the Rift

abandoned, open

Oras Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

O r a s

I can't believe what mummy has done to me. She left me, when all I ever wanted to do was make her happy. But she left. No - she didn't just leave me, she abandoned me, kicking and biting at my haunches, urging me to leave her alone, to just let her go far, far away. I love mummy...Now all I need to do is find her. Find her, and maybe we can be together again.

But I know that won't happen. Her wings...if I were to try and return to mummy, she would just fly away again. The thought brings tears to my eyes and I go into another fit of sobbing and hiccuping. Oh, mummy, why did she have to abandon me? Am I really that much trouble to her?

I lie down; more like collapse, really, on the grass in this new forest land. I wonder briefly what it could be called, and what all these new scents that are flooding into my head mean, who they belong to. It's a contradicting thought, so I lay my head down and close my eyes, still sobbing a bit here and there, streaks of invisible salt water tears running down my cheeks, tracing the markings of my blue lightning bolts.

I don't believe I have ever felt so alone, so empty inside. For only a month of experiencing life, I don't like it very much at all. I didn't even see the point in living now, I was merely white noise against the hustle and bustle of Helovia...

Aryel Posts: 229
Dragon's Throat Soldier
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.4 :: 4
FennecFyre

Aryel
I'm through accepting limits / 'cause someone says they're so.

Aryel wasn't sure what kept bringing her back to the Threshold. So far, it seemed that every time she came here she was met by snappish, arrogant creatures, usually unicorns. The pegasus had been trying to not let these experiences cloud her view of the horned equines, instead attempting to remember the much friendlier unicorns of her native Redrock valley. Here, though, it seemed they were all racist, ignorant brutes.

The soft sound of crying caused her ears to prick, pausing midstride. Whoever had made that cry sounded young, very young. Concern began to stir in her chest as the blue roan swiveled her ears back and forth, trying to pinpoint the sound. She was unsure if pursuing it, though. She recalled the pink-maned unicorn that she had met by following a shout, only to be ridiculed. But she had been a full-grown adult. This horse might just be a kid, and the wild was no place for a foal alone. At the very least, she decided, she would find out what was wrong. With a decisive snort, she trotted in the general direction of the voice, eyes straining to pick up any sign of movement among the trees.

When she first saw the colt, her eyes simply slid over it, mistaking his black body for another patch of shadow. Then the shadow moved slightly, drawing her attention to the electric-blue markings he possessed. She drew closer, lowering her head to be level with the foal in an attempt to seem less intimidating, stopping a few feet from the foal. He was obviously distraught about something, and a motherly instinct stirred in the diminutive warrior, a desire to help this little one. "What's the matter?" she asked quietly, hoping she wouldn't startle the foal.

"blah blah blah."

Some things I cannot change / but until I try I'll never know.

Thanks for the good times, and no hard feelings for the bad times.

Vicer and Aryel's new threads never happened.

Unregistered

O r a s

"What's the matter?" came a soft voice. Until that moment, Oras had been far to busy sobbing to take any notice that a mare had confronted him. The foal was so empty inside, he had barely even jumped when she spoke. Maybe it was because her soft words were so...lulling. He peered up slowly, taking in every aspect of the mare confronting him.

'She has wings, oh Gods, she has wings!' Oras thought to himself, panicking out of his mind. What she flew off, just like his mummy? The thought made him shudder as he scrambled up off the forest floor, his blue horn sparkling in the sunlight. He stayed in his place, his deep blue eyes dropping to the ground as he slowly found the words to reply to the mare.

"M-m-my mum..." Oras sniffled before continuing, "she - she l-left...left me." The words brought tears to his eyes once again as he clenched shut the dazzling blue orbs, plastering his ears to his head. Oras' chest heaved many times because of his sobbing, his whole body aching from the kicks and bites his mother had given him.

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Aryel

The foal hadn't seemed to be alarm by her appearance, but panic sparked in his eyes as he saw her wings. Self-consciously, she tucked them a little tighter against her back. Perhaps the unicorn was too young to have seen a pegasus yet. Just why was this colt on his own? He didn't look more than a couple months old, by all rights he should still be by his mother's side. He seemed too nervous to even look her in the eye when he spoke.

When he did speak, though, Aryel snorted in shock. "She left you?" she repeated, wondering how anyone could abandon their foal. She had heard of mothers having to abandon a weak child in times of hardship, but Helovia wasn't exactly a wasteland, nor did this foal seem sickly. "Why would she do that?" she asked, concern obvious on her face. Any initial distrust she might've felt towards this foal was gone, replaced by pity. There was no threat here, just a foal crying for his mother. She almost wanted to slip a wing over the little one and give him a shoulder to cry on, promising him she would watch over him in his mother's stead. Heck, she had half a mind to tell him just that, but the distraught child might need a moment to calm down before he started thinking about guardians.

And she didn't know if he already had somewhere to go now that his mother had left him. But she couldn't smell any herd scents on him, and there was nobody around. As far she knew, the poor kid was on his own.

"blah blah blah."

Lynx Posts: 73
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15 :: 5
Shoikan
LYNX

In the Threshold again. He doesn't know why he even bothers anymore, as he has no place to lead the lost. Perhaps it is simply the familiarity of the task that draws him here, or the driving need to make himself useful. Inactivity has never suited the small stallion. So, for whatever reason, he is here again, treading the same paths, easing through the trees that he knows so well that he could navigate them blind. Every time he comes here, he finds someone, roaming about as aimlessly as he, but completely disoriented. Lost. He knows the feeling, and that is the true reason he comes, the reason he seeks out others and guides them to wherever it is that they may wish to go. Once, the Dragon's Throat had been the default destination, the desert promising a home to those he led, and offering him a chance to rest. Now, he doesn't know where he will take any who he may encounter, only that he must take them somewhere.

A voice filters through the forest, the tail of a conversation that he cannot hear. Simply a murmur, the suggestion of a female's words, rather than a true voice, he supposes. Still, even this faintest of hints lures him from the trail, pulls at his hooves until he adjusts his course to intersect with that of the speaker. It does not take long to find her, winged and colorful, blue coat acting as a beacon in the green woods. Nor does it take but a few seconds to notice the little black colt who is obviously not hers. The species is wrong, as is the scent, for the mare reeks of heat and sand, while the foal is marked by cool air and flowers.

Protective instincts rise in the maimed buckskin, and though the pegasus lady shows no signs of wishing injury on the colt, he can't help but position himself slightly between the two, prepared to hurl his frame in front of the child should she prove to be a threat after all. Head lowers to the same level as the babe, and he hums a few low notes in an attempt to soothe. For as fierce as he appears, Lynx has never been able to resist foals, comforting all that he comes across and generally allowing them to command him as they please.

Unregistered

O r a s

The mare's snort only made Oras cry harder. He shook his head, unknowing of the words he needed. He didn't know why his mum left, or why she would even consider doing such a thing. He was always telling her he loved her, but all he would get in response was a harsh kick, or a bite that drew blood from his small, onyx body.

Oras was so caught up in his tears he barely noticed the dun stallion moving towards him and the blue mare until he heard a soft hum escape his throat. The colt slowly, but surely, opened his eyes to see the stallion who had lowered his head to his own. Oras willed his tears to stop as he stared at the new stallion. He gazed at his horn that cut into his cheek bone, then jutted out at his chin. The sight was bewildering, but his hum was comforting enough to make the colt look past his horn.

"I - I'm sorry you had to..." Oras started to speak to the stallion and mare, but sniffed a little before continuing, "had to see me like this. My name is Oras." He stared at his little black hooves, finding interest in their small ebony features that creased the blades of grass beneath him.

He wondered briefly where he would go, now that he had no mother. She was where he belonged, until she abandoned him. He glanced up at the mare and the stallion, hope sparkling in his deep blue orbs. Maybe he could find a new mummy...

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Aryel

Aryel looked up as a third horse joined them, a tawny buckskin stallion. At first, she mistook him for an equine, but when he turned his head she caught sight of his twisted horn than cut into his cheek and came out under his top lip. It was a shocking injury, but she had been raised better than to gape at it. As brash as she was, not even Aryel would make fun of an impediment like that. She blinked as the male moved slightly between her and the colt, and while he said nothing, his protective intent was obvious in his eyes. Perhaps he couldn't speak.

She gave a quiet laugh in response to his movement. "No need for that." she assured him. "I wouldn't lay a hoof on him." She spoke the truth. Aryel couldn't stand bratty children, but deep down she really did have a soft spot for children, and this soot-colored colt was hardly a brat. In fact, as he sniffled and apologized for being so upset, her heart practically melted with pity in a most un-Aryel-like manner. "Oh, sweetie," she said, "there's nothing for you to be sorry about." She took a step forward, blue-black eyes glancing to the male once to affirm she meant no harm. Her left ear twitched as he gave his name. "A pleasure to meet you, Oras. I'm Aryel." Her expression became more serious. "Listen to me. It is not your fault that your mother left you. She was the one who made the decision to abandon a foal who was too young to take care of himself." She tilted her head. "Do you have anywhere else to go, any relatives who would take care of you?" She fully intended to invite him to the Throat, but first she wanted to make sure he had no other options, and she wasn't unwillingly dragging a foal away from any herd or other guardian.

(Is Lynx in the Throat or an Outcast? His profile says he's in the Throat but his name is the Outcast color.)

"blah blah blah."

Solstice Posts: 93
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15 hh :: 8 (at time of death)
Emily
The trio had also caught the attention of the golden painted mother of three. True one was not of her blood but blood had never mattered to her. After all her own mother had adopted children... Well, a child.. Why couldn't she? She arrived as the child spoke, his voice shaking a slight bit. At her side tagged along her daughter, now six months old. Azale was growing quickly and soon would not need to be at her mother's side.. Even now it was only as a comfort to her dam... Solstice knew this. Hazel eyes glanced to the orange eyed child. As the pair arrived where the trio stood she took note of the way the stallion stood, the smoothness of the mare's voice and the young age of the little one. "What drives a mare to leave her child I will never understand..." She spoke softly before speaking again. "Like she said, you have no reason to be sorry... " Her heart broke for this child. It wasn't fair that the mother had left him on his own. She clearly did not need to be having babies if she was going to leave them to die... If no other suitable mother arrived, besides the mare that was already there solstice already knew she would take the child under her care... It would be up to the colt really, of who he decided to go home with. He had his choice. Hazel eyes looked over the pegasus mare critically. She too would be a good protector of the colt, but could not provide the milk he was sure to still need. Azale was weaning herself away, but Solstice still had milk despite being gone from her babies for almost all of FrostFall.

Azale wasted no time, moving past the protective stallion to stand at the younger foal's side. Comfortingly she unfolded her larger set of wings and placed the right wing across the back of the little one. She like her mother could not understand how someone could leave a baby by themselves. Kamien's mother had left him... Although the God of the Earth seemed to hint that there was more to it than it just that. At least his mother had taken him to the Vein of the Gods... This mother had just straight up left her child. Orange eyes looked to her mother questioningly, before pressing her frame to the little one's side. She looked at the other pegasus mare, envying her wings. They looked strong, where Azale at six months old still had not learned to fly. Softly she spoke looking at Aryel "Can you fly? My momma doesn't have wings so I do not know how to fly yet.." She young and innocent voice trailed off as she knew the look her mother must be giving her. Azale knew it was something that bugged her mother, as it was something the paint could never teach her. Orange eyes glanced to her mother before back to the older pegasus before her. Outside of her quest for magic to protect herself and her family, the young filly longed to learn to fly. It would make travel so much easier. It was only then she took a closer look at the stallion who had stepped up to protect the colt. It was the same wordless stallion who had been in the Throat. She kept quiet, knowing she would soon be returning to the Throat to try hunting there again.

Lynx Posts: 73
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15 :: 5
Shoikan
LYNX

The reassurance that comes from the pegasus does little to settle the buckskin, although he does calm slightly. She sounds sincere, but Lynx doubts that she would inform him of her intent should she actually want to harm the child. After all, everybody lied in order to protect themselves, and there were those who thought him rather dim, simply because of his mangled face. Thoughts are distracted however when the blackling speaks. Apologies? The repentant words of the colt strike a cord within the stallion, and he allows his muzzle to lightly drift along the babe's neck. There is nothing to be sorry for, but he understands pride, and the way it can be damaged by actions that may be perceived as weak. He had been the same way as a youth, and so the statement passes with no ill effect, quickly followed by the offering of a name. A slight smile crosses his maw, and again his head dips in polite acknowledgement.

Others arrive as the winged mare echos his own mindset, gently informing the foal that his apology had been unnecessary and introducing herself. His eyes rake over them, assessing, deciding whether or not to allow them closer to Oras. The painted lady is unfamiliar to him, gold and cream meshing together in way that is far too appealing for him to have forgotten had they ever met before, and though she seems kind he cannot help but bristle at her presence. Yet, the young girl that walks at her side is vaguely comforting, not only for her age, but because he remembers a previous encounter with her, before he had chosen to walk out of the Throat forever. He remains passive as the filly steps past him to stand with Oras, certain that she will not harm the motherless colt. His only reaction is a swish of his dark tail and the swiveling of a black-rimmed ear, before turning his attention back to the mares, watching them warily. He had heard too many stories of murdered foals to feel entirely at ease with them standing so near.

(OOC: So sorry for the delay! And Fennec, thank you pointing that out, I hadn't even noticed. To answer your question, Lynx was outcasted from the Throat with Leander.)

Unregistered
[Image: 50fb2261df739]

O r a s

Oras could feel his cheeks growing hot as the mares spoke, saying he had no reason to apologize. He had felt that the need to apologize was necessary, after all, he was in a disastrous state. Bruises and bites covered the small unicorn's small, slender black body, and his voice came close to trembling. The touch of the dun next to him, as well as the filly's, comforted the colt, relaxing him further. The new mare with a coat of gold and white smelled of milk and forests, just like the filly. He had no doubts in his mind that the pair were mother and daughter.

The colt's electric blue eyes trailed up to meet Aryel's, for she had asked him a question that needed an answer. "I have no where to go, and I don't have any family that I know of," Oras frowned. He had never known the love of a mother, or the protection of a father, if he even had anymore relatives, the colt doubted they would want him either.

Oras felt tears starting to gather at the edge of his eyes once again. Why was he so unwanted? He was just another nuisance to all these wonderful horses, a waste of space, even. He hastily blinked away his tears, he would not let himself cry anymore.

[OOC: It's fine, Lynx! c:]

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Aryel

(I know you're pretty much pulling them out, so Aryel will just react to them in this one post.)

They were joined by yet more horses, this time a pretty palomino equine mare and a young foal tagging along. A pegasus, but one with four wings instead of two. Both bore the scent of the Edge. The sight left Aryel curious, but strange wings weren't entirely unknown to her. Hadn't her own father been blessed with a pair of large, leathery wings, the fingers and "thumb" all ending in long claws? The mare agreed with what Aryel had just said, earning her a nod in greeting. She watched as the filly trotted towards Oras, gravitating towards the one closer to her own age in that way children had. Aryel smiled as the filly slipped a wing over Oras, trying to comfort him. Her ears pricked up as she spoke, addressing the blue roan. At the mention of flight, her own wings unfolded slightly, making a soft rustling noise. "It wasn't an easy thing to learn, but yes, I can fly." she said with a half-smile. Aryel as a fledgling had been a humorous thing to see, her once-stubby wings, now too big for her body, flailing madly as she galloped across the meadow under the watchful eye of her mother. Even a light-boned horse like herself still had trouble defying gravity for the first time. But in time, she had grown into her wings, now long, narrow, and powerful. She was sure this filly would grow into hers, even with the challenge of controlling two extra limbs. It was regrettable that her mother was unable to help her, but perhaps her herd could help. "If your mother cannot teach you, maybe another pegasus in the Edge can?"

Her face fell as Oras confessed he had no other relatives, or any fellow herd members. She had no idea what it was like to be so alone in the world at such a young age, but it couldn't have been pleasant. A foal his age should still be by the warm side of his mother instead of talking to strange horses in an unfamiliar forest. Her mind was made up. She just hoped it would go over well with Oras, as well as the buckskin. "Well," she began, shifting with slight nervousness, "I would never bring a foal somewhere unwillingly, but I happen to be part of the Dragon's Throat, a herd south of here, and have some standing, being a Sergeant. I'd like to offer you a home there, Oras, with I or another horse as your guardian." Surrogate parent seemed a little too familiar, and she didn't want to upset him. "I promise you that you would never want for protection or companionship there, and you would be growing up among horses that welcome you, instead of turning you away. If I recall, I think one of the Generals has a son named Cera who could be a good friend to you, too." She hadn't personally met the youngster, but she knew him to be a good sort. Now it was up to Oras, whether he went with the mare or struck out on his own.

"Speaking her mind." Rare moments of thought. Taking action.

Unregistered

O r a s

Oras flicked his ears back, biting his lip and hesitating. He wasn't in very good shape, and definitely need help to survive. It seemed only fitting to go with Aryel, to get a home and a family that would consider loving him.

"I'll go with you," Oras said finally, his electric blue eyes filled with determination. Thoughts flickering back to his true mother, the colt looked away from the blue mare. He could find a new mommy in Aryel's herd, he simply had to. A colt cannot simply go on living life without a family, especially one as young as Oras.

He gingerly touched Lynx's muzzle in appreciation of support, then stepped up to Aryel. She was much taller than himself, but he did mind. She'd keep him safe until they got to the herd, then Oras would find a mommy. The light fell upon his ebony coat, exposing bites and kick marks from his mother. They didn't hurt much, but they were visible.

Oras was dazed from the recent events that had happened in his life. He was so young, so new to the world, but already knew it as a place that hated him. Yet he was giving the world one last chance to redeem itself, to show him life could be amazing.

Dragon's Throat Soldier
FennecFyre

Aryel

For some unknown reason, Aryel's heart soared when Oras agreed to go with her. Maybe it was just mare hormones at work, or maybe she genuinely wanted to care for a protect him, but she was happy all the same. As Oras approached, she bent her head and gently exhaled into his nostrils, an equine display of friendship. "Hey," she said, catching his still-glum expression, "it's going to be all right." Whatever emotional wounds his mother had inflicted upon him, Aryel would do her best to heal. She lifted her head to look at the buckskin again, giving him a respectful nod. "I'll take good care of him." she said, before turning her attention back to the colt. "It's a bit of a trip back to the Throat, but we'll travel at an easy pace. When we get there, I'll have Onni or Cirrus heal your wounds for you. I'll also need to tell one of the leaders you're joining, but that won't be any problem at all. Kri has a child of her own, albeit a grown one, and I can't envision Sumati turning anyone away." Privately, she worried that suspicion might be cast upon Oras for his species, but hadn't Kri allowed Valentine, a long-time Basin horse, into their home? There was nothing to worry about. Briefly, her eyes strayed to his still-healing wounds, now very much visible as the sun shone onto his black pelt. She didn't want to pry into how he got them, but she could guess all too easily. Striking your own foal, she thought with disgust. Bucephalus had been a somewhat distant father, and Ariessa had been a strict mother, but neither of them had ever, ever struck or bitten her. Children shouldn't be raised by fear, and they certainly shouldn't be abandoned just because their mother didn't want to care for them. She shouldn't have mated in the first place. Aryel waited until Oras was ready, then turned and began walking away, southeast, looking back every now and then to check if Oras was keeping up and adjust her own speed if necessary. She couldn't wait to show this foal his new family.

(-exit Aryel-)

"Speaking her mind." Rare moments of thought. Taking action.

Unregistered

O r a s

Oras nodded his head, numb to almost all feelings, though he listened to Aryel. She was nice, and definitely restoring his feelings about the winged horses. His mother had been winged, she had abandoned him, but no matter. Aryel was like his new mother now.

The black colt stuck to Aryel's side, encased in her scent. He didn't recognize the smell of the land that hung over her, but he didn't think much of it. It was probably the land of the herd she had spoken of...the 'Throat.'

'It'll be your home soon,' Oras thought to himself, starting to smile. He'd have a home...

[OOC: -Oras exits-]