the Rift

Mirror Problems [Open]

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil

He seemed lost, and it was so unlike him that for a brief moment, the Empress felt as though she had been transported to another place, another time. Had she been happy there? Would she be happy again? Or had it all been a lie, a wish, a dream...? Her speech had broken the spell, and she regretted that now. Would it have been easier to bow to him, to invite him back to the throne? To pretend that everything was still as it was? No - it would have been a lie. Things were different now, she was different. And he was too. Broken, almost - no, that's not right. The Ice King did not break. Did he?

He turned to face her, the movement quick, harsh. And then his voice boiled around her, filling the cavern with his frustration. At first she might have mistaken it for anger, but something was missing - it was not at her that he yelled, his voice thick with emotion. No, he yelled instead to her with a mighty release that she had never seen from him. He whirled again from her, and she was left to stare at him from behind, a startled look in her eyes. Perhaps it was for the better that he hid his face from her, for it was a blessing that she did not have to wear a mask for that moment. His words had left her with more questions than before. "...the faces of those I know stare back at me with personalities I don't know..." But it was only a dream. Wasn't it?

A part of her desperately wanted to ask, wanted to give voice to the question, wanted to know if he, too, remembered what it had been like to stand together, hiding nothing, standing behind no facades, simply existing together, alone, somewhere other than here. But it had been here, hadn't it? Just a different version? Amber gaze looked to the floor, brows knit in confusion. Why couldn't things just be simple? And she remained silent for a moment, his lyrics still playing on repeat in her auds.

In her dream, she had been afraid to go to him, but something propelled her forward now. Soft steps could be heard, hesitant steps, but she halted beside him. She had not gone so far as to see his face; no, that was a privacy that she would leave him. Instead, she reached out to touch her maw to his shoulder. If he moved away, he would feel only the slightest breath of air; if he stayed, the velvet softness of her muzzle would brush delicately over the rougher hair of his shoulder. That is, if she didn't simply pass through his ghost. But then he would be the one that wasn't real, not her. She was real. This was real. Wasn't it?

"I am real, as far as I know," she told him softly, the slightest hint of humor in her vocals. "I do not expect you to have a plan." It was the closest to an apology that she would get. "But the word of your return will spread, and I..." she would not admit her fears to him, that her herd would return their allegiance to their once-king. "They might expect a plan from you. The herd." She took a step back, giving him space again, watching him with a cool gaze. Perhaps there was a hint of sadness there, but really... who's to say in that light?

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
Inhale. Air, burning cold in his lungs, slipped in. Exhale. Warmed by his body, his life, it slipped out, pooling like steam in the cavern. Inhale. He could taste her upon the air, her familiar scent teasing his memories. Exhale. Let it out, let it out, let it out...

.. but keep the tears inside.

He saw only darkness, as the quivering breaths rasped in and out of his throat. Every once in a while a shudder ran through him, a small gasp as he fought to keep down the flood, yet a few tears slid past his lashes, painting wet trails across his cheeks. Through the darkness he could hear her steps, each like the ripple on a pond after a rock has fallen through, shaking like an earthquake through the stone floor and up his trembling legs. Slow, he told his heart and his lungs, breathe. He would not drown in these emotions, die naked in front of Psyche — that it was her, of all, to see his weakness... Was she coming now, horn first, to quietly slide it in between his ribs and puncture his heart, to feel its last movements reverberate along her horn as life fled him?

The world stopped turning, and his heart stopped beating.
So softly, the plush tip of her muzzle rested against his quivering shoulder, before slowly brushing across the pristine white. He could feel the faint wash of her breath against his skin, the tenderness of her touch before she rocked back, away from him. The air suddenly felt ten degrees colder.

Perhaps it was both a blessing and a curse that it was her, who saw this mess — she knew the game, the masquerade, so very well.. shared in it, even, and for a moment he had remembered who she used to be, before she went away.. how they had interacted. What they were now, were as much his fault as hers, for he had rejected her when she came back, wary and distrustful.

It was as if the shattering of his walls had tumbled some of hers down, too. Her voice, it had its usual rises and falls, but so much softer, as if she suddenly was someone else. Briefly, he recalled all the times her black body had wound around his, her open, loving heart and adoring amber eyes pleading for him to love her back and return her warmth — would it have been easier to trust her words, if she had met him with cold malice, taken advantage of her weakness to secure her position and ridicule him? Was this only a stranger wearing a familiar face, after all?

Her words trailed off into silence, but Mauja did not open his eyes. When had the jackal-heart ever left a sentence unfinished, groped for words, not known what to say? He could hear the shuffle of her hooves on the rock as she backed off a step.

The moist warmth in his eyes had faded; his heart had slowed its pace, and while a tremble yet lingered in his body, his breath came steadily. Blinking away the darkness, Mauja turned halfway around, showing his face, the glimmer of a few tears upon his cheeks, and looked upon her. She was the same Psyche he had always known, down to the feathers in her mane, but her voice, her.. unfinished sentence... Would the mask shift back into place now that he looked upon her, or would his nakedness bring her further out? Sometimes there was strength in not hiding. "Who are you?" he asked her quietly, knowing that it was unfair, how he always asked her the hard things. In silence he breathed for a few moments, before his ears slowly rotated back. "Who are we?"

His wet eyes traveled up her face, searching for hers.
angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

They were more alike than she had previously known, though perhaps she saw it now. They wore their masks, the pair of them, clinging to the masquerade as though it was their lifeline in this incomprehensible thing called life. Who were they, really, when they danced behind their respective facades, never showing who they truly were - or did they even know? Had they just adopted that which they showed to others? Or was there something else hidden deep within, a softness, a weakness, a fear, a trust...? It was a question that she did not consider, though whether she would not or could not was another question in and of itself. Questions upon questions upon questions - such was what the FrostHeart brought her, be it in her dreams or in her reality.

But what was her reality now?

What had she become in his absence? Had she gone soft, turned into a weakling, someone fit only to lead within her lands but never to reach for more? Had she become content? Complacent? For years she had been one unicorn, her mind set on one goal, never deviating from the path set for her by her father, never questioning her birthright, never forgiving those who had abandoned her, never moving forward - but she had moved forward, hadn't she? No - to think that she had would be to lie to herself. She had gotten nowhere until the past year. She had killed and terrorized only a handful of those she hated, after all, and what mark had that made upon the masses? None. She had migrated to Helovia, fleeing her father's stupidity and wrath, and she had found something that could have been love, once, and what had she done with it? Nothing. And then she had returned to fight against those she hated once more, to no avail. She had accomplished nothing. Had done nothing.

And then everything had changed. Mauja disappeared, and she had stepped up, walked forward, given those who were lost a path to follow. Perhaps they did not believe what she believed. Once, that would have disgusted her, but she had adapted. After all, did they not all want to live amongst their own kind? Faelene, for example, did not hate the inferiors as the jackal did, but she had no love for the herds that had moved against them. And wasn't she more useful than the majority of the Plague? Had she not proven her loyalty to the Basin and to its Lady? She had evolved, changed, morphed into that role that she had been called into. Here she was, the Dark Empress, the Lady of Aurora Basin. She had moved forward, moved up, gained rank, gained respect, gained so much since departing from that path set for her, since adapting to this new way of life.

Once she would have considered it weak, but now she was not so sure. Could it be that this situation, that showing her true feelings to the Ice King, would be the same? Was it really weak of her to show affection, to show concern? Or would it only make her stronger in the end, like her other actions had done? "Who are you?" he asked her, and she remained silent for a moment, collecting her thoughts, emotions - and then she stopped, took a shaky breath. Did she need to hide even now, when she could see him stripped bare before her? Would he believe her if she offered him the same courtesy? "Who are we?" he added after a moment, and she was left in more confusion than before, breaking down ever-so-slowly under his icy gaze, his tear-streaked face toward her now.

When she spoke, it was a whisper. "I don't know." It was the truth. Who she was now was not who she had once been, but how did she explain that? She knew that things had changed, that she had changed, but she hadn't the words to tell him. A thought occurred, and when she voiced it, her lyrics were stronger, surer, though still soft. "I don't know who I am, and I don't know who we are. Nor do I know who you are. Things have changed, Mauja, both within us and around us. All I know is what we can be." We. Together. Us. Future. The concept was there, the beginnings of the thoughts to form in her mind - but it was not yet a fully functional ideal, the thought of a reign together, of a life together. Perhaps it would never even come to light. But for that brief moment, the faintest glimmer of a spark lit inside her heart, and slightest flare of hope in her mind. She gave it no name, but it was there.

His eyes were on hers now, and she waited.

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.
Ascended Helovian

I'm looking at you through the glass, don't know how much time has passed...

The frigid air froze the tears on his cheeks, crystalline beauty in an ever-changing world, and his lashes beat rapidly to blink it away before all of him would turn to ice. Each slow beat of his heart seemed to reverberate through a hall of fragile glass, the cracks spreading with each shudder it took in his chest, just waiting to crash down in an iridescent display, each splinter a prism. His breath had calmed, growing slow and steadfast, each exhalation quiet, rising towards the ceiling of the cave. She was silent, and he was stable again — though, if she looked closely, she would see the shimmer of tears, before they were blinked away. Some part of him had expected her to push him for an answer, to demand he know what to do, but she hadn't. And in that, she had given him the time to soothe his frayed nerves. Even as he willed his sides to rise and fall, slow and steady, he knew that it was not far away, that hitching rhythm and the warm swelling in the throat as tears were held back. Mauja swallowed. It would not take much for it to bubble up again.

Her voice was not so different from his. A mere breath. She was not hiding. She was not spitting poison and words to mask the truth. No. She told him the truth, and he drank it in, and sighed softly. I don't either, he thought dispiritedly, feeling the leaden weight of his heart. How could you figure something out, when you didn't know what you were aiming for? How could you fit the pieces of a puzzle together, when you had no idea what the picture was to show?

Did he even want to know?

Things had been, things had changed, and things had not come around again; she was different, and he was different, too. It would've been easy to go dumb for her, stop caring, and let her take the power — now she had it, without him shrouding his senses in a thick veil, to not see nor know what went on. For the first time ever, she had him at a disadvantage, but she wasn't pressing it. He was tired, worn, and no one, save for the memory of loyalty in the brains of others; she was everything, Queen and God should she so wish. In silence he stood, unable to find words, explanations, reasons, or anything else for the matter. He just wanted to forget, forgive, and sleep.

But he couldn't. For a moment, Mauja closed his eyes, and sought within his shambled self for pieces of what he had been, only to find that it was as if a hurricane had ripped through his mind. Duty had ever bound him; he had a duty to this herd, to keep going, even when he doubted and questioned himself. His own life was not his own, for the glory of their race. But he was not strong enough...

There it was again, his name falling from her black lips, and one ear twitched lifelessly to the sound, lost eyes seeing through her face and into nothing. "All I know is what we can be." The future. Five minutes from now on, tomorrow, in a week, a month, ten years — he blinked his listless eyes and focused them upon her amber gaze, the churn of life beneath their irises. And what is that? he wanted to ask, but his tongue felt numb in his jaws and he remained quiet, just staring at her. He knew that her words should've touched him somewhere, but it was hard to react when his name didn't feel like his own anymore. Mauja stood with his head high, proud, regal, alert; he did not cry softly and stare in silence like he did now. Blinking his eyes, he had barely been aware of it happening again, no longer feeling the bite as the supernaturally chilled cave froze them against his skin.

"Things always change," he finally murmured, his eyes never leaving hers. I'm so god damn tired, I don't know who I am anymore. Breathing in, breathing out, but no words came to his mind for a long time. "For better or for worse." As if he'd not paused at all. Slowly, he lowered his eyes, and closed them. To force himself together, would be to slip back into that icy masquerade. "I'm sorry," he finally said, hoarse and quiet, opening his tear-blurred eyes again and bringing them up to her face. "I don't know if I can be who you want me to be."

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

If she could turn back time to the first time they had loved, would she? Or had it been love then, back when they paraded around in their respective masquerades, never shifting from what others saw them as? She could not truthfully say, as she did not think that she had ever known love. When she had first come to know the FrostHeart, it had been an alliance for power, had it not? And when Valentine had claimed, once, to love her, had that not also been a lie? She, at least, did not love him, and she knew with his heated departure that he had never loved her as he so claimed. Not that she had cared. Even her daughter had not truly loved her, though that was a very different kind of love. No, Sno had disappeared, and when she chose to show her face, it was a face of disdain. A mask to hide the hurt inside. She had learned well from her parents, the shade knew now.

Perhaps, once upon a dream, when she had well and truly dropped her defenses, bared her tortured soul to the world - perhaps then she had loved, or been loved, or allowed some of the immaterial emotion to course through her veins. But when she had woken she had been even more pained than before, sent through chaos and back. She had experienced so much, then, so much that she had not even known lay dormant within her. But oh, what she had learned from it! She was not afraid anymore - no, her feelings did not scare her, did not truly strike her as a weakness. It was a revelation, and it was only a budding ideal, but it was there, as sure as the morning sun.

And now he stood before her, his soul bared, his eyes full, his heart open - and yet, she still could not say she loved him. She cared for him, yes. His presence was a soothing balm, yes. She was overwhelmingly pleased with his return, yes. But love? Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, she realized suddenly that she was comfortable exposing herself to him, comfortable with him knowing that she was not as cold and distant as others may think her to be. She preferred them to think that of her - but not him. Later she would wonder why he was so very different, what made him so very special, but at the moment, she simply stood, waited, silently watching his emotions pool in his orbs.

"I do not want you to be anyone but yourself," she finally spoke, her words simple. "I do not need answers from you. Things always change - you and I know this to be true." What was she referring to? Leadership? Feelings? Relationships? "But those that have followed all the way from the Edge - they will want answers. They will resist change. I may not need answers, but they will undoubtedly ask questions. Just... I don't want..." Again she struggled to find words. "I want..." What? What did she want? She shook her head.

"I hope you find who you want to be." The assertion came from nowhere, surprising even her; her gaze unwittingly went to his, her emotion clear in her amber orbs. A moment passed, and then another head shake. "Your place as our king remains, should you want it." Our. "Maybe not now, but in the future... it's still there."

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Ascended Helovian

Part of him had expected her to sneer, call him a useless weakling, turn on her heel and leave him alone in the cold, cold darkness. But she was silent, no scathing remark thrown back in his face as he professed his inability to be what he thought she was after — a great duo, two souls bound by a common goal, the fearsome promise to the world they once had sought to speak.. some part of him wasn't comprehending the fact that they were truly past that in that moment. What if she'd only been revealing herself to bait him? But even that notion felt hollow. It was only memory and reflex which made him expect a switch back to the normal, but nothing came. Silence, punctuated by his somewhat ragged breath, his wet, blue eyes on hers. She seemed.. softer, somehow — gentler, but the blood-like marks on her horn would not let him forget, ever, what she was, what she could be. But just as he bore a horn of ice, yet had warmth in his soul.. he blinked, slightly, thinking that if he could be so, then maybe she could be, too.

Nothing had prepared him for her words. Nothing, not even his half-formed thoughts of this all being a game, for if anything, what she said so thoroughly shattered that notion forever. Nor had his straying thoughts, which had touched upon her being a creature capable of warmth and care, prepared him for the depth of what he heard. "I do not want you to be anyone but yourself," she said, and he felt one ear flicked to the sound of it. A moment later, once the surprise washed away, he felt like kicking himself. What on earth had made him think she wanted something perfect, someone who fit the mold of her scheme nicely? Old habits died hard, though, and he'd expected she'd wanted something great back, someone who was strong and charismatic — not this old piece of a wreck. Without taking his eyes off hers, his head craned down a fraction, listening. What she said was true — those who had followed him, when she left, would probably not be too pleased if Psyche trampled all over him or he failed to show strength. Damnit. Why had he had to come back in front of a crowd? Word would spread. No time to rest. Beyond these moments in this dark, cold cave with Psyche, he would have no time to formulate a tale, answers. And the truth? Part of the truth could work, the physical part of it...

Her voice faltered, and the inch his head had drooped was reclaimed in a swift movement of near-surprise. She was searching for words, again? Breathlessly he waited for her to finish, reining in his wild speculations, until she finished with something that, to him, almost sounded lame coming from her, but she said it confidently — it was just the content, the meaning, which nearly had him gaping at her. Who I want to be... But could who he wanted to be, be who he needed to be? Knowing that he was in no fit state to ponder it, he merely said her name, a hushed, half-strangled exhalation: "Psyche...". How come he had never known who she was, how deep she could be, how (much as the notion made him want to frown) understanding? (Maybe because you never cared to get to know her.) What they had had, had almost felt like truthful camaraderie, but now he knew that it had not been that. It had been a game, just like everything else.

And then, she said, one moment, that he was still their King if he wanted to, and the next, not now. It almost made him smile, but he didn't. Instead, he just watched her with mild curiosity, sensing that she was done, yet wondering who she really was. Did she have doubts, too, in her heart, or was she as strong as she seemed? "Perhaps," he began in a cautious voice, feeling his thoughts spin, ordering themselves slowly as he spoke. "It is best for everyone if I am seen neither shunned to the lowest rank, nor given everything I had back in an instant." His eyes flickered to the bright mouth of the cave for a moment, before flitting back to her. "Those who lived under my reign would not feel as if you scorn me, and those who have lived only under you would, hopefully, not feel as if a stranger was allowed in to walk all over them..." His eyes kept blinking, though he barely noticed it anymore — it all needed to come out in some way, so why not as tears when no one but she saw? "It'd also give me time to collect myself," he said quietly, knowing that it would be disastrous if he had a fit like this in public. He almost went on, to ask of the Plague, but stopped himself. Better to take one thing at a time, one step at a time, and instead he let his blue eyes come to rest on hers, a questioning tilt to his head as he wondered what she would have to say.