the Rift

Skyfall (Open)

Esker Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Esker
Flying on silverwings

Weary but excited, Esker circled in an updraft of air. Off in the distance, she could see a forest, with horses peaking out from between the mighty trees. Her snowy wings rippled in the air that buffeted her, and although it was painful not to blink, she was too excited to see the other horses to close her golden eyes that sparkled with excitement.
She folded her wings for a moment, to lose a bit of altitude, but then opened them again and allowed herself to glide.
Oh, she was at home in the air. She found no more pleasure in anything in life than the feel of the clouds caressing her, and glimpsing a sunset from the sky.
The forest was approaching fast, so Esker tilted her wings back slightly and braced herself for the rush of air that hit her. She beat her wings rapidly, slowing herself and allowing herself to lose more altitude. She pitched forward, as if preparing to land a jump, and touched down to the ground. She folded her wings and broke into an unsteady, but speedy, canter and rounded on the edge of the forest. Although the other horses seemed to have moved away, she picked her way into the trees, undaunted, and released a high-pitched whinny.

"'Ello?" she called loudly. "Is anyone there?"

Her silver skin rippled. She heard nothing. She was suddenly very aware that no birds were singing, and hoped that it was her appearance that quieted them, and not another, more menacing being.

Amadeus Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Amadeus

Things were not going well in the Foothills, he reflected, his normally cheerful mood dampened by serious thoughts. First, the leader he had been fond of, Paladin, had stepped down from his post and vanished, leaving three new leaders in his place. Shortly after, the equine chief had proved too hotheaded to be a proper lord, and so he had replaced as well. Then, the devastating capture of their pegasus chieftess had led to yet another new lord, a young stallion who barely seemed old enough for such responsibility. No, things were not going well at all. Amadeus found himself wondering if it would be better for the herd if only one horse were in charge, rather than three. That was how the other herds lived, after all, and they seemed far more stable than the ever-changing Foothills leads.

Yet, he had no power to change they way his herd was run, knew that such action might throw his family into a civil war. Instead, he did his duty, bring new members home to swell their ranks. Sometimes, Amadeus wasn't certain he was doing the right thing in guiding newcomers to such a conflicted place, but he supposed any home was better than none.

It wasn't always easy, being the diplomat.

A loud whinny cut through his thoughts, as did a feminine voice. Despite his misgivings about the future of the Foothills, he turned to find the speaker. It was just against his gentle nature to leave someone out here alone without first offering assistance.

It didn't take him long to find the pegasus, now that he knew to look for her. With a smile, he stepped out from the trees, moving slowly to avoid startling the mare. "I’m here, if you’d like my company. Is there anything I can help you with, miss?”

Esker Posts: N/A
Unregistered

Esker
Flying on silverwings

Esker whipped around and her ears pricked with surprise as another horse, a stallion, approached her. As he seemed friendly enough, true to form, Esker let her guard down.
Ever trusting, she was.
She lowered her head submissively, as a sign of respect, before speaking.
"'Ello good sir," she said softly. "'I must admit that I was terribly frightened for a moment there. I am grateful for your approach. Indeed, I have a question. Where am I?" she nickered.
Slowly, birdsong began to fill the air again, as Esker relaxed and allowed her faith to go out to this stallion.

It had been so long since she had been in the company of another horse. It was a good feeling, to be seen and to see.
She thought back to her past. She did not begrudge her father for ushering her away, because she knew that the herd was going through a tough time. She did not know how much she was going to miss them.