the Rift

A damp arrival [open]

Anzac Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
I come from a place where water was often treated as more precious than gold, more valuable than oil; where one could wander across a desert chasing mirages for days without a drink, where water fell from the skies so fast and heavy that soon it was rising up from underneath you, swallowing you up, where water flowed along riverbeds and creeks at a happy pace, and one could race a stick floating atop it; I once lived in a realm whose very existence depended upon the availability of this fickle substance. And now I find myself, surrounded by it.

Days had passed, at least, that was all the stallion could assume. He was exhausted, his stomach was full of the dirty, murky, saline liquid, his lungs burned with the effort of keeping him oxygenated, his eyes wept dry tears that combined with the abysmal depths below. The sound of waves crashing thrashed against his eardrums, a constant ringing pounded at his cranium, but somehow, he had felt something different beneath his feet, something tangible. Is this my death? he wondered, not knowing what death was supposed to feel like and so open to questioning when it would come upon him. For surely death would find him before anything else did.

But death did not find him first, rather, a beach did. Or did he find the beach? Or was it something else entirely, not the water, nor the steed, but a greater entity that delivered him upon the white sand of the Endless Blue? Endless it was not, for he had come from there, somewhere, somehow, through the mystical gates of Helovia that existed in the great blue beyond. The crimson beast collapses once the water is no longer present to keep his bodice buoyant, vaguely he sees the pale sand that he rests his crown upon, sand that is not dissimilar to the hue of his flaxen tresses. Though he did not have a mane at this point, it having been freshly docked in preparation for his delivery to new owners, his forelock did grow and obscure his chocolate eyes from viewing the world.

He could not lift his crown, he was lucky that his sides rose and fell with breath. He felt numb, everything was cold, and yet there was a burning heat roaring from above, scorching his pink nose and causing him to squint behind chestnut lashes. He knew of sunlight, his homeland was labelled a sunburnt country after all, even the sands of the deserts within Australia were red – red like the stallion’s very pelt. He knew of vast coastlines as well – had he returned to the land who were shipping him away, for what he understood was a large sum? It meant little difference to him, only a different handler with a different tongue to bring him feed and drag him around an event.

With a grunt his flaxen tail lifted from the ground, counterbalancing the effort of his crown lifting also. He struck the sandy beach with a shaky foreleg, unable to rustle the other one yet. He shivered still, his insides still hadn’t quite recovered their normal temperature or sensory abilities. Snorting, he was not surprised that he found his airways damp and heavy with mucus, his breath was raspy – but hell, he was breathing. Deep, never-ending cocoa eyes peered about, looking for something he did not even know – he was lost. Testing the still air with his crimson nostrils, he wondered at the scents he smelt, unaware of just what he had been delivered into. After his breathing had settled a little, he found himself less unstable, and somehow, managed to get all four feet supporting his masculine frame. It was not without wobble, but it was there, at least.

Drenched, half cloaked in sand, the chestnut steed stood, unknowing of his surrounds, and utterly perplexed.

Aylin Posts: 89
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.0 :: 3
ali

I hate the Tallsun. The heat of the day was, as always, unbearable. It was one of the reasons I preferred to sleep the days away under the shade of a tree and roam at night. Unfortunately my mother had awoken me this morning, insisting that I not continue to sleep everyday. I think she's worried because she thinks I sleep so much. I tell her that there's really nothing to worry about, but she still does. Because I'm not one to argue with either of my parents, I did as my mother said and got up. I wandered away from her intent on finding shade somewhere else to sleep. Somewhere cool and out of the sun's burning heat.

The search brought me onto the shores of the Endless Blue. The breeze that blew was refreshing, but there was little shade to be had. Maybe today was just going to be one of those days when I didn't get to sleep through the heat. I'd just have to suffer through it, but what better place than the beach? When the heat became too much I could always take a dip and cool myself off.

My tiny hooves carried me toward the water, but the sudden appearance of another horse forced me to stop. He was red like my mother and my brother. Red like the sun. There was no bad aura rolling off of him, so I walked a little closer before stopping again.

"Hello." I wondered if he'd even hear me. The look on his face was enough to make me suspect that he was in a daze. "Where did you come from?"

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
Two few places, too much time. Despite my professed residency within Helovia, I had not yet thoroughly pushed the limits of its borders, and it still offered my senses a plethora of experiences I could dip my tongue in and taste. The recent introduction to Asur reminded me of this, for while I was able to lead him through my new residency, the truth was there were some places even I found myself unfamiliar. As a longtime traveler and self-proclaimed keeper of secrets, it was shameful that I had yet to uncover more of the secrets Helovia held against her bosom.

It was a mistake I determined to rectify as soon as possible. The first step, I had decided, would be to explore the offerings of the Ocean.

I could smell the sea before I saw it, could feel the strong trade winds tugging at my mane and dancing with my tail. The squabble of seabirds greeted my arrival, their voices echoing across the Endless Blue as they went about their business, fighting and foraging, diving into the sparking waves to find fresh fish for their young. Long strides carried me under the sun and onto the sand, my nostrils flared to take in the burning salty air, dark eyes bright in the summer sun. I continued towards the water, until finally I reached it, and then deeper, sighing contentedly as it lapped against my knees. Ah, yes, this was beauty at its simplest, its finest, its most natural. The serenity calmed me, soothed the turmoil that had been churning within my soul since... well, I found myself relaxing as I plodded through the rising waves. All was right.

The plank was the first sign that I was wrong.

A piece of wood with lines so precise had no place in nature; curiosity grew in me, interest piqued by the discovery. I wandered onwards, faster now, closer to the shore. More unusual bits and pieces lay washed up by the tides, unusual and intriguing. Hooves picked up into a trot, then a canter, ebon hooves kicking up sand from the white beach. Mane and tail were yanked violently as I moved, the wind tearing at them and streaming down my spine - at least the breeze offered some relief from the otherwise oppressive heat. Hazy figures came into view, a stallion standing before a foal. Perhaps they would know what caused the strange debris to appear on the shoreline.

I shifted my pace, bringing my speed down as I neared them. Gaze was sent ahead of my quick approaching figure. I could make out a small filly, her colors mirroring my own save for the crescent of white that slashed my rump, and the back of a stud, a sun-faded orange with dull flaxen patches and a great white splatter of paint upon the nearest me. Now two lengths from them, I slowed to a walk, coming around from the side of the chestnut stallion to inspect the lonely pair. "Greetings," came the call, between light pants, low and curious. "Would you two know- oh, dear, what happened to you?"

For now I could see that the dullness of the stallion's coat came from the sand that coated much of his form, and the exhaustion that tore at every line of his form. A gaze was offered to the little one, my expression attempting to reflect reassurance, a small smile offered before I diverted my attention back to the traveler. Despite the gravity of the situation, I found excitement welling in my chest at the realization that the stallion must be connected to the intriguing mess that littered the beach. What story did he have to tell, this rusty steed? As I cast my gaze over him, I found my thoughts returning to another flame-drenched stallion. I did seem to have a strange knack for finding the wounded and the weak.