the Rift

I'm not having fun yet.... ( Slaiter )
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
I had been to this nasty place once before, the memory was a rather uninteresting—unimportant one. But it served as a guide through Helovia’s smelly bog at least. Footfalls had to be careful and direct or else an unwilling swim into the murky depths would be our fate this evening. Fina surprisingly didn’t mind all nauseating smells, she rather liked being able to dart to and fro with ample glee.

Did I mention coming to this horrid place had been her idea?

Each sprint furthered her ability to catch oversized toads until finally I grew weary of stomping through marsh for the solo reason of hunting.

Communicating was easy, but also bluntly honest. We knew the others thoughts, desires; nothing was personal anymore. Having something or in this case someone, lingering behind the shadows was rather unnerving at first. Acceptance came naturally though, and it wasn’t long before we found comfort at having a more than just our own little voice on the inside to talk to.

“We are finding nothing important here, let us head home…Cera will be waiting.” I pried then turned, knowing she would eventually follow. Disappointment fluttered in the wake of orders, Fina didn’t approve and wanted to stay longer. When I ignored her wistful images of squishy fish and lizard she started squawking…loudly….

Patience felt strained tighter than a flexed vine, still I practiced wisdom and replied, “If we leave now, perhaps our trails can lead by the meadow and we can hunt rabbit or dove?” To me it was a very generous trade off, I was eager to get home; and she was constantly thinking about one thing.

When and where was my next meal coming from? One would think I never fed the lass.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Slaiter Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Slaiter
Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places.
-H.P. Lovecraft

Though the painted stallion may not enjoy the muddy marsh, there was one nearby who was having a rather splendid time plundering the corpse filled waters. Much time in this eerie place had resulted in an astounding familiarity, at least when it comes to venturing in and out of the trecherous pools. Currently, the ghoul was standing chest deep in the stagnant murk, peering through the silt for a glimpse of a body. The overpowering stench of rot and decay had rendered his normally delicate sense of smell useless, and obviously the dead make no noise, so the creature found himself relying soley on his eyes to accomplish his grisly task. A leonine tail swished in mild annoyance, stirring up even more of the silty residue and making his search even harder. With a resigned sigh, the unicorn turned and began to wade his way back to the sloped bank that had granted him entrance to the water.

Piercing squawks suddenly cut through the normal sounds of the swamp, sending the ghoul skittering back from the potential threat. What if whatever it was wanted to eat him? He looked dead, but would that really matter to a giant bird? At least, he thought it was a bird, because he couldn't think of anything else that might squawk. Unless it was a monster… Intrigued by the possibility, he slowly advances again, scenting the air in a futile effort to discover the beast. Could he be friends with a monster? Everyone said he was a monster, so maybe this one was like him.

Gunk clings to his hooves and legs as he emerges from the pool, making it somewhat difficult for the stallion to avoid slipping from the path. Before venturing too far, he stops at the base of a tree, fondly nudging a broken bit of rib he had left there earlier. “Sorry Mira, I couldn't find anyone else in the water to be friends with us. But there might be a monster! Let’s go see.” Teeth clamp gently over the bone, and he carries it with him as he seeks out the source of the noises. In an odd way, it comforts him, the way a blanket might comfort a child, slightly calming the skittish beast.

This soothing effect is the only thing that keeps Slaiter from bolting as soon as the pegasus and his phoenix come into view. Even so, he is hesitant to move any closer, choosing to remain a safe distance away and hope they haven’t spotted him. What if they take Mira away? Or chase him? He doesn't know why, but a lot of horses try to chase him, biting and kicking if they can get close enough. He sways back and forth, debating on whether or not to just slink away again, but a careless step back results in a twig snapping rather loudly. He freezes, eyes glued to the paint.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
‘Snap,’ I turn attention back toward murky timbers, ears perked and senses fixed upon the disturbance. My last visit had produced company that I wouldn’t have otherwise met, but it also proved rumors of the rising dead to be false. Thus far. Shadows and green brown filtered light turned this landscape into something foreign, almost alien. Bright eyes peered into the shark shadows beyond the water, a faint outline of a creature formed.

A shadow was lurking, standing stark still and watching me with an intensity that could lead one to believe that something was worth hiding. I could almost feel his gaze upon this body, “Hello?” I say, curious as to whom this stranger was. Wings remained half unfurled; they refused to shut just on the side chance that a ghoul did emerge from said thicket.

“Friends have no reason to linger in shadow, reveal yourself.”

A corner jutted from frozen company, a horn? Lids narrowed in remembrance of the creature that so dared to harm my beloved boy. Was this the blood bay that so boldly struck out against the weak and defenseless, only to flee like a whipped cur the moment someone of worth showed up? Tail lashed against my flanks with sharp flicks, the muscles along shoulders and limbs quivered with the hateful games this mind would keep playing. Cera wasn’t the only one effected by recent events, growing thoughts of revenge were keeping me up at night; whereas nightmares and daymares followed him wherever he went like a plague.

Unregistered

Slaiter
-H.P. Lovecraft

Eyes suddenly rest upon the odd stallion, sulfurous pools burning holes into his greenish pelt, acid dripping from the open wounds. It feels real, even though he knows his hide remains intact, that no acid sizzles through his vein. The sensation, the being seen, is unnerving, leads him to fidget, nervously chomping on the bone held in his mouth like a bit. It is not to late to flee, and he knows the path well, could race down it blind. The paint wouldn't catch him, not here, with the dead sheltering him and the thick curtains of moss that hang like shrouds from the trees threatening to wrap around one's eyes.

"Friends have no reason to linger in shadow, reveal yourself." Friends. Did the winged one think him a friend? He didn't sound friendly. Black tail tuft writhes indecisively behind him, slithering around his hocks like the comforting caresses of a great snake. He is a monster, a zombie, a freak, so that means he doesn't have to obey, doesn't it? The winged paint seems used to being obeyed, waiting for his order to be heeded rather than seeking out the vague form that lurks in the gloom. Head tilts as he ponders, playing through scenarios. Run, or stay? Remain or approach?

Finally, it is the flame bird that pulls him forward, a captivating creature that glows in the dim lighting like a beacon. It is a monster too, isn't it? After all, it is on fire, or at least appears to be. Isn't it? Adorned in hues from scarlet to gold, dancing colors that hypnotize and call silently. Cautiously, the ghoul slinks into view, hovering nearby, yet poised to disappear in an instant should he feel threatened.

If this is a flame monster, then what is the one who stands with it? Abyssal gaze soaks in his appearance again, running it through his mind and memory for identification. An angel, maybe? Not the soft, fluffy ones that lots of horses speak of, but the ones his mum had told him about. The ones with armor and swords, the ones who flew down on white wings to smite evil. He shrinks back, knowing now that running would be futile. "I didn't mean to be bad," he pleads around the rib sliver. If the angel was angry, would his friends help him? A glance is cast about, seeking bodies in the surrounding muck. There is a hint of one, many yards away, partially submerged in water. It and Mira would protect him, wouldn't they? He begins to edge toward the large puddle, sidling along sideways in a vain attempt at being subtle.

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
If the misty stranger had fled, not a single muscle would have twitched in pursuit. As seconds trickled silently by, I began to rethink upon the idea of trickery from light and shadow. My eyes thought they saw movement, perhaps the flick of a dark tail among the filtered pale water? Or perhaps I was just going crazy, and this landscape amplified it. What’s to say that this creature wasn’t a figment of an overactive imagination, born from the wings of constant narrowed thinking over the past few days……

Questions fluttered in, “was I finally falling so deep within the pools of despise that my brain has begun to fantasize about ghosts that resembled the creature I so sought?”

My frown only deepened when Fina flew into sight through the mossy covered trees, curiosity and question coming in her wake through our bond. She was rightly wondering what had so feverously captured my attention and held it for this long.

Sharp avian talons lashed themselves across my spine, her slender body settled there with carnivorous eyes pointed toward the direction I stared. Beak held aloft, and what could be a songlike voice instead rasped out a low hiss.

The ghoul finally seemed to finish contemplating life and death. He came out, drifting from the thicket with dark eyes peering at my phoenix, than turning to judge me. My first instinct was relief, this wasn’t D’art and I certainly hadn’t gone mad.

Features lessened their previous severity and smoothed out, my brows still wrinkled together though; mostly out of wonderance as to who this lad was. I could see him shrink from me, though I had done nothing to provoke such actions. When he spoke, it wasn’t the tone that threw me, but his obvious hesitation, "I didn't mean to be bad," this lad shrank like fearful child.

Finding shreds of compassion for this tree colored stallion, I closed my wings to ease possible anxiety and put on a forced smile, “Well met friend…..you needn’t be fearful of me.” It never once crossed mind that this body would look intimidating; my collar seemed innocent enough, and nobody would be able to tell what magical properties lay within--without seeing the power firsthand

“What is your name?” I ask softly.

The question was harmless enough, plus it offered room for conversation. My gaze followed each sliding movement….taking note that he didn’t shy away from the murky waters. Now that I thought about it, his body seemed to be covered in pallet of this forsaken marsh. Was this land his permanent residence?

Best to ask one question at a time.

Unregistered

Slaiter
-H.P. Lovecraft

Words still the stallion, holding him as surely as tethers would. The angel doesn't sound mad at him, and the demon makes no move to claim him. Is he not in trouble then? The angel said not to be afraid, so that meant he was safe, didn't it? Or maybe the angel was lying, trying to make him feel safe before attacking. Others had done that, speaking gently to him until he had allowed them within kicking and biting range. But angels never lie, he remembers, the words of a long lost mother echoing in the hollow chambers of his being. "They will insinuate, speak one thing and mean another, withhold information in order to manipulate, but Slait-kid, an angel will never lie to you. They cannot. Even Lucifer himself is bound by this rule..."

So, this winged monarch, this mighty creature descended from the sky, he had to tell the truth. But the statement wasn't definite, didn't bind the creature. Could he get a better truth, use the rules of divinity to keep himself safe? Tail lashes about him nervously as he stares at the angel, weighing his chances. Finally, words escape, ring through the humid air like the tolling of a funeral bell. "Do you promise not to hurt me?" An innocent question, the query of a child seeking solace from a stranger. Yet, for the ghoul they hold so much more meaning, his welfare depending on the right answer. It is nerve-wracking, burning and slithering across his skin and through his brain. Say yes.

It is a surprise when another question fills the air, this time an utterance from the angel. "What is your name?" Shouldn't he know? Confusion and doubt begin to sink claws into his mind, making him prance nervously in place. If the angel doesn't know who he is, then can he escape, run, flee through the muck and mire of the swamp until he is lost in the pale light and deep shadows, hidden amongst long forgotten bones once again? Yet, his tongue betrays him, sliding his name through his lips. "Slaiter."

Ascended Helovian

Deceased
He watches me with the wide wary eyes of a child, and I grow more uncomfortable by each passing second. It was strange to be peered at with such fear, and it left me wondering, “what had this soul been through to find terror in a mere presence?” My appearance couldn’t be the fault, and certainly not tone or words. What then? Pondering these things made feet want to pace, but to do so would likely scare away the very thing I was trying to sooth.

Fighting to remain motionless, my knees lock and the urge passes—yet spine still quivers and feathers grow uncomfortable from being pressed against side so tightly…but after a moment I quiet them as well. Fina stares on with great interest… which was a miracle honestly--for she rarely took pleasure in anything beyond her belly.

"Do you promise not to hurt me?"

Gaze narrows with confusion ringing like a bell, but lips move in soft response, “I wouldn’t dare shed blood, without just cause,” and this was the truth. To consider one an honorable warrior was to walk a path separate from foolish brawl. But I wasn’t just a simple brainless beast of muscle, no, my mind worked and spun like any other poet or gentle man.

His shrinking nature whelps pity and surprising compassion, quietly I add, “You have my promise as a warrior—I will not harm you.” He looks older than me, face with more lines and body with more scars. Yet, the mind appears shattered.

Who was at fault for the fate of this pitiful creature? My first and only question finds simply answer, "Slaiter." Memory stores this new name and face away in a timely fashion while I dip skull a little and respond, “I am Midas, and this bird is Fina.” Again I am struck by his appearance, and the ease of maneuverability in this foul place. Thinking returns to an unsaid question and wonders if perhaps the elder stallion called these lands home, and I was actually the intruder?

Feeling a strong desire to explain my actions and reasons for being here I say honestly, “This territory provides excellent hunting grounds for my companion here…” Pausing my attention flickers to a silent Fina, who was still quietly judging our skittish company, “Do you reside here permanently Slaiter?” Lord only knew where these questions were coming from—why my mind suddenly desired to learn more about this strange beast that clung to the death this swamp seemed to reek of?