the Rift

[BASIN] Spirit of the White Bear[Psyche/open?]

Nisa Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

Nisa
Polar Bear | Female | 597

Actions | "Speech" | Thoughts

She hated birdsong. She hated everything about her life right now. The sun was beating down mercilessly on her heavily furred shoulders. Her large flat paws left large, clawed footprints in the mud as the dirt clung to her white fur. Her rolling walk was only serving to annoy her further. She flicked her ears to get rid of the flies and gnats that decided to buzz in her ears. She was a creature built for the ice and snow of the north, Why in the great bear spirit's name had she come all the way south to the forest. True, food was scarcely found in the north right now, but that didn't mean she had to put herself through something like this to eat. She was certain she may have missed a few chances to hunt on the way down here and her stomach growled.

She'd filled herself up with berries and the evidence was still stuck around her muzzle. The bitter taste clung to her tongue like a bur. What she wouldn't have given for a taste of seal meat right now. The thought caused her jaws to salivate once more. The large femme licked her muzzle clean of berry juice and kept walking, maybe her nose would take her to something more appetizing than berries this time. She raised her nose to the wind and chuffed a bit as she inhaled the scents that the breeze brought to her. She didn't smell much, to be honest. Just the scents of a forest- dirt, new growth, rotten leaves, and all sorts of bugs and animals. The most prominent scent was equine. The polar bear didn't really see much difference between the three races. They all smelled the same to her, and they were too much trouble to be worth hunting. Only the foals were easy pickings and even then, she had to be wary of the parents. All in all, too much work for the carnivore to consider and in the end, not that appetizing a reward.

Raising herself up on her hindlegs so that she could see over the wall of brambles, her beady black eyes caught the sight of movement as, sure enough, a horse was moving towards her. She could not make out what type of horse it was, so she let out a predatory warning growl to dissuade this one from coming too close. Usually, her stature was enough to get them moving away from her. It was very difficult to contend with a 6 foot tall behemoth of muscle and bad attitude. That was what she thought she must look like to the equines because usually one look at her had them galloping in the opposite direction. She wasn't in the mood to deal with a bit of prey dancing around her that could run faster than she could and for longer if she made to attack. She wished the sea ice would just come back already. She knew the first thing she would do, too. Gorge herself on as many seals as she could catch. A pang of homesickness pricked her heart as she fell onto all fours again and walked forwards once more, her broad shoulders tearing the brambles aside as she forged her own path through the trees. Tangles of thorns got caught in her thick fur, making her glare at them with as much hatred as she could muster.

"I hate birdsong. I hate it, I hate it, I hate it." She chuffed as she dragged the tendrils from her fur with her teeth.

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil

You can sleep with a gun but
When you gonna wake up and fight?

It was most certainly not a horse that the bear saw, and had the shadow-mare known that Nisa considered her a horse, she might have simply turned and walked away. As it were, she could not read minds, and so she continued onward, paying little heed to the warning growl. Perhaps it would have scared a lesser being, but she was the Dark Empress, the Lady of the Basin. She was a unicorn, and she did not scare nearly as easily. She was faster, smarter, and more agile than a fat, bumbling bear. She was not worried about the outcome of this impromptu meeting.

Still, she was smart enough to stay well out of attack range when she halted before the snowy creature. Keen amber orbs surveyed the bear, and for a moment, she was even amused by the obvious discomfort of the thing. It was rather far south, for a snow-dwelling creature, wasn't it? That pelt, so thick and so glaringly white, very clearly belonged in the north. The thought brought a smile to the Lady's maw: she had already allowed a wolf into their ranks, so what difference would it make if she brought a bear home? Surely the creature would thank her for the cold climate? And she might be an interesting addition, particularly when they went to war.

"Darling, you are quite far from home, aren't you?" The words are sweet - too sweet, in fact - but oddly alluring. She smiles, and this, too, contains a hint of poison. She is wary, though, despite her calm exterior. After all, the bear could attack at any time, couldn't she?

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Psyche
[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Unregistered

Nisa
Polar Bear | Female | 335

Unicorn. So what? She thought as she looked the horned equine in the face. Just because you have a horn doesn't make you any less or more important than any other hoofed creature in the world. You're all prey animals to me. She chuffed again at the thought as she looked at how the mare held herself with all the pride and dignity of a deity. Nisa narrowed her black eyes a bit at the mare's honeyed words. Had the white she-bear been in the mood for a scuffle, she would have boxed her over the ears by now with one powerful, hefty paw.

"What choice do I have in such weather? My expertise in hunting has been taken away from me by nature and will not return again until the Sea Ice reforms. Do not talk to me like I am a simple-minded cub, prey. You do not know of what you speak. Having never tasted the flesh of another being, you can not stand there and tell me how far away I am from my home. You have not an idea of how desperate hunger makes the carnivore that I am. Do not assume you know me. In the grand scheme of things, I am higher than you." She growled out the words as she continued walking, brushing the unicorn's legs with her own shoulders and shoving her out of the way like a muscular bulldozer.

She didn't seem to be of the mind to kill the unicorn, because otherwise she could have, easily. Nisa had not yet met a horse, unicorn or otherwise, that could match her raw power in a test of strength. Which is why she wasn't inclined to show much respect to the unicorn that had addressed her. On top of that, as a carnivore, Nisa stored a lot of faith in the food chain, and in her mind, she didn't care who the unicorn was, she was still beneath her.

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

Prideful, arrogant, superior - she had been called all of those and then some. But prey? She had never been called prey, though she supposed that the words the bear spoke were indeed true. Still, the notion that she, she of all creatures, would be inferior even to such a magnificent brute as this she-bear was turning out to be left a bad taste in her mouth. She led the Aurora Basin, and they would, one day, rule Helovia. She would rule Helovia? What would this creature do when the shadow-mare held the power to decide her fate?

It would be a role reversal, seeing as at the moment, the power seemed to be on opposite ends of the court. The bear did not deign to attack on this day, merely brushed roughly past the jackal. Sidestepping, the Empress avoiding the harsh blow, instead feelings only the glancing of white furs dancing along her hide. She thought for a moment. If the bear truly did not wish to share her values, as the wolf Lupus had when he had joined, them, then so be it - still, something about the meeting irked her.

Suddenly, she realized what it was. The bear assumed that she was prey - ha, fine. Taking a deep breath, the shade concentrated. The change, though she had not shifted in many moons, was quick, effortless, though she did indeed feel the discomfort of stretching limbs, growing teeth, shifting orifices. After a moment, though, her vision cleared, and she trotted after the bear in the form of a black jackal. "Dearie, I really wouldn't presume to know someone before you've gotten a chance to talk to them," she told the bear reproachfully, though there was still a hint of that cunning deception. "Besides, if it is snow that you seek, you will need my guidance." And suddenly her tone was bored, lazy even, her mood ever-shifting as she put on one of many, many masks.

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Psyche

Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Unregistered

Nisa
Polar Bear | Female | 387

That wasn't something that she saw everyday. She raised an eyebrow at the mare as she changed to a jackal and ran to catch up to her. The ice ursine had to look down in order to see the predator-prey. There was a moment of silence that stretched between her words and Nisa's response. Except that before she answered, she turned away and kept walking, as if watching a prey turn into a miniature predator was not an unexpected event... even if it was.

"So you can disguise yourself to look like you're higher on the food chain. Doesn't mean you're on the same level as me. I could still break your back with a swipe of my paw and eat you as a side dish for some seal fat. Let us not debate the importance of rank in the food chain, though. My nerves are not in the mood for such trivial subjects. You said you know where the ice has gone?" The pull of the sea ice was overriding her distaste of following a noisy equine to wherever the ice was. She didn't exactly care to familiarize herself with the landscape of... well, land. Her distaste of anything that wasn't frozen seal meat, snow, or sea ice, was a prominent roadblock in her personality.

It would be difficult for her to get over the sickness of missing her home, although perhaps if she were in colder temperatures, she wouldn't be in such a bad mood. She might even be interested in being friends with the mare. If she hadn't been so angry about everything, she would have to admit that the unicorn had some backbone and that was impressive and would leave a lasting impression on the bear. She's been alone for so long that it was hard to know when she was expected to be nice or polite. Nisa rarely cared enough to even bother with social grace, or manners for that matter. She knew her place in nature and she was comfortable knowing that the only threat she had to her life that she had to worry about were other bears. Sure there were prey animals that she would think twice before messing with, but a death at the tusks of a walrus was the fault of the bear's stupidity.

"You coming, shouty?"

Deceased
RayoDeSoleil

She did not generally think about the effects of her personality. Of course, she knew that others either disliked her or respected her - there was rarely anything in between, and she very much doubted that anyone truly liked her. In a weaker mare, this might have inspired feelings of inadequacy or loneliness, but in the Dark Empress, there was only pride. What kind of leader would she be if she gave into the frailty of emotion? Wasn't it better to be feared, revered even, than loved? What was love, anyway, except for a useless, trivial, fleeting feeling, there one day, gone the next, with those scorned apt to run off and seek revenge? Resentment filled her as she remembered Valentine, stupidly declaring his love, stupidly challenging her lack of feelings, stupidly running off to gods-knew-where, probably spilling the secrets of the Basin to all who would listen... You banished him, she reminded herself. Stupid.

But that was neither here nor there, and the shadow-jackal was decidedly here. "Of course I can, darling," she agreed rather jovially. "I live to the far north, you see, where the snows never melt." It was a half-truth, for the Aurora Basin itself did indeed experience the warmth of Birdsong, protected by the massive mountains that shielded them from the chill of the tundra. But the surrounding area remained frozen, ever pure and unbroken by the emerald beauty of the southern lands. "You coming, shouty?" She snorted, but in this form it sounded more like a huff - amusement, really, for she admired the great bear's superiority. "Or, rather, are you?" She flashed a winning smile and trotted ahead, leading the way home.

[W/C | ---]

Walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk."
Think think think.

Psyche