the Rift

Tears I Shed

Xylia Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

i keep my lips locked tight,
for if i speak the words will keep flowing evermore

I can almost taste magic in the air, the subtle tingling of something unworldly and wonderful; something fantastic and something that makes the skin shiver over muscle, trembling almost. I have moved slowly and quietly, enjoying my gentle peace, cautiously wandering from the Throat, and making a cruising turn to the left, relaxing and exploring, feeling my way around this dark world. I am filled with slight impressions, the grass ruffling around my ankles, the sun hot and warm on my back.

I miss the searing heat of the desert sands, but there I too often feel alone, solitary in a herd; I don't see anyone, and neither do I hear them. It is strange, being left alone, after so many years of friendship and solid companionship. No longer is there the faint, feather-light touch of Azel's long tail brushing against my shoulder, or the kiss of his primaries against her face. There is not the scent of Sumati, spicy and strong; although I do not know her name, and instead place her scent instead of name when thinking of her.

Sometimes I feel it is almost nice, being oblivious to the world. I can still scent predators, still can flee to the air; but I never stray too high from the ground. I am afraid of flying, terrified of getting swept away in thermals and being lost to all, never found again, or getting stuck above the ocean and dying a slow, painful death. I have died many times, but all of them mostly quick and painless.

Yet I cannot shake the growing disappointment of no-one near me, no-one by me. So I have continued my little walk, drawn to the presence of magic in the air. Before I have commanded magic, but now I do not feel the need to pursue it so strongly, when I will certainly live many, many times more, a misfortune in itself. I am never quite sure if it's a blessing or a curse. On occasions, normally after the pain of being expelled to the world again, I enjoy it immensely... then with the loss of sense, I deteriorate into a hardly coherent creature that moves alone and is a sitting duck for predators. This time, I am lucky to have wings; it will prolong my life.

"What is this?" I stop on my cautious, rocky journey, nostrils flaring. I smell dog, yet it is faint; and when I extend my muzzle downwards, I find a pearl. An... egg? I extend one of my wings, sweeping it down and rubbing it smoothly with a black primary; it is satiny soft and hard as rock, and I wish desperately I could see it. I inhale sharply- a bird? Could it, maybe, help me see again? Would it be like the companion I had as a unicorn?

I laugh, a mute laugh to me, and roll it up under my neck, keeping my head tucked as to stop it from falling, and continue my traveling, humming softly with pleasure. On I continue, stumbling as frequently as ever, until finally I sweep out wings and flutter above the ground, only a few feet high, drifting alone until I feel it best to land, the winds growing more chaotic around me as evening approaches.

It is then I find the shrines and begin to pray.

I kneel, slide onto my legs and as carefully as I can, let the egg slip to the ground.

I pray, but for what I'm not sure. If I'm in Helovia... did the gods tell me the truth? Are there other gods here?

[Open!]