her. Farai cowered a bit, but then came a promise of protection. A promise to harbor Farai, her darling Sinny, any creature who wandered upon these lands. "You'll protect me? How about my Sinny?" She dropped down her head, casting up her icy blues to catch the amber pools of the Empress. "I don't want to be hurt."

Then Psyche moved on, and the propaganda began dripping from her lips like poison, seeping into Farai's mind. The filly's thoughts danced to the winged mare who helped cure her injuries not long ago, when the fangs of a viper caught her heel. "Evil," Farai murmered, placing the words to an image of monsters that plagued her dreams every night. She was young, mailable, impressionable. "But, Psyche, why are we better than them? I don't understand." Taking a step forward, she was ready to listen to Psyche's lessons, prepared to learn all she could.

"Well, since I don't have a mom, and since moms are supposed to teach you things, would you be able to teach me what every mother should? I don't know a lot, and you seem very smart." A teacher, a mother, would never lie. And Farai's trust settled itself into the idea that Psyche could be her leader.

OOC:: Sorry for my absence, I got a new job and it ended up a bit more time consuming that I had expected XD I'm back now, though.
WC | 267
Walk Walk Walk
"Talk Talk Talk"
Think Think Think

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

The filly was falling for every word, and the Dark Empress was pleased with her work. Perhaps she had more mothering instinct than she had thought, to be able to gain the youngling's trust. But then again, perhaps the little striped one was just too trusting, something that Sno had never had a chance to be. "Neither you nor Sinny will be harmed," she promised, her voice a silken blanket wrapping around the flicka. "It is my job to protect you all, dearest, and I promise you that I take my job very seriously." She gazed calmly into the youngling's cool blue gaze, so open, so trusting, so innocent.

She had grown quite close to the filly now, and their conversation seemed all the more private for it. Like a mother and daughter. The shadow-mare found herself thrust into memory of she and Sno, though they had never had any such conversation. Sno had been born into racism. It was a part of her, never needing to be explained. So this question was new, and one that she was not entirely prepared for. But she quickly assimilated an answer. "Do you know of the gods, little dove?" she asked. "When they created the world, and those who resided in it, they made we unicorns into royalty. Equines, those without crowns, were always meant to serve our wishes. But they have lost their way," she added, adding a sad dip to her voice, as though she truly cared for the lost souls. "They will never find their place in the world unless we remind them."

Equines were easy to explain - the only difference between the higher race and the lower was the lack of a horn. Pegasi, however, were different, their mutilated bodies having no explanation available. "As for the pegasi... one of the gods played a joke once, creating a mutant equine with the wings of a bird. They did not expect such a mutant to live, much less to have children of its own, but it did. They are unnatural, you see, nor do they have a place in our world. They belong elsewhere, and the gods have left it to we unicorns, the true rulers of the land, to send them there." Little did the filly know, she was speaking of the afterlife - she would easily send them there with no qualms.

The Lady lowered her maw to gently touch the filly's, blowing a gentle breath into her nostrils, a greeting of affection, of sorts. The creation of a bond. "I would be honored to teach you, little one," Psyche told her solemnly, gracing the youngling with a smile. She would, of course, corrupt the creature, probably send her mind into the swirls of chaos that littered Sno's thoughts, probably break her beyond repair. But she would teach her, and that was what the little one had asked for. And perhaps she would even come to care for the striped flicka. She cared for Sno, after all, and was proud of her accomplishments. Farai would be a daughter to the Empress - but would that be a good thing?

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Psyche
[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.