the Rift

Aurora Borealis [Sol]

Paladin the Valiant Posts: 153
Deceased
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16.3 hh :: 15 Years Buff: DANCE
Tamme

Paladin picked his way north from the Foothills, finding the snowy cold a familiar and beautiful place. Memories of meeting Soleil at the Sky Mirror filled his mind fondly, and he smiled. He remembered making it their meeting place in case anything happened; he had never expected that being relocated from his home was the answer. The Tides, his beautiful beach, was lost, and as he stared out a the endless sea of white, he found himself longing to see waves.

His hooves picked out of icy water and into slushy snow, meeting the darkened rocks beneath. The mountains in the distance were beautiful against the night sky, and as he exhaled, his breath came out in puffs of white smoke. Soleil should arrive soon. That thought made him smile too. She was the only thing in this upside down world keeping his hooves on the ground. If it were not for her and his family, his body would be back on the Tides.

Instead, he was here. And here was beautiful. It was just lacking his love.

Soleil the Virtuous Posts: 40
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 17.1 :: 11
ali

You are the light that's leading me
To the place where I find peace again

The farther north she traveled the cooler it became and she began to wonder just why she spent miserable days in the sweltering heat when relief was so close. Gradually the ground became icy and snow covered. It reminded her of when she would go to the Sky Mirror and wait for Paladin. There were so many times when he was away that she would go there and wait faithfully for him day after day. This wasn't the Sky Mirror, but it was close enough and, for once, he was the one that was waiting on her.

His coat stood out from the white ground, but threatened to blend in with the night sky. Soleil moved into a swift canter, quickly covering the distance that separated them. "Paladin." She said as she pulled to a halt close to him. The mare brushed her muzzle against his cheek then smiled. "I hope I didn't keep you waiting too long."

Deceased
Tamme

One of Paladin's velvety black ears flicked backward at the crunch of approaching hoofsteps, and she turned his crimson gaze behind him. With a deep breath of white smoke, he saw his love walking in the snow. She looked lovely with her white coat beautifully accented by the land, and he could not help but stare. Her soft muzzle rubbed against the side of his face, and he smiled softly, leaning his face against hers.

The stallion snorted and shook his head. "Not at all, love," he replied, smiling at her gently. "I have simply been here, thinking. I miss the Sky Mirror and the Tides. He sighed, a white puff accenting his breath. "And then I look at this place, and I realize how beautiful it is." Paladin lifted his neck and gentle ran his nose along the crest of her own neck, absently looking up at the stars.

Suddenly, magnificent colors of blue, aqua and purple lit up the sky. It illuminated the darkness and made the snow seem ethereal. Curtains of the color shifted and turned in the sky, and Paladin rested his chin on her neck as he watched them, smiling. "Hm... Almost as beautiful as you," he commented in his deep, rich voice.

Deceased
ali

Paladin's mention of the Sky Mirror and the Tides drew a soft sigh from Soleil. She had grown up in Isilme. Most of her life had been spent on the beaches of the Tides back when it was under Equine rule. It was all she had ever known until the war had broken the lands apart and toppled the Equine Empire. She had spent a very short time as an outcast before living in the Oasis before Paladin stole her away to the Tides. She missed the soft, sugary sand beneath her hooves, the crashing waves, and the constant calling of seagulls. "I miss it." Her voice came out almost in a whisper and was nearly drowned out by Paladin's deep voice.

He was right about the Steppe being beautiful, but then again she'd always found snowy landscapes beautiful. The only thing this one was missing was an icy lake that reflected the sky. As Paladin ran his nose along her neck she leaned into his touch, savoring the warmth, comfort, and security he offered her.

As the colorful lights lit up the sky Soleil looked up. Never before had she seen anything like it, so she couldn't help but stare in awe. Paladin had the pale mare smiling when he spoke again. "You flatter me, love." As far as she was concerned she couldn't hold a candle to the beautiful sky. It made her forget about feeling homesick for the things she couldn't have anymore and made her just enjoy what she had.

Deceased
Tamme

Paladin listened to her sigh and knew how she felt, how she missed Isilme, longed for it to be safe. The young stallion nodded and softly touched her cheek. "Same," he murmured quietly. The aurora caught their sight then, and he found Soleil still more beautiful that the curtains of colorful light. Both of them seemed so distant here. Nothing was right. Nothing was the same. The stallion sorely missed Roanne, Aera, and even Zar'roc. At least that entitled ass of a stallion was familiar. Nothing here was.

Brows furrowed, his mind wandered to things that were perhaps unsafe. "What if we... went back?" he whispered thoughtfully. "My life here is but a shadow what I was. This place holds no sway on me, though I find beauty here. Every action I make seems to have no purpose. I do not belong." He snorted softly. "I find myself foolish for thinking this, but are we not creatures of this earth? I understand the need the others felt to remain in Anarore, even with the Shades' violence."

Deceased
ali

Soleil frowned as Paladin suggested going back to Isilme. As much as she wanted to go back to Isilme she didn't think they would ever be able to go back. She didn't think the shades would ever be defeated. How could the dead be defeated? They certainly couldn't die again and they couldn't put them to rest. Not when their very existence and lives were what drove them to the level of destruction they were at. It would be suicide to go back.

Still, she listened to Paladin, the frown never leaving her face. When he became quiet she tilted her head back to look up at the sky once more. "I think if we went back we could possibly be committing ourselves to death." She said honestly. "I know we've been here for some time, but what if we go back and the shades are still there?"