the Rift

[complete] Master; Show Me [Archibald]

Locket Posts: 74
Up For Adoption atk: 7 | def: 10 | dam: 3
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15.2hh :: 7 HP: 60.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Teppei :: Giant Panda :: Stormcall Adoptable
[Image: 2896539756_0a6f917f54_z.jpg?zz=1]

LOCKET

; there's nothing worth remembering anymore.

The stage was set. The sun burned high.

Wind whipped the wildly curled mane of Locket, his chestnut hide a beacon surrounded by the rugged green terrain of the Foothills. White ears curved forwards and a dark tail held proud in his statuesque stance. A sight for the eyes and the panda faced Locket raised his lips to the brisk breeze, letting out a faint call. It was high in pitch as the free air picked it up and carried it, hopefully finding the ears of Archibald the Dauntless. A master in the ways of the warrior and a mighty Chief at that. Locket wished to know his ways, to become stronger and gain a better understanding of the physical and mental art. To keep a keen hold on his emotions to judge the fight, it was this training that could help him in the future. All Locket wanted to do was protect this land. It was the first time he'd ever felt such an urge.

"I, 'ocket, am ready to 'earn" his distinct voice shouted. There were certain letters he struggled to pronounce, 'L' being one of them. It sounded more like an 'R', often calling himself Rocket instead. The stallion watched and waited, his eyes made more pronounced by his markings and a curved coal horn would now act as his blade. A small pocket of excitement brewing in his gut, it had been a long time since the charismatic fellow had fought a friendly spar. He was happy now, to be back training again, it made him feel stronger and more certain of himself.

It was this help, from his leader, that he needed most now.

[This is a teaching spar!!
2 Posts each + Closing Defence
800 Words max.
Weather: Blue sky and sunny. Ground is muddy.
Feel free to use companions/magic ^^]

Locket talk :: L = R

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time
Like walking into a dream, so unlike what you've seen
The sun was high, plastering the sky with joy. Birdsong had finally arrived and the earth rejoiced—birds called out wildly and other creatures frolicked in the new found warmth. Frostfall had been such a treacherous time for all of Helovia—even the Foothills, a herd land that was not used to harsh winter climates—and even the Dauntless found a great relief in the diminishing snow. Taking a deep breathe of the warm air, he pushed forward with Loretta trotting smoothly at his heels. Archibald was very pleased with his warriors that wished to spar with him. He was pleased firstly with Romani, an ambitious mare. She had much to learn, but he believed she would benefit the Foothills well. The Halflinger would do well. Archibald was also very happy when Locket, an eager pupil, was ready to learn more in the ways of battle. The stallion, speaking in such an odd way, showed interest and desire to excel and protect his herd. Something close to pride swelled in his chest when his warriors were thirsty for the knowledge that the Dauntless stored.

Walking easily towards where Locket had called him, Archibald looked down to Loretta. Their bond was silent, but still she knew his body language and cues when he did not want her to be a part of his battle. Loretta was used to not being used in battles, as Archibald does not let her fight often. Whether or not she was used to the feeling, she sometimes did feel useless, because not all of the fights Archibald had been in were for the same purpose as this. Archibald had fought against the white stallion with the tree growing out of his leg, and she had to watch and do nothing! The pain, from not being able to help her bonded, was agonizing, and she would often bark or snarl on the sidelines. This, however, she had familiarity with—she had sat out of the spar with the palamino mare, and watched as Archibald defeated her with ease, but this time she would not stand idly by. Not feeling his emotions and not hearing his thoughts during battle was too much, so she would hunt. Skillfully the red malamute trotted in the other direction, tail erect as she disappeared in the shadows of the thick trees to find a hunt. Nodding, to nothing more than himself, Archibald turned to face Locket. “Today will be a test—show me your skill and I will not hurt you, I expect you to do the same for me.” A slight smirk would have lit the handsome Chief’s face had it not been for his years of training to stay stoic. “After we have finished, I will evaluate your ability and give you feedback. Perhaps I will give you a task like I did Romani, she had to spar with others and report back to me. Be prepared for that, and willing. The Foothills does not need lazy warriors.” Archibald finished, and took another step forward.

Fluidly, his ears pinned back to his flesh and his neck arched, chin tucking slightly for protection. Without hesitation the Chief’s body surged forward in a thundering canter. As he closed the distance between himself and Locket his eyes narrowed and his head lurched straight out, jaws closing in an hoping to snap over the well-muscled shoulder of the Arabian. The muddy earth gave way under Archibald’s heavy hooves, sending chunks of grass and wet earth flying around him. Locket would have a quick reaction time—his Arabian blood aiding him in speed and agility. Archibald had raw strength on his side, but because of his battle buffs his speed was slightly heightened as well as his reaction time. He doubted, even with the experience and battle buffs, his speed was not equally matching Locket’s and never would be. His mass was far too great.

[WC: 650 | 1/2 | Archibald ran forward and attempted to bite Locket's shoulder. | Archibald will not be using magic or companion.

For a spar that is not intended to cause much harm, I always view it as the same as when my herd plays. They bite or lightly kick areas with lots of muscle(or fat xD) so that they don't cause too much harm. Most "friendly" spars are to see how a character thinks about their attack and building strategy rather than to actually attack and cause harm, and I will illustrate that in my next post.

Opening posts, for me, are often rather dry. However, that does not mean they always have to be--in the rubric there is a lot of points given out for description of the surroundings. First posts are also a time when your character would be noticing breed differences and how they would apply to the fight ahead, for their benefit or not. First posts can also establish a lot of emotion, depending on what the spar is about. You did an excellent job in establishing why Locket wanted to learn about battle and another good thing to build off of that is how he would be able to benefit the herd, going into more detail than "he can defend them" is good, and I think it helps you connect better with a war-type character. When I role played Archibald on Anarore, none of his family was present, so his only duty was to the herd, and I got to express how much defending them and battling for their favor benefited his growth as well as herd growth. They can also establish how companions(if you have them) feel about their character sparring. ]

[Image: architable.jpg]
FiagaiStock.deviantart.com | arctichorse.deviantart.com | by: Imi

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

LOCKET

It was hard to miss the imposing figure that was Archibald the Dauntless, his hairy body thick with muscle and it showed in his walk towards him. Locket had no memory to compare him to, to fight one with such a size was a first for the chestnut panda and he didn't quite know if he was excited or nervous. He watches Loretta drift away and he breathes out in relief; fighting a dog would have been a first too. The practise field was set and his superior's gaze landed on him, ears curved forwards to catch the clearly spoken words. Locket mirrored the draft's smirk with a short snort of his own, dipping his head to affirm he understood, a mass of dark curly mane sliding down his slender neck. Gaze focussed now, the newly appointed warrior needed to lay all his cards on the table in order to improve, his opponent was big but he was small. His movements would be faster and his dodges more agile. His problem would arise in Archibald's power.

Attentive eyes remained on Archibald, he allowed himself to feel a little admiration for a stallion of remarkable experience. A Chief of the Foothill's. Maybe, one day, Locket would be able to claim his own place as a leader of a herd, and he too will have young stallions coming to him for aid in fighting. His exploits would be etched into the land of Helovia and Locket would take his place as a great fighter. A wild dream for a wild panda faced boy.

Like thunder rumbling, down struck the hooves of his opponent and Locket's legs shifted into a prance around the spot he had stood with ears flickering. Delicate head tucked in and body tense, Archibald came with his neck stretching out towards his shoulder. Alabaster ears fell back and tail swished as he moved the with the momentum of his prancing gait and leant back onto his back legs. Sooty forelegs reaching for the sky as the bite of Archibald barely misses it's mark. Lightly grazing his orange shoulder on his ascent. Curls of mane flying like a banner, he reached the apex of his rear and already Locket knew his next action. Front hooves splattered back against the mud as he landed to the left side of Archibald, back hooves powered off the sluggish ground. Locket lurched himself forwards and angled to turn his body in on Archibald, teeth flashing out in offensive as he attempted a bite to the fleshy rump of the dark Chief. Darting away from the draft soon after and pivoting on his back hooves once in space to make a fluid turn back and face his partner.

Locket moved into a brisk trot this time and seemingly advanced on Archibald. His speed being hampered a little by the ground conditions, the mud sapping and drawing in his hooves as he moved. The unicorn stopped just before the giant and quivered in excitement. A front hoof extending out and pawing at the earth expectantly whilst his tail was held high in an Arabian fashion, swishing from left to right. Head twitching whilst his legs danced around between the beats on the ground, the spar was enjoyable and it showed in Locket's expression. There was nothing on the line and more to gain than loose.

[w/c - 559 | 1/2
ooc commentary :: Locket rears to defend himself from Archibald's bite which subsequently grazes against his left shoulder. Locket then bursts forward and tries to bite Archibald's left rear side before cantering away to give himself room to turn and return to face Archibald once more.]

Archibald moved fluently and like a tidal wave, powerful body crashing forward to swallow everything in his path. Locket moves forward like a bird, body quick and sharp, and rears to defend himself. Archibald’s blunt teeth grasp mostly air, but he feels the attack hit the smaller male’s shoulder and his head clicks with one point of success and, like the machine he is trained to be, moves on to his next plan of attack. Feathered hooves slam to the ground and his legs splay some, balance shifting while his weight shifts, and the Chief slams his body hard to the left. His intent, all focused on his greater weight and height than the Arabian Locket, is to knock the panda-marked stallion off balance. As the behemoth’ weight moves rapidly and strongly to the left, Locket’s teeth grasp onto the thickly muscles part of his rump, closer to the hip join than anything else. With pinned ears and arched neck, Archibald turns his head sharply to snap his jaws on Locket’s own rear, but misses as the chestnut slips away with rapid speed.

The fleeing action of the emerald eyed stallion gives Archibald time to turn and face his opponent, golden eyes locked onto the prancing Arabian as they both turn to face each other. Gears turn in Archibald’s head, rolling over and calculating possible moves. Behind all of his machine like actions and thoughts, Archibald is glad Locket is keeping his cool and keeping his attacks shy of bloodthirsty. None of Archibald’s past opponents had displayed the same type of foal-like love for sparring that Locket did. Each one of his brothers, all manipulated to be cold killers, were emotionless and forward in battle. And although they practiced in the same manner throughout their lives, none of the Mandrake sons could help the carnal desire (or, what they thought to be the carnal desire) of bloodshed and often left great wounds on each other if not stopped. Even Romani, a mare that shared a similar desire to Locket’s of learning and protecting, was hard to keep controlled. Locket, on the other hand, seemed to thrive off of the spar with joy and exuberance, his prancing movements painting the picture loudly.

Locket advances towards Archibald once more, his prancing trot high and fluid, and the Dauntless rolls back his weight to center on his back end. Locket, though in a fluid trot, meets Archibald’s front in perfect time and sends dainty hooves poking for the right side of the Dauntless. With his weight focused backwards, his pillar like hinds bend underneath him and his front hooves leave the security of the muddy earth. His rear is low and balanced, muscles tight to keep him aloft. Dirty, feather covered hooves strike out towards Locket’s right humerus.

[WC: 465 | 2/2 | Archibald goes into a low rear and strikes out to hit the front part of Locket’s shoulder, i.e the humerus.]

**Edited to add OOC commentary**

Firstly, my favorite thing you did, was clearly display Locket’s inexperience in sparring; not exactly in his skills, but his actual lack of spars. It probably won’t get you points on the rubric, because I believe that is for only mentioning previous spars, but if it was my decision I’d give you a point. I like it for that fact, mostly, it gives Locket /reason/ to spar with Archibald, aside from him being the military leader of the herd, so that Locket can get used to fighting huge breeds that definitely outweigh him in mass and strength.

Locket’s range of emotion in this post alone is beautiful. His emotions are real and logical, and still well-written. His mix of excitement and nervousness to begin as well as his relief when Loretta leaves is brilliant. I feel that I, personally, would feel similar when faced with something brand new and (frankly) quite dangerous, and that helps me connect to Locket on a deeper level which is what roleplaying and writing is all about. I also felt Locket’s excitement grow as he attacked and pranced—not only did that reflect his emotions but his hotblooded lineage. I like the concoction. You also did well at including breed differences.
One thing that shines bright is your knowledge of the battle rubric itself. Reading your posts, you outlined in your writing points that you would get on the rubric, and that is excellent.

On to the other side of my comments: Locket is faster, and by him running away you used that greatly to your advantage to give him time to turn, and I was able to also use it to my advantage for Archibald to turn. However, having Locket come back in at a trot was not the gate I would have chosen. The slower speed of his trotting gait gave Archibald a lot of time to calculate his next move and couple it with Locket’s approach. Locket wants to show his skills as a warrior, and if he had come back in blazing-hot and possibly giving Archibald less time to think, I feel that Locket would have gained an upper hand.

Through the ages of time

please tag me

LOCKET

Nostrils flared and lips smacked together as he gazed at his teacher with a face of intent, watching for any slight movements and the way Archibald seemed to calculate everything he did. Tactics, or fast thinking, was perhaps a strength to consider and something Locket noted to try more of in future, he may not say much in words but there was buckets the little Arab could learn from the way Archibald battled. He hoped so far he had impressed the Dauntless, gaining confidence when his bite to the rump had hit it's mark. Locket returned four hooves to the ground when the movement he was waiting for closed in alarmingly on the learning warrior.

It seemed his opponent knew his physical strengths well, Locket's ears flickered back and forth, for a split second his mind reeled at what to do next when the feathered feet of his partner began to lift off the ground. Spirited tail slapped the air and in a last gasp lunge he shifted dainty, split hooves skywards, powering to the side and away from Archibald. However, as slight and quick as he was, the Goliath hooves still found flesh as they grazed past the front of his right shoulder, causing Locket to wince in pain as he continued to dance away to the side. He picked up into a flighty canter in order to speed up his turn, feeling his shoulders protest making the movement uncomfortable. His next move would have to come swift off his turn and so away he bounded, trying to give Archibald no chance to dodge after his own attack.

In a thrown together hit and run tactic, Locket flashes into gallop and closes in on the Dauntless, with a flash of teeth he aims once again for his opponents fleshy rump, this time on the right side. He wondered if his success would run true again, careful not to barge himself into the stud, allowing his slender build to run rings around his bulky partner by exiting his attack with a flurry of hooves. Speeding away at a rushing gallop only to quickly turn and bring his dashing gait to a halt, his side of the fight over and all that was left now was to view the damage.

Ears pricked eagerly awaiting Archibald's verdict, happily surprised at the amount he had learn in a simple matter of minutes. The Dauntless truly was a master.

[ooc; sorry for the wait Time!
Thank you so much for helping me with my fighting! <3
--
w/c - 405 | 2/2
Locket defends himself from Archibald's low rear by performing a rear himself, jumping out to the side and suffering grazes from Archibald's hooves to his right shoulder. Locket then darts away to make a quick turn back and attacks Archi by biting at the fleshy, right side of his rump before dashing away again.]

Wilder had a habit of doing that—coming in, striking, darting away. For Archibald, who was such an up close and personal fighter, it was quite agitating. The massive stallion did not move as quickly and could not run in and run out, for he would tire too quickly. For The Dauntless the battle was all about strength and tactic. He knew that if this was a real battle and he had been able to keep Locket close he could have easily flattened him, leave him bloody and bruised on the ground begging for mercy. But, alas, Locket was his herd mate and pupil, he would not think of leaving him bloody on the ground, for Locket was expected to stand next to him on the battle field when it was called. In a quick and odd moment, Archibald decided that he would be proud of Locket charging into battle next to him.

Archibald’s tight muscles in his hind legs loosened as his front hooves scraped over Locket’s body, and the Chief let his body fall back to the ground. The earth gave way some under his hooves, making his balance shaky at first before he turned his hips towards Locket’s right shoulder, just as the male dances away. Snorting, Archibald tucked his heat into his chest and threw his weight forward, lifting his rear end to meet Locket as he came back for another attack. Marred white feathers flicked mud towards the oddly marked stallion as his left hind hoof barreled to defend himself from Locket’s incoming teeth. However, the quickness of Locket’s attack was not anything to be dismissed or easily shaken, and the Dauntless felt a sting as flat teeth closed over the taught skin that covered the semitendinous muscle of his left leg. This is the second bite that has landed on Archibald’s rear left side, and he is satisfied from it, in a way that matches the emotion of a karate teacher when their student successfully breaks boards. Locket knows this spar is not meant for harm, merely for learning, unlike the mare Romani that Archibald had to, literally, knock on her ass to remind her of the spar’s purpose.

Archibald tucks and turns his hips away from Locket then, lifting his giant head to meet Locket’s gaze with cool golden eyes. The Dauntless takes a step back, surveying the Foothills warrior with an unreadable gaze, taking in the minimal damage that he had taken. Satisfied, Archibald nodded to his herd mate. “You did well to keep yourself under control, Locket. But, I must warn you—had this been a real battle and we were out for blood, you would have been moving too slow, especially for a horse of your lineage. Take your ancestral advantage and move.” The Dauntless spoke coolly, tilting his left hind hoof up to relax that side of him, where Locket’s attacks had been centered. “I will not give you a task like I did the halflinger, because you have proven enough to me, warrior. Go now and practice, and be ready for battle can call on us at any minute—this world is unpredictable.”

With that, the Dauntless nods simply once more and turns back towards the heart of the Foothills, Loretta crashing through the far off trees to meet her silent bonded’s side.

[WC: 555 | Closing Defense | Archibald lowers his body from his rear and turns his hips towards Locket, taking the bite while bucking and striking out defensively with his left hind hoof.

**Edited to add OOC:

I really do not have much to say in the end of this spar. It seems that you are really skilled in getting into your character's head, and I enjoyed reading that a lot.

I will say, however, that make sure you add the setting/surroundings into your post and. Sometimes this is the hardest part for me to do, so I understand that it may not be on the forefront of your mind. But, it will get you points on the rubric. If you have specific questions you can PM/skype me and I will be willing to answer. Thank you so much for this spar, Imi, I really enjoyed writing with you.]

Through the ages of time

please tag me

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official

A r c h i b a l d | L o c k e t
- - - - -
By my verdict ARCHIBALD is the winner.

Archibald has been awarded one VP.

ARCHIBALD -- post 1 (attack only)

[Realism]
0| Attack: bite towards shoulder. Good opening attack, but you didn't specify which side you're attacking.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Ease of read.
+ 1| Flow: though you had a few grammatical errors, but it didn't impact the flow too much.

LOCKET -- post 1

[Realism]
- 1| Defense: rearing up to avoid bite. Given the fact that Archibald is roughly three hands taller than Locket, I'm fairly sure that Locket merely rearing will not put him out of reach/make Archibald miss that easily, as it'll also take him a moment to reach the highest point of his rear.
+ 1| Attack: trying to bite rump.
- 1| Borderline powerplay: when Locket stops, you're assuming Archibald has also stopped, or something, as you write "The unicorn stopped just before the giant and quivered in excitement. A front hoof extending out and pawing at the earth..", while Archibald's post ended with him running. It would've been better to just prance in his direction in an "openly written" kind of fashion, and end the post with that.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Ease of read.
+ 1| Flow: you had a few shifts in tense, though.

ARCHIBALD -- post 2

[Realism]
+ 1| Attack: body slam.
0| Injury: bite. It's taken in a plausible fashion, but you do not describe anything of pain, nor of effects. Does it just pinch the skin, or will it bruise the muscle? Will it make him stiff? etc.
+ 1| Attack: striking the humerus. I did not have any prior knowledge of what the "humerus" is, and you're not supposed to have to google the content to a fight post to understand what is going on. It should've been explained in the post. You could've just said "the lower part of his shoulder" or "aiming for the humerus bone, the lower bone in the shoulder" or something, but since otherwise it was a perfectly realistic and acceptable attack, you will not be penalized.

[Prose]
0| Emotion: on the whole, this post felt a bit dry and mechanic.
+ 1| Ease of read.
+ 1| Flow, though sometimes your wording is a bit choppy, with no smooth transitions between sentences, or start repeated sentences with the same word.

LOCKET -- post 2

[Realism]
- 1| Not mentioning Archibald's previous body slam.
+ 1| Defense: rearing away, grazed by the blow.
+ 1| Attack: hit and run bite towards Archi's rump.

[Prose]
0| Emotion: I was on the fence about this post, as a lot of the adjectives you use make me picture him hopping around excitedly, but on the other hand, aside from thought process there was not much presence.
+ 1| Ease of read.
+ 1| Flow: though you did change tense about halfway through.

ARCHIBALD -- post 3 (defense only)

[Realism]
- 1| Defense: Locket was attacking your right side, so I don't really understand why you're taking it on the left, as nothing really explains it. However, you took this attack better than the previous bite.

ARCHIBALD

[Bonus]
+ 2| Terrain: you incorporated the terrain well in this fight, with the slippery mud and all that.
+ 2| Breed: you were aware of the breed differences, and tried to fight accordingly.

[Injuries]
0| Nothing of note.

[Creativity]
0| Nothing of note.

Comments: Good fight! On the whole, you've got a good grasp on fighting, but your prose could do with a little work. You had a tendency to write in a rather choppy manner, or change tense in the middle of a post. Most of the time your posts consisted of the mechanics of a fight, with not much emotion or presence, so you can definitely work on that!

LOCKET

[Bonus]
+ 1| Terrain: you incorporated the terrain well in your first post, but in the second one I feel as if it wasn't mentioned, when the slippy mud would've effect his prancing around to some extent.
+ 2| Breed: you handled the breed differences well for the most part, with Locket's superior speed and agility.

[Injuries]
0| Nothing of note.

[Creativity]
+ 1| Tactic: I really like how he adapted to the situation and developed a "hit and run" tactic.

Comments: Good fight! I really loved how Locket developed a hit-and-run tactic. You've got the base grip of fighting down, so it's just to keep practicing! Try to keep in mind all the elements playing in, from the footing, to wind, sunlight, to make your posts come alive and seem realistic in the given setting.

TOTAL
Archibald - 60
Locket - 59

Image Credit: dirkjankraan @ Flickr

Vesta Posts: 15
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 5 years Buff: NOVICE
Time
Thank you Imi!

Thank you judge!

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi
thank you judge!
& thanks for teaching me time <33

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!