the Rift

the lanterns won't go out at night
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

Ophelia had thought that her assurance that he existed in her mind, that she was dreaming of him, would be a comfort, but he seemed to crave isolation just as strongly as she did. Gently, she watched as he lowered his neck and subtly tossed his forelock over his eyes. She was shielded from the emotion they held, though she had a difficult time judging his emotion with the gold filter without his hiding. As he gathered himself and his thoughts, she waited patiently, standing perfectly still, relaxed despite the howling monsters that surrounded them. Her focus was on one, and one only. Perhaps the depth of her attention was strange, but Ophelia had little concept of what was normal in social settings.

A harsh bitter laugh echoed through the cave like a gunshot, and she started, neck lifted and nostrils flared. The laugh was louder than expected and harshly rang against her tender ear drums. When the black spirits began to rage and howl, throwing themselves against the thin membrane holding them back, she flattened her tulip ears against her skull. Grey lips curled back from pale teeth, and she lowered her neck in an aggressive warning to the monsters that threatened their safety. Fear was not an emotion that she could feel to any normal extent; the important, parasympathetic response to leap, jump and run was gone, replaced with more space to remember.

A crumbling noise like an earthquake hit her senses, and she grunted softly as a warm shoulder collided with hers, her hooves sliding as traction was lost. Surprised, she tilted her ears forward ever so slightly, brows furrowed. Had the stallion touched her? Curiously, she arched her neck and peered around his side to see that the floor of the cave where he had once been standing was now a void, a hole with no end. Ophelia frowned, but the conundrum of being able to touch a figment of her imagination seemed more important. It was an unexplained oddity, and she was ever a curious being.

When he spoke, she closed her eyes tightly, the slamming of fists against the white wall in her mind almost painful. Something about his words seemed so familiar that they made her heart beat harder in her chest, and she winced before cracking her strange eyes open again. No distinct picture roused to mind; she was lost. Perhaps the sensation that she should remember was important? A clue? The expression on her face became one of sorrow, and she frowned. Her gazed averted from his, and she tightened her jaw to keep the emotions that had lead her to the Steppe from coming back.

"I cannot remember anything," she murmured honestly, not having to hide in her dreams. "I did not even know that I had a sister," she snorted bitterly, inhaling sharply. "Ktulu allowed me to look through her mind, but I could not bear to see my entire history through her eyes. I awoke one day nothing more than a child, an empty mind, and... happy." Ophelia remembered walking along the stone path, feeling lighter and unencumbered, but the world was unforgiving; it had found her, made her even more miserable than she had been in the first place. "Well, that emotion did not last long, not when I realized who I had injured. I cannot even remember what I wanted from the Sun God," Ophelia laughed harshly.

"Even then, the God of the Earth had to tell me that his brother had been the one to put this... block in my mind." She paused, glancing up at him for only a few seconds before turning her eyes to her hooves. "I am sorry for... resting my recent troubles here. But, I am sorry, if I do not remember you," she said, looking up at him with true regret in her features. "You will not be forgotten anymore." Mourning depressed her spirits, laying heavily upon her shoulders. She sighed, the breath coming out thickly white; she was cold.

COME TO ME
we run away forever from this misery

tangled-stock | Salsola stock

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Messages In This Thread
the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 12-20-2012, 01:41 PM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 12-20-2012, 03:41 PM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 12-20-2012, 04:50 PM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 12-20-2012, 06:00 PM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 12-23-2012, 06:21 AM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 12-25-2012, 07:19 AM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 12-25-2012, 01:40 PM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 12-29-2012, 07:06 AM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Mauja - 01-01-2013, 12:29 PM
RE: the lanterns won't go out at night - by Ophelia - 01-01-2013, 03:21 PM