the Rift

Much Too Bold || Open

Demetrie Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::
I was little my Mamma told me, and she also told me I was much to bold. She said I had to watch out and not get to bold. She had been gentle when she said these things. I knew she liked my spirit, and I told Mamma I liked my spirit to. She had always whinnied when I said that. We were heading back to the herd. She explained how she had to leave to have me in privacy. She wanted me all for herself, and I knew it. My young and naive brain knew nothing. I told her I had learnt a lot already, but she always said I had more to learn. The sun was high and shining.The wind gave a nice cool feel. I had took off and crow hopped and galloped for a long time. They had been wobbly the first day, but they felt firm and strong now. I had been leaping for some time. Then I saw something new. It had been brown and it had white dots on it's back. The animal had big floppy ears and big black eyes. Then there was another with it. This one had two pointing things that spread with more pointy things. It was my size with really thin legs. I got closer to try to nose it up, but it didn't like that and both sprinted off. I tried following them, but I didn't realize I had gotten farther from my Mamma and deeper into the woods.

My pride was now wounded. I lost my Mamma and I didn't know where I was going. My heart started thundering in my chest. My little lost body in this forest. I tried calling my Mamma now. "Mamma? Mamma!" Only the wind answered my calls. My Mamma was no where to be seen. My nerves tensed up and I got scared quickly. I wanted my lips sucking in her warm milk. I almost ached for it. I knew some things, and one of those things were that I needed a Mamma. I perked my ears forward hearing hoof beats. "Mamma! Mamma!" Still only the wind accompanied my hopeless calls. Although my legs weren't wobbly they were worn out. I lay down. I was tired and I ached for milk. Sleep beat my hunger as my eyes shut closed. A vivid replay of the events replayed in my head. "Curiosity is good." Her realistic voice playing in my young head. "Just don't get too bold." It was to late for that. Then her voice came on angered. "FOOLISH COLT!" Just like that my dream ended and I longed to wake up from this boring dreamless sleep.

Finally my eyes woke up. No Mamma stood over me. I was breathing very hard and my limbs felt like jell-o. I still lay there. In hopes. My puddle of hopes would vanish soon. I was just a mess. I missed my Mamma very much. I longed for her. I turned my cranium to see a horse. My vision was still blurred by little nap. As my vision cleared I could see this horse. I guessed my Mamma was forever gone. I would then have to cling on to this horse.

Slaiter Posts: N/A
Unregistered
LYNX

“Mamma! Mamma!” The desperate cries reach the disfigured buckskin, tugging at his heartstrings. Despite his normally gruff nature, he has never been able to resist foals, and this poor little one is apparently alone. He breaks into a swift canter, chasing the faint echoes of the child’s voice until he finds her, apparently asleep. She is a beautiful white unicorn, with spiraling blue horns and a lighter blue blaze. Unusual coloring, but he has seen stranger. What is odd to him, is that she is sleeping. He is certain that it was this filly who had been calling out, for how many lone foals could there be out here at one time? Yet, she slumbered on, oblivious to the world. Eyes scan their surroundings, looking for her dam. Her shouts should have brought the mare running, yet there was no one else in sight, just him and the girl. Another orphan, perhaps? He has met far too many since coming to Helovia, so it is not such a far-fetched idea as one might imagine. Well, he certainly couldn’t just leave her here alone, now could he? If nothing else, he could wait with her until her mother came, and if she truly was parentless, well, it wouldn’t be the first time he had taken a foal under his metaphorical wing.

She stirs faintly, eyelids sliding open to reveal brilliant blue orbs. Lynx remains motionless, not wanting to frighten her, though he supposes that waking up to find a stranger looming over you would be enough to frighten anyone. Yet, as she turns and spots him, there is no fear in her eyes, just desperation and need. He lowers his head to gently nuzzle her neck, hoping to show that he means no harm, despite his grotesque appearance. Perhaps it won’t bother her, the way it hasn’t bothered the other foals he had met. Indeed, they seemed to find his mangled face comforting, for some odd reason. He offers the filly a small smile, silently offering her friendship and protection, should she want it.

Unregistered
[size=small]My eyelids flutter completely and I can focus on this horse. He smelt wild yet pleasing to my small muzzle. The shades of blue in my short growing horns merged and shifted. I let out a whinny as he walks closer to my laying frame. He let his cranium drop closer to me. His warm breath dancing through and over my Snow White body. He is beautiful in my eyes. He has a horn like me, but it curls back and pierces into his cheek. The end of the horn sticks out of his mouth like one fang. I open and close my maw, clacking my teeth showing all the respect my body could give. My dark blue orbs watch him. His coat is a light gold color with dark legs and a dark muzzle. I am happy to have someone with me, but I miss my Mamma. "I c-cant f-find my Mamma." My soft voice was pitiful and scared. I lift my head slightly and just look at him. I didn't know where she was. My voice had wavered and shaken. My heart was crippled by the pain and scared behavior of losing my Mamma. I wanted her now, but I couldn't have her. I didn't know where she was or if she was even looking for me.

Everything was a blur. I had just lost the only family I knew and great longing crossed me. I stayed looking at the stallion. I wasn't even totally sure of my name. It came and went. I realized I knew almost nothing. My name, lots of animals, plants, and this place. It seemed pretty, but I was too focused on losing my mom to scan the beautiful scenery. I didn't say much to this stallion. I was already slightly quiet and beginning to be shy. I was just a small filly and him a stallion. Where were all the other horses? Where was all the life? I decided to break the eery silence. "I am..." I took a moment to think about her name. "...Demetrie." There it was. It was a pretty name and I was slightly fond of it.

I decided I should stand up. This part was the hardest for me. I had trouble balancing and often had to try twice. My front half was lifted very easily, but my hind legs weren't very strong. After a moment I was standing. I just looked at the stallion. I wanted to grow up and be strong and pretty like him. I smiled at him, but it was filled with pain and sadness.

Lynx Posts: 73
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 15 :: 5
Shoikan
LYNX

The poor child seems terrified, though not by him. His presence actually seems to soothe her the slightest bit, and he reflects on how different this filly is from the others that he’d met. They had been cheerful little things, eager to dance and play whenever they could, or else peppering him with endless questions. Yet this one is lost it would seem, and being alone in an unfamiliar land must be rather upsetting, if she was used to travelling with her mother. He wishes he could speak, to ask her how she and her dam had gotten separated, where she had come from. Impossible, with his cruel horn piercing through into his mouth, threatening unbearable agony should he attempt he verbalize. There is no way to know if she is simply lost, or if she has been abandoned, no indicators as to whether he should wait here with her for her mother to come back, or if he should simply usher her to safety. His nose lifts, scenting the air, but there are no fresh smells besides his own and that of the filly. No mare has passed through here for days.

She stays quiet for a while, creating a silence that he is unable to break. Then, unexpectedly, she offers her name to him, though she seems slightly unsure. Is she debating on telling him, or uncertain of her own name? Just how long had Demetrie been alone? She struggles to her feet, and he allows her to rise unaided, knowing just how important such a small victory can be. It takes a minute, but she manages to stand, and even smiles at him.

Now, he has a chance to communicate, to give her his own name. A hoof begins to trace a feline shape in the soft dirt, forming a crude picture of a lynx. He misses Frostfall then, for the snow had been much simpler to draw in, but at the same time he is glad that the harsh season has passed. Frostfall was no time for foals to wander about by themselves, and he’d found poor Cera almost frozen in the Throat. At least now there was no chance of that. Finished with his art project, he steps back slightly to allow her to see. Even if she doesn’t understand what the picture represents, it will give her something to call him, and that is enough.

Unregistered
After I stood up, he quickly lifted his hoof and drew an animal in the ground. I had no idea what is was. I had never seen an animal such as this. It had pointy ears and fur. It had a few spot's on it's back. It had for legs. I waited politely until he finished his drawing. I took a moment and admired it. Then I thought of what it could be. Why was he drawing it anyways? "U-uh. Ummm. Spots?" She took a while and thought some more. "Spots. You are Spots?" I liked the way the name sounded. I was sure that was his name, but I didn't understand why he didn't just talk. I didn't even know that someone's senses could be gone. I didn't know much. "Spots, do you care to know my hi-soreh?" (Hi-so-we) When I said history it came out funny and distorted. My young voice unable to enunciate.

For a moment I forgot the loss of my mom and was content. That was short lived and my features burrowed. "I lost my Mamma, ah-and I don't know my Papa! S-she wan away. I actuwie did, and I wost her/" I wanted help, but Lynx.. also known as Spots, knew better and he probably knew the mare was out of Demetrie's life. My young age could be estimated through my voice. Thoughts came out right, but my words didn't. Scrambled some would say. Yes, perfect! My voice is scrambled eggs! I just now looked at him.

My pale coat was white and bright. I was lost. Perfect prey. Discombobulated mind. I looked at his hoof drawn picture. I wanted to know things, but I knew few words. I had always believed in a perfect God who could freeze time and be active. He'd be powerful, stocky, arrogant, but lovable. He could find my Mamma, but he didn't know what was happening. I look up and whinny as loudly as I could. I snorted to the clouds that the trees blocked. I knew it was hopeless because such a powerful god was busy attending to.. things. I still wanted him here. He could be sitting on his Ageless ass attending to nothing, and it'd be more useful then a little filly like me. Still, my dark eyes looked up. I looked back at Spots and still made no move to speak or communicate. I just wanted comfort. I thought he could provide it and moved closer to home. How wonderful it felt to be near another horse again.

Hidden Account
Shoikan
LYNX

As he expected, the lynx is unfamiliar to the girl, but it does prompt her to guess at his name. Though Spots is incorrect, he simply nods and smiles. Names have never meant much to the stallion, and as long as the moniker is not used in ridicule, he accepts just about any title one may happen to apply to him. Besides, the childish nicknames are somewhat amusing, if not dignified, and he knows that allowing himself to be named also serves to reassure the foals, and gives them something unique to call him, their very own special name.

She is speaking again, answering some of his unspoken questions. It would seem that the filly had run off on her own, and was now unable to find her way back to her dam. Fortunately, she seems old enough to be weaned, so at least he won’t have to find a nursing mare to take her in. Though she is young, confused, and scared, Lynx believes the child will be alright as long as she has someone to protect her. And as there is no one else around to do it, he supposes that job falls to him. Being an outcast will make it harder, of course, but he doesn't know if anyone else would be willing to adopt her, and he has grown rather fond of the girl.

A loud call brings him from his thoughts, and he is surprised to see Demetrie staring intently up at the sky. He glances up, but sees little besides trees and the occasional patch of sky. Certainly nothing that would prompt such a desperate cry. She doesn't dwell on the sky for long, looking up for only a few more seconds before moving closer to him, obviously seeking comfort. He steps to her side, gently nuzzling the child and nipping at her short mane. Though he cannot give voice to the soothing words that she so sorely needs to hear, he can hum quietly, and he does. The wordless drone echoes a lullaby his mother used to sing to him, before his horn grew in and branded him as a monster.

Unregistered
He moved next to me and I looked with big azure eyes. My small body next to his large frame gave me over all comfort. Shortly after standing there together, he sings, but not totally. I doesn't know what the action is called, but it is pleasant to my ears. I flick one side ways so it points to him. I can hear the chords so easily. I still wonder if he could mumble his words. The song fills my ears and I find an urge to do this singing thing with him. I do not. I didn't know this song, and I would get notes wrong, but I wanted to very badly. I do not interrupt him once. I stand with him there. Enjoying his tune.

I lean closer to him. My body fits in the curves of his. The gold stag reached great comfort inside me. Pleasant and gentle. He nipped at my mane lovingly and comforted my. I took a liking to him instantly. I had only ever known my dam. She had been sweet, but I wasn't really sure what sweet was? I didn't know what mean was either. After he had mumbled his song a while I could make out the notes. I tried humming along. Softly. Yes, indeed. I mumbled softly also.

My head was held slightly high, and my little stub horns were also curving high and straight. In a way I feel sorry for him. His horn wasn't fancy like mine would be. It was straight and high like my Mamma's. It was a unique shape. It was a backwards 'C'. Then disappeared into his cheek. Finally, it ended coming out of his dark lips. It was unusual and it looked painful. I wasn't the least disgusted however.

I took joy in having company other than my Mamma. I had finally met someone. I smiled at him while still mumbling. I didn't want to talk or ramble. It didn't seem right then. I had already been scolded a few times recently. I had a dream that ended with a horrible empty sleep. I still ached for my Mamma's milk, but I didn't want to see her anymore. I realized she had scolded me from my curiosity.. I didn't think that was all that cool. My little feeble voiced barely mumbled now. What was this called? Was it a game? I looked around me and continued this game..

Hidden Account
Shoikan
LYNX

After a short time, the filly begins to hum along with him. Her hum is higher pitched than his deep rumble, but the contrasting sounds blend together in a pleasant harmony, and he extends the song slightly to let her continue for a bit longer. Yet, all things must end, and she is slowly fading out from the melody, so he allows himself to fall silent after a few moments. It was time that they left anyway, he supposes, for the Threshold wasn't really the safest place, full of newcomers with unknown dispositions and intentions, not to mention the various Helovians who wandered through.

He bumps his shoulder lightly against Demetrie's to get her attention, and takes a few steps away before stopping and looking back at her, patiently waiting for her to follow. It would be easier if he could talk, for then he could simply tell her of his plans and ask if she will choose to come with him. As it is, he makes do with body language, motions, drawings and hums. Harder, but he has found that he can frequently be understood, if he is clear enough with his wordless speech. His head is tossed slightly, gesturing toward the path that will lead them from the forest and inviting her to join him, and a smile is directed to her in friendly encouragement.

As he waits, he reflects on the others he had guided down this very same trail. The white pegasus, Shatter, though Leander had helped with that one. Beauty, the ebony and silver filly who he hadn't seen since, though every now and then he had come across her scent, proof that she was still alive. Then Pluto, the blue-dusted paint who had remained only briefly before choosing the path of an outcast. Note had been the last, a dusty bay stallion. As far as Lynx knew, he was still living happily in the Throat, safe within the desert borders.

Now, it would be Demetrie travelling with him, if she so chose. Unlike the others, he would not be taking her to a herd, but instead walking with her into the untamed Wilds. He wonders if this is a wise decision, if he should take her to the edges of the Throat and hope another will take her in. It would be safer for her there, and the foals who dwelled there would most likely be delighted to have a new friend. But, the thought of leaving her seems wrong. After all, how would she feel about being handed off, as if she were a burden? She had already lost her mother, would he really make her lose the only other horse she knew, make her go and live amongst strangers? The inner debate rips at him, has him questioning his own motives. In the end, he supposes it will be up to Demetrie on what to do. Later, perhaps, he will lead her to the borders and allow her to make her own choice. For now, simply getting her out of the Threshold will have to be his task.

Unregistered
He stopped his lull and we stood for a moment. It was quiet, but the silence was filled with comfort and happiness. I wanted the croon flowing to my ears, but I didn't ask for it. My vibrant orbs darted around the scene as he left my side. He started walking away. I didn't dare open my maw, but I was confused. My heart ceased to beat and froze, but he stopped and turned his cranium back to me. I calmed down and joined him by his side as he flicked his head motioning me. My little steps were getting more stable as the days had passed. My tiara added a gentle look to me.

We looked into a scary trail. The trees could easily reach for our coats and mark us with our blood. The low hanging vines could tickle us itchy. The twigs would move and jerk making me fall to the floor. Who even knows what animals lay in there? Whatever did want me to go in there, only wanted it so they could eat us for dinner. I had only known of a few things and my Mamma always told me stories of scary creatures. One story was of an ebony bird that swoops down low and bites at the backs of various horses. Some others were boars, monsters, pointy things, stabby things, and a lot more. "D-d-down there?" I looked back to the trail. Fear welled up behind my eyes instead of tears.

I nuzzled up very close to Spots. I was scared and almost trembling. Little me wasn't the bravest little horse. Stay strong... My little thoughts kept me from exposing this awful fear. I had no idea if Spots could sense it or not, but I knew that I had tried masking it. I hated fear, and I hated when it creeped inside my veins and lived in my marrow. It stalked my heart. It talked through my orbs and lusted through my hooves. Everywhere.

There was also happiness now though. I was with this stag and that had been great. I wasn't alone, nor scared of him. I actually was quite fond of his burdened horn. It made him stand out. A beacon in a pool of black. "Spots, do w-we go down there?" Obviously she was younger than a yearling. Her voice quivered and shook.

Hidden Account
Shoikan
LYNX

It took only a few moments for the filly to step forward, making the choice to follow wherever he may choose to go. He is officially he guardian now, and he makes a vow to do whatever it takes to keep the girl safe and happy. Although, he thinks, it will not be easy. One look at the path, and she is pressed against him, the scent of fear filling the air around her small form. His own eyes see nothing out of ordinary, and the breeze brings no predatory smells to his flared nostrils. What is frightening her then? Though confused, he nuzzles her comfortingly. She was certainly a flighty little creature, his Demetrie, and without knowing the source of her fear he can do nothing to alleviate it.

Struck by sudden inspiration, he begins to hum again, remembering how the sound had soothed her before. Another few steps are taken along the trail, hoping that she will see that nothing is about to leap out and devour them if he goes first. Or maybe he could use a game to distract the girl, as he had done with Beauty, though he doubts that tag will work as well on the child as it had for the ravenling. In fact, the only foal games he can think of all involve running or hiding, neither of which will serve to calm his current charge. What could he use then? His presence and the humming, of course, but what else can he do? Drawings might amuse, but they wouldn't get the two of them down the trail. Games had been ruled out, and speech was impossible. He had no magic to distract or reassure the girl, and there was no way to let her know that he was considered a good fighter where he came from, capable of fending off a wolf or whatever type of predator she might believe to haunt the forest. He'd just have to take it one step at a time and hope that Demetrie didn't decide to bolt.

Unregistered
He nudged and nibbled me lovingly. I let a soft bugle tower out of my lips. We stood for a moment. Comfort threatened away fear as a lull breached his muzzle and floated around. He took a few steps forward, and all I could do was follow. There was no way I would stay here alone. My Mamma was back there, and I dearly wanted her, but all the scolding made me want to scoff. I quickly skittered to Spots' side and looked into his eyes. I didn't look up, I didn't look down, I didn't look to the side, I only looked at him. A soft sigh dedicated from her chest to her throat then into the air indicates a relaxed or relaxing me, perhaps my worried threats have passed.
So this is where she chooses her fate and path? Well what if she choose the wrong path? Could she switch paths later? Would she even like this stranger after some time passed?
I being me, the scared little filly I am, squished tightly into Spots. His body warmth was comforting and tickled my sides. His lull dragged in my ears, but I am happy it did. I forgot about the scary path. I hummed with him, but I was soft and he knew the notes. This wasn't my mom, but I ached for succulent milk. I nickered softly, trying to get the rhythmic vibe, but I was out of tune and... out of whack.

"Spots, were are we gowing?" I whispered quietly trying not to be to rude when interrupting his song. I whispered, but while doing so I tried matching his notes, but it failed miserably. My voice was flat than sharp. He was an octave lower when she went higher. Messy mess, but I loved humming with him.

Hidden Account
Shoikan
LYNX

It worked, this rough droning sound, for though Demetrie still clung to his side, the fear scent receded slightly. She even joins in after a moment, though not as smoothly as she had before. Lynx forgives her though, just as he knows he always will. Well, perhaps not always, he corrects himself, but a good 99 percent of the time. He looks back at the girl fondly, replaced by mild confusion when she asked her question. Where were they going? He hadn't really thought that far ahead. He supposed the Thistle Meadow would do, with its readily available water and thick grass. Besides, that's where Leander had lead his little band of outcasts, and though the golden pegasus had disappeared, Lynx still hoped to find him there someday. Naive, perhaps, for there was a good chance that the palomino had died. What else would keep him away like this?

The somber thoughts run through his mind like poison, even as he smiles and hums like nothing is wrong. What was he supposed to do? What purpose did he serve? For now he had foals to take care of, but what about when they grew up? Was he just supposed to keep finding new ones to raise? Would that be his life from now on? Though he loved foals deeply, Lynx wasn't sure he wanted them to be his sole purpose in life. He was still a soldier, even if he was taking a break from fighting. He could always seek to join another herd, he supposes, but he isn't certain that he wants to. Perhaps he could find his way into one of the many outcast bands that roamed Helovia. Surely he'd be able to find at least one that he'd be willing to join. Slightly comforted, he begins walking again, going slowly enough that Demetrie can keep up.

(OOC: If you'd like we can go ahead and end it here and move to the Meadow.)