the Rift

Returning Home(open)

Peppermint Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
How far had she walked...? How long? Peppermint didn't know. But, here she was, in the threshold, the front steps to her old home, helovia. Could she return? Back to this oh so familiar land. Did she want to? After all, this was where her foster mother had been murdered. She could always keep on traveling, away, and find a new home somewhere else. But hadn't she already tried that? Her wandering heart was tired, and she wanted to go back. Peppermint lay there, in the ever green grass, in the sparkling sunlight. She pondered about her options. "I will stay." she finally decided. Well, then, it's off to look for others then.

She slowly trotted, admiring the greenery. How beautiful it is! It seems so peaceful, comepletely unaffected by the changing of our lives. Even in frostfall, it was so calm, here in the threshold. She wandered through, her heart light, her steps flowing. A thrush called on the treetops, and she stopped. Of course! Her wings. How could have she forget them! Spreading them wide, she flew up into the wide, blue sky. Looking down at a field of green, she temporarily forgot all her troubles, her battles, and her history. Then something cried out in the distance, and her heart darkened again. She lighted down, and started at a walk.

Trotting through, she perked her ears up for any sound, her nose flared for any scent. So far she found none. Her eyes were keen, and they searched for any signs of another equine beast. She spotted a red vixen, prowling about, she viewed a large caribou graze the sweet shrubs. Still no horse. Wait, was that a scent? A branch crackling, hoof beats in the near trees. They belonged to a horse. She waited,making herself appear to not be a threat.

Storm Posts: N/A
Unregistered
I was walking through the beautiful spring day. The woods surrounding had huge, looming trees, that brought a certain peace to my heart. Although the woods were beautiful, I yearned to be back in the endless fields of the Black Mountains with my companions and my siblings. I thought back to the last battle we had before I returned to find my home empty of my herd.

~Flashback~

'Attack!' My heart was pumping as I broke into a sprint, leading the E-Section of the fighting force.

The battle was fought long and hard, until we finally, won. I remember flying back and seeing, no one. My whole family gone. Where had they gone?

~End~

I shook off that feeling and kept on walking. I saw a red fox cross in front of me. By her milk scent, I knew she had pups. A little farther out, I saw the deer in a tiny little clearing. I trodden on heavy feet, wanting to make any other horse out in the woods, aware that I was here. I kept on walking, aware of any sounds of any approaching equines. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath of the flowery scent surrounding the place.

A slight breeze ruffled my mane, and I remembered the times, when I was searching for my herd, while I was running through the vast fields. Besides, my second name was Breeze, whereas due to my fast speed. I heard slight crunching noises, and my ears pricked up. There was someone here in these woods, maybe someone who knew where I was!

I started running towards the sound of the hooves, not caring if I disturbed the peace, and the serene environment here. I dodged trees, and my wings got caught in some brambles of the bushes. "Dang it!" I cried out as I saw a little bit of blood seep out from the miniature wound. Oh well. I thought to myself. How embarrassing. That other horse must think I'm a klutz.

Suddenly, an alert pegasus came into view. She was pretty, but she was also very young. About two years old, she seemed to me. I calmed myself down a little bit, to not startle her any more and said. "Hello! My name is StormBreeze, but you can call me Storm!" I said offering her kindness. "Do you happen to know where I am?" I asked her looking into her eyes, waiting for an answer.

Unregistered

Peppermint

"Uh huh. My name is Peppermint, and you are in a land called helovia
" Pepper said, her dark crimson orbs returning the stare. She looked at this mare, who had a light gray coat not unlike her own. She seemed kind, but slightly lost. She gave a small snort. The mare had wings for goodness  sakes. Doesn't she know how to use them? She was going to lecture this Pegasus about the use of wings, but another question pricked at her mind."Are you looking for a herd as well?" she blurted out, then wished she didn't. She had just  told this stranger what she was planning to do!

Peppermint pawed at the ground nervously. Despite the warm, bright sunlight, she felt a chill creep down her spine. Previous encounters have taught her to be cautious around strangers, and yet she had let her guard down. Pepper just hoped the mare was really as friendly as she seemed. Choosing her words more carefully this time, she spoke with a long, cool, tone. "I see that you are new around here. This used to be my old home. I have a pretty good idea of how to get around this land and its herds. Would you like some help to get around?" she knew better than to ask so bluntly, but she really had no choice.'I just hope that mare didn't notice.' she thought to herself.

"Lol hi sorry for the late reply. Oh and I got a table!"

Unregistered
I really didn't like this Peppermint's attitude. She seemed kind of snobbish and feisty. Well. Two of a kind here. I guess offering my kindness wasn't enough. Was she trying to be assertive over me, because I seemed to be the older and the bigger one here. I wasn't going to tolerate this pushy filly to be an absolute snob. I was going to feed her some of her own medicine.

She snorted at my confusion of this new land. "Thank you for telling me where I am", I brusquely said returning her stare. I couldn't help to be a little bit shaken off by her attitude. Besides, I was so confused because I had flown such a long ways to get to this place. I was still looking for my herd, and I had no idea where they could be dwelling nowadays. Or if they were even alive anymore.

I straightened myself a little bit more to look more imposing, and opened my wings out a little bit, just to prove that I knew how to fly. I was one of the best divers back in my old herd. "I am not looking for a new herd. I am here to look for my lost herd," I suddenly pricked up my ears. I smiled slyly to myself as a new thought entered my head. "You know what...I am looking for a new herd", I said.

I saw her nervous reactions towards me, and I almost felt bad for being such a snob back at her. She was young, and it was a duty to be nicer. "Hey. You can trust me," I started telling her. "I've been in a lot of fights too, and I feel like I can trust you", I said. I really didn't care. She seemed almost to young, in my eyes to do any damage. I relaxed now, letting my wings fall back where they were, and my glare softened down into a normal look.

"It would be very nice of you to show me around", I said offering her a smile. "Excuse me for being so rude. I just have a feisty temper", I said, almost adding a 'too'. I smiled at her and waited for her reply.

The sun kept on shining on my back, and I longed to be back in the endless fields of rye, with the mountains and forests to be at my sides.

Unregistered

Peppermint

Peppermint peered at this mare closely. She seemed alright, but those sudden changes of attitude are very suspicious. Oh well, she was just gonna have to trust her for now. She didn't mean to be rude, but pepper just didn't trust newcomers. "I'm sorry for my attitude as well," she replied sweetly, it was liked her voice was dripping honey. "It's just that I don't trust many horses." as she spoke she looked at this mare again. Her speech was somewhat not right, but Peppermint rather foolishly let it pass for now.

"say, you're looking for a new herd as well? Well, maybe we can travel together." Peppermint suggested with a sly glint in her eye. Of course she didn't really believe that. Storm had changed her mind way too quick. But of course, two equines were always better than one. Well, almost always. She thought backed to every other horse she had tried to work with. She had been sweet and innocent then, but she was, better, smarter, stronger now. She wouldn't let down her guard. These memories clung to her mind like cobwebs to a tree, and she had to shake her head to get ride of them.

The mare's next words almost surprised her. She guessed that storm must feel sorry for her. "thanks for offering me comfort," she began, not sure how to reply," we are really a lot alike with each other." Peppermint thought for a moment, then spoke again. "I don't tell many equines this, but I guess you can call me pepper. My foster mother used to call me that." she laughed slightly at storm's next words. "yeah, I guess I do too."

The sun spread its warmth along the filly, making her feel happy and contented. She bathed in the sun, wanting to forget all her worries.

"it's good to have a break from shy and polite Lusana lol"

Unregistered
The filly finally softened up towards me. I flashed a smile of being content. Finally, a Pegasus a lot like me. Feisty, but very kind once you get to know her. "Well, I guess we could look for a herd together", I said. I wondered if my herd could've been the one that relocated here. There must be many herds that roam around this area, right?

"Okay. You can call me Breezy, or Breeze. That's my true name, but I guess since my pelt is dark gray, the pegasi back at my herd call me Storm", I said. Breezy, in my point of view, suited me much better, even though it was a foal-like name. A name that younger horses would use, but I really didn't care. I liked that name.

"If you want me to, I will accompany you to help you find a new home, although I might not stay, depending on how it's like. Unless....do you know if these herds have warrior ranks?" I asked her. Fighting, even though it was horrible, was a part of my life. I lived to see the next day just to open up my wings and fight. It was a vital part of life, that made me feel strong, and youthful.

Even though Peppermint was starting to act a little bit nicre, I could still tell she was concealed, and nervous. I didn't mind it though. I just would like her to know, that I wouldn't do anything to harm another equine, pegasus, or unicorn unless they attacked me first. Actually, I've never seen another equine, but I've heard of them. Also unicorns, considered so elusive, I've barely heard any other story but 'They have powerful horns used for wars and fights', or 'They are so shy, they hide away in the forest'.

I waited for her response, as I basked in the sun, letting its rays hit my pelt, lighting it up. I didn't want to leave this beautiful heat.

occ: Did you make that table?? 0-0 Cause if you did, I reaaaally want to learn!! :D

Unregistered

Peppermint

Peppermint smiled back at breeze. She guessed that the mare was glad that she had softened up towards her. What she had said was true- they were very alike. " yes, I would rather enjoy that," pepper replied," there are plenty of herds and gangs around here, but only four main ones. There's also some smaller groups like the qian or the gray." she had only recently heard this news, but it was always good to know. 

" you mentioned your old herd  before. What are they like? did you get separated from them? What had happened?" oops. Peppermint shut her mouth. She shouldn't be flooding storm with questions just now. Maybe later. She was silent for a little, then continued speaking. "sorry, I shouldn't have asked all those questions. You don't have to answer them if you don't want to. But do tell me this, what does it feel like, being in a herd?" she had no idea what it was like. Sure, she had visited the helovian herds, and she had seen many herds and groups in her travels. She even prided herself about knowing so much. But had she really called one of them  home?

Moving on, she focused once more on breeze's next words. "sure, there's warrior ranks, soldiers, generals, even leaders are considered part of the military." peppermint spoke confidently, please that she had found a topic she was learned  in. "a herd is really complicated here. There are oracles, forgers, healers, plenty of ranks for everyone. That's a good thing, I guess." peppermint shrugged. She for one wasn't very interested in war. Oh well, different people, different interests, peppermint concluded. "have you ever seen any equines or unicorns?" she asked, "if you haven't, helovia is a good place to visit them. I've seen a lot. Turns out that unicorns aren't as shy as they were said to be." storm probably came from a all pegasi herd, peppermint judged, from the ways she speaks.

"Lol no, someone made it for me. But I'm beginning to learn how."

Unregistered
She informed me about the four major different herds. How interesting. I would like to join a herd, and besides, I could recognize some. My heart brightened up at knowing this. I heard about the different herds. How strange their names. I remembered my herd's name by heart. Endless Fields Herd. Obviously it fit exactly where I lived. Unlike the terrible name of our rival herd, Black Mountains Herd.

She asked me about my herd. Personally, I didn't mind telling other pegasi about my past life, because they might've seen them. I truly hoped, maybe she saw my pure white mother, leading. "Well, I used to live with my herd, Endless Fields Herd. I was more like the tomboy one, and I became a top warrior. I left to war, and I had to suddenly return for supplies, when I realized my herd wasn't where we settled. Since then, I have been searching every where for them, and I appeared amongst these lands", I told her.

She apologized for the questions, and I gave out a chuckle. "Sorry for what?" I joked. "It's totally okay", I said offering kindness.

She told me about the rankings, and I was feeling better when they mentioned. I was begginning to get interested, but I first wanted to wait. Just a little bit. "I've never seen an equine, or unicorn, at that fact", I told her. I've always wanted to meet one. Like the elusive unicorns that are mentioned. I wonder what they're like. "Tell me, how are these unicorns described as?" I questioned her, curious about the different race.

occ: Sorry for not replying in so long, just went on a long trip! I wanna another table. 0-0 lol

Unregistered

Peppermint

Peppermint felt stunned. How horrible it must have been for storm! But she looked like the brave type, and must have made it through, or else she would not be here. Herself personally had no experience at all of having a herd, so it didn't really matter to her. Why don't I tell her more about the herds?! She thought. Perhaps it could convince her to stay. "Endless field herd. It sounds beautiful," she whinnied, picturing golden fields of wheat in her head. "the herds we have here are, well, the Dragon's throat herd, the foothills, the world's edge, and, and, the aurora basin. Personally, I wouldn't go to the aurora basin or the edge, it's filled with racist unicorns. You shouldn't, either." peppermint shrugged. "who knows what they're thinking?"

Listening closely, peppermint nodded in understanding. "so that's what brought you to helovia. If you want to look for them, I suggest the wilds. But if I were you, I wouldn't go there alone, you know." she said, a sly glint in her eyes. "the wilds are pretty dangerous, if you don't know where to go." she paused for a moment. "can you tell me more about your herd? I may be able to help you find them." she knew that it was a tactful offer of help, but what was there for storm not to trust her?

"so you've haven't met them before?" peppermint looked at breeze. " I don't really blame you, they don't tend to be together like this." she stopped, thinking about the equines and the unicorns. "let's see, the equines look like us, but without out wings. They have no horn, nor wings at all. It must be sad!" she chuckled. "but they are known for their agile movements. At least here, in helovia they are. They're a nice bunch. Accepts anyone, really. The unicorns are mostly racist. Thinks they're better than any of us. I dunno why. They have horns of all different shapes and sizes. Some long and slender, some with two and curled up. But other than that, they're no different."

She stopped talking, and used the moment to bathe in the sun.

"Here you go, sorry for the wait."

Unregistered
I listened to Peppermint. I actually truly enjoyed talking to her. Despite the fact she was a filly, she couldn't be that much younger than me. Besides, I loved how she told me about this place, and I would love to stay some more with her. "Thank you", I said replying to what she said about the Endless Field herd. I wondered where she came from, although I would have to do some talking before asking her. She seemed to be wary, and I wanted her to trust me. I was a reliable friend, and source, and I would protect her if I had to. I was suddenly being so fiercely protective. For a reason, she seems to be like my little sister, except with the strangely colored blonde hair and green eyes she could've acquired from my pure white mother, with her blonde hair and green eyes.

She told me about the herds, and I felt so deprived of family life. Yes, I was a tough one, that really didn't need anyone to look after me, but I really did yearn the company of others when I was so vastly lonely. "I'll keep in mind not to go to the Basin or the Edge", I said. Now that I knew unicorns weren't as reserved and quiet as we thought them to be, I really didn't want to face their jagged horns even though I could maneuver myself easily out of their charge. Then she told me about the wilds. "If you want to...maybe you could come to the wilds with me?" I was being so protective, like this streak in my warrior blood. I felt the need to protect her, like my little delicate sister, although I felt that Peppermint wasn't such a softie like my sister.

When she asked me about my herd, memories overflowed me along with sadness. "Well", I began "It was a very large herd. We were lined along the Black Mountains, far from here. Like 7 days of flight away", I said remembering my perilous journey before landing here. "Most of the pegasi were dark colored, with different color eyes, or manes, and rarely would you see a light colored one, unless you counted my sister, and my mother," I said pausing. "They were more a warrior group of horses. We fought off intruders, and the other growing nations that threatened to invade our smaller herd", I said. I looked back at her, inquiring with my eyes if she wanted to know more.

"Now that you mention it, I really don't want to meet those unicorns!" I said exclaiming. I wouldn't mind meeting any equine like animal. When she told me about the poor equines, guilt flooded through me. I suddenly thought how it would be for me without wings. I felt devastated. A world without flying, seeing the beautiful setting sun, with the wind softly caressing your feathers. No. I couldn't live without my wings. I moved them a little bit to see if they were still there, and I let out a small gasp of relief when I felt them intact. "It would be so horrible without wings!" I said, really feeling it. "I feel so bad for them", I continued. She slightly stopped talking, letting the sun bathe her body. I enjoyed the heat radiating off of me when I asked her a question. "Where were you before you came to Helovia. If you don't want to tell me, you don't have to", I nicely said to her, letting the summer heat engulf my body.