the Rift

Remember rights that I did wrong [Leander]

Phaedra the Opulent Posts: 343
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15.3 :: 6 Buff: NOVICE
Stella :: Secretary Bird :: None Aud
[Image: 50bfc82451215]

PHAEDRA

[Setting: Inspired by this. An island off the coast; perhaps the base could be reached via swimming, but the rocky island is far too vertical to scale. Only pegasi can reach its summit. The day is bright, sunny, and cloudless.]

There is no place I cannot go.
My mind is muddy but - my heart is heavy. Does it show?
I lose the track that loses me, so here I go.

She would put Tolio out of her mind. She would. There was a very good reason that Phae had run all of her life; physical wounds were not the only kind that could leave a scar. And for the first time, Phae felt damaged. Those softer and more philosophical than She might have told her that the pain Tolio had caused would only make her stronger, and that she was not damaged by improved somehow, by the ordeal. Phae did not see it that way, however. She only felt regret, for letting herself so foolishly make mistake after mistake. But it would never happen, not again. She knew what she was; a vixen. She used her natural assets to her advantage, and it had kept her safe this far. Flirting with stallions - causing them to think that she was theirs; that this bright and beautiful thing could be under their lock and key, so long as they keep it safe. Why she had thought love could ever be a solution, she didn't know.

As she flew, the weight of her mistakes seemed to slowly billow off of her. Stella was probably the root cause of that - Next to Phaedra's lithe shape, with a small chick. Stella was a secretary bird - her upper plumage was silvery white, leaving her legs and thighs completely black. The most striking feature about her, was her bold orangey-yellow face. That face now peered at Phae with the utmost adoration and care. Sharing the skies was something Phae had never willingly done with another, but now she realized how fulfilling it could be

In the distance, she spied a vast rocky formation jutting out of the waters. Perfect she thought, noting how purely unscalable it was. No unicorns. No Tolio. As she curled her wings, forcing more lift and raising her higher into the air, her breath caught in her chest as she reached the top and took in the vast view: It was extraordinary. The horizon seemed to stretch on forever. Why had she never come here before?

I did my best, it wasn't much.
I couldn't feel, so I tried to touch
I've told the truth, I didn't come to fool you.
And even though it all went wrong
I'll stand before the Lord of Song
With nothing on my tongue but Hallelujah

HP: 45.5

Leander the LionHeart Posts: 184
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.3 :: 8
Epona

LEANDER

your heart is the beacon, your heart is the storm

Two pairs of deep russet wings beat through the sea air. The golden flew high above the ground, with Ember's small form not too far below him. The growing eagle was still not quite strong enough on her wings to dare scale to her bonded's heights. Nonetheless, she was a quick, determined learner and had little trouble keeping up with the draft.

It was a perfect day to be in the air. The sky stretched on, an unending mass of blue that met the deeper hues of the ocean as they left the coast. It was days like these when he regretted not being able to show Faelene and others such sights. One almost had to wonder if not being able to look down across the land left other species empty of something that the winged possessed. And if that were true, surely the grounded made up for the loss in other ways which flyers would not. Maybe it gave him clarity, to be able to glide so far from the land and all of its problems. Then again, time spent in the air did not seem to calm the souls of all pegasi. He had met enough to be sure of that.

Bronze pools shined ahead to the sight of a massively steep island of rock, rising from the calm waters below. There was a glimmer of blond hide at it's top; the form of another gliding around its tall plateau. With a few heavy beats of his wings, Leander flew closer, knowing the vague feminine scent on the air. It was the spy. That was all he could call her, for the girl had yet to give out her name, even after having met him twice now. Both times, she had acted completely different. The first, mouthing off to him as though she knew every single detail of his life and found it absolutely pathetic. The last, she had spoken little, though it did not seem to be fear that had kept her words short. It was almost as if she wanted to speak to him, all of a sudden. With a curious gaze, the LionHeart rode the air currents closer to her petite body, slowing as he reached her side. He was careful to leave some space between the sleuth and the bright crane accompanying her. Ember was quickly rising to be closer to him, her own sharp eyes studying the other bird. "Hello, miss." He spoke loudly over the breeze, pale hairs whipping around his face. He half-expected the small girl to be frightened off by his presence, and yet she had not seemed one to flee from danger. Even when he had summoned the blizzard upon her, she had stood defiantly against the storm. She had also mentioned the desire to talk with him in the forest, and now she would get her chance.

Deceased

PHAEDRA

Phaedra felt the air stir, as Leander's large wings dislodged the particles from where they gaily floated. Turning just in time, Phae watched as his large golden form neatly descended next to her. Had this been closer to the time Phae had arrived in Helovia, her wings would have surely already taken her far away from him in fear. But now, after so much had happened, running was no longer the first instinct which prodded her mind to action. Now, her mind cared about Stella. The small chick flew from her current position on the ground, onto Phae's withers. This caused the sooty mare to shake slightly, feeling the bird's talons digging into her flesh. Still, she adored the feeling of having Stella near her, and tolerated this roughness pleasantly.

Both Phae and Stella peered at Ember with great interest. During their last two meetings, the golden charger had not had the little one with him; How quickly things change, Phae thought. Stella tittered at the eagle-chick, tilting her head with great curiosity. She spread her white wings, shuffling from foot to foot on Phae's back to keep her balance, trying to showing off. Apparently the little bird had already picked up that trait from her bonded.

"Hello Leander." Phae said with an intrigued smile on her lips. Something about Leander tugged at some small part in her - urging her to discover something - perhaps the same small part in him. She was grateful that they were meeting at such a high altitude - regardless of whether it was coincidence, or whether he was intrigued by her closing remarks in the Forest. Either way, neither Faelene nor Tolio would be able to find them here - which would surely only cause more drama than necessary. And although enticing Leander would be one way to get back at Faelene, the selfish part of Phae wanted to keep him out of that mess, if possible, if only so that their whatever-you-want-to-call-it-because-friendship-certainly-doesn't-seem-like-the-right-word, could continued unhindered.

"Am I really such a poor spy that now i'm being followed?" Phae asked with a silvery laugh, taking an innocent step towards him. Her lips curved in a genuine smile as she looked at him; usually those who see Phae's genuine side, don't see her flirtatious side - but if one did, they might be inclined to tell her that her genuine emotions shone through much more beautifully than her painted on laughs, and flirtatious looks. But, that hadn't happened yet. "Or maybe, I'm really such a good one, that I can just predict where you'll be next?" Again, that beautiful laugh.

Hidden Account
Epona

LEANDER

The golden landed with a soft thud of heavy hooves upon the earth next to the spy, outstretched wings beginning to fold neatly against his hide. Ember was close behind, and the sharp grasp of her talons soon found their perch upon his back. Normally, she might find more interest in the air while Leander spoke to another pegasi, but her piercing gaze still lay intrigued by the flashy crane-like fowl on the stranger's body. It was, of course, not one of her exact kind, but a distant cousin of sorts. She let out a greeting call to the flouncing, young, neon-faced bird, before settling herself upon her bonded's broad back.

"Do you hide your name from everyone, or am I just special?" He quipped, grinning down at emerald eyes. She was smiling. Was that a good sign? She still seemed to have that same undaunted demeanor as she had back in the forest, but now there was some curiosity placed on her dainty features. He wondered where it had come from, and what more she could possible want to know from him. After all, if she knew about he and Faelene, than didn't she know everything there was to him? Except, of course, the past. His time before the Throat was long and reckless. The pretty little pip wold probably mock him for that too, if she had the chance.

The quick display of humor was surprising, to say the least. Such a stark contrast from the volatile, sarcastic girl he'd first met. Shaking a long mass of forelock out of his face, Leander let out a somewhat aghast chuckle of his own. "Don't worry, I wasn't tracking you. Not that you don't deserve it." Playful chords retorted. It almost felt wrong, watching her act as though they were old friends. He had caused her harm, and no matter how many times she might try and capture him, there was no excuse for it. There were few things that would cause him to cause any mare harm; even in the Battle of the Edge, he had kept his attacks trained on the males of their ranks. Even now, with Kri's clear lack of sensibility, he would not physically remove her from the Throat. Maybe it would be right to make her leave, but how could he hurt someone who had had thought was his friend? Even if Kri would cast him from the herd for merely disagreeing with her, he would not stoop to that level.

The fae's lithe form was moving closer, and the muscles under his tawny pelt tensed. He fought the urge to sidle away from her. There were no spirits controlling him now, though sometimes he needed reminding. Trying to suppress the guilt and unease that her presence inspired, he remained composed with a softer smile upon his lips. "Did you want to talk with me about something in particular?"

Deceased

PHAEDRA

Stella trilled with joy as the other bird acknowledged her presence. She folded her wings to her side, content now that she had been recognized. Do you hide your name from everyone, or am I just special? Phaedra tilted her head, pausing to think for a moment. She wasn't entirely sure how to proceed; she felt an odd comfortableness around Leander, and wanted to explore the basis for that feeling more. She assumed it had to do with their initial encounter, and the opportunity it granted her to see a different side of the LionHeart. But she noticed, by the way his body tensed when she moved near, that he likely did not share this comfortableness. Still, her flirtatious ways would only cheapen this time he had afforded her, and so she was unsure of how best to proceed.

"You have yet to ask my name." She countered mischievously, being playfully difficult. "It's Phaedra" She murmered, her voice softening. "Or Phae, if you like." She regarded him seriously for a moment, until his comment of Don't worry, I wasn't tracking you. Not that you don't deserve it caused another smile to breach her features. She wasn't entirely sure how to take his last comment, not that you don't deserve it. What could he have meant by that? It was the interpretation of why someone would follow her, which was causing her mind to stir - was that a remark about her sleuthing skills? Or something more personal..? Her consideration of this point was interrupted by Leander's next question, Did you want to talk with me about something in particular?

She turned away from him, so that he wouldn't see the painful grimace etch across her face and dull her sparkling green gaze. She walked to the edge of the cliff, looking out over the vast ocean. The warm ocean breeze mixed with her sweet scent of cinnamon and lilac, and tugged playfully at her sandy locks. Her gaze remained dark and hurt as she gazed out across the open waters, Right down to it.. she thought, a little sadly. Perhaps this was simply all business to the golden brute. She coached herself mentally to not let her voice break; to not let her emotions betray her. "Yes there was." She replied softly. The last time she had spoken of Faelene around Leander, an ice storm had rendered her unable to fly for almost a week. She doubted that she would receive that reaction from him now, especially under these circumstances. However, the harsh memory of Faelene's words mixed with Tolio's unwillingness to defend her, almost rendered her silent. But this was more business than anything, was it not?

Sighing heavily, Phae turned back to look at him, her gaze neutral, if not a little sad. "I wanted to let you know that I led a group of the Grey to the Aurora Basin, now led by the unicorn Psyche." She paused, her gaze wavering for a moment. She was unable to say Leander's loves' name without anger - but surely he would know that she had joined the Basin. "We have extended them an open invitation to use our services. I thought you should know that." She wasn't entirely sure that he would understand - part of her didn't really understand it either. She felt like a fool for caring about any of them - It had started with Tolio. Tolio, who had befriended Faelene. So, Phae had tried to steal Leander as a way to tell him of the Grey, to keep him safe, for Faelene's sake. And then, she had gone to the Basin to offer the Grey's services as a way of keeping Faelene safe. And all she got for her troubles, was an ice storm from Leander, a brutal verbal lashing from Faelene, and a cold rejection from Tolio. "I have also extended an invitation for Faelene and Tolio to join the Grey as warriors...I have heard that the Basin may have some ideals that not all unicorns are willing to uphold." She had to turn her gaze back to the open air and the endless ocean as she continued, hoping that the soft ocean breeze would be held as the culprit for the wavers in her voice.

Hidden Account
Epona

LEANDER

The speckled dove's light comments fell mirthfully on the air, and the golden cocked his brow above a smile. She was indeed right; he hadn't actually come out and asked for her name. He was so used to giving out his own, and receiving those of others that it just seemed common place to expect it. For a moment, he thought she might still keep the title from him, as if it held some importance that he ought not know. Phaedra. It was a lovely name, fitting for someone so beautiful - maybe not for the rude spy he'd first met, but then, he'd had few manners that day as well.

The palomino asked his question, and suddenly she was moving away, stepping off to walk along the steep edge of the rocky isle. Then her voice rang out again, this time much more quiet and somber. Guilt flooded his chest again, and lines of concern tightened over his features. Was it the harm he'd done to her, that she wanted to speak of? Or was there something else he might have done to upset her, to make her lose that bright, jovial smile? Gently, sooty limbs took a few steps closer to the side of the smaller mare. Her chartruese sights were back on him again, but it would soon be his turn to look away. Pale cream locks flounced as he turned his head to look out across the horizon of blues, darkened ears twisting unpleasantly to point towards his skull. They were the only one of his features that betrayed some anger at her confession, for the gold curves of his face remained calm and smooth. "And what did those Unicorns say to your generosity?" He said coolly, disregarding the need she'd felt to mention who led them. That ebon bitch, arrogant and small minded, and yet Faelene warned him of her manipulative prowess. No, he did not doubt that; underestimating anyone was a bad idea to begin with. It was almost comical, to think that the mercenaries would give out their services so freely. Did they have no true allies then? Did they have no sense of loyalty, but a drive to be compensated for doing anyone else's dirty work? The way Phaedra had initially talked of her group had made him believe that they had a desire for peace; a thing he could support and fight for. I need to stop putting faith in the words of mares I know so little about. He thought to himself, reminded of Kri's sudden change in demeanor at the very mention of disagreement with her ideas.

Faelene's name was spoken, and his aureate eyes flashed back to the turned head of the blond. She mentioned the name of some other, likely another Basin Unicorn, and one that he had never met nor heard of. "What use does the Grey have for warriors?" He asked, a light curiosity clear in his tone. Were they planning on attacking anyone in particular, or did they utilize soldiers as a force of body guards, to protect their trouble-stirring spies? There was too much he didn't know about Phaedra's group.

Deceased

PHAEDRA

And what did those Unicorns say to your generosity? The coldness in his voice made her bristle slightly; the last time he stood this close to her and spoke in such a tone, things unravelled quickly. But Phaedra was stronger than she had been then, and this was a very different subject. She flexed her wings slightly as Leander emphasized the word unicorn. She knew that the Basin was comprised of all unicorns, and that some unicorn-supremist ideals were likely the cause. Lowering her voice, she arched her neck daintily as she turned her muzzle to face him. "Know this Leander, we are mercenaries for hire - we accept payment, not normative pleas for how things ought to be. That being said..." Her voice trailed off momentarily, her green gaze narrowing but losing none of its warmth. She was unsure of how much she should tell him, but at the same time felt the need to continue conversing with him. "That being said...If we are aware of the plights of the other herds, we have the capacity to alter things, as we see fit." During this little speech, Phae had lifted her chin, always proud to speak of the Grey, and what they stood for. If The Grey extended their services to all the herds, then it followed that they would also be kept informed of every one's goings-on. In which case, if another invasion were to transpire, the Grey could properly position themselves to effect the outcome.

"They Grey are like a group of silent guards. We do as we are bid, but not mindlessly. We strive for peace, but it isn't the case that everyone's truths and ideas about peace are the same. That is why we need warriors. Gatherers of information such as myself, can only do so much" To emphasize her point, she squared her lithe form to his, extending her wings. She tossed her mane back to demonstrate the smooth and graceful lines of her neck and shoulders; her hooves squared neatly beneath her body. Her large wings billowed out - her feathers dancing lightly in the wind. She was slender and built for speed - her muscles were long and lean, built for stamina over long distances. Fully exposed to him, she tilted her head slightly to the side, "You see? I am no warrior."

She shivered slightly as the ocean breeze lovingly wrapped itself around her uncloaked flanks. "Whatever it is you're planning, you would do well to keep m-us informed." Phae had to resist the urge to ask him to keep her specifically informed. Surely Ktu or Ophelia would serve as a better touchstone into their operation, yet that small part of her kept calling for her to keep him close. She just didn't know why yet.

[OOC:Since both Phae and Leander have amulets that they were awarded and planned to 'find', then could find them here?]