the Rift

Better than yourself [open]

Ahriman Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

silver's meant to burn forever

[Ares, Eris and Ahriman.]

So this is snow, the real deal, as far as the eye can see. In my childish state I am nothing short of amazed at the vastness of this place, though I have soon forgotten what it is called. With dainty steps, I walk forward on long limbs, tiny hooves sinking in as the top layers of snow melt at the touch. I am barely a couple of months old, but my adventurous trait has caused me to wander from my dam, as it will on many occasions in the future. As to not drive her into exasperation, it was decided that Ahriman should follow us, to protect us. I look at him with my electric blue gaze and I do not find the yearling to be much of a guardian; I do not see what he could really do if someone set out to hurt us. Not that I really care; my knowledge of this world and the evils it has in store is very limited.

My bright orange mane stands out clearly in the landscape, and I soon take the lead of our little flock of three, eager to be first to everything. The tip of a tiny horn has broken through my skin by a couple of weeks ago and I carry my crown proudly to show it off; little do I know that in these regions, a horn may mean the difference between life and death. Every now and then, I stumble, for my balance is not quite as sturdy as that of my sister. It frustrates me, that she should be able to run faster and better than me. Taking a cheeky glance backwards, I throw myself forward into a wild gallop, whinnying loudly for sister to follow suit.

The gilded child that follows suit behind her twin is less rambunctious in her behavior. Lavender pools glance around her with slight boredom in their depths, not especially excited to stand in snow above her knees. Unlike Ares, she feels the cold as it comes creeping, chilling her to the bone. A shiver runs through her and she flaps her tiny, orange-tipped wings in discomfort, before folding them neatly on her back. When she learned to fly, she would never have to walk in snow again, she promised herself as much. Despite her hardships, the filla moved with a considerable grace for her age, though the image was thoroughly spoiled by the lankiness of her appearance.

Eris watched with obvious disapproval on her face when her twin set forward galloping, hollering. What was he thinking, did he want to get in trouble? Rolling her eyes, she thought about letting him run, but then the special twin-bond compelled her to be close to him, so the palomino girl soon set after, gaining ground on Ares slowly but steadily. It did not occur to her to look back and see if Ahriman was coming too; her older brother did little more than annoy her these days. If she could shake him off, at least this trip would have an element of excitement to it, instead of just being cold and wet.

Her orange-haired brother soon slowed when she reached his side, and they trotted merrily along, Eris nibbling softly at her brother’s sprouting mane. Tiny lips graced the black feather that sat there; she had been gifted one exactly the same at their birth, and she carried it with pride. It was a token of their unity. The unnatural warmth of Ares’ body soothed her bad temper slightly, and the filly even started peering around curiously, to see if someone had heard them.

He had got his work cut out for him, that was certain. At this point, the ghostly pale yearling had somewhat come to regret his offer to babysit. But mother needed some time to herself; anything he could do to relieve her was good. Having twins was not easy, and these twins in particular seemed extremely hard work, Ahriman thought. Or, maybe it was just because they were his siblings. The pearlescent youth had no trouble keeping up with the babies, but the snow did not appeal to him. As a child of summer, he loved the blistering sun and warm zephyrs of that season; not the icy cold of winter. Sighing, he watched the two palomino rumps that were moving ahead of him. Sometimes, he couldn’t help but feel terribly plain in the company of those two, with their crazy colors and extra appendages. Ahriman did not know it, but he was turning into quite a beautiful little yearling himself, with thick, pale lashes framing his expressive mulberry eyes and silky tresses already growing long for his age. He was gaining elegance, body and legs being balanced out slightly, and despite the weather he was well-nourished with a shining hide of the purest ivory.

When he looked up again, the twins had set off into a gallop and were moving further away from him at an astounding speed. A flash of fear went over his delicate features as he found himself uttering one of the maternal calls he had heard his mother use when calling for the two little terrorists. Carefully placing his feet, so he might not slip and get hurt, he set after then in a fast-paced trot, lifting his knees high to get rid of the slush and snow. Soon enough they halted and he caught up, almost as out of breath as they. “Mother said to not run away, or there would be no more exploring, do you hear? Do not do that again, or I will have to tell her,” he scolded, though his words sounded hollow when his sister turned her head and looked at him with overbearing eyes. Glancing around, he realized their run had taken them further into the terrain where he hadn’t been before. Swallowing hard, he prayed under his breath that they would not be lost. Out here, getting lost would certainly mean their demise.

AHRIMAN

Aryel Posts: 229
Dragon's Throat Soldier
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.4 :: 4
FennecFyre
Aryel was an incorrigible wanderbug, even after being accepted into the herd that called the Dragon's Throat home. Now, her hooves had brought her north to explore the frozen tundra at the topmost tip of the Helovian peninsula. She wasn't sure why, the snowy landscape held little in the way of forage or shelter, and she had heard rumors of a dangerous group of equines that lurked here. She had disregarded such gossip, though, forgetting that every tale, no matter how exaggerated, had a grain of truth to it.

Perhaps it was the landscape itself that drew her here. Frozen and desolate, yet with a kind of cold beauty to it. She had amused herself by shuffling in the snow, creating lines and patterns and swirls, and had even had the idea to roll onto her back and spread out her wings, leaving an imprint of herself. Now, dusted with snow and beginning to feel a little chilled, Aryel was looking for something else to do. Noticing several shapes on the horizon, Aryel's ears pricked up, interested. Who else roamed these snowy steppes? Forgetting the warnings of dangerous horses, she trotted towards them.

Aryel stopped a distance away, trying to make out who they were. Two foals, obviously very young, were cavorting ahead of a third horse, older than them but still young. She could hear him scolding the youngsters, telling them not to run away. "He's right, you know." she said, walking towards the three. "This may be a nice place, but there's no landmarks to use if you do get lost."

(I had no idea how to have her greet them.)
Thanks for the good times, and no hard feelings for the bad times.

Vicer and Aryel's new threads never happened.

Israfel Posts: 54
Hidden Account
Filly :: Tribrid :: 16.1 hands :: 2 Years
Sparrow

I don't want to set the world on fire,</style>

She loves this pale landscape, where the sunlight filters down in cold rays and glistens off the snow like an infinity of crumbled diamonds - she wonders of winter's fingers drain the world of color, saving them for spring days and hazy autumn evenings when the world seems to explode with winter's lost vibrance. The demigoddess exhales in a plume of glittering dust which snakes its way lazily through the frigid atmosphere. Mother told her not to stray from their foggy home, but Israfel, ever the sanctimonious, decided that rules were for mortals whose sires did not rule the sky or light or fire, so she fled, if for a few hours, to this oasis of ice and snow. She would never get lost, the daughter of light and fire decides with a decisive nod, for her father would not let her. Vermilion eyes glance skyward to the sun crawling sluggishly overhead which illuminates her pale body carefully, like a painter running his brush over the form of his muse.

She catches movement in the sweeping basin of white below her - three pale forms, very similar to herself in color, and a blue thing. Israfel squints into the light, pink nostrils twitching with the cold and contemplation. After a moment, the filly feels her cloven toes tingle and her bones begin to burn - it spreads into her blood, onto her muscles. She exhales, but instead of condensation, it is smoke writhing into the baby blue of the sky. Hair and feather begins to catch flame, and the little knob of her horn becomes a column of fire. In a feral whoosh, the flames envelop her completely, caressing their mistress with wild hands, twisting into a pyre which reaches over the Steppe and heavenward.

And as suddenly as they appeared, the fire shrinks into nonexistence, swallowed by the snow, leaving in its traces a large, yawning aperture in the sparkling innocent surface.

She is coaxed into existence near the group; first, it begins as a spark over the graupel, the vaguest smell of smoke. Then, the fire materializes, swirling and revolving until it is a wall of writhing, twisting flame. The shapeless pyre takes form; a glimpse of wings, the peek of a flame-kissed shoulder, until the pale demigoddess stands before them and her flames seem to recede into her skin, crawling swiftly into her pores, seeping back into her blood and bones. She is grinning widely - she may even be mad. Israfel wonders if they will cower, if they will run from her, even if the flames were well away from the cavorting foals, their older brother, and the blue mare.

"Where are you going?", she calls innocently to the other children, the high lilt of her voice fluttering over the thin air like a butterfly with punctured wings. Her own wings, blessed by gold, fold smartly onto her body, catch the light in a mesmerizing play of color.

[kick me if I glossed over some important piece of your post xD or if I PP'd]

israfel</style>
  I just want to start a flame in your heart.</style>
image by wella691 @ flickr.com</style>

Unregistered

The handsome youth glanced around to try and determine the route they had traveled, the snow trampled severely by many travelers which did not make it any easier. Now that he thought about it, he might have heard some of the gossip of a hostile group of unicorns that resided far north. Mulberry gaze flickered, seeing a larger figure approaching at a brisk trot, the yearling quickly stepping in front of the little ones. Yet the sight of wings upon the back of the stranger calmed him, and he managed a polite smile as the mare spoke. “Thank you. I try to talk sense to them, but they just won’t listen,” he said, a sigh emitting him as he looked to the two. The twins had enough in one another and most of the time, Ahriman felt more in the way than anything. He hoped that in time, they might bond as siblings, but it was difficult to get a foot in the door when it remained slammed shut.

Turning his attention back to the blue roan mare, he was about to speak but was interrupted as a bolt of fire seemingly formed out of thin air. He stepped backward in surprise, yet suddenly out of the flame stepped a beautiful young filla. It took a couple of moments for the youth to comprehend what he had just witnessed, but he tried not to look too astounded; he was not familiar with magic but didn’t want others to know. So he put on a polite smile, nodding to the crème girl in a greeting. “Would that I could tell you, but we didn’t plan to wander this far north,” he chimed, managing to keep his voice smooth and pleasant despite the slight stress he was feeling from the situation. The newcomer did not seem to be hostile; she sported both horn, wings and equine traits. “My name is Ahriman, and these are my siblings. Pleased to meet you both,” he said, directing his gaze to the blue roan femme as well, but finding it hard to draw his attention away from the child of flame.

AHRIMAN

Ares Posts: N/A
Unregistered

I am satisfied as sister rounds up next to me, and I nudge her winged shoulder teasingly. She is cold I can tell, and I do not mind to stand still for a moment so she can get warmed up. I am never cold, but it is nothing I really think about; it’s just how I’m born. Ready to resume my exploration of these snowy fields, I am interrupted as Ahriman steps in front of me, and my lobes flick back in annoyance. I nip at his withers, for I am already almost as tall as he, but he does not notice me. Turning my electric blue gaze in the direction of his, I too spot the blue mare coming closer. Unlike Ahriman, it is not worry so much as it is curiosity that I feel at the sight, and that he has placed his butt in the middle of my view does not please me. With trusting eyes I look to the stranger mare as she speaks and flash a handsome smile in her direction; she sounds much like mother, yet she has no jurisdiction over me, so whatever admonitions she speaks are only to be considered suggestions.

A witty comment is forming in my brain when suddenly I smell smoke upon the cold air. Wonder is painted upon my face for I see no fires, yet suddenly a bolt of flames appear not far from where we are standing. I press sister back to stand protectively in front of her, mane and tail igniting immediately at the sign of threat. Lowering my nape, I stand ready to charge whomever might be intent on doing us harm; imagine my surprise when a filly suddenly stands before us, not much older than sister and I. With my mane and tail still on fire, I raise my head and look at her, a smile appearing on my face. She is young, with such powerful magic, a creature of fire like I. I hear Ahriman introducing himself, but I do not care to look away from the beautiful young girl that stands there, innocently asking us about our traveling. It takes a while for my flames to be extinguished, for I do not yet control them fully, and excitement and surprise triggers them immediately. “I’m Ares. How did you do that?” I ask, electric blue eyes still fixed and I step forward with a gallant smile on my maw.

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Aryel
I'm through accepting limits / 'cause someone says they're so.

(Dat red table @_@)

Aryel tossed her mane, giving a chiming laugh as the youngster lamented his sibling's disobedience. "Yeah, well, when the polar bears start smelling them, they'll want to stay close by." This was said loud enough to draw the foal's attention. There were no polar bears, of course. They didn't come this far inland, usually. But really, it wouldn't hurt to have a grain of caution when you were a small animal far from home.

She made no attempt to step closer, giving the others their space, but did take notice of their scents. Other horses, maybe they were from a herd. She didn't know any herd equines outside the Throat, but it would have been foolish to assume they were the only group in the area. "I'm Aryel, Dragon's Throat. Where's your home, kid?" she asked.

And then a gout of flame appeared between them. Aryel jumped back with a whinny of surprise, wondering if she had somehow offended the other horse, and he had retaliated with magic. But no, he was just as surprised as her. Besides, the caster of the flame was slowly coming into view, except she was inside the flame. "Well, that's something you don't see everyday" she said when the newcomer spoke. "How'd you do that?" She noted that this filly had both a horn and a set of wings, but the fact did little more than cause her eyebrow to raise. Helovia was an odd place.

"blah blah blah."

Some things I cannot change / but until I try I'll never know.

Eris Posts: N/A
Unregistered

ERIS
bring your love baby I can bring my shame

Princess Frost got fast weary of Ahriman pretending to be their mother; when she had agreed to come along, it had been for the purpose of getting away from the old witch for a bit. Needless to say, the golden girl held little compassion for her dam; their personalities did not mix well together. Most of all, Eris blamed her mother for not being with their father. While she had never met him, in Eris’ minds eye he had already been made a saint. When she found him, she had no intention to return to her dam; he would teach her to fly and they could travel far and wide together, just the two of them.

It felt good to stand close to her brother, feeling the unnatural warmth of his body pressed against hers, a content smile drifting across her face for a moment. But then there was Ahriman, parking himself right in front of them, and she grimaced in displeasure. About to snap at him to move, she stepped away from Ares briefly; yet then an approaching figure caught her attention. A blue roan mare, with mighty wings perched on her back. The golden child felt excitement at the sight, but before anything could show on her face, she ducked down behind her armor of neutrality. When the mare spoke, she turned out to be no better than Ahriman, preaching to them like she had any right. Eris said nothing. She didn’t have to; she just looked at the mare with chill indifference, and then arched an eyebrow slowly.

Her attention was quickly snatched away when Ares stepped in between her and a roaring ball of flame. Slender lobes flattened against the back to her skull at this strange phenomenon, certain for a moment that they were being attacked by the aforementioned unicorns. Yet suddenly, the flames seemed to take shape into… A filly. Eris rolled her eyes and sighed behind Ares’ back. Not another female. And what was worse, she instantly noticed how her twin practically dropped his jaw at her. Tiny tail flicked in annoyance, large optics of violet cold enough to chill as they went to the ivory girl, much dismayed to have to admit that she was beautiful.

To have an outlet for all her pent- up annoyance, she turned to the Pegasus mare who had introduced herself as Aryel. “His name is Ahriman, I believe he just told you. Not ‘kid’,”she said calmly, eyeing Aryel with a smile on her face that looked sweet enough but didn’t connect with the coldness in her gaze. “As for our home, we are not bound by borders. Home is wherever we choose to make it,” she added, turning her attention back to Ares and nudging his flank softly. He did not seem to notice her.
Credits

Israfel Posts: 54
Hidden Account
Filly :: Tribrid :: 16.1 hands :: 2 Years
Sparrow

I don't want to set the world on fire,</style>

They seem to be dumbfounded by her magnificent arrival, so reminiscent of her father, so she beams at them as they acknowledge her. How did you do that? they seem to ask collectively - she can see the wonder in their eyes, their mouths set in astonishment. The young demigoddess looks down in a mockery of modesty, wondering what she should say. Mother once warned her that telling others of her divine heritage would likely earn her a foul fate, for not everyone was so amiable and understanding as her family, the Qian, and her father was not the most loved of gods. Why? she had asked innocently, drawn to the promise of a story, but Smoke had only given her a saddened look - one Israfel recognized instantly; it was the one she wore when she spoke of Isilme, or of Father. She learned not to speak of these things, for seeing her mother sad made her sad, and she did not like that feeling at all.

Orange eyes flick upward, to the small crowd. She he offers them a lopsided grin, "I am born from flames," the girl remarks proudly, arching her slender neck and willing the holy blood to resurface; the golden markings inscribed on her horn begin to shift, to roil, like lava - she grins, this is her favorite parlour trick. Flames rise from the magma, twirling and twisting around the knob of an antler, until it seems as if the horn is not of bone, but of fire. With little effort, she directs the raw flames towards the roan mare, letting it lick the air near her harmlessly.

With a playful toss of her head, the fire recedes back into the inscriptions on her antler, and she turns to face the young family. The palomino seems to burn the frozen air with his flesh, and she notices flames engulfing on the orange hairs of his mane. Israfel wonders (a bit jealously), if he has met her luminescent sire, or if the Sun had reached his glowing fingers into his mother's womb and sanctified him there. Catching him staring admiringly at her, she offers him a wicked, cocky grin, like a cowboy who has won a barfight. "I am Israfel Azardokht," the girl states proudly, letting the names, too exotic for the tongue of a child, sizzle in her mouth. She tilts her head upwards, letting the blue light pool in her red eyes in shimmering gold. They glance toward Ahriman, Ares, Eris, and then Aryel and she graces them with another lopsided smile. From the periphery of her vision, she sees the girl - her pretty violet eyes are cold with indifference. Inwardly, Israfel sighs; why can't the warmth of her father's fingers touch the hearts of everyone?

israfel</style>
  I just want to start a flame in your heart.</style>
image by wella691 @ flickr.com</style>

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Aryel
I'm through accepting limits / 'cause someone says they're so.

Aryel's eyes turned downwards to look at the little filly speaking to her. Not very old at all, with little stubby wings that had yet to be any sort of useful. One eyebrow deliberately quirked to mimic the filly. "Is that so?" she said as she said they had no home, pretending to be offended. "Well, there's not need to get huffy with your elders about it." Brattiness in children annoyed her greatly, but it wasn't worth the effort to get mad at an immature horse that didn't know any better. While one could argue that Aryel had been guilty of brattiness herself, she would in turn state that being adventurous and little disobedient was hardly bratty.

"So you're nomads, then?" she asked the eldest, Ahriman. "Not a bad life, really. You get to see the whole world that way. But to be honest, having your hooves grounded somewhere isn't a bad thing either."

She wondered if there was a reason preventing them from joining up with a group. Surely three children on their own would want others protecting them? Especially ones that were practically newborns, like the youngest two. Where were their parents? Did they have any parents?

Her attention swung back to the hybrid foal as she spoke again. The eyebrow could hardly go any higher. "Born from flames, eh?" She turned her muzzle away as a little tongue of flame flickered towards her for a moment. The name was odd, too. Last names weren't common in her experience. She might call herself Aryel Ariessasdaughter in a formal occasion, but most of the time she was simply Aryel. "Well, miss Israfel Azarwhatsit, care to elaborate? That magic is certainly impressive for a child, but I'm more interested in how you came to possess it, and why you appear to be both a unicorn and a pegasus."

"blah blah blah."

Some things I cannot change / but until I try I'll never know.

Unregistered

The pale youth watched his siblings’ reactions to the magic filly with some amusement. He was not surprised to see Ares displaying excitement; the two of them did have some things in common. A vague smile snuck upon his maw when the mare Aryel spoke of polar bears; he knew both of the twins well enough to know they would only shrug carelessly at such a remark. Unfortunately; it made it that much harder to coerce them into anything. The blue roan mare continued to inquire to their homeland, but just as he was about to answer, he was cut off by Eris. Her words sounded like whiplashes upon the frosty air, and even though they were not directed at him, they made him want to cower. His handsome face would’ve blushed, had he been human; instead a concerned frown formed his expression of apology towards Aryel. “You will forgive Eris for her apparent lack of manners,” Ahriman murmured, softspoken nature a staggering contrast to his younger sister’s more abrasive ways.

The crème beauty introduces herself as Israfel, and he cannot help but smile to himself at her dramatic introduction. At the same time, he glanced at Eris out of the corner of his eye; nothing good could possibly come from those two being near each other. His sister did not enjoy competition. Aryel then speaks and slender lobes turn in her direction, mulberry gaze following when he realizes the words are addressed to him. She speaks of nomads, of being homeless, and he feels a pang of longing in his heart, but he does not let it show on his pale face. “Mother has taken a liking to the Deep Forest as of late. It provides food, shelter, safety – it’s all we need right now,” he replied diplomatically, at the same time letting her know that they were not in fact orphans. Ahriman felt a heavy responsibility for his family, even if he was only a child himself, and he didn’t want to part ways with them at any cost – but the Qian was his family too.

AHRIMAN