the Rift

Mother Knows Best [Psyche, Open]

Tolio Posts: 110
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.3hh :: 6 Years 8 Months Buff: NOVICE
Brit

Wandering. 

That was Tolio's past time. Phaedra's betrayal and sudden disappearance had left his heart bleeding and mind scrambled. He still didn't understand what he had done so terribly wrong to drive her to such a point. Whatever it was, he would go back and fix it in an instant if he could. Faelene's protectiveness over him had been surprising but welcomed. He loved her very dearly, would do anything for her. That's why he stayed. In this land of racism and cruelty. But it was strange. They were all true to themselves. There was no deceit in the Aurora herd. They wore their racism like a badge of honor, didn't hide behind false masks unless it was needed. In a sick twisted way it was almost honorable. 

Long legs swept through the sparse grass and ever present snow, head high but not proud. Did he know where he was going? Not a clue. Did he care? No yet again. He didn't leave, didn't want to. Faelene was all he had now, as it seemed Phaedra had left and wasn't returning. A dull throb reminded him of the emptiness he felt, of the fact that he shouldn't think about her. Mauja, the King he stood for and swore by, had disappeared. Tolio had never sworn himself to Psyche, and now stayed only for Faelene. But what now? What did he hope to achieve? 

Where to now?

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil

She had never truly met the chestnut steed before her now, nor had she really any desire to. By now, she had acquainted herself with most of the herd, and she had heard some rather... interesting things about Tolio. She knew of him, of course, as he had known Mauja, had been around before. She had seen him, as she was sure he had seen her. But he had never sought out her company, and she had never sought his. To her eyes, he seemed a bit too fragile for her needs, not vindictive enough to be useful. He was simply there.

But she had decided that she would at least formally introduce herself to everyone, and so here she was.

It was around midday. The sun shone from high in the blue half-sphere above them, lighting the valley and sending light waves of heat. It would never get hot in the Basin, in their location deep in the ice-riddled mountains, but it would get warm, and today it would have been this save for the gentle breeze that coasted off the peaks and into the depths of their home. It caught in her adorned banner, sending threads into a swirling tangle of hair, feathers, and teeth. Heaving a deep sigh, she pushed herself easily into a trot. "Oh, Tolio!" she called jovially, turning his name into an intricately flowing thing that simply rolled off the tongue, somewhere between teasing and flirting. She slowed to a halt before him, offering a too-sweet smile that didn't touch her dangerous eyes. "I don't believe we have been properly introduced, darling. I am Psyche."

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Deceased
Brit

It was as if every trace of flamboyance had been destroyed inside of Tolio. Where had his beloved bunny side gone? Now he felt like an empty shell, bitter and hardened by the cold of the Basin. Wishing to go to Mauja, the King he respected so deeply. Who else could he go to after all? Faelene was trying her hardest to comfort him, but it wasn't her area as nice as it was. Their spar had been wrecked, and his joy at winning had been crushed by Phaedra's manipulation and cutting words. He was numb inside, thoughts nothing but white noise. That's why it was so easy for him to detect the appearance of the inky leader that approached. Turning as she called out his name, twisting in a way he'd never heard. Face tightening as the wound on his neck, inflicted by Faelene during their spar, throbbed in protest. It was a terrible sight on his neck but he couldn't care less. Appearance no longer meant much to him now. 

Mercury eyes were attracted to the feathers in her mane. Normally his stomach would recoil but today he simply sighed internally. Eyes remained cold even as she greeted him in an almost cheery manner. Tolio bowed his white blazed face, low and respectful. "Lady Psyche. It appears we haven't. As you know I'm Tolio." Wry grin touching his lips as he recalled her calling out his name in a- dare he say it? Seductive way. Grin fell away back to vapid stare. "I apologize, Mistress. I've been wronged and am not myself. If I may be so bold as to ask, how has the Basin been? I came here for Mauja as a soldier, but have not reclaimed my position yet. I have been sparring with my fellow kin, Faelene to keep up. I'd like to join as one again, if you would tell me what I should do. I require something physical to rid my mind of this plague." Unable to hide a grin at the word choice. Sparring, or at least having duties again, was exactly what he needed. He felt crumpled and hateful, and hated to appear so before Psyche. Right now he hated the world and everyone in it. Why would Phaedra be so cruel, to both him and Faelene? And when he'd met Thayne, Avira had been instantly prejudiced and cruel even if she had retracted her words later. Finally his mouth twisted to a sneer, and he tilted his head downwards to hide it. What had he even done to them? Absolutely nothing! So why did he keep making excuses for them? Why did they keep hurting him when he hadn't done anything?

[[Tolio is pretty messed up right here ;__; haha. But he's also very bitter and impressionable. Have fun!]]

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

He grinned ever so briefly, but his expression soon fell into a vacant gaze, devoid of all emotion. This was not the stallion that she had expected to encounter. From what she had heard, she had expected a cheerful disposition, a flamboyant nature; why the change? Curiosity was piqued; could she use this to gain his trust, his loyalty? Would he even be capable of believing what she did? Would he be any use to her, if she were able to return him to his old self? Surely he would be grateful, if not granting her fealty, and that would assist her in gaining the trust of the herd, would it not? One at a time, she would win them all over.

"I apologize, Mistress. I've been wronged and am not myself. If I may be so bold as to ask, how has the Basin been? I came here for Mauja as a soldier, but have not reclaimed my position yet. I have been sparring with my fellow kin, Faelene to keep up. I'd like to join as one again, if you would tell me what I should do. I require something physical to rid my mind of this plague." He grinned, and she gave him a sharp look. He was not one of hers; did he know how closely his word choice had struck to home? Surely not; surely it was simply coincidence. But it was something to mull over later, to consider looking into the loyalties of her followers, to look into how nosy some of her herd could be in matters that were not theirs to investigate. Faelene, it seemed, should be at the top of her list.

But for now, she had work to do. "The Basin has been doing well, thank you," she told him, silently adding, Which you would know, had you been around as you ought to have been, soldier. "Our road is not without bumps, but we shall overcome, as we always have. Your interest in regaining old ranks is well-met, my dear. I would have you continue training at once." She offers a smile, though it does not reach her eyes. "But, might I ask, who has wronged you so, darling? I can't imagine anyone wishing you anything but the best."

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Deceased
Brit

T o l i o
more than meets the eye

Dark face seems stormy, and Tolio knows he has said something either wrong or definitely out of line. He can't bring himself to care. So long as Faelene is safe he didn't care what she planned with him. But what if he had placed Faelene in trouble? Cursing his mouth he didn't say any more. He'd already been foolish, all he did was screw things up. Trying to brush those thoughts away he focused once more on Psyche.

At least he could return to being a soldier. "It is good to know my suspicions are correct. Being a citizen doesn't grant me much to do, nor knowledge of the herd other than petty gossip. I will gladly return to my former position with your blessing, my Lady." Bowing his head momentarily. Already he was eager to take up his title as soldier again. Perhaps then he could get over the bitterness inside placed by Phaedra. Her kind inquiry doesn't fool him. Her eyes are cold as ice and hard as stone even as a smile stretches her face. Even so her words bring the bubbling of rage back up to the surface and he is drawn to his full height, mercury eyes dark. "I was foolish. I extended friendship to a pegasus, under the impression that is all it would ever be. I am not inclined towards the female figure but she apparently refused to accept this. Hoping I would feel the same for her. She accused me of many things I never did. Manipulated me to believe somehow that it was my fault. When she was injured far from these lands she blamed me for not protecting her!" Anger rose and voice deepened to a growl. It was easier to feel hateful instead of hurt. Perhaps it wasn't the right thing to do. But right then he hated her for breaking him down like that. "She made a mockery of me. If I had known this would happen I wouldn't have said a word to her. What I saw when we first met is not what I saw later on." It was an ugly, unattractive side of her. One he didn't want to see ever again. But...which side was the real side of her?

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

She would have to be better actress in the future. She knew that her smile was false, and she was sure that he did, too - for if she could feel the fake emotion on her face, surely others would be able to see it. Even so, her attempted kindness appears to release some of the stallion's anger, and she is pleased to see such rage exit the system of one so hopelessly cheerful, by all accounts. This was her chance, to act, to draw him in, over to her side. This was a second chance, to be honest, in their conversation. She had failed to act once; she would not do so again.

"I was foolish," he began. "I extended friendship to a pegasus, under the impression that is all it would ever be. I am not inclined towards the female figure but she apparently refused to accept this. Hoping I would feel the same for her. She accused me of many things I never did. Manipulated me to believe somehow that it was my fault. When she was injured far from these lands she blamed me for not protecting her!" His words might be the cause of a raised brow, at a different time, if she were allowing her natural reactions to appear. He had attempted to befriend an inferior, the stupid lad. But she kept her face clean of emotion, instead offering a sympathetic hum. He continued on, clearly needing to rant, clearly furious and injured.

She knew she could use it, if she acted well. She knew that she could plant the seed of doubt in the steed's mind. "You have indeed been wronged," she told him softly. "No one deserves to be lied to or affronted in such a manner. It seems that she was either very confused or very manipulative, or perhaps she was both. Either way, I am sure that you did nothing to warrant such treatment." It was simple enough, and her tone was devoid even of her usual condescension. That was much better.

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Deceased
Brit

T o l i o
more than meets the eye

If he were not so distraught, the bloody steed would be a bit more hesitant telling Psyche he had befriended a Pegasus in the first place. People did stupid things when they were angry, and for quite possibly the first time in his life the quirky coltish male was enraged. It hid the wounded heart that was much too weak to keep going without a proper purpose. One of the reasons he had been driven to ask Psyche about reclaiming his Soldier title. The spar with Faelene had been great and he wanted to do it again. And again and again until he could no longer think, and the only thin left behind was raw power and the heat of battle. 

What he didn't expect was Psyche's reaction. She never once interrupted him, letting his anger flow out before she spoke. Once soft silver eyes were shattered and hard as he looked to her, gentle hum catching his attention. Smooth velvet voice sympathizing with him. Never once seeming cruel for his decision. And whether Tolio was conscious of it or not, he was powerless to this kind of approach. He fell for it, nodding along to her words. "Thank you, Lady Psyche." Words soft and determined, if sincere. "I won't make such a mistake again. Why did this happen?" And if his anger wavered a little at that last sentence he didn't care. She'd worked her magic. Had it been him? Or Phaedra? A mix of them? Was it because of her personality, or his actions?

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

She hadn't known that she had it in her, to be honest, and so her success with the steed came as a mild surprise. He seemed to calm, to focus under her calming demeanor. It was interesting, the off power that sympathetic words gave her. It was something to keep in mind, for the future. For a moment, she visualized the opportunities she would be granted: gaining the trust of inferiors, to lure them into a trap, perhaps; or even to simply make her subjects love her, as all good subjects should. Faelene's words, once a heated warning, replayed in her mind, relaying the reasons why diplomacy may work in her favor. Perhaps the red-maned fae was useful, after all.

"Thank you, Lady Psyche," he said, snapping her out of her reverie. Keen orbs focused on his face, so eager. Such an easy target. Anger made one so open, so malleable. "Why did this happen?" She tilted her head to one side, regarding him with a somewhat thoughtful gaze. He would likely think that she was pondering a proper response, and in a way, she was - but where he might assume she searched for the right words, she was really only trying to find a response that would further endear him to her. She couldn't tell the truth of course - that he was an idiot for believing he could befriend an inferior without suffering the consequences, it was a laughable notion - but what could she say?

"Perhaps... everything must happen for a reason. Would you have sought to be a soldier so valiantly had your friend not angered you? I doubt it." Orbs held his. "Perhaps her actions were meant, in the grand scheme of things, to redirect your attentions. To give you purpose."

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Deceased
Brit

T o l i o
more that meets the eye

Anger may have helped the hurt, but it also made him feel anxious. He needed to move, do something. It was what had driven him to beseech Psyche for the opportunity to have his position as soldier back. Whatever kept him as far away from Phaedra as possible and kept her face and memory away from him. He wanted the beating of hooves on his hide, the sting of teeth and the scrape of horns. It kept him alive, kept his heart beating. His father's blood had gifted him with the abilities he needed, even if he had gone a bit rusty. Nevertheless once he'd resumed his position that would fade away and he would be fit as before. Ready and willing to take orders from his Lady for the benefit of the herd.

Her dark eyes flickered away as if in thought. He felt momentarily insulted that she believed he wouldn't have asked her for his former position if Phaedra hadn't driven him to it. Letting it slide for he was in no position to go against her. What followed calmed his injured pride, kept him from saying things that would surely get him in a bad situation. Silver eyes calmed as she continued to speak, head dipping in a small nod. "Perhaps you're right, my Lady. She's done me a cruel sort of favor, though she will never get my thanks." Crimson tail slapped against his hocks furiously at the thought, but he said nothing more on the subject.

[[That was terrible ;~;]]

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

It was an odd ability, to be able to mold them as she pleased. This, she realized, was why Faelene had urged diplomacy, why the FrostHeart had hidden his racism behind a cool facade. It was easy, when you gained their trust, to bend them to your will. Particularly when they were so vulnerable. Tolio had faced rejection, had been sent away by a very dear friend (a mental snort of disgust), and had returned home seeking a purpose, seeking someone to confide in. And here she was, just waiting for the opportunity.

She felt as though she were seeing the world through new eyes. How wonderful it would be to put this lesson to use! What had she been working towards, after all, with all this fake diplomacy, if not the ability to manipulate people as she saw fit? And, why, it was so easy! Deceit dripped like honey from her tongue, and they never knew the wiser - she wondered if it wasn't somehow connected to her ascent to the throne (after all, she had never tried it before), but somehow she suspected it had always been present. After all, Riekahn the Crimson King had gained allies somehow, had he not? He would have had to have learned this same lesson.

Tolio seemed calmer now, but almost dejected. She wondered, briefly, what would help him - perhaps getting back to his work. He didn't seem talkative now, not after his rather explosive outburst, but then, she could be wrong, being new to the whole acting-friendly charade. "You are not happy," she observed, amber gaze never wavering from the stallion. "What do you desire most, my soldier?"

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.