the Rift

Who am I? [Djinn]
Ascended Helovian

Ophelia the Amaranthine Posts: 701
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7
Mare :: Hybrid :: 16.0 hh :: 6 Years HP: 77 | Buff: BULK
Tinek :: Royal Silver Dragon :: Frost Breath & Shock Breath Tamme

[OOC: Continued from here: http://helovia.net/showthread.php?tid=3467]

With furrowed brows and no small amount of uncertainty, Ophelia listened to the grey stallion with the crisp, winter eyes. She frowned as he mentioned interrupting the happenings of the pegasus and other grey stallion. A darkness emanated from his darkly dappled hide like the breath of death itself, and she was not interested in knowing the outcome of testing his patience anymore. He had told her that he knew her, but to what extent? What had happened? Not knowing, once a beautiful and blissful sensation, was now something to fear. Suddenly being an innocent creature, care free was a loathsome feeling; she felt like a child at the dinner table, unaware of the conversation and just as upset about not knowing.

The black blazed stallion nudged her shoulder, snapping her out of her mental melancholy, and she nodded to the two strangers (one a familiar stranger). She followed Djinn to wherever he would lead, far away from the near disaster she had almost caused without knowing. How much of a fool could she be to believe that all were beings of good hearts and intentions? Even at her core, was she truly that naive? And what guarantee did she have that this grinning soul would tell her the truth?

More importantly: what choice did she have?

Cloven hooves carried her at his side, a pale dove next to a silver jester. Dual colored eyes watched him hawkishly, as if staring at him harder would spark a memory. Nothing shifted to the forefront of her mind, and a tantalizingly light filled section of her brain wafted like a curtain, blocking something important, she felt. What had happened? The last thing she could remember was her hooves on rock, blue lava churning to a steaming ocean. Was that important somehow? "I am sorry that I do not remember you," she murmured quietly. The stallion was very good at hiding his emotions, but Ophelia knew that she would feel saddened of someone did not remember her after even one meeting. From how he treated her, the stallion had been a friend for much longer.

Finally, her hooves came to a soft halt, looking up into his face with a soft and oddly sweet determination. "If you will still tell me what you know of me, I am ready to hear what you have to say. Perhaps, in some way, I can repay you for your kindness." Ophelia strange, dual colored eyes rested on his, her figure almost too relaxed for someone about to be hit with the shock of her past, of her choices.

[OOC: Sorry this is so late, Chan! I hope it's okay!]

CARRY YOUR CROSS
And I'll carry mine. Dig your own hole and you'll be fine.

roni

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.
Please. Anyone. I don't think I can save myself. I'm drowning.

Please tag me in every response!

Djinn Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
Djinn

No one rejects, dislikes, or avoids pleasure itself, because it is pleasure.

Silent, looming. The quiet steps of the stallion appeared almost grim as he brought the oblivious lily away from the clutches of death, even though the expression was nothing but neutral. Ears danced atop the poll like cranes in spring, eyes not unlike those of a demons kept scouring the horizon for threats, obvious or not.

Silence.

It wrapped around him like a cloak, emitted from the rolling of the powerful shoulders, the sway of the long rich tail and the nodding of the crystalline horn. Oozing, like water from a spring, for each step he took; was it even possible for a creature so big to be so quiet? It was as though he wasn't actually there, as though he was nothing more than an apparition, a ghost returned from the realm of the dead to... to do what? In any case, the warmth radiating from his skin as he walked by the shoulder of the pale lady revealed that he was undoubtedly a living being. Sculpted from flesh and bone, he would bleed like anyone else when cut.

Whether he was crying on the inside as the pristine femme shattered the quiet to voice her apology... That was impossible to tell. Even as he turned the head to look at her the expression remained closed, stony, lacking of any telltale emotion. When the lips tugged back into a faint smile it held little warmth, and only a shadow of the mirth he once had shown her... Surely, if her memories returned, she would notice the difference and realize just how much she had hurt him.
"I am sorry that I don't remember you."

"Don't be" he replied, allowing the dusky orbs to rest on her lither frame for a moment before returning to watch the horizon. "I'm sure you will be given a chance to redeem yourself at some point. No matter what you do, as long as you don't forget and strive to become better than you were, there is never a reason to carry guilt around."

Was she forgiven? No. Djinn wasn't so quick to forgive, not so quick to heal as to forget transgressions. But neither was he so low as to carry around anger towards someone who apparently couldn't remember why he had a reason for it. Ophelia's amnesia didn't absolve her of her crime, but how could he stay mad at her when she looked up at him with that kind of expression? Innocent, sweet, undeniably beautiful.

The stride of the ebony maned mercenary slowed into a halt and breathed out in a faint sigh. For a while, lids lowered over the ominous eyes as he tried to decide what to say, whether to play with her or not, whether she deserved to know that which she had so easily cast aside. If he'd known that her choice to fall into oblivion and forget everything had been voluntary, almost eagerly made... But he didn't.

"Very well, I'll tell you what I know," he said after a while. Orbs flicked open, turning to gaze into hers in an unrelenting way - to deliver his honestly spoken words, whether they would be welcome or not.
"Your name is Ophelia. When we met for the first time in the Threshold of this land, you introduced yourself as a mercenary. A leader of a band of cutthroats and word-mongers called The Gray, led in unison by you and your sister, a black mare named Ktulu; mother of a winged child, followed by a bears cub, a mare who almost killed me because she deemed me unworthy to follow you. You and your sister hail from the same land as I, a land to the east called Isilme. We spoke of it some, and from that I learned that the place has become overrun with darkness, and a piece of your heart along with it. I don't know what you lost back there, but whatever it was, it still haunts you.

As for who I am, or why I'm standing here right now.. I am Djinn, a mercenary hailing from the Mystic Woodlands in the land of Isilme. Called Demon-Eye by some, a fool by most, but for some reason not by you. You invited me to join the ranks of your group, and I swore to follow you, watch your back and aid you in whatever way possible."

The stream of words was relentless, the eyes of the rogue ruthless in their undeniable honesty. He could have tricked her so easily. It would have been a simple matter to weave a cloak of lies to wrap her in, a blindfold more vicious than the one she already wore; for his own high amusement, his own sake, he could have told her anything. But it wasn't in his nature to do so. The core of this tall, strong youngster was not the mask of a jester he showed to everyone, but rather it was honesty. Cold, brutal, reckless honesty, whether it brought hell upon him or not; he spoke his mind, and allowed those who wished to see him as a fool to do so.

Did she welcome the truths he offered her?

Nor is there anyone who loves or pursues or desires to obtain pain of itself, because it is pain.

Ascended Helovian

The stallion's steps barely depressed the snow beneath his hooves, body sliding against the winter's landscape with a silence unknown. Nothing shifted on his figure, and even his ebony tail did not rustle as it rushed around his legs, steps long and purposeful. Something about the quiet hush around his aura was tragic, and she wondered if she were the cause. When she moved up to his side, only the gentle rise of heat from his body told her that he was truly there, real, and not a ghost conjured by her mind to comfort her as she dreamed. If only this were all a dream; if only she could take it all back.

How could she not apologize? What she had chosen, what she had done had affected him just as much in that moment. She did not forget the way his expression fell when she asked who he was, only to be replaced a split second later. The disappointment in those strange, devilish eyes would haunt her, she was certain. Now, his expression was hidden beneath a wall of apathy, tinted with seriousness. A faint smile did not reach his eyes, and she listened to his words. She hoped that she would get a chance to redeem herself, as she barely understood what was happening. Don't forget? Ophelia had already forgotten everything; how could she know who she was before?

Troubled, she waited, not having the heart to acknowledge his words. Instead, she shifted through the snow and finally asked to know her past. She was brave enough to face it now, would that be worth anything? Ophelia came to rest at a halt as well, watching him gather himself, and she wished then that she could take everything back. She had no idea what happened or why, but she wished now that she could take it back. Little did she know that gaining back her memories would only be a downward spiral from here - that she would hurt everything.

He explained who she was, and she furrowed her brows. For as gentle and kind a soul as she was now, Ophelia was true to her nature - strong, stubborn and tinted with a hint of temper. As she listened to him tell her who she had been, she nodded, understanding now why so many must recognize her. Mercenaries were generally well known among the darkness, and she was certain to have made many acquaintances. Why mercenaries? Ophelia had no desire to kill or maim others, quite the opposite, actually. What would possess her to take up such an odd mantle, and with a sister? She had a sister? A pit formed in her stomach. She had family. What would her sister think of her now?

Obviously, the mare was upset by the tilt of her tulip ears and the clenching of her jaw, but she allowed the burden to lay perfectly on her shoulders where it belonged. Strongly, she nodded, dual colored eyes resting on the snow as she tried to think of all the terrible things that must have happened in her past. What made her desire to forget? Was it a consequence of one of her sins? Did she ask to forget the ones she loved? Suddenly, the joy that once filled her heart at the beauty in her life faded to a dull color, and her breath moved past her nostrils in a white cloud.

"Words cannot express my apology," she murmured quietly, the tone of her voice so similar to how it was before her memories were blocked. "You swore to watch over me, and somehow... this happens." With furrowed brows over tainted, dual colored eyes, she hesitantly lifted her gaze to his cool blues. "If this is my fault, when I remember, because I swear to you I will, then I promise to repay this sleight to your honor." A good, honest heart still beat in her chest. "I am grateful for you telling me about my past, and I accept the choices I made, whether I remember them or not."

She frowned deeply, and lowered her neck, the weight of her sorrow almost palpable. "The question that lingers now is do I lie and save others from my... inability to remember, or do I risk my life with honesty?" Ophelia asked, more to herself. She never wanted to be a liar, priding herself on being an honest soul.

CARRY YOUR CROSS

roni

Undertow has come to take me. Guided by the blazing sun. Look at everything around us. Look at everything we've done.

Djinn Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

I speaketh the Truth</style>

The light in her eyes faded, and in that moment the demon cursed his own inability to weave a pleasant lie. Behind the stoic facade his chest tightened, as though an invisible hand was taking a hold of his heart and slowly squeezing it apart. The quiet breath was too steady, too long, revealed nothing and everything of the joy and regret he felt upon seeing a shadow of the old Ophelia return; a creature, he realized, built as much from sorrow and doubt as she was from unyielding strength.

She apologized again, and Djinn had to clench the teeth together to hold back an urge to tell her to shut up. Why was she apologizing, when he was the one who made her sad? As pure and noble as the white of how coat the lady accepted every word he said, not doubting him for a second. Was he relieved that her faith in him was justified? Would it have felt better to see her bright eyed and relieved, knowing that her state of mind was based upon some well-intended lie?

Afraid that the turmoil within would spill out if he let the expression soften, he looked as hard and cold as stone as he listened to her musings, providing nothing but a curt nod in acceptation of her vow. He would remember it. By the gods, he would remember; even if he forgot everything else, he'd make sure to hold on to that, because as much as it was her redemption, it would be his redemption as well. For casting a shadow upon her eyes, for not stopping whatever it was that caused this entire situation, he would accept her payment even if it caused him to feel repulsion toward himself.

Forced to avert his gaze in order to hide the emotions threatening to spill over, her question was met with moments of silence as he mulled over the question. The black tail swayed gleaming and thick in a faint breeze that was as cold as the surrounding landscape even in this time of spring. Indeed, would it be better to lie? If he'd lied to her, would she have thanked him for it once her memories returned?

"In the end I suppose that you'll have to decide this for yourself" he said absently, "but if they are truly close to you, don't you think they will notice anyway? There is so much to a relationship, not only words. Gestures, the look of someones eyes when they meet yours, anecdotes and common responses... " He shook his head and turned back to her, finally feeling in enough control over himself to allow a softening of the expression and the ghost of a smile to reach the eyes.

"Don't make it harder on yourself than it have to be. Accept the sadness and grief they might burden you with, but don't add to it by lying. Nothing good will come of it, neither for yourself nor for anyone else. Surely, even if this amnesia was caused by your own choices the weight of it will be enough to pay the price."

The words he spoke rang true, but even so there was a small part within that wondered if her sadness would ever make him feel better. It stung that she couldn't recall him or the conversations they'd had, but didn't feel a bit better by adding her pain to it. Rather the opposite. No, what he really wanted was to have his friend back. The mysterious girl who'd laughed for him in a snowy forest, the one who looked at him with steady eyes and accepted him where no one else seemed to have the patience.

Sighing faintly the neck of the big stallion lowered beneath the weight of all the emotions, eyes resting upon Ophelia's lithe frame unawares of the dull pain that rested in the darkness of the gaze. If he'd been brave enough and sure that she wouldn't shy away, he'd have hugged her; wrapped the neck over her back and pulled her close, attempting to chase away that horrible look on her face, along with the cold abyss that spread its chilling poison though his soul.

He didn't think she would allow it though, and so he remain where he was, silently waiting.

Ascended Helovian

Ophelia realized too late that she was being incredibly transparent with her emotions, and she she clenched her jaw. Slowly, she lifted her neck on her tall withers and blinked roughly. The once saddened lines of her delicate face were turned into harsh, stubborn lines. Even though spring had begun to turn the southerly winds in their direction, the mountainous tundra was cold. The bitter breeze was a welcome distraction from the aching in her heart, and she embraced the burning sensation in her tulip, furry ears. She knew that the bright light of a new future was too good to be true; the only solution to this new life would be a new home entirely. Now, she could not leave Djinn or the others who had grown fond of her, before.

When he turned away, she stared hard at the horizon, taking a moment to breathe, collect her thoughts. The normal Phi would have been a curtain of mystery, her true thoughts and feelings hidden behind a wall she had built long ago. But a Phi without memories was a way to worm straight to the heart, straight into her soul. Now, she was rebuilding that wall, piece by piece as the sun began to set behind snowy mountains. The perimeter was small and weak, but soon, it was built. She could hide her heart inside and mask her emotions to a small degree.

Words, kind words she did not deserve hit her ears, and she turned to glance at her friend she did not know. She knew what he said was true, so she nodded slowly, hesitantly meeting his gaze. "You are right. Honesty and the truth have a way of bring seen, regardless," she murmured, thinking on the fact that she had a sister. The ghostly smile was encouraging, but she did not need forgiveness or comfort. She needed pain. She needed to know that her selfish actions were not going to be ignored. The punishment of sorrow should fit the crime of ignorance.

She watched when the great stallion lowered his neck, and she furrowed her brows, moving closer. Gently, she touched her whiskered muzzle to his shoulder, a kind gesture of comfort which she would give but would not accept in return. "Do not be troubled," she said, pulling back to look into his strange eyes. "Your honesty is just, and I am safer now, knowing who I am." Was? Ophelia needed to find this sister of hers, somehow. The young mare attempted a smile that was rather twisted with sadness, but it was a valiant attempt regardless.

CARRY YOUR CROSS

roni