the Rift

After the Storm [Open!]

Thayne Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

T H A Y N E
Let’s Walk Through the Fire Together, Disappear in the Golden Sands

It was the sound of the river that had caused him to enter this land, the sound having been his only companion since leaving Sliccic. Well, ‘leaving’ wasn’t technically the correct tern, but there was nothing he could do about it now. There was no point dwelling on what was out of reach, or on what had already happened. His journey from Sliccic had brought him to this land, dense with trees now that Spring had grasped the world. He had come across the river just outside of the border, and the sound became his only friend in his time of troubles.

Ever so slowly the Warlander moved through the trees, head lowered as eyed the woods around him. If he had not been injured in that blasted fight and nearing exhaustion, he would have moved through the forest with each step personifying dignity, yet his leg wound rendered him limping through the foliage like a crippled old nag. Already he was growing exhausted, despite pausing to catch up on rest a few hours prior… Hopefully his leg wasn’t growing infected, poisoning his body with bad blood. He had seen it happen once in his younger days.

The coal grey stallion paused in his travel, spring green eyes drifting down to his front left leg and appraising the damage that had been done there. That bastard’s hoof had been sharpened to a fine point, resulting in an elongated gash searing into the flesh of his forearm. It had scabbed over in some places, but the wound was still fresh, the muscle and flesh swollen and puckered in places where it was attempting, and failing, to heal. Even if it would heal, he didn’t know if there would be any permanent damage done. Thayne wasn’t what one would call medically-savvy, and so had only cleaned it to the best of his knowledge before getting the Hell out of Sliccic.

Thinking of his homeland caused a fury to rise in his breast, but the Warlander was quick to douse it. There’s no use, he would tell himself, albeit grudgingly, it isn’t your home any longer, and you can’t take it back.

Heaving out a breath through his nostrils and shaking his head, Thayne looked to his left, taking in the forest of the land he found himself in. To his right was the river, waters churning and carrying on through its every day course… That was what he planned to do; carry on. When he deemed that no threat was around, the stallion turned to completely face the river, and slowly he moved closer to it, favoring his leg as he lowered his head to drink. Almost greedily he sucked in the water, clearly tired from his long journey, and only when his thirst was sated did he lift his head again, though not to full height. Perhaps it would be alright if he rested here before continuing on his way, just for a little while…

Shuffling away from the river, Thayne slowly shifted and then lowered himself to the ground, careful not to jar his leg. He landed with a soft ‘oomph’, clearly ungracefully, but the Warlander couldn’t find it in himself to care, not when he was so fatigued. His ivory tail flicked to and fro before finally calming, lying lax against the ground. Taking in a deep breath, the mighty stallion lowered his head, muzzle nosing the ground and picking delicately at the fresh spring grass that grew around his crumpled form. It was sweet and refreshing on his tongue, the new shoots having just recently sprouted from the earth’s containment. As he chewed, Thayne’s piercing gaze kept watch on his surroundings, ever watchful of any who may attempt to harm an injured equine.

[Image: ThayneResized_zps139f09ab.jpg]

Tolio Posts: 110
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3hh :: 6 Years 8 Months Buff: NOVICE
Brit

Tolio had fled the Basin in distress. After Phaedra's cruel and cutting words his heart had been twisted and bleeding. Faelene's protection had been necessary, and he owed so much to her for stepping in before he crumbled. For once she was his protector, shielding his sweet heart from such terrible wounds. Even so Tolio found it hard to hate Phaedra. But he needed to get away. Either to think or to forget. So he'd fled to the Threshold, long legs extending to aid him in his headlong dash. Too delicate and thin to be meant for anything but speed. 

In his flight, eyes filled with confused tears that didn't touch his cheeks, he nearly crashed into a black stallion resting on the ground. With a startled cry he threw himself over him, a little to the left. Tolio slipped and went sprawling as his sudden leap led to a faulty landing. He remained frozen for a few moments, dazed, before bursting into a stream of surprised giggles. 

Bright smile was found on his face as he rolled over from his back to his side. Facing the stranger with an amused but apologetic expression. "I am so sorry! Did I hit you? Oh look at me I look like a fool!" Giggling even as he knew he did look rather ridiculous. 

White stocking clad hind legs pushed him up to sway dizzyingly. Gasping when his eyes focused and saw that the stallion was injured. "Oh Gods! Are you okay? Can I help you? Do you need a healer?" Babbling nervously as he lowered his white face to stare at the stallion's leg. "Oh dear...oh I can't bring you to the Basin...oh Mum would be so disappointed I knew I should have listened to her healing lessons!" He knew he was talking rather quickly and nervously but he'd gone to his bunny side. He could never bring an equine to a racist group, but he felt guilty even if he'd only caused a near collision. Kneeling down next to the larger male, giving him a little space. Usually the words 'personal space' didn't belong in his vocabulary but this man was injured. Soft mercury eyes observed the wound with concern. Suddenly realizing in his rambling he hadn't even said his name! "Oh! I'm Tolio. Sorry..." Smiling shyly, embarrassed by the fact he'd been so caught up and anxious. 

Avira Posts: N/A
Unregistered

A . v . i . r . A
pegasus | mare | 15.2hh | 8 years | unclaimed

At the time of her arrival, wings folded gently along her side hiding all the rest of her body, she had heard the unicorns words. Instantly she was upset that he could find an equine suitable for the Basin, the poor fellow would be eaten alive by all the racist mutts. Perhaps though, that could be his sick little game. Tolio could draw in the new comer and then as soon as he makes it past those borders to 'home'... he's turned a slave with blood and bones twisted without mercy. "You would bring an equine to the Basin? Are you a fool?" eyeing him accusingly, Avira shifted her statue to defending "Perhaps you forgot, it is equines only and any who do not bare a bone on their head are to be diminished." her throat lumpy and angry. Of course she could use her healing magic from the Earth God if it wasn't particularly set on quest mode at the moment, oh how she wished she could just receive her magic already.

The mustang began to move around from the tree's heading towards the ivory maned stallion. Gentle electric blue eyes settling kindly upon his wound, as she moved closer her mouth opened to speak less offended and more caring tones "Would you mind letting me take a look?" feathers ruffled upon her tail, "Or would you happen to be one of those big egotistical stallions that feel you don't need help because you're big and strong enough yourself?" laughing light heartedly. Trying desperately to lighten her previous unhappy mood. Her brows quirked with concern and those eyes of hers laced with pure hope and happiness. Velvet muzzle reaching down almost as if it was a hand to touch rugged scar upon Ever's forehead. Perhaps you've read the book, Evermore. Dark brown rippled with motions upon her lips. Avira intended to touch the wound, survey how distant or close the pain was. Would he flinch and attack or flinch and continue? Perhaps he moved away before she landed her soft touch.

She only hoped to help. Eyes gazing to find his as she quietly made her peaceful scene, perhaps a bit seductive today if you found yourself interested in such. Though her ears were solely rested on Tolio, flicked back and listening. A chestnut stallion who grimaced and whined like a lost child at the sign of a wound. It sure wasn't to kill him and what if Thayne happened to become distressed by Tolio's ways? Thayne could perhaps wound himself yet again in frantic motions to leave the chestnut unicorn. Staying calm was a reassurance and a good hope. Just like when she saved Farai's life. Oh the tiny filly from the Basin, it was too awful her untainted soul would be savagetaged by them in time. Her lips began to part and she whispered so only the Warlander could hear "I'm Avira." those warm tones so graceful and slow. A wonderful string of two words.

Unregistered

T H A Y N E

It seemed that the least of Thayne’s worries would be if someone wanted to harm him. When a form suddenly came bolting madly through the trees, the Warlander could only lay in a surprised stupor as it crested sloppily over him, before landing on the ground slightly to his left and toppling down upon the earth. Thayne was about to get to his feet and inquire if the newcomer was alright, when he was frozen into shock as the chestnut suddenly started rolling, and giggling. It was such an odd display that Thayne momentarily forgot about the pain in his leg, and unwittingly he chuckled softly. What an interesting creature this was… When the male finally faced him and spoke, for obviously the Unicorn was male, a small smile tugged at the stallion’s lips and he shook his head.

“No, you didn’t hit me… Although, I should probably ask if you’re alright. That spill looked quite painful.”

As the chestnut boy pushed himself up to his feet, Thayne took a moment to appreciate the rather handsome horn adorning his head, and his white-clad legs. They were charming markings. Suddenly, however, the stranger seemed to notice the wound that had plagued the Warlander, going from quite happy and bubbly to downright concerned and worried. Did he need a healer? Perhaps, but before he could answer the bubbly chestnut stallion, who named himself ‘Tolio’, they were graced by another equine, a Pegasus, it looked like. Her deep, dark colors were somewhat interesting to behold, as were her fine wings, but Thayne got the immediate distinction that these two were not fond of each other. Did they have history? He knew nothing of ‘the Basin’, or wherever it was that Tolio was trying to take him or what the Pegasus spoke of.

“Madam,” Thayne began formally, shifting slightly from where he still lay so he could look up at the mare that named herself ‘Avira’ with piercing, spring green eyes, “If both of you are offering aide, I don’t believe I’m in any position to decline either of you, nor am I a fool to turn away such generosity.” He paused, a small smirk morphing his previous gentle smile. “Nor am I one of those hot-headed, egotistical stallions that you speak of.”

Not wanting Tolio to think he was ignoring his presence, because Thayne certainly wasn’t, he turned his large head towards the younger stallion. All the while he remained still, so that Avira could thoroughly look over his wound. Hopefully she wouldn’t claim that it was infected, like he feared. Even when the mare’s gentle lips touched the wound, he merely twitched his leg in pain, but otherwise remained where he was. It truly looked as if Avira only wanted to help, and honestly he had no reason to believe that she would try to harm him in any way. After all, they had only just met moments before.

“Tolio… If you could perhaps tell me where I’ve wandered? I feel I’m a long ways from home, as my only guide was the river.” Not that he could return home, even if he wanted to… It seemed that his future, his ‘new start’, may begin here, in this strange foreign land.

[OOC: Sorry, guys, it may take me some time to get used to his character… XD]

Deceased
Brit

It was strange to be lying on his back in a sprawl, he hadn't done so since he was a colt with tall gangly legs. Either way, he managed to get a chuckle from the stallion he'd nearly crashed into, so at least he wasn't angry at Tolio. Flopping to look at him, listening to what he had to say. Crimson mane splayed over the grass, white streak only more obvious in the clash of colors. Grinning as he rolled back over. "Don't worry! I'm fine!" It was true, he was hardly even sore. He'd landed on his feet at first and then just rolled and crashed from there. But even in his worry he couldn't have missed the arrival of a pegasus. Backing away with his head bowed when she hissed at him. "I'm not trying to contradict you, miss, but I said that I couldn't bring him to the Basin. I swore my loyalty to Mauja, not to miss Psyche. Would I have been kind to an equine at all if I were racist? Please, I'm not looking for a fight, I would much rather be friends. I'm Tolio." Offering the blue accented woman a smile, hoping to bridge the gap that had been forcibly made when she had accused him of trying to bring Thayne to the Basin to suffer.

Tolio took a few steps back, trying to hide a sad sigh. Was this what he would have to deal with if he stayed with the Basin? Would he ever be able to explore the lands without being thought of as a racist simply by his scent? Shifting his hoof against the ground, scuffing the dirt and grass up as the other two conversed. Was it worth it, to stay for Faelene, when he would be reacted to with such fury and hatred? Nearly jumping out of his skin when Thayne spoke to him, surprised by the fact he still wanted Tolio around. Flushing pleasantly that he had a job, nearly bouncing where he stood. "Oh, of course! This is Helovia, a southern peninsula. You're in the Threshold right now, where newcomers travel to meet others or be taken in by a herd. The herds are the Dragon's Throat, south of here. The Foothills, to the North, the Edge to the North West, and uh...well...the Aurora Basin. Home of a group of racist Unicorns...but I swear, there are still people there who aren't part of the Plague! Like myself. Every herd accepts all species except the Basin. Oh! And the Grey, the mercenary group that helps any who need it. I've heard of them, but I've never actually met them, so I don't know much about them." Smiling sheepishly. He had no clue what herd Avira was in, as she didn't smell of any he knew of. Was she a part of the Grey then? Either way, Tolio was ecstatic to be of any help at all, and the sorrow he felt at Avira's biting words completely vanished in a rather childish manner. Tail flicking happily at his hocks and eyes brightened from their previously dark state of unhappiness. Turning nervously to Avira, head dropping a little to show he meant no harm. "Um, miss Avira? Will he be okay? Can I help in any way?" Preparing himself for the possibility she wouldn't believe him and would be harsh again.

Unregistered

A . v . i . r . A

"Perhaps then, I have wronged to have jumped down your throat." fiery eyes turned gentle as she smacked them to Tolio's face. Careful not to prod at his emotions anymore. It felt terrible to make him feel so low on the food chain, even though he was a member of the clan she wished to steer clear of. Though if it was for The Gray, she would fight them till her very last breath, or side by them till her very last breath. Thayne's voice was caring and passionate, sending a bubbly feeling burning through her chest. Scratching at the sides and trying so hard to fly free from its bond. "I can very well assist you on the search for a herds healer, I'm sure they would welcome you with open arms." smiling carefully. Watching as Tolio shyfully and shamefully move away.

Somewhere deep inside her she felt so awful and burdened. Even as her muzzle touched his skin, the feel of the wound was so great and empowering she almost had sympathy pains. The smell was awful, maybe it had yet to become infected, but there is this distinct smell to wounds. Like iron blood and disgusting guts. Her nares crinkled and she slowly pulled away, hoping not to add anymore pain to him. With Tolio explaining each land in detail her ears perked when he spoke of the Gray. "Then you've had the luck to meet one today, I'm Avira (as I've already mentioned), I'm studying under Tor in healing and I am also on a quest from the earth god to complete my magic." her gaze began to draw back to Thayne. Care and love present in her face. "If I had my magic now, I would take your pain away." that was an intimate little sentence but she hated others in pain. She could not bear to see someone hurt. It was a motherly instinct active in her soul that pushed her on.

Tolio spoke again, her audits were focused on him but her eyes never left Thayne's wound. The gash was deep but from what she could tell, infection had yet to take over. "He shall be fine as long as infection does not set in, we should really get him to a healer soon." eyes still focused intently on the growing scar. This would make for a nasty one. "Sir, if Unicorn over here would not mind, we can allow you to lean your weight on us as we journey to the nearest herd so you do not strain your misfortune." unicorn over here was in no way meant to offend him. She just had no name to put to his face. Avira smiled to Tolio, only to reassure him she was not bitching.

Tor Posts: 197
World's Edge Nurse
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 9
Adoptable
"And I am Tor." The pretty mare appeared silently, ghost-like, on her golden hooves, warm brown eyes watching the two stallions with careful reservation. Her coat was a cream and silver, with the stone nearly faded- surely she would be pure white by the end of Tallsun, if not the beginning. But for now, she retained her darker base coat. The draft moved on quiet feet, confident but not cocky, wary but not afraid.

Love was something that took ages. She had tried to rush into it, with Lace- and in a fit of drunkenness and wild dreams, with Phaedra, a mare, as well. By now, she had learned her lesson of that tender heart thumping feeling. So instead of letting he heart skip a beat at the sight of the handsome equine, she told it to thump steady and so it did, and her eyes remained not cold, but watchful. She didn't want to think of the whole dilemma with her love life and friendships and crap and relaxing- she wanted to become Tor again. The healer. Simple and peaceful. Close friends with Ophelia. Mentor to Avira. But Avira was getting her own magic, and Ophelia had become scarce.

"Apprentice, unicorn, sir." Those trademark brown eyes settled on the wound. It was no clean cut, as something from a horn may appear- more jagged and 'corroded' about the edges, blood clotting. Surprisingly deep, but not clean. What kind of weapon did that? The mare walked closer, nudging Avira gently with her muzzle. There was a flare of embarrassment somewhere deep inside as she remembered doing the same to Phaedra, after declaring her love for a mare instead of stallion.

She didn't wait for permission. She healed. There was a faint tingling as she harnessed the power, the scent of sunbaked earth and leaves intensifying. And he was healed.
WORDS OF COMPASSION ARE STRONGER THAN ANY ACT OF POWER.

Unregistered

T H A Y N E

Thayne listened as Tolio politely answered his question, as if he was excited to answer the inquiry. Taking in the information that the Unicorn revealed, he fell into a contemplative silence, pondering the new knowledge he had learned. So, they were in the land Helovia, where different herds resided in the land… It was strange, quite unlike Sliccic, but it wasn’t entirely unpleasant. The Dragon’s Throat, Foothills, and the Edge all sounded interesting to the stallion’s ears, but none of them caught his attention quite like this Basin that Tolio spoke of. It supposedly housed a group of racist Unicorns… How peculiar. It clicked in his mind then, however, that it was that very group who Avira thought Tolio was associated with.

“I see,” Thayne answered at last with a grateful smile, “It’s all so new and different from my home, I can’t imagine how big Helovia must be. Thank you for telling me, Tolio.” The Warlander felt something shift in the air the moment that Tolio turned his attention to Avira, inquiring if he could do anything to help. Idly the dappled-stallion wondered what the Pegasus would do in return… Yet the moment seemed to pass as whatever differences the two had seemed to slide, the tension disappearing as Avira spoke to Tolio in a much softer tone than she had after arriving.

Patiently he waited to hear the mare’s verdict, and then exhaled roughly when she spoke of infection. Of course, he would have that luck… Mentally he cursed the low bastard who had wounded him. Not wanting Avira to feel bad for not being able to heal him, Thayne smiled in a reassuring way. “Don’t feel bad, Miss Avira… It’s quite alright. I’m sure I’ll be fine, once we find a healer. I’m grateful enough for the hospitality you both have showed me. I did not mean to become a burden…” Of course, leaving would mean him getting to his feet, which would be quite a challenge in itself. Shifting once more, he made a move to stand, which perhaps wasn’t the best decision he had made. When he moved his leg and placed pressure upon it, the limb trembled violently and sent sharp pricks of pain through his nerves, and Thayne gave a hiss of pain under his breath before settling once more upon the ground. Accursed thing…

’And I am Tor.’

The sudden voice was so unexpected that Thayne’s head snapped to the side, ears perking forward to listen for any form of threat. His nostrils flared, inhaling the new scent that came from the figure that walked through the brush of the Threshold. The mare, for her voice was sweet and peaceful, was a draft, built quite similar like himself, but did not seem to intend to harm them. The way that she moved was lithe, as if she knew how to accurately use the cumbersome body she was born with… Thayne wondered briefly how she had learned to move with such divine grace, as he himself (with his bulking form) could never master the art of stealth.

“Madam,” he said in greeting, feeling somewhat foolish that he could not rise to greet her. Honestly, he felt horrible that he couldn’t have greeted Tolio or Avira in a standing fashion, as that was custom in Sliccic.

Spring green eyes watched as the mare drew closer, pressing her soft muzzle to Avira to gently push her aside. Tor had called the Pegasus ‘apprentice’, so surely they knew one another… It was on the end of that thought that the draft mare seemed to focus on his wound, calculating the depth and cause of such an atrocity. If she asked, he would tell her, even though the details of how he had received such a wound were shameful. Just then, the strangest feeling overcame him, a soft tingling sensation that began from the unsavory wound upon his forearm and spread out, encompassing the limb in a warm kind of embrace. It was strange, and curiously Thayne looked from his leg to the mare who called herself ‘Tor’, slightly tilting his head. So, was this what Avira meant when she spoke of not housing healing magic? It was remarkable…

When Thayne looked back to his leg, the wound had vanished, disappearing as simply as if it had never been there at all. Experimentally, the Warlander flexed the muscles in his leg, and to his surprise felt nothing. No pain, no pull of a half-healed muscles, nothing. And it was glorious. Slowly and steadily he pushed himself to his feet, taking a step back as not to crowd those who were gathered around him. There was no pain when he moved, and he was pleased to know that he could once more put his full weight upon the appendage. Turning his great head back to Tor, he smiled gratefully, and then gave a small dip of his head in a respective bow.

“I thank you for your kindness, Madam…” He said, and then turned his gaze to both Tolio and Avira, “And to you, Sir Tolio, and you as well, Miss Avira. I fear that I can’t repay you for the kindness you have shown me; a simple stranger. I’m in your debt.”

[OOC: I'm sorry if this post seemed to drag on for everyone else... I just felt like so much happened to Thayne in the last few posts that I needed to get it all summed up. XD]

Deceased
Brit

Weak, sweet smile appeared on Tolio's face as Avira apologized for judging him so harshly. How she knew of the organization within the Basin Tolio didn't know, and now felt sick when he realized that in his desire to defend himself he'd spoken of it around Thayne. And then he'd talked about it in detail! Well not really but hed still said its name at least once. How could he have been so foolish! Either way he hoped that the sudden interest in his wound would distract him, or Tolio would be stuck in a bad place. "You're welcome Thayne! Though I haven't traveled very much. I'm sure Avira can help you find a home much better than I. I'd probably get lost!" Laughing sheepishly, knowing it was true. He hadn't explored the lands very much. 

Avira spoke and Tolio latched onto the distraction wholeheartedly. He had to sway the topic away from the Plague, beating himself up for slipping his tongue like that. "That's great! I want to visit the Gods, but I wouldn't have a clue what to ask for. You're very brave, Avira." Smile turning genuinely bright. Talk of the Gods was much more important, and he found her rather amazing for having the guts to approach the Veins. Tolio knew he should do the same soon, but still wanted to decide on what would suit him best. 

Thayne's wound then took precedence. Avira had not yet received her magic and now they were stuck where they were. Thayne was very easy going about it, even if his pain  hurt Tolio. So consumed in this Tolio was unaware of the new woman's presence until she spoke. She moved with grace, and a seriousness Tolio instantly respected. It amused him that everyone had taken to calling him 'unicorn' beside Thayne. So this was the Tor that Avira had spoken of moments ago? That meant she was a healer. And in moments she literally worked her magic. 

Tolio was in awe, knowing he could never be a healer. Thayne seemed just as shocked to see his wound disappear, thanking all of them. Tolio shook his head pleasantly. "It's quite alright. I'm sorry for nearly bashing into you. But I think I'm not of much use now. I should probably leave you in the care of these capable ladies." Nodding his head respectfully to the females with a smile. He wouldn't leave until Thayne said his goodbyes, or simply ignored him. It was the right thing to do. He couldn't simply leave without knowing if he was really in good hands. 

Unregistered

A . v . i . r . A

Her presence was near, I could feel the clinging familiar feeling. Like chills down my spine. Tor was a great friend, one I trusted. As her voice met the air with such joyful tones I smiled, immediately turning my eyes backwards, cranium slightly tilted. When she bumped me I respectfully took my post behind her. Stepping away from Thayne, easily tuning out any and all, the rest of the voices as my patience was kept strictly to the healing process now. I did not look away as Thayne had done, no I studied and watched Tor's perfect posture as the deed was done. His wound left a scar. Perhaps a reminder of the past. Sometimes reminders were so hard to bear.

My thoughts were taken back to that one night. The night I was finally driven to the point of being so hurt I walked away from them all. Walked away from my mother who I should have never left behind. She needed me just as much as I needed her. Being different was hard and particularly on her. Age had took a toll on her and my birth much more. She grieved everyday for passing on her blue traits. Such a terrible thing to have to grieve over or to even fear. A color left us bruised, battered, mentally and physically scared. Because being different to them was such a disgrace, it required physical attention. It required outcasting someone from a community and still attacking them to the point they exile themselves. So they wouldn't have to do it themselves. I miss mother. Everyday I wonder of her being. I know she is gone though. I can no longer feel her warmth and life. That distant connection, the attachment I so longed for again was so long gone. It is all my fault they had murdered her.

"Goodbye." is all I happened to spurt out to Tolio, or was I speaking to mother? Either way it was directed his way. Careful tones graced the air as my uneasy head shattered. Eyes so blunt and dull, lifeless and hurt. I stayed steady there. Motionless as I watched the two before me. I really couldn't speak with all this emotion in my head. I need to clear this memory, forget and move on with my life. Its the fact that mother could possibly not be dead that drives me on to think she is now a magnet for torture and other horrible things.

Deceased
Brit
[[Tolio can be skipped as he would have left after Avira's goodbye.]]