the Rift

To Spread My Wings [Mirage]

Aaron Posts: 260
World's Edge Protector atk: 4.5 | def: 8.5 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Equine :: 15.3 hh :: 6 Years HP: 67 | Buff: NOVICE
Alanna :: Common Hellhound :: Energy Drain Emily

Battle tired the young warrior returned to World's Edge. He had lost, but somehow was still allowed his freedom. It seemed during the fight his mother had made it to safety. Well that was all well and good. His walk back had given him alot to think about, most of which was where he called home. His mother was happy in World's Edge.... He was happy as a part of the Qian... But somehow he was no longer happy as calling World's Edge home. When he had gone and spoken to Kimber, he had begun to think. That thinking had led to a choice. It was this choice that now had him seeking out Mirage. He had heard the flapping of dragon wings as he had called out his challenge. She was free and back on her throne in the Edge as she should be. But he however needed to find himself out from under the role he had taken on.

Chocolate eyes kept looking for a sign of gold or black, either the black mare herself or her bonded golden dragon. He had thought this over long and hard was leaving the Edge. He spoke calmly not shouting as if he knew she would hear him without raising his voice. "Mirage I need to speak to you" He stopped then, just waiting for the WeyrLeader to arrive. He was not ready to settle in the Edge, and was hoping to return to the Windtossed Foothills and grow into his own away from family for a while.

"talk"

In Nomine Patris Et Filii
Et Spiritus Sancti

Please Tag Aaron in All Posts
Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Aaron at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit

The efforts of one of the longest-staying Protectors had not been lost upon the mare. He was young, and still rough around the edges, but his heart was in the correct place, his honour was in tact. Mirage knew of his efforts towards trying to release the prisoners, she knew of the way he had met others at the borders of his homeland, she knew of the help he had been. And she fully intended on rewarding him for his efforts.

So it was with a smile that the mare did hear his summons, soft and gentle as it danced its way to her ears, as if carried by the mists of the lands. She was surprised to hear the quiet seriousness that the voice held, sadder still to smell faint memories of blood. Had he not been healed from his challenge yet? Akaith warbled softly above her, winging her way swiftly towards where the large, painted steed was standing awaiting their presence.

Upon light, dancer's steps, she moved towards the summons, her façade gentle and soft, but still impassive, giving away nothing of the concerns she felt for the tone of this meeting. "Aaron, it is good to see you!" She said with her smooth, kind voice, an angelic hum against the relative silence of the forest.

The golden dragon above them chortled her own greeting, before landing lighting upon her bonded's back, chatting and chirruping away in greeting to the stallion she had known since he was still but a colt, learning under the potentially dangerous guidance of Mirage's brothers.. With a small frown Mirage recalled the task they had sent him on, to these very lands.. But with a slight shake of her refined tiara, she refocussed upon the present situation.

larfsalot.deviantart.com

His frustration was high, his energy to fight was low. His body hurt from fighting for his mother's freedom, but he did not feel like he was a great warrior. Sure he was young, but he had been forced to grow up faster than most colts would have to. The loss of his father at barely a year old had him stepping up to give his mother a shoulder to lean on. Sure she had been his to lean on at first, but as she slowly had emotionally cracked he had been the one she leaned on. Because of this, his colthood was cut short. By nearly two years, he had been training under the duo Madryn and Maskan... Now after getting his butt royally kicked by D'Artagnan he knew that he still had much to learn from the brothers.

It had been to his surprise that he had returned to find that another had stepped into the role he had longed for. The rumors of the herd were that a pegasus named Sage had become the top warrior. His pride had been hurt even more, as he had never seen this mare before.. Not even when they had fought to gain the World's Edge as a home.. Was this even home to him anymore? A sting on his side made the painted draft wince, reminding him how nice it had been to have Kimber's cool and watery pets soothing the place where the glass horns had carved into his pelt.

Finally Mirage arrived, with Akaith taking her place above them both. Mirage's greeting was warm, reminding the young warrior why he had begun to follow her in the first place. "It's good to see you to Mirage, and welcome home..." His voice trailed off for a moment, struggling to put into words how he felt. It's not that he felt more important than the mare Mirage had placed as Captain, but he had been fighting towards it for so long... Instead he let silence fall between them as he struggled to put into words what was on his mind.

"talk"

Et Spiritus Sancti

Permission granted to use magic or physical force with Aaron at any time for any reason to any degree, with the exception of killing him.

He hesitated.

Not when he first began talking, but afterwards, he didn't seem to be able to hold her gaze, he allowed his usually strong voice to drift off, and he didn't pick it up again. The WeyrLeader noticed these subtle differences immediately, and it caused a small, barely discernible frown to crease the folds between her brows. What could be troubling her valiant warrior? His family had been returned to the World's Edge, he had proven his loyalty to her time and again. Swiftly her façade smoothed over, and the mare allowed an edge of concern to mar her visage, as she took another step closer to the painted steed, wishing a nurse or healer would come tend to his wounds before they were exposed to the elements for too long.

"What is it, Aaron?" Her voice was gentle, but direct, caring, but firm. She would not accept this hesitant, different behaviour from one she trusted. She wondered what she had done to earn his mistrust, to earn this hesitancy. Had she not always been approachable? Trustworthy? Kind? Accepting? Why did he balk at her now, why did he stand before her, lost in insecurities and unable to meet the eye of the mare he willingly called his leader? A deep breath was exhaled, a sigh passed through her lips, as Akaith settled quietly upon her withers, chirruping a curious sound to press the questioning air of the situation further.

What was happening here?

larfsalot.deviantart.com

What is it, Aaron? Her voice, at the very least the tone reminded him of his own mother. It was going to be hard enough explaining this to Mirage, but when it came time to tell his mother it was going to be just as hard. It was not that the painted warrior did not trust her, just respected her so much that to tell her he wished to leave and study more under her brothers was hard. The choice itself had been hard, but to know he was leaving with capable protectors in place made it a bit easier. The time for him to live in World's Edge had past. His mother had always told him to follow his heart and his heart was leading him away. With a deep breath he steadied his thoughts and his voice at the same time before speaking in a much stronger voice than before. "I wanted to speak to you, to let you know that I wish to return to the Foothills. Between my spar with Lace, and my fight against the one who held my mother prisoner..... I know I am not ready to hold any high positions as a warrior just yet.... Not to mention if I had been more aware, I could of kept you all safe to begin with..." Yes, there it was. Aaron blamed himself for not protecting the herd better. Sure, the others were just as much at fault but Aaron put the blame on himself.

He paused only for a moment before going on. "I will always belong to the Qian no matter where I call home, and be just a call away if ever I am needed... but I feel I need to grow as a warrior in ways I just can not seem to here. Your brothers are tough, but I learned a lot from the mission they gave me to come to these very woods. That is why I wish to continue learning from them as my mentors." Here he stopped again, allowing his gaze to meet the golden gaze before him. "Please know this has not been an easy choice, but I think this is best in order to become a better warrior."

"talk"

Et Spiritus Sancti

Finally, he released himself from this nervous silence and spouted the words Mirage dreaded to hear. I wish to return to the Foothills. The mare remained still, statuesque, absorbing the words like a stony cliff face absorbing the blows of the ocean. She had suffered similar when Daenerys had approached her, had spoken about her ill feelings towards the method by which Mirage was forced to take to secure a home for them. Had she truly failed all those who followed her? Had she failed to secure her promise made to them, to give them a home, a sanctuary where they would receive protection against all that would otherwise destroy them? Akaith brushed her mind gently, pulling Mirage away from her own thoughts of devastation, of betrayal, of the kind of darkness that would lead to things no-one ever wanted to see. It was by the graces of the golden queen that the little shadow mare did not succumb to the powerful emotions tumbling about within her, by the powers of Akaith's soul that Mirage's svelte ears and golden eyes were able to capture the woes of Aaron, as he claimed a need to grow, to develop, to better serve her mission in this world.

After what felt like a lifetime, the mare allowed a breath to pass through her nostrils. Her physique revealed nothing of the internal war she was fighting, the struggle to maintain her cool demeanour, her open and accepting gaze masked the anger she felt - anger at herself, for not seeing this need in Aaron, for not addressing it sooner, herself. For allowing his family to be plucked from the home she had promised would be a safe haven, for being blind to the needs of one of her most loyal protectors. With a nod, the mare accepted his words, her lips curving into a small, sad smile. "Thank you for telling me." Her voice was quiet, hushed as it travelled upon the salty breeze to his ears. "I hope you find what you need on your journey. The Qian supports you." With a smooth step, the mare closed the gap that remained between them, extending her muzzle to brush his forehead, blowing a small breath upon his brow; a blessing, even if it tormented her to do so. Still maintaining contact, the mare then cloaked herself, and with nothing more than a breeze and flash of golden left in her wake; she departed.

larfsalot.deviantart.com