the Rift

Chapter 1: The Pompous Young Stallion

Rishima Posts: 137
World's Edge Moon Advocate
Mare :: Equine :: 16.2 :: 15 Buff: NOVICE
Kali :: Common Griffin :: Draining Clutch Charks
The more time I spent in his presence, the more I had to wonder if the stallion has a death wish. I watched him insult everybody who approached him, in turn, a bratty young thing who would quickly find out that isolating potential friends was not the best plan for life, in the long term. Although I must confess, his reaction to Smoke's Zaffre was simply spectacular. While the little blue was nowhere near as intimidating as my sister's bonded, he was certainly impressive. A burst of fire from a flying lizard is enough to take anyone unsuspecting by surprise, and I wondered how the brat would respond to this added bit of intimidation. I shook my head at the burst of flame; while the fire did not touch me, Zaffre was sitting close enough for the heat to roll across my neck, a slightly overpowering warmth for someone who preferred cool nights. Dark eyes glittered as I watched the stallion for his reaction.

Finally, the creature gave a name. Atlas, he said - and I cannot help but wonder if it's appropriate, or ironic. The Atlas of legend, I had learned on my travels, carried the weight of the earth on his back; this creature only seemed to carry the weight of his own superiority complex. I had not heard him sound pleased at all, until he told us his name, as though the thought of himself was the greatest music to his ears. Narcissus would be more appropriate. I snorted softly in agreement with Smoke's assessment of his manners. Surely this stallion will save himself from the precipice he stood upon, before his words sent him tumbling down? But ah, it was too late. A thick, familiar scent permeated the clearing, heralding the voices that rang out mere seconds later. Upon my velveteen maw, a cold smile broke. My brothers had arrived.

I nodded a greeting to the terrible pair, pleasure visible in my eyes. Sure, we mares could have handled this little mongrel on our own, but it was nice to see the boys in their element. And while usually I would have been frustrated by their unorthodox methods of persuasion, they were welcome here. The stallion was surrounded, now - surrounded by four warriors and myself, and I could fight with hooves as well as words. Smoke spoke up from beside me, a dare in her calm voice, a dragon in her haunches. The painted mare, Solstice, was clearly angry at Atlas's behavior. And my brothers could crush the young beast like a fly.

It was my turn.

I drew myself up to my full height as I approached the stallion, and while there was not a great difference between his size and my own, I knew better how to hold myself. There was confidence in every line of my body, confidence and majesty, and more than anything, authority. With over a decade of life under my belt, I had seen more than this little stallion could imagine, had endured more, and it showed in my black eyes. I was less than a pace away from him when I stopped, and a cold, emotionless murmur escaped my lips. "Atlas," I intoned, voice deep and low but loud enough to be heard by my companions, "You are not in your home anymore. You are in our land, and you have not proven yourself to be a good guest. You have amused my brothers, and believe me, you do not want to be their plaything. And before you assert your strength, think. Look around. You are outnumbered." I stepped closer now, bringing my ebony face closer to his own. "If you do not behave on your own, we will make you."

Throughout the interaction, I kept myself calm, my emotions hidden. It would take more than this child to phase me, but hopefully he would heed my warning and quell his tone. I stepped back, defined muscles rippling under my dark coat, until I stood once more beside the grulla Smoke. "There are three herds here, Atlas, but perhaps you would do well to try living in the wilds of Helovia for a time." My comment is aimed at Smoke and Solstice as well as the stallion, a suggestion for the younger mares. Ultimately, if they still extended an invitation for Atlas to inhabit their home it was upon their heads, but I personally felt the brat would benefit from having to fend for himself for a time. Let him appreciate good company, before he was gifted it.

Messages In This Thread
Chapter 1: The Pompous Young Stallion - by Atlas - 06-01-2012, 09:33 PM
RE: Chapter 1: The Pompous Young Stallion - by Atlas - 06-02-2012, 09:15 PM
RE: Chapter 1: The Pompous Young Stallion - by Atlas - 06-05-2012, 11:35 AM
RE: Chapter 1: The Pompous Young Stallion - by Rishima - 06-10-2012, 05:33 PM