the Rift

Be great in act, as you have been in thought. [rescue]

Lena the Songbird Posts: 663
Aurora Basin Time Mender atk: 4 | def: 10.5 | dam: 6.5
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 :: 6 HP: 69 | Buff: NOVICE
Imogen :: Common Kitsune :: Fire Heather

Look like the innocent flower,
But be the serpent under it.

The world was cold, cruel, vicious, and unkind, wavering burdens of cumbersome abhorrence, unholy fancies sprung by capricious tides. Lena had burned in its midst, recoiled in its abyss, and been renewed, incensed, amongst the clamor, along the unwinding turmoil, in the boughs of dismal turbulence. Though she’d sunk into the anarchic whims, wrought ruin in the wake of loyalties and murderous beat of war drums, she also savored the beneficence of morality, the ethics of rapture, the emblems of reverie. She was not made to be malicious, licentious, or dipped in iniquity; she danced instead of sieged, she sang instead of assaulted, she dreamed instead of churning over in avaricious greed. Others were not the same, didn’t breathe in raptures, didn’t dream in tranquility, didn’t savor the warmth of tender benevolence, the song of virtues or the winsome arts. Instead they clung to the delusions of absconding, plundering and pillaging, ravaging the chaotic lawlessness, the seditious upheaval, the burdening onslaught, games of pawns, rooks, Kings, Queens, knights slain across a bloody floor, souls stolen from their once opulent bliss. To say her realm was absent from this mentality was inane and vacuous, the Basin harbored twisted, distorted individuals, and she would be flung from their arms too, ignored and discarded at the slightest chance. Yet, despite these righteous plights, she would not allow herself to be useless, meek or helpless in the predicaments of companions and brethren. The nymph, the sylph, the fairy and fay was useful, held a purpose, beneficial, advantageous, striking the hearts and hoards of rivals with smiles and cordiality, with ambassadorial prestige and emissary claim – and was determined to prove that to a world that likely found her incapable and hopeless. Rescue, liberation, freedom, she yearned for Aurelius and the corporal to taste deliverance again. They’d been held too long within these claws, within these clutches, within this meddlesome grasp, and she craved, yearned, longed for their emancipation.

Stepping lightly, she was airy elegance on the choking shards of the Throat’s dust, lithe and lissome grandeur in the crushing essence of power and prestige: another palace, another kingdom undaunted by the whims of pernicious glee. Respectful, refined, courteous, she ceased movement outside the perimeters of soot and dirt, dared not touch the simmering edge, the searing fringe, the bounds of puissance. She took several with her, led their staunch souls to the walls and borders of sand, of dunes, where iron and intimidation lined the arches of their ramparts and barricades, gracing the finery of its domination with the presence of her enigmatic, stalwart entity. It was her third time pursuing the blades of their convictions, first the ice sovereign’s daughter, second the doctor, and now third: her formidable friend and the spirited corporal. She drew herself into a picture of composure, unruffled, unperturbed, tracing the winding soil with strength, perseverance and diligence, the harmony of bravery and valor; diplomacy along the cracking earth, consul in the tides of bedlam. Warm, honeyed gaze stole a glance at the brethren gathered behind her (would they know how grateful she was for their kindness, for their strength, for walking into fire with her?), then the regal head twisted back to the lacquered boundaries, solidified her request with a courageous fancy, mellifluous, springing into the corridors, the parlors, the hallways, where prisoners were held, where captors guarded. “We come for Aurelius and Elizabeth.” Then, the waiting game started, the wondering, the pondering, of release, of salvation, and if there were more pawns to shift, more sacrifices before they were all carved into the earth.

[Reserved for Faelene, Larkspur, Deodat, and Throat members, such as Kri, Azzuen, Xira, etc, those that hold some regard with the prisoners. Thank you!]

Faelene Posts: 297
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16 :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Sica

F A E L E N E
i want the friction

Dark skin was coated in her newly gifted armor; a light, cream tone, a protective layer trimmed with fur of black and white. A mask bearing the sharp teeth of the vicious creature it had been made from adorned her face, an onyx jewel with yellow surrounding looking like the liquid from an eye resting beneath her wickedly curved, silver horn. The sand crunched beneath her hooves, sifting beneath their hard core, while her silver eyes searched the red landscape, more often the skies. It was hot, even though her hide was sleek it would always be hot here. She often pondered if the Basin was cold to outsiders. Faelene did not let her thoughts wander away with her. Sticking close to Lena's flank she was trying to prepare for the worst, and keep on guard. How badly she wished she had her magic now, but she had yet to finish her quest. She had failed to take Aurelius or his guard by surprise so he may return to the Basin and they now had to resort to a new plan. Lena had decided to walk there with a small team, make a more diplomatic approach to get their herd mates. So Faelene did not hesitate to offer her company, they didn't need another captive in this hell hole.

The red maned found comfort that Lena had done this before, and more gifted with her tongue. Faelene would never question her bravery. Besides she likely knew things about the Sultana, the best way to make this work, back when Faelene was only a run away slave. A heavy breath falling from her nostrils, she shook her neck still amazed at how her armor felt like a second skin. She was most grateful for it today hoping it would not be needed, but more than ready to see a certain Pegasus. Surely since Mirage was to longer to be their visitor they would have no more reason to keep their own prisoners. Would it be surprising if it did lead to a fight? No, not in the slightest. Who had really started this? The Dragon's Throat had started the ambushes, taking Sno, d'art and trying a few times for their King. It was them and the Qian that had cast them from the Edge did they really expect no repercussions? Pausing to stand beside her comrade, she still had her eyes to the skies. It was time to see what would become of this.

[Image: faeleneicon.png]

Elizabeth Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Elizabeth
the fallen
I tread the edge silently, my longing to go home grew so intense that I was distant from any world but the inside of my cage. I scream and beat against the walls waiting for my time to escape without marks. I could not risk becoming injured without having a good cause. Battle called and beckoned at me and I would not fail it with injuries. So I waited. Waited for my perfect chance to go on and leave. In the distance, over the bitter cold silence, I hear my name called. I ponder for moments, waiting to register if I was hearing shit or not. In hope I move my gait to a fast gallop. Sand is so hard to maneuver in, so hard to get your legs pumping, but I do not fail to make my try worth it. There was purpose and hate in my step, I was unsure if one of Kri's children awaited for my appearance like I was a slave or if it was time for me to go home.

But I see a familiar face. The arabian, black with a fiery red mane. So familiar but yet I held a keen dislike for her. Perhaps it was the day with Xanthos that reminds me of why I feel such ways towards her. Though she too has come for my rescue and I will not hold her accountable for her daring actions any further. I am though cautious around her, mmm.. cautious would be weak, I am very keen to watch her and wait for a reason to attack. My movements slow upon arrival, I am weary of how I should be. Perhaps this is a trick my mind is playing, this darkness inside my cage is filling to my head and I know I'm drowning in some fake world Kri has made. Just to further my torture and distance me much. She does not teach me a lesson, instead she instigates my fuel and helps me start a fire. This fire will lead me to war and in war I will hold her in the grasps of my hooves as she squawks for air like the damn bird she is.

Silver eyes look roughly to the two mares but deep inside I am thankful for them to come. I can not be too thankful for this could be a trick. So I look to the side, back, up and then move forwards. "Wonderful to see my own kin again." it had been so long, "The armor suits you well." Lupus was my first sign of hope and I was thankful for the chance to meet him and bring me from my solitude inside my mind. Still though I am drunken in confusion and I continue to fall into a chaotic state of mind. I feel dangerous and invincible, two combinations are horrible for both the holder and the one to deal with such amount of force. Those who are insane are unpredictable, unstable and not worth trust. You must be cautious of them, weary of their next move, so watch me if you dare. I will give no signs or warnings as such, but I will fall from sanity just as I have fallen from my queen ship. What fools to have ran me from the throne, I was raising them higher than before. Higher than ever.

[ooc- adjusted accordingly to fit the updated thread.]

Larkspur Posts: 33
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 4 Buff: NOVICE
Bluey

l a r k s p u r         
Loose ends, they tangle down and then take flight.

Larkspur swiftly came to the conclusion that she did not like the desert any more than she did the strange, undesirable creatures of the winged and horned variety that inhabited it. They had trekked through the last vestiges of ice and snow as they passed south, down through the mountains that surrounded their home, and further south still until the rolling hills and emerald enshrouded woodlands gave way to the barren, lifeless stone and fine grained sand of the Throat’s northern border. The powdered soil stuck to her nostrils, coating her lungs in its incessant and unavoidable presence, and she could taste its salt like quality in her mouth. It was hotter in this strange place, nothing like the comforting cold of the Basin, and the cerulean and shadow hued mare could feel the distinct and radiating rays of the sun in a sky devoid of clouds as they beat down on her back. If all went as Lena planned, perhaps they would make quick work of this attempt at diplomacy and return home with both their brethren, as well as themselves, unscathed.

She could hope at least.

She had agreed to follow her herd sister on this trip, a chore of ambassadors and emissaries; because she trusted the bay mare more so than anyone else she had met thus far. Larkspur was of no calling or creed that denoted her as one to handle the affairs of those sent as messengers to talk about peace and armistice, but she would not let Lena travel on this possible fool’s errand alone. Faelene, whom she had just met since this journey began, gave the warrior some comfort. The midnight mare with the crimson mane looked fierce in the armor she bore upon her back, a commanding aura that bespoke of the mare’s courage and strength, and would surely give whoever found them reason to think twice before approaching. Like a shadow she remains behind them both by two of her longest strides at a walking pace, positioned on the opposing side of Faelene, gilded eyes narrowed and surveying their surroundings with the utmost attention. She is composed of silence and an uncharacteristic serenity, muscles taught, coiled and prepared to spring beneath her skin. She moves with cat like grace across the sands behind her comrades, attentive and rapt, every sight and every sound taken note of as they come to a languid, unhurried stop. Lena’s voice rings clear, lyrical and smooth against the still of the desert air.

Somewhere behind her and out of sight Larkspur knows the russet-red vagabond, Déodat, lingers in wait, another source of reassurance should things go terribly wrong. She and the bay unicorn had been recruited for one purpose. Should the talks of benevolent diplomacy and negotiation give way to something of a more violent nature, they would have to make sure that their herd mates were protected. The first arrival on the scene is a black mare strewn in threads of silver across her darkened skin, and Larkspur tenses momentarily, for she has never laid eyes on Elizabeth before now. At her welcome the cerulean mare relaxes, at least as much as she can mannage given the volatile situation, and she listens in contemplative silence at her greeting. The most she offers her emprisoned herd mate is a quick and cordial dip of her horned head, knowing now is not the time or place for anything else. The situation, not to mention the wearied state the mare seemed to be in, allows Larkspur to reserve her own salutations and introductions for a later time, choosing to remain quiet and delibrately scanning the dunes that surround them for any other individuals who would happen upon their little group. She lingers like a restless, aggrivated spirit in the strands and tangles of proffered amity, a glowering, baleful soul who seems to seethe and roil in muted loathing of the entire situation. Larkspur hopes more than anything that these southern strangers will at least stop and make an attempt to listen to Lena’s voice of reason before deciding to take any drastic measures. And if not, than she was prepared to meet them.

Image Credits

Ázzuen the Ardent Posts: 94
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.1 :: 8
Whit

Wingbeats thrummed against the savannah that was their home, drumming a beat into the air and earth that spoke of the arrival of the General. The summons was gentle, and familiar - he had dealt with this creature before, over circumstances that had occurred before too. Would the outcome be the same? Would Azzuen, battle-weary and beaten, release the prisoners just because they asked so nicely, again?

Eyes of an amiable sky blue peered at the gathering as he descended from the heights, spying the warm mahogany frame of Lena, and the dark, crimson stained hide of Faelene with mild interest. He knew of both of these mares, at the very least, he knew the stench of their blood on a battlefield.

Then another came creeping along, as if she could crawl by unnoticed, it was Elizabeth. A cruel smirk twisted the stallion's lips as he pulled up to land, placing his muscular bulk purposefully between that of Elizabeth's and Faelene's, uncaring as to whether his feathers gently scraped along their backs with the intimate closeness of the gathering. Such freedom would not come by so easily.

A harsh snort exits his maw as the stallion ruffles his wings on their way to folding back down against his sides, the steed tossing his dreadlocked mane about as yet another unicorn arrives, this one was new, unknown to him, lingering in the background of the fray - he knew better than to discount the extra body as harmless.

"Speak swiftly the reasons why our prisoners deserve their freedom, or else return to your northern abode." He may have been outnumbered, but that did not mean he was outmatched. He wondered whether the horned creatures who demanded such things would simply plead, and ask over and over, or did they come with a bargaining chip? Azzuen stood before them all, unafraid, and ready for what may come.

larfsalot.deviantart.com

Déodat Posts: 174
Absent Abyss atk: 3.5 | def: 10 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 hands :: 12 HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Odette :: White German Shepherd :: None Minx

Déodat had a debt to pay.

Lena. A gentle creature, with gentle words and an even gentler touch. She had stood steadfast and unwavering in the blaze of his violate temper, never faltering beneath the onslaught of his stubborn pride and pig-headedness. She had healed him—a bad-tempered stranger she didn't even know—cleansing his deeply infected battle wounds and vanquishing the fever despite being ill-treated. Although he would never admit it, not even to himself, Déodat was deeply ashamed of his actions. But rather than doing the sensible thing and simply coughing up an apology, the red stallion volunteered his services instead, leaning heavily on the excuse that he was not one to linger in the shadow of a debt, which was true enough. He despised depending on anyone other than himself, and as a result of such pig-headed independence, he was determined to repay Lena's kindness in the only way he knew how.

The cold mountains of the northern borders had faded away long ago and a vast emptiness yawned before the small company, seemingly endless. How he missed the frigid air and the towering heights of the blue mountains! A sheen of dark sweat glistened on the blood red tones of his skin, glinting harshly beneath the sun as the company lingered on the edges of the Throat. He traveled at the rear of the company, following Larkspur, the sky-blue mare, at a distance. He did not know her well other than an infuriating first encounter, but Déodat felt she was the closest thing he had to a comrade in these foreign lands.

His strides were even and smooth, and thanks to Lena, his former strength and glory was restored to him with every step into the wild land riddled with danger and adventure. But this was not an adventure. It was a mission, and the seriousness of such an event did not go unnoticed by the General's son. He did not approve of Faelene and Lena's negotiating tactics, but then again, Déodat was clan-born and had never been one for the subtle intricacies and complexities of diplomacy. In the clans, war ruled all lives and it was attack or be attacked. Despite his hostile misgivings, he did not protest, and simply did as he was commanded.

He settled near Larkspur's shoulder, watching the proceedings with an emotionless expression. Another mare met them at the borders, and Déodat assumed this must be Elizabeth. He did little more than give her a vague glance, before settling on a formidable looking pegasus. His vision suddenly blurred and the fall of his father the General is livid and blood-red in his mind's eye, his heart seething in his chest like a broiling sea at the sight of wings protruding from the stallion's withers. Flaring his nostrils in distaste, Déodat cleared the vivid colors of painful memories from his mind, focusing his energy on analyzing every angle of the stallion. If there should be a fight, this would be the bird to bring down.

déodat,

image credits
[Image: QV8O7HU.gif]
Cut from the cloth, of a flag that
Bears the name of "Battle Born"
con by aihnna@dA

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!
 Kri</style>

With all the care and grace of a pissed off bull, I make my landing on the red earth a few paces from the gathering. My wings sound like blustered canvas sails as they expand, slowing my descent, the ground clapping heavily as my hooves meet the red rock and dust below. My body had fallen, rather sharply, like a heafty stone from the sky. My wings unfurl at the last moment, keeping my sturdy legs from crumbling under the pressure of meeting rock so quickly. Still, the movement jarrs them still, but I do not really care at this point. Luckily for the unicorns, they had found a rested area on the outskirts of my territory. Were it otherwise, I might have to chastise them for intruding, as well as making ridiculous requests like returning those we had rightfully stolen. I hold my wits about me, taking a deep breath, inhaling small particles of red dust that I had become accustomed to following me just about everywhere. The desert was beautiful, but it was messy.

Quick movements bring me forward, a trot bustling my form forward while wings fold against my side cleanly. I note that Azzuen has insinuated himself between Elizabeth and the black mare with a crimson mane, and I am thankful. You could not give me a thousand amulets to get close to that childish wench, unless it was to cleanly smack her over the head with a forcible wing. I come to stand, instead, on the opposite side of the bay colored mare that had spoken. Her honey eyes are warm, while my dark blue oceans are frigid. Azzuen speaks as I come to a halt, wind whistling through my mane as I take in our company.

One stallion looks with murderous eyes at my General, and when I glance at him, I can see his nostrils flare with a violent breath seeping through. "If being in the presence of my kin bothers you so, stallion, perhaps you should have stayed at home." My words are harsh, cold, and called his bad manners out onto the table immediately. I want no sly words to be played here; let no mask hide the true intentions of these unicorns with guarded eyes, asking for gifts they have no resources to barter for.

"Welcome to the Dragon's Throat," I say, turning my attention back to the bay mare, the calmest of the gather. "I am Kri, though I believe we have met briefly before." Upon my return of Sno, the eldest child of the Frostheart, I can recall her sweet disposition from amid a crowd of angry souls. Even to an outsider who knew little of Mauja's band of unicorns, Lena had stood out as being different. "I do not wish to see the relations of our herds worsened, but Azzuen is right. What reason do we have to release those we hold captive? Your request is not enough."

She set the stage and waited for the players to arrive, warriors, leaders, brethren in arms, highlighting the oeuvre of her diplomacy, set into shadows or beside her in might. They had reached another realm of challenge, the barbarity of wit, the soul of debate, the discord of foreign affairs, battles of intelligence and shrewdness, tactics of mayhem and bedlam. War could be won, avoided, or coiled again based on word alone; kindled, quelled, incensed, defeated by the anomalies of a request, by the iniquities of a betrayal, by the strain and dissent between two forces. They walked a taut, rigid, rope now, bearing no weight to either side in hopes of avoiding a long plunge into the abyss, becoming torn and frayed themselves, locked in the corridors of the Throat. Faelene, with her faithful companionship, her ability to dabble in arts of melee and discretion, Larkspur, the nettled flower whom had followed her without qualm, and Déodat, gruff soldier layered into the shade, melting into the canvas, protective, resolute. Without their presence folded into the dust, she would have walked into her own oubliette, and because she feared for them, frightened by the perils of another world, another earth in which her smile held little power, she tread lightly, fed no hostilities into the smothering tension.

Ever genial, ever courteous, ever stoked in humility and modesty, Lena bowed her regal head at the General’s arrival, felt the apprehension rise in her barrel, traced the potential calamity, of her, their, destruction in her grand mind. Tasting control and composure again, she lifted her cranium to render the soft gaze of her brown eyes, allowed the silken smile to bloom across her features once more. He’d been fair and calm before when she drew herself into this world for the Doctor, but she could see the suspense, the anticipation, had immersed itself into this earth again. He placed his frame between prisoner and hope, and even before he bestowed words upon their small party, she knew this would not be easy as prior occurrences. Kingdoms had changed, dedications altered, debts hardened, sentiments beaten and broken, and so she would shower her emblem in grace, perform in finery, in elegance, in finesse and nobility, to save and liberate. The leader showed quickly thereafter, doused and soaked in the ardor of power and prestige – she received the same token as Azzuen, a deeper dip of the cranium to show respect, diligence, and honor. Even at her gruff segment of words clattering to Déodat, Lena dared not turn around, and silently hoped that the stag could cease whatever wrong he had already committed within the barbs of silence.

Instead, she postured the formalities, poised dignity, prosed harpsichord rapture to drown the anarchy in decorum, beneficence and compassion. Harmony, a gifted, blessed aria, echoed from her mouth, and she began her own semblance of art, of influence, sketching the ambassador prestige. “Sultana Kri, General Ázzuen.” A pause, a sweep over their faces, a genial grin fastened to her countenance to dissolve the wariness bolstering along the scene. Collected, serene, tranquil, and effervescent in the veils of danger. “Twice before you have taken one of our brethren – Mauja’s daughter and our doctor – without any prior provocation. You received no vengeance from us.” The memory served her well, the first time she had met Kri, amongst the mass of vexed, writhing, wrathful souls, studying the world she was ultimately submerged within. “We stand before you again in the same measure. We hold none of your herd hostage, yet, you snatch two of ours, one of whom has done no wrong.” She spoke truth, not the guiles or wiles of a fox, but the delicacy of a nymph, a seraph, a sylph dipped in fairy opulence. The Basin contained not a single Throat citizen, and while she couldn’t speak for Elizabeth’s deeds, she knew very well that Aurelius, staunch and stalwart, had not earned this ire, this despair, these wicked, clattering doldrums of captivity. Her eyes searched theirs once more, pouring the morality of her aspirations into her gaze, into her heart, into her soul. “Do you long for this constant friction between our herds?” For she didn’t, held no wish or claim to continue the onslaught of terror, horror, plucking innocents and infidels from their home. Perhaps this was a moment she could extend an olive branch, taper the ruffian threads between two mighty forces.

Hidden Account
Sica

F A E L E N E
i want the friction

Elizabeth, a lady who's level of sanity was unknown to Faelene even under normal circumstances drew from the sands. Having placed eyes on her before she was trying to see if there was difference in the tall draft, or not.Faelene's silver pools did not hold onto the mare long, sure they would be answered soon by Elizabeth's guard. It wasn't until the mare complimented her silver pools would shift seeing the corporal's own gaze was harsh falling upon them. She had been here too long, Faelene could see by that hold in her more dominant silver look. The red maned could also see she had some resolve, trying to hold onto her usual demeanor. "Thank you, but this place does not suit you," she would murmur if to give the lady something else to hold to. Faelene may not care for her much, but she saw this all as needless suffering. It was another thing to set the Unicorns off. There would have been much better ways to deal with matters.

Like wicked clock work the black pegasus with white stripes she had waited for, who lacked his spear this time, cast himself down between herself and Elizabeth. It was not a smart move in her mind, but Faelene remained steady, waiting for Lena to do her work. She would not answer him, but remind herself to keep composure and sharp eyes. It doesn't take much for her to catch the sound of airs striking upon another pair a wings, she knows it all too well. A haunting collection of cruel pastime. They all behold the Sultana herself. Faelene wasn't sure which one of the Pegasus she loathed more. Nothing betrayed her cool thoughts, she stood by Lena undaunted, keeping both of the feathered in her sight. Larkspar,Déodat, and Lena's gracious and warm aura was assurance.

When the desert leader spoke her words sounded like total bullshit. Why was it their enemies always insisted they did not want things to worsen? They didn't want any of this? They were the spark and tinder, and their own reckless actions proved that. It was made clear they would not simply let them the unicorns go, and Faelene was already making points in her mind. How close they were all were, and there was no Aurelius yet. If a fight occurred it would endanger him surely, and there was no promise Elizabeth would be able to go free. Decisions, decisions. There was on idea Faelene had as a backup plan instead of exchanging wounds. It was something to be a last resort. Lena, thank the Gods for her, she knew what to say and made a good point and so sweet in the chords of her voice when she answered them. The red maned could not wait to what they would say. Likely a rude snap of answers. Faelene awaited, needing only one good reason to protect her diplomat.

Larkspur Posts: 33
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.1 :: 4 Buff: NOVICE
Bluey

l a r k s p u r         
Loose ends, they tangle down and then take flight.

The midnight and ivory creature came plummeting out of the sky in a fury of feathers and wind, sending a great cloud of dust up at the gathered crowd, causing Larkspur to blink against the fine silt as it invaded her senses even more than it already had, chomping her jaw in distaste at the granules of sand that crunched between her teeth. She does not respond to his show of strength as he settles himself between the stolen Elizabeth and Faelene, but rather remains an unwavering statue of the deepest blue against the vivid red of the desert sand. She does miss the brief glance of this winged stranger as he speaks and assesses their little band, and she makes sure to meet his sky blue eyes with her own aureate gaze, her intent clear, burning and smoldering beneath the canvas of her silent resolve, the only warning she will offer.

He would be unwise to discount any of them.

She can sense Déodat as he draws nearer, lingering at her shoulder, a wraith encased in crimson, radiant indigo eyes veiled by strands of obsidian silk. She can feel his discontent, the same restless hatred that roils and churns like a storm in her own heart is likely present in his as well. Hatred and abhorrence, animosity and loathing, linger like a disease, creeping their way into the crevices of the soul, crawling across expanse of the mind, slashing, tearing and leaving nothing but broken tranquility and ruined serenity in their wake. They must not be brash though, for to let such feelings of incensed ineptitude to overcome them now would be a dangerous, a most grievous fault to make in the presence of enemies and foreign foes. Too much depended on this meeting ending in friendly terms of amity and armistice. To let tempers rise to the surface, snapping, spitting and venomous would be nothing short of a disaster.

Sultana Kri, whom Larkspur had only heard of, was shortly behind the arrival of her brethren. She too blustered and blew in on the drafts of the winds, plunging out of the clear desert air and landing amongst them all, her wings cracking, snapping and sounding against the strains of gravity, her hooves clattering in a maddening cadence against the deep red earth. Larkspur could feel her presence immediately, commanding and imposing in a manner that seemed odd given the Sultana’s small stature, but even the cerulean mare knew better than to discount a fellow warrior because of size. What truly mattered was the size of their heart. Continuing to remain in a respectful, dignified silence, Larkspur appraised the situation as Kri spoke her cordial welcomes, golden eyes keen and calculating beneath the shrouded cover of the dark forelock that fell messily across the sharp contours of her face. She looked again to Azzuen as his name was mentioned, tucking it securely away into her memory for safe keeping as Lena began to speak. Larkspur’s friend spoke in tones of sincere kindness and undeniable earnestness, extending her offer of a peaceable end to this lunacy with practiced poise and unfettered composure. Larkspur stood in quiet agreement beside the diplomat, motionless and looming, ambiguity unrevealing of the hatred that lingered just beneath it. If the bay unicorn could not convince these wild wind walkers to see the madness behind their method, then no one could.

Image Credits

Elizabeth Posts: N/A
Unregistered
[ooc- I probably won't make it to this thread today or tonight because I'm at Disney World, so if you wish to skip me go right ahead. With pleasure you can say Elizabeth eye's Deodat coldly because he is putting her rescue in danger with his racism though she completely understands, but she is arrogant so feels he needs to hush it. She agrees with Falene. When Azzuen comes in she can snort and aim to land bugers in his hair (lol) and then you can just call her silent from then. Sorry guys! VACA!!!(: lol]

Deceased
Whit

Another comes, this one a hardened warrior - Azzuen can see it, the posture, the confidence, the hatred with which he orchestrates his every move. It would be foolish for Azzuen to discount the mares as non-threats, for he had seen two of them on a battlefield, but he couldn't help but feel his hair raise on end as he considered the harsh, steely stare of this stallion. Masking his discomfort, the charcoal brute allowed a smirk, bordering on taunting, to curl the contours of his lips, growing only deeper, more permanent as the tell-tale signs of another set of wings approaching caused the winds to change, increase and bring forth his leader.

The steed ignored the prisoner for the most part, he was satisfied enough to see that she knew she would not be walking away so easily. The whereabouts of their other prisoner would be kept hidden, until such a time as they earned their freedom. Azzuen breathed, looking to each of the gathered with sharp, keen eyes, whose hue seemed to be turning more icy by the second. Kri landed, and he did nothing more than flick an ear to her - he didn't need to view her to know where she stood, both physically and morally. They were comrades, allies, friends - Kri had become something of a sister to him, and he a protective brother. He needn't worry about her scorn against him, today, at least.

Kri echoes his sentiments, addressing the horned one who holds a cordial tongue herself, the bay miss who would carve colourful words from any dire situation. She posed questions that rustle curious thoughts to swell, awakened more unanswered questions, opened infinitely more doorways to confusion, politics and the honour involved in alliances, trusts, covenants. Azzuen nodded, a small, modest gesture, his eyes only wavering in their guarded watch of the gathered unicorns, flickering from horn to horn, never allowing the situation to fall to a more relaxed state - it was the gentle lull of Lena's voice that would lower their guard, creep through their security, and prove their ruin - but Azzuen would not allow it.

He acknowledged the words through his small nod, but did not proffer his own in response -such politics were best left to one more qualified, one with a more poetic tongue than his own, one who would efficiently eradicate the hopes these unicorns might possess. Friction was a side effect of keeping common foes, time would tell whether this friction would lead to an explosive fire, or would the coarse surfaces smooth over, and a kinship be forged? Azzuen snorted, knowing already the more likely outcome.

larfsalot.deviantart.com

Déodat Posts: 174
Absent Abyss atk: 3.5 | def: 10 | dam: 7
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17 hands :: 12 HP: 67.5 | Buff: NOVICE
Odette :: White German Shepherd :: None Minx

He remembered them flying out of reach, cowards lingering among the circling bald-necked buzzards that waited to feed on death and decay. And they had.

Déodat stood alone now, the wind in his hair and sand scraping the back of his throat.

But it hadn’t always been that way. There had once been his clan—a mighty, noble clan. His home, his life, his light. But there was no light, here. Only darkness. It wreathed his blood red shoulders in a mocking cloak of a king (wasn’t this what you always wanted, Déodat?), holding him in a close embrace, smelling of decay and death, and there was no light.

One could have all of the armor in the world, fine-crafted and custom-fit, but that made the heart no less of a vulnerable organ. It was not his scars or old battle wounds that ached, but his heart. He felt the pain there most, an agonizing pain he had never felt before. He was hollow now, but it was a terrible, aching, gaping hollowness, and his heart was fashioned of broken shards of glass and bone, ever-colliding. And now he did not go a moment without feeling, and he wished it were he that had died that day.

It should have been me.

He hated them. Or was it war, that he hated so?
It didn't matter.
He hated himself even more.

And even to this day, as a new buzzard with wild blonde hair circled above the small company and swept to an abrupt landing opposite Lena, the rage scorched his heart hotter than even the desert sun, the fire in his stomach rising like terrible, writhing serpents, snapping sparks and heat. His gaze flickered swiftly between the two pegasus, his dark gaze never lingering on one for too long. She spoke to him, the proud mare with the blue eyes. But Déodat disregarded her entirely, her words glancing off him like a blow gone awry, and he did little more than sweep his cold gaze over her sturdy, compact figure, noting possible strengths and weaknesses.

One word, however, slipped past his carefully constructed barriers, looming before him like a gaping chasm.

Home.

He remembered standing on the cliff that black day, alone and hating everything, overlooking the aftermath of the slaughter, staring at the feathered beasts prancing through the carnage as the dry wind rattled his hair and the foul stench of death overwhelmed his senses. His ruby red skin was still stained with the blood of his brothers, his sisters, his kin, and the sky-born beasts that had slaughtered everything he had ever known. That day, fire fell in place of the northern snow, and where clan children had once caught snowflakes on their tongues, ash coated his mouth, his throat, burned his eyes. He remembered bleeding raw and red, and the acid tears that would not fall blinded him.

Now, everything was a pale, listless gray, washed and faded.

Lena's gentle voice stroked his consciousness, as it had that day in the hot spring when he'd lain dizzy and weak with infection. Her words were smooth and flowing, cool and sweet as mountain stream water. If anybody could convince the feathered-beasts to return what was theirs, it would be Lena. With the silent Larkspur and the red-haired Faelene at his sides, Déodat found himself strangely comfortable in their presence. The mare he assumed they were here to rescue eyed him with an openly venomous gaze, and he replied with a cruel, twisted smirk. Unicorn kin or not, he couldn't care less if she was left to rot and die in this spit of desert land among the feathered bastards, for it was her own fault she'd landed herself in this mess. Besides, he was not here for her, and nor was it out of his sense of honor that he joined this mission.

Whatever honorable Déodat that once existed had died alongside his clan in the mountains long ago.

déodat,

image credits
[Image: QV8O7HU.gif]
Cut from the cloth, of a flag that
Bears the name of "Battle Born"
con by aihnna@dA

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!
 Kri</style>

I could roll my eyes, but I feel as though that would only put me in a bad light instead of the circle-talkers in front of me. I regret speaking to the bay almost immediately, though she has calm words that are eloquently put in a respectful tone. She grabs at old wounds that have no relevance as of this moment, and that will have to be quickly ended. I do not nod, just hold her gaze and wait for her speech to come to a close. The other unicorns around her do not seem pleased by my words or presence, but smug as she speaks. It is the same biased glass they peer through. I do not claim innocence in terms of bias, but I noticed when things were relevant and when they were just fodder for my ears.

I nod once as she finishes but not one that signals agreement. The movement is a precursor to the words which slip out of my mouth. "Your words are facts that I cannot ignore, but you view them in a light that would paint my herd as the ones at fault while placing your own as completely free of responsibility," even tones, yet they are cutting in strength along with my cool gaze that reigns from my dark toned eyes. "I had personally returned Sno to her father, and the Frostheart had deemed that action enough to offer forgiveness. D'Artagnan was taken strategically to avoid his aid during the invasion of the Edge for our allies, and the attempts to capture King Mauja were the same. D'Artagnan was released as soon as you came to collect him, and Mauja was never held prisoner in this lands. Your bringing up healed wounds does nothing to prove to me our prisoners should be freely returned; in fact, it does the opposite.

"You may not hold any who find a home in the Throat, but my allies are my family as well. Your capture of Mirage and several others, along with the attempted ambushes, forced my hand when it came to planning to capture a few of your own ranks. Were it not for your band's barrage of ambushes, failed or not, we would never have taken your members prisoner here." I look at her for a moment, allowing my words to sink into an unusually thick skull. They had planned the same evil as my herd and I. They were not innocent. Aurelius and Elizabeth themselves had attempted stealths of my herd and allies. What other action should we have taken? "Again, I will ask. For what reason should I release prisoners of my home to beggars who have nothing to offer except a rehash of settled issues and falsely placed blame?"

She’d been struck down before, disarmed and left forlorn amongst the eternal decadence of nothingness, where realms splintered into shards of anguish, misery and desolation. She’d been barbed before, riddled with armaments of intrinsic, engrained treachery, duplicity, scarred by their nettles, scorched by their guile. She’d been left to dwindle before, the captive songbird in the lost splendor, grandeur, never allowed to chirp her favorite sonnets. The arts of such morose conjectures and sentiments had allowed a blossom to bloom in the entity of torment, heartache and despair, rustling and growing a most tender floret amongst a carnivorous siege, smiling in the threatening gloom, grinning in the presaged cruelty, and laughing in the machinated mayhem. Lena, nymph, sylph and fay, refused to be altered here by the course of wit and words, calculations brought forth long before her and her brethren entered the gritty sands. She persevered, like so many times prior, the enchanting, stalwart mist along the eternal abyss of suffering and salvation. She knew of strength, of undulating muscles and coiled, rippling sinew, of staunch leadership that crushed and embroiled each and every day, of pride and esteem, of dignity and honor, of what she lacked and what she contained within her own steadfast, reliable bounty. The General’s silence and Kri’s phrases didn’t hasten her departure, didn’t scrape her clean of any bravery, didn’t mold her valor into miniscule threads and pluck them away into the burning sky. It only prompted her further, prospered and desired, incensed the warm glow of her luminescent, regal fixture, radiant rapture thrown from the heavens. Determination piqued, awakened, the noble twist of her features stared into their eyes and flickered dedication, endurance and tenacity – if they thought to make her flee, to drive her away, to make her feel inferior and useless, they had not succeeded. Serene, tranquil, relaxed in the spires of tension and the minarets of hostility, she weaved and trilled the melodic quality to her voice again, sweet and ambrosial in the faces of looming risk. “Your barrages came well before our own and continue until this day. Strategy for warfare or not, they hold poignant memories. They are not irrelevant, but bear a hostile history.”

She paused, thinking of the companions behind her, beside her, forced and bound by the contract of kingdoms and regimes. They all followed orders, creeds set amongst the worlds and leaders – the same as the Dragon’s Throat members. Were they all that different? Were they really so altered? Didn’t the sand try to conquer? Didn’t the aurora try to claim victory? Didn’t these distorted empires run the same clamors, the same dins, to restore, renew, and grasp glory? “I do not place blame on either herd. We have been at odds for many seasons. What you see as vengeance, my herd sees as justice, and vice versa. It shall be a vicious circle.” Her honeyed gaze glanced from warrior to warrior, and continued in the same stead, the beguiling, bewitching dulcet tones of harmony and rapture. “However, I have no desire to see these conflicts go on any longer. I’m tired of losing my brethren, and you are weary of the same.” For, when would it all end? The Throat hastened to show their victimization as well, when each and every party remained guilty, and some individuals, not amongst the wicked frays, were torn, absconded and stolen from their realms. Why do we punish the undeserving? Why do we sell our souls for reverence? Why do we raise the rancor of so many bitter foes? Lena took one deep breath, cast her eyes upon the surroundings of dunes and dust, and brought the ardor of daring to the wiles of her aria. Her companions would likely disagree with these sentiments, but it would not be the first, nor the last time, she’d be altered from their ideals. She’d come with a purpose, and she’d kindle gestures unheard of in order to restore semblance of order to her home. “I can propose a discussion with our Lady Psyche – an armistice of sorts. You may come to the Basin peacefully with your escort,” She looked to the General, tossed her head towards his countenance, smiled when the heartfelt fancies of her phrase allowed her to continue, “and lay out the foundations of a truce. If the necessary conditions are met, you shall return those you hold prisoner.”

Deceased
Whit
[- Skip over Azz, he's still just standing there representing Kri's muscle-man. -]

Miltiades Posts: N/A
Unregistered
[Skip Elizabeth she can just stand around and watch as this is above her at the moment.]

Hidden Account
Sica

F A E L E N E
i want the friction

Smug? The Unicorns were not smug. Faelene did not feel that way, nor sensed that from her companions. They were only preparing themselves for a pathetic response, and to give Lena protection, support. None of them trusted the Throat any further than they could throw them, and she at least saw their own points of no worth. Faelene knew the Basin was not innocent, but the Throat had made it's own choices too and could not blow that horn either. Did it bother the chocolate draped leader to be painted in their own true form as nothing better? That taking their own captives did nothing? She could have come to her companions aid, she could have sent her own diplomats. It was news to the red maned she was bothered by it since she had not done anything herself. Family did not seem to mean the same thing to them.

The leader would continue to speak twisting it in her own mouth, as if their reasons were better, and made it all okay in what they had done. She really was saying the invasion was nothing, her turn of honor, their own captures were nothing? Stupid. As if three against one was not already in their favor, and yet they had felt the need to steal their warriors, to try to take their King long before it had started. It was like they were talking about other things, not stealing of homes or allies. The part of Mauja was what made her tighten her jaw. Just because he was never successfully captured meant they were untarnished? What kind of logic was that? They had stood against the Unicorns in the blood battle and these repercussions made no sense to them or what?

Faelene was wise and did not shoot her own remarks to the leader as much as she wanted to call her bluff, and point out the Throat couldn't act like this made better sense. It all seemed to give Lena that more strength, positive form to try harder, and remain unbothered. Faelene gave a single, soft glance merely proud and grateful for the thoughtful lady of many talents when she gathered a proposal. The red maned felt she was in the right to offer what she did, what else could they do? They were not here to start a battle, they were here to free their herd mates. Faelene moved a hoof, shifting her weight, while trying to gauge the leader's choice. A talk between Lady Psyche and this one could prove interesting as Psyche had escaped before her capture had likely served any purpose but to grow the rift. Well, and ruffle the Dragon's feathers because of their chosen consequences. But, if she really wanted this to cease taking a different approach would be a step to prove that, and make Kri's words worth something again. Faelene was sure they could argue about wrong, right, and excuses all day. It was time to do something. "I think we can all agree sanity, and peace for all members of our herds is what we both want right now. And if you really want things to change taking a different direction is much greater proof of your words than doing the same coarse of action expecting different results."

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!
 Kri</style>

"You cannot call forth the settled past to defend spontaneous aggression," I say as she speaks of our former barrages. I would not stand for her lies or impudent view of two completely separate situations. Their recent string of stealths had nothing, absolutely nothing, to do with ours launched previously. The only defense they held was that of past transgressions on our part. Apparently, in the face of these idiots who would not know the a spark from the flame, it was the same matter. However, it was not. "Aurelius and Elizabeth came to remain within my borders after we attempted to defend ourselves from becoming captives in the Basin. For your logic to work, I would have been expected to stand idly by as my allies and herd were put in danger by your kin to remain upon neutral terms with the Basin herd." My voice grows into one dangerous tone as I look at her. "To stand watch as my beloved family is thrown into danger to keep a false face of neutrality is unacceptable and complete horse shit. Surely you will at least agree with that."

Sweet, honeyed words could only carry one so far when the message is fractured and incomplete. I need not walk away blameless, but if it was anyone's fault for Basin members being held within my borders, it was the thieves who had taken my allies and tried to steal my very family from behind my back. I bore no ill-will toward this brave girl who spoke to try and free her comrades, but annoyance was beginning to flush through my skin, ears slowly tilting back as I fight the urge to gnash my teeth at the redundancy and nullity of her argument. Finally, the mare cuts through some of the crap and gets to a point I can actually agree upon. We are both weary souls, tired of fighting. "Aye," I say, my voice quiet and calm. "We are tired." No matter how tired, I was still doomed to continue fighting. If there were no immediate threats, however, perhaps I could catch my breath.

Lady Psyche. My ear flicks back uncertainly, as I think that surely Psyche would be the one who would be the most unwilling to make a truce. However, I had a feeling that Lena did not come here without the queen of her land knowing. The mare with the red mane speaks next, and I nod at her words, my face contemplative. I look toward Azzuen, who still stands stark between Elizabeth and the others. "Gather Aurelius," I say to him, my voice solemn. "The prisoners will return to their home with their kin and me." My dark eyes flicker back toward Lena's face, voice steady. "I will speak to your Lady. I believe the return of your brethren should melt any iceberg on her shoulder to a manageable size."

A gruff, masculine smile on my lips, perhaps the most friendly expression the bay mare will ever see from me.

[ OOC: to the Basin? ]