the Rift

Save me from the Sun

karlin Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Karlin
Is my heart of gold?

The sun was hung like an unwelcome reminder in the empty sky. Though it was father away than anything, to Karlin is seemed as if he could have knocked it down with his hooves, should he try to kick it.
It's heat surely burned close.
The trodden-down grasses beneath his hooves could feel it too, and their hue reflected it. He had tried to consume these grasses but was left with a bitter taste on his tongue, and so hadn't tried again.
As he limped across the open expanse of dirt and feeble food, he couldn't help but wonder what on Earth he had done to deserve such treatment.

Letting out a regretful snort, he lifted his head and shook it weakly. It was stiff from his hanging it so low to the ground for so long, and his mouth was dry from the lack of water. His once powerful and rippling muscles were sore and shrunken, and hung loose on his large body.
Food felt so long ago.

As he scanned the area, however, a rippling form appeared in the distance. It appeared to be green and lush, and for half a moment he nearly believed it. He decided that it was a figment of a weary mind, yet followed it blindly. Hoof by hoof, regret by regret.

He eventually realized that it seemed to be growing nearer, and more defined. His spirits lifted, and his eyes grew hopeful. It seemed to be a forest.
Karlin broke into a trot, though his body protested, and chased the green twinkling so mercilessly on the horizon. It would be long, yet, before he reached it, but he could not help but force himself faster and faster, wanting the trees to swallow him up and save him from the horrible reminder of the sun, and the dry death of what had kept him so whispily alive. His hooves, however, thought differently, and his misused legs crumpled beneath him.

He lay in the dirt a while, and thought nothing. He stared unseeing at the sun and its mocking indifference. He didn't notice the rabbit he had scared into its burrow. The trees meant nothing to him.

He also failed to notice the shape coming toward him, and the sound its hooves made as they stopped before him.
The only thing he noticed was the voice when it spoke.

""

Kimber Posts: 82
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 4 (Ages in Tallsun) Buff: NOVICE
Kaiden :: Common Kitsune :: Electric Kachie
"Mister? Hello, are you okay?" A slender shadow was cast over him as a dark face, bisected by white, leaned over his own. Deep blue eyes peered down at him, dark ears tilted forward as concerned curiosity played over her young features. She'd seen him, rushing toward the trees with something akin to eager desperation. And she'd seen him fall, collapsing in a plume of dust and not rise again.

So she'd come out here to investigate, only to discover that he was bigger than she could ever hope to lever to his feet and prop up long enough to get to somewhere safer. Cautiously she nosed his shoulder, noting the heat radiating from his body. Heatstroke? She was a terrible choice to diagnose such things, for she'd never paid that much attention when Mother was tending the ill and the wounded. But this... she was sure she could do something about.

With a thought she drew the watery creatures that nestled beneath her mane out into the sun, scampering down her neck and bouncing from her poll to the strange stallion's side. They were cool to the touch, from having rested out of the sun for so long. "Can you stand?" she inquired, monitoring the watery ferrets as they scurried back and forth, lending a cool dampness to this victim of the sun. "You almost made it to the shade of the trees, but it'd be a bit further to find some water for you, if you're thirsty." Absently it occurred to her to wonder how together he was, whether he'd even understand what she was saying. But she had no way to help him beyond what she was doing unless he got up under his own power.

Unregistered

Karlin
Is my heart of gold?

A dream, he thought to himself. The voice is a dream.
But then he opened his eyes, and the form of a mare, young and moderately sized, was before him. His mind whirred, but his face showed no signs of recognition or even comprehension, and he looked as unconscious as when he had when his eyes were closed.
She said something again, and the sound was muffled and twisted, so there was no understanding her. However, as if on her command, he felt sudden spots of coolness on his burning hide. He gave a startled jerk and with the help of the gentle cold, regained full awareness. Life flowed back into his body, and dripped down to his legs from the tiny footprints that bloomed upon his coat.
He rolled over onto his legs with difficulty, and shook his head determinedly to clear his mind. When he could again see, he looked up at her. She was a young pretty thing.

"Madam, you are an angel," he began. Shaking his mane to remove the worst of the dust, he began to rise slowly. As he regained his feet, he regarded her closely. She was mostly dark bodied, but with light features that adorned her like crown jewels. Her bright eyes held concern.

"I assure you that you have saved this soul. " He gave a small bow. As he straightened again, he noticed the small water ferrets that had settled themselves across the mare's back and determined that the cooling on his skin was their doing.
He was fascinated with them, but put the thought aside as he was determined to thank his savior.

"I thank you deeply, from the bottom, Nay, the whole of my heart. It was not this stallion's time to die, as determined as the gods may be to have the deed done. Though I beg to thank my savior in direct reference. I am Karlin. Pray tell me, miss. What is your name?"

Hidden Account
A vague flutter of relief floated through her as he opened his eyes at the sound of her voice, but was dampened by the blank stare he gave her. It made her uneasy, seeing that utter lack of comprehension in the gaze of anyone. Just how far gone did you have to be to just... not be able to wrap your mind around the fact that someone stood before you?

The first real signs of life he gave were when her water ferrets touched up. He jumped, and so did she, leaping straight back on stiff legs. Her ears swept back instinctively, watching as he lurched more-or-less upright. Slowly her ears tilted forward again, head lowered and muscles still taut with wariness as she watched him struggle to come to his senses. She was aware of coolness sweeping around her forehooves, the ferrets having retreated to her when she jumped, and a thought had them sweeping up her legs to perch in the small hollow of her back.

And then the stranger spoke, and she blinked at him in bafflement. He called her an angel??? Why, she couldn't comprehend, and it was with a wary concern that she watched him lumber to his feet. His eyes studied her as closely as she studied him, and she wasn't entirely what to make of this stallion who was so free with nonsensical compliments.

As he continued to speak, she deduced that he was one to speak in flowery terms to start with, and that set her more at ease. Her posture loosened, head lifting with a confident air. Her ferrets blurred and melded, forming into the fox that also kept her company. It watched the stranger with an air of amusement, jaws agape in a mimickry of how its more corporeal cousins would behave in such weather.

At last, in the end of a string of polite effusiveness, he introduced himself. Karlin. And asked her name. "Kimber." She offered her name simply, shrugging slightly. "You're welcome. We should get back to the trees before the heat gets to you again." Her words were matter-of-fact, and partially out of defense. She still wasn't sure what all he'd been talking about half the time, and she really didn't want him to fall over again. She turned, taking a few steps and waiting to see if he was going to follow before starting back toward the shelter of the trees.

Unregistered

Karlin
Is my heart of gold?

Karlin's eyes swept over her. He took in the sight of her, another horse. How he had looked forward to seeing another equine such as himself! There had been wild asses and antelope, and even zebra on his journey, but he longed to belong in the company of horses. He hadn't even seen another horse since he has three years old, and now here was a key to the chest that he had locked away.

He noticed the look on her face. It read clearly that he had said something to unsettle her, and he was frightened for a moment that he had lost the chance he may have had to belong with horses again.
However, then she answered his question with her name. Kimber.
When she suggested, rather bluntly, that heading into the forest would be a good idea, he was more than happy to follow.
His fear softened a bit, and he stepped gratefully in the the soft chill of the surrounding trees.
The sun released its harsh grip on him, and his step became less weary. He listened closely to the sound of the animals hidden all around him, and tried to understand. He could hear the chorus of many birds, and the chatter of rodents, as well as footfalls alongside his own and Kimber's. He let he lead, until he once again spied the water creature resting on her back and fell into step beside her.
"If you don't mind me asking," he said quietly. "What is that peculiar creature?" He made sure to sound as polite as possible, not wanting to offend.

"And," he continued, "Do you know of anywhere I could rest and perhaps find water?"

""

Hidden Account
Movement set her more at ease, lending a casual spring to her step and a swish to her tail. The cover of the tree canopy renewed her confidence with the knowledge that home was nearby. Her gaze drifted automatically to the west, instinctively locating the direction in which the Foothills lay. She could almost forget the heavy hoof-falls that shadowed her, but that would just be rude.

Karlin's steps quickened as he moved up beside her, and Kimber glanced up at him. Seeing his gaze on the fox that sat quite comfortably on her back, she smiled even before he could ask the question so blatantly on his mind. "Its a fox made out of water." She stated the obvious with a matter-of-fact air, then grinned. "It is my magic, to summon and control creatures of water. The God of the Earth granted them to me when he visited my home, his lands. For now I can only call on the fox or the ferrets, but I have hopes to strengthen my magic soon." It was pleasant to have someone actually be honestly curious about her watery companions.

"My home is closest, of all the lands here of Helovia. The Foothills. They're just west and north of here, but you'd have to meet my nephew if you wanted to stay on a more permanent basis. He leads there." Pride was quite evident in her voice as she spoke, and a question lit her blue eyes as she studied the painted stallion that walked beside her. How far would he follow her?

Unregistered

Karlin
Is my heart of gold?

Karlin watched the fox intently as Kimber spoke.
To him, it evoked thoughts of renewal and growth as he remembered the way it had restored him. He felt as if his being itself had permanently been changed by this encounter, however subtle the change may be, and was grateful.
He gave a jolt as she finished speaking and was brought back from his thoughts.
"Your nephew? Well that is simply lovely."
He gave her a smile as he tried with difficulty to hide the tone of hatred in his voice. Of course, he certainly wasn't angry at her and was far from hating her.
But stallions were another story. He hated stallions.

He glued his eyes to the fox again to distract him from the thought of other males. It looked back at him, seeming to be searching through his soul like pages of a book and learning all there was to know. It unsettled him, so he looked away.
"I would, of course, be more than grateful for a home. It has been many seasons since I had a place to call as such, and I sorely miss settling in a single area." he confessed. "Is there any way I could meet with your nephew to gain his approval?"
HE had fallen back behind her again so she wouldn't see the expression on his face, which looked somewhat less sane than it did before. It was contorted in anger and his eyes were burning, but he kept his voice steady, and controlled himself.
"There is nothing more that I desire than a home."
Yes, indeed. He would even learn to bow to a stallion to have a home.
""

Hidden Account
There was something... off about the way he responded to her statement about Jackal. Her blue eyes were questioning as she paused to look back at Karlin, who had fallen behind. There was a smile on his face, but even she could tell that it didn't quite reach his eyes. She wanted to ask, learn what had disturbed him. But he was distracted, focused upon the watery fox that returned his gaze with an intensity the innocent young mare was not consciously capable of. An intensity the painted stallion seemed not able to meet for long.

She blocked his path, a small gesture from a mare so much smaller than he, gazing up at him with wary curiosity even as he spoke of having a home. "I can get ahold of Jackal or Dei easily enough, if they are within the bounds of the Foothills and not off on some mission or another." It was simple truth, for she knew at least the bronze dragon would keep an ear out for her. He'd heard her and came to her beckoning with alacrity when she'd brought Adele home.

"What is wrong, Karlin?" She did not know to name the emotion that contorted his features, only that he'd not looked this way only moments before.

But she was destined to get distracted from questioning him, for the fox from her back sprung aside, drawn by something. Her head swung to follow it, ears swiveling forward when she spotted it hovering over a spherical egg nestled in the underbrush. Without much thought to her actions, she moved to claim it for her own. In the end she returned with it hanging in a tangle of vines from the woven stone necklace around her neck. The fox was settled on her back again, looking quite pleased with itself.

(( Better late than never, Kimber 'finds' her kitsune's egg from birthday giveaway. ))