the Rift

For you (cera)
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING

I didn’t know what to expect at this point, we walked to the glade in a tense silence that I had failed thus far to break. My gaze cast a grim look at the boy that so closely followed, “Your upset…..do you want to talk about it?” I ask softly. It was common knowledge to all as to why my lad was forlorn. Cera had been through a battle once before, but this one was different for many reasons. Not just because the threat was upon our homeland and not in a territory far away, but also because he was still recovering from an attack nearly a month ago. Nerves were tight and strained even now. The enemy would be coming here, and as a father, it was my responsibility to assure that before this battle even started—Cera would be well away from the conflict.

Of course, he wouldn’t be happy about this; but it really couldn’t be helped.

I had ever confidence that those rouges wouldn’t make it past the meadow, and certainly wouldn’t breech our lines. This minor skirmish should be an easy victory. I say should because, despite the fact that we had numbers and allies. You couldn’t be too careful. Even with our obvious advantages; to take the enemy for granted would be foolish and blind. Surely they had strength enough to back up a blunt challenge to a herd such as ours. Surely they would know we had allies in the hills even if they succeeded in pulling off the unlikely task of crossing our desert sand.

Surely.

[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Cera the Golden Prince Posts: 419
Outcast atk: 5.5 | def: 9.5 | dam: 4.5
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 16.3hh :: 6 Years HP: 65 | Buff: NOVICE
Ilaria :: Red Panda :: Heal Brit

The awkward atmosphere surrounding the growing cherub and his father was unmistakable and impossible to miss or ignore. Even so Cera was determined to say nothing, stuck once more in his mind. Even without emerging from his thoughts he somehow managed to follow Midas closely almost without thought. Locked inside himself, only broken by the occasional show of images and feelings that formed the conversation between the painted colt and Ilaria. Jerked out of it by his father’s voice, Cera flicked peridot eyes to the stallion he was slowly but surely shooting past in height. Hum vibrated in his throat as he thought. Did he really want to talk about it? But it always seemed to help when he talked to his patient father, and he was positive that if he managed to get past his insecurity and fear, it would help him once again. Cera told Ilaria to sleep through their bond, knowing that she was tired and was only staying awake in case he needed her. It was endearing but he cared for her, and wouldn’t have her exhausted. Chittering softly in disgruntlement, she curled up over his shoulders and let her tail droop over his left one. Brief smile stretched his lips, loving and honest for once since he had been attacked. Smiling seemed so hard lately, but he was valiantly fighting against the depression always swallowing up the ground below him a step away. ”I…I went to see Note again, a while ago…” Speaking softly and with more care than normal. He wanted to make sure this came out right. ”He told me a story about a colt that was taken in by a very bad father…and that he was raised to kill. That the colt killed his father, who gave him a scar on his side for it…” horror and sickness spreading on his face. Cera was still very conflicted about his ideas on fighting; knowing he desired to be a warrior, but also knowing that the love of crafting and building within him could not and would not be quenched. Yet, after the story Note had told him and his own experience with the demon of the forest, he was fiercely determined to fight for those who could not fight for themselves. ”It ended up being Note’s past…but Daddy…th-the thought of it…” Again he felt ill, and he knew the tension between them was because of what he was thinking about. The idea of him fighting Midas was inconceivable, yet Note had done it. Had he been older?

Sighing he flicked his tail uncomfortably and shuffled his wings, feeling the familiar ache along his shoulders from flight lessons. He needed to stop fighting the air for control, but it was hard when he couldn’t relax enough. Cera was nevertheless determined to become one with the sky, and relaxation was in the process. ”And…now, anyone with horns…” Thin body shivered, hardly the physique of one nearly into a year of life. It no longer bothered him, and Hototo was not someone he compared himself to either. In fact the other colt was helping him mentally, whether he was there or not. ”What if…what if I can’t be friends with them again?” Whispering unsurely, thinking of Mystique. Hototo’s ram horns didn’t frighten him, though he had a feeling that even if the colt had a horn like Mystique’s he wouldn’t have been afraid. Hototo meant the world to him, and the idea of fearing him was both laughable and horrifying. ”Bazilisk is gone…I want to craft again, Daddy. I loved it…” Unwittingly allowing nostalgia and longing fall into his tone. It was like removing a fish from the ocean and placing it in a shallow puddle. It would long for the life it had briefly experienced, always remembering the beauty of that life. ”Hototo…I want to see him again. I love him!” Visage momentarily brightening at that, smiling. Hototo didn’t know it, or maybe he did, but Cera practically worshiped him. Face crumpled again. ”But the woods where he lives…how can I ever go back?” Pain seeping into his words, clearly agonized by the idea of not being able to see the colt he considered a twin brother. He didn’t dare speak of the battle, but it was very obvious he was thinking about it. Unwilling to speak for he knew Midas would immediately object.
Image by Alex
Please only tag starting posts, spars, and threads collecting dust!
Ascended Helovian

Deceased
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
Cera pondered upon my question in silence, or so it seemed he was thinking on it. I waited with all the patience in the world, voice not daring to further pry words from his throat. Though, on some days I wished for the same bond that was held between companions—then it would be easy enough to figure out what this growing steed was thinking. Parenting should come with a manual, or at least an instructional class…one that prepared young fathers and mothers for all those really tough situations.

Perhaps I would pray for advice to fall from heaven, giving place and time for learning how to actually be a good guardian. Currently, this keeper felt like a total failure. First it had been Norse, now Cera. But I couldn’t dwell, it wasn’t in my nature; instead we pressed forward. Ever forward, even when limbs just wanted to collapse and surrender to the elements that pushed us apart.

Children had to grow, and experience emotions fully to develop a wide personality. This to be yearling was just having a harder time now. At the fault of another, with most of the blame still left on these shoulders. A mistake I had once vowed to never make again, was yet repeating with a different soul.

”I…I went to see Note again, a while ago…” his slow speech gave no cause for worry, and I couldn’t have anticipated the next set of words to follow. Instead my stern, gentle face reacted pleasantly, a smile starting to form as remembrance of our recent spar came forward in mind.
Note was one of my elder underling soldiers, and a skilled one at that.

But, my premature turnup wouldn’t last long.

”He told me a story about a colt that was taken in by a very bad father…and that he was raised to kill. That the colt killed his father, who gave him a scar on his side for it…”

Halfway through Cera’s sentence my face fell apart, and a possible grin was replaced with tightly pulled lines that spoke shock and renewed disgust. Note had crossed a boundary, “What right did he have to fill my child with stories of horror? Stories, that better suited rouge two year olds, those were certainly not tales meant to calm my thriving to be young adult. People seemed to be feeding Cera’s fear like mice to a hungry serpent.

Forcefully I pointed gaze stared straight ahead, and didn’t turn for fear the babe would see anger filtering in and mistake the emotion and its direction.

Purposely I had shared stories of brave knights, magic, ladies and lords. Tales that my father and mother had spun when I was a curious colt; anxious to understand our world. The nasty horrors of a short existence were later learned through a set of mature eyes. My respect for the dark stud, Note, dropped immensely….we could break words later; and I would assure that such stories never fell from his lips again.

Fina, who had been soaring above—felt my discomfort and called out meekly. Curious as to what had caused a strong stirring of emotion, ”And…now, anyone with horns…” Taking a steadying breath I tried to push past washing fury. More concerns and worries came forth and momentary anger was set aside for another day, I was still on damage control with other matters.

Throughout all his confessions our home had quickly approached, until finally we had made it under the comforting branches of the old Magnolia tree. Its branches heavy with budding blooms and vibrant green leaves. +
Fina flew up to her favorite rousting spot and watched us with wary eyes, anticipating my emotions by sending me childish waves of questions and concern. I brushed her aside internally; not having energy to care for her needs when there was a heartsick child to deal with. She fluffed her feathers and then proceeded to pout by tucking beak behind one wing and closing the only blue eye we could see.

Pausing under shadows without giving her second glance, I folded my legs into the sand. Allowing right wing to tuck under and the left to flare outward. She peeked at me through dark lashes, my golden pools retained their familiar fatherly accent, but a hint of masked anger laced the depths like a black thread in a golden rug. “Not now, child,” I said to her aloud, before turning attention back to the problem at hand. She had a selfish streak that gave urges for the bird to be center and front of everyone’s attention.

No matter their situation.

“Cera,” I began softly, my eyes studied his troubled face, “You must know that it isn’t only the horns that make a person dangerous.” Training in crafting had come to a standstill, mostly because folks kept walking into the Throat then a month later walking back out, “Bazilisk isn’t the only manipulator within our family; if you wish it, Coris could be your new mentor. He is kind and skilled in the art of leather; the crafter could pass on some valuable lessons.”

He had leased me aid once before, when I had been a little younger and questing for my father’s armor.

“You are growing an inch a day and I can’t shield this world from you forever,” as much as I would like to, “The story Note told you was misplaced and shouldn’t have been spoken to a colt your age, but you have also experienced a horror that most youths would never come across.” Gesturing toward the expansion of land in the distance and faint line of mountains, “Out there, are creatures of wings, horns, magic, and none of the above—they will harbor the desire to cause harm; but I have told you this before. Placing fear in your heart for unicorns will only sprout anger later down the road of life.”

“Love your friends as you love, Hototo.”

A confession was coming now, one that I didn’t really want to admit aloud, “You speak of being unable to return to the forest? I share these feelings,” my voice wavers a little, memories that had been pushed aside suddenly fling their ugly face forward, “it is understandable and nobody will expect you overcome these fears anytime soon. But understand that this fear isn’t going to last forever.”

“You are going to change, mature; already you have shown strength twice that of a lesser spirit. You have the personality to overcome any situation.” I honestly believed that with the right direction, comfort and patience, we could overcome this, “When you are ready, I will travel with you to the forest, and together we will bash this fear and rid ourselves of the dread it brings.”

Cherub never had to worry about his father not listening to him. Midas was always patient, always willing to tune an ear to his words. Conversation was always easy, and Cera cherished their relationship more than anything else. He never had to worry that Midas wouldn’t pay attention to him. If Cera ever said that he just wanted one day with him, he doubted Midas wouldn’t try his hardest to make it happen. There were days Cera was exasperated with him for always leaving him alone to do General duties, but once he noticed his thoughts he would feel like the worst son ever and admonish himself heavily. He was never really punished, for he did it himself rather well. There were still a few lingering fears of Midas hating him or finding him a burden, but they were only formed through the incident with d’Artagnan and only lingered because of it. Appearing only at his lowest points, which he was grateful for. He felt as if he’d aged, that maybe he wasn’t such a child anymore, and couldn’t decide whether or not he liked it.

Midas’ smile was rather strange, Cera didn’t know that he knew Note. Then again, Cera had mentioned him once when he’d gotten Ilaria, but only really in passing. Wasn’t Note a Soldier? Well then that would make sense, his father was the General after all. That was a concept he still really didn’t understand or fully appreciate, perhaps a good thing. It would likely make him uncomfortable in the future. Eyes didn’t look towards painted stallion, and missed the fall of his expression as he continued on. He most likely would have mistaken it anyways, as Midas had thought. Talking became easier the farther on he went, as if it simply open up past cracked doors and flooded out.

For a moment emeralds brightened at the sight of the tree- their tree. It was home. It was comfort, security, love, and memories. It was him and Midas, and only them. It looked so very different, budding and beautiful considering he’d been taken under Midas’ wing shortly before Frostfall. Was it? Cera could hardly remember, everything seemed centered around Midas. He could hardly remember what life was like before, and when he did it was mostly just raw emotion that flickered away quickly. At first, yanked out of thoughts by Midas’ voice, he thought he was the one being spoken to and felt momentarily wounded. Hiding it quickly, fearing Midas had seen it once he realized it was Fina he had spoken to. Cera didn’t understand why he spoke aloud in front of Cera. To the colt, speaking aloud with Ilaria was a very private and intimate thing, though he suspected it was because she was all he really had to keep him afloat. She helped him so much, and helping her learn was a past-time he wanted to be only between them. Seeing Midas speak aloud to her he realized he was probably the strange one and not Midas. It was almost habitual to sink down to the cooler sand beneath their tree, cuddling close to his father. Ilaria nearly slid down his shoulder, too tired and lazy to actually hop down. Waddling to hide beneath Cera’s right wing, pressed behind his right elbow. Her darker colors made her experience the heat in a way her normal breed would have withered under, and Cera understood her need for the cooler sand and shade of his wings.

Shame turned young face, knowing it was a foolish fear long before Midas spoke. Staring down at bent knees sadly, though he never rejected the words Midas gifted him with. There wasn’t much said but Cera sighed and nodded, knowing he had to get over such an irrational fear. Crown lifting and turning, hope blossoming on his visage. Another crafter? In the Throat? ”Really?” Voice soft and eager, already filing the name away to track down later. He wanted to help, to be of use to the herd. Contented, Cera leaned to the left so that he could lay the length of his neck over Midas’ shoulder. Inhaling deeply, completely comfortable. He felt safe, loved. Slowly he was healing, and he fought tooth and nail for it every day. Knowing that Note was out of line made Cera’s brow furrow, thinking he had gotten Note in trouble for doing the one thing he never doubted himself on, which was telling his father everything that possibly bothered him. Wisdom came easily, and Cera opened both his heart and his ears to take in what he had to give. Even so he couldn’t help but giggle slightly, as if the thought was preposterous when he asked that Cera love his friends like he loved Hototo. ”I can’t, Daddy. Hototo’s like…a brother. I love him, I don’t want to love others like him, he’s special,” persistent in this, knowing he couldn’t possibly love say, Wanyecha or Mystique in the way he loved Hototo. It was just…wrong. Different.

Tremble of voice had eyes snapping back, concerned. It was a weakness they shared between the two of them, and they would have to do it together. Midas seemed to have the same idea. Reaching out, Cera nudged his muzzle against the line where Midas’ cheek began. Breathing out softly, brushing him with equal tenderness. No words were needed, simply motion to show he understood and was grateful. That he agreed. They would do it together, when the time came.

”Daddy, I want to fight with you.” And there it was, out of the blue. Cera knew Midas would object, and schooled his face into the best mask of maturity that he could. He wouldn’t allow himself to look young and small, though he probably did anyways. It wasn’t something he could control, really. Growing he may be, but he wasn’t bulking up, and poutily assumed he never would.
Image by Alex
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING

When Cera’s face lite up at the mention of another opportunity at crafting, I grinned and nodded assertively; he would get his chance at becoming whatever the gods deemed proper. “Magic will grow within you, just give it some time.” I say positively. His response toward Hototo was actually a blessing, and not really surprising. The foals got along rather well; which was perfect for the grand scheme of things. My thought process was that if something were to happen to me… at least Ktulu and Hototo would be there in my stead to pick up the pieces. Cera already knew of my affections for Ktulu by how we had begun as a family to spend more time with them.

He loved Hototo enough for their comfort to be allowed if somehow I were to vanish from this existence, “Your bond with the colt is special,” I murmur while leaning into his touch and pressing forehead against the soft contours of reachable flesh. It made me a little glum that his baby essence I had come to love was slowly disappearing, “I understand.” Oh I knew. Deep down, I knew of how strong this love could run. It was humbling, awe-inspiring to me that this simple soul could cherish life the way he did. Untarnished, untainted by the hates of our world.

But.

Gangly colt was quickly budding into yearling; soon he would be a stallion worthy of earning title and place within our growing clan. Already his length stretched to match mine in the coming months; weight would then surpass my own compact gene pool. Despite the signs of growth and agility, Cera had never struck me as fighter material. A defender perhaps, a crafter yes, knowledgeable in the art of war for the sake of protecting those most important, but beyond that….. he didn’t seem to have the desire of becoming a brawler.

No flame of true battle burned in his breast, which meant that my gentle giant wouldn’t ever follow in these footsteps willingly. Which was a total contrast to the yearnings of my early youth, most of which had been spent close to mothers milk. But the later months had been shared with Sire, and the sparing ring. It drew attention and captured heart. The glory and honor was intriguing. Hours were spent simply watching brave lords and ladies fight for endurance, speed, and skill. Father wouldn’t let me get in on the action. But, I could tell of his pride by the way he smiled at the end of a hard day’s work, knowing that I had stood by in careful study. Cheering him on.

He had been my hero.

Throat tightened when a little voice interrupted my trip along memory lane, ”Daddy, I want to fight with you.” My response was tender, warm and full of delight. There would be nothing more pleasing than to have you by my side, but alas, “You are still seasons away from your first spar,” knowing the retorts would be quick in coming I add softly, “Nothing would make me happier than to have you near when the enemy comes.” Cera couldn’t fight, not yet, not now. His life would be torn asunder and rendered meaningless, and that wasn’t going to happen while this body still had power within it.

Serious now my face tightens and the beginnings of a frown form, he wasn’t going to like my next set of words. But surely by now the painted cherub would expect it, “You are to head toward the ocean when the battle starts—follow it to our special place.” My voice offered no quarter and held firm direction, he usually knew better than to press further when matters got serious, “You know…the one where we meet Ktulu and Hototo every so often to play along the surf?”

Relief and love twine around his heart, not restricting it but instead comforting it. Midas does not judge him for his inability to fight, instead he encourages his love for crafting. Aiding him, accepting him despite the fact he is too sweet of a soul to bring blood to another’s hide. And yet, he desires to fight as well. To be like his father. It is a disconcerting mix, but he cannot understand why he can’t be both. Surely he can craft and damage at the same time? Midas is the General, and yet Cera knows he helps with the building of their wall, using his magic to construct the object that the colt has memorized. It reminds him of Bazilisk, which makes him sore, but he doesn’t mind. He has realized that once he is old enough, he will fight to claim the place of Crafter. He will bring honor to the Throat, he will display the grandeur that flows within the veins of every desert dweller. Cera is surprised by this passion, by how much he wants to show others that the Throat will never fall. And he also realizes that he is willing to fight for that, and nearly doesn’t hear what Midas has to say.

Focus shifts back to him and smile blooms on a face that is quickly outgrowing its baby image. Face turned to meet his, and they moved as if hoping to touch every inch of each other. Cera didn’t want to grow up sometimes, fearing he would lose this closeness. Would Midas be against Cera wanting to cuddle once he was an adult? It was the fear of adolescence, of having to face the world on his own even with the knowledge that Midas would always be behind him to urge him onward. There is silence for a long moment. Cera presses closer, wishing that he was not so gangly for he is taking up so much unneeded space. Space that could be used to better press against his daddy. The cherub was a being of touch, of empathy. Simple brush of hide comforted him in ways no words could. The sun was high and hot, making him feel a little drowsy, but he is anticipating the rebuttal that is sure to come from his father.

Even if he prepared for it, he cannot fight back the injustice he feels. He can’t, he won’t let Midas charge into battle once more. The memory of every injury on his painted hide still stung his mind fiercely, reminding him of the first time when he was younger that Midas had gone off to war. Anger rises in his throat like bile, only to be quelled by Midas’ comforting words. Pride blooms in his chest cavity, and he is momentarily complacent, willing to listen. He is far from a disobedient son after all. Serious face replaces the tender gaze, which injures and angers him. It is meant to show how serious Midas is about the situation, but Cera for once does not allow him to plant the idea into his brain. For once in his entire life, he won’t obey. Long legs push him up, up, up. Sprouting up towards the sky, and he knows someday he will tower over Midas’ compact frame. He will never have his father’s bulk, veering towards a leaner variety, but he is using his growing body to show his anger and refusal. Startled, Ilaria scampered back up onto his shoulders and held on tight, feeling how Cera shook with anger and injustice. It was all sprouting from a tiny seed of fear, fear of Midas becoming harmed. Cera wanted to be there to watch his back, to keep him from being hurt. ”No, no I won’t!” Even childish voice is starting to very slowly deepen, but it shakes nevertheless. Hoof stomps the sand and he bows back from the shade of their Magnolia tree, sunlight bursting bright across his sandy colors and alabaster patches. Eyes dart from the sky to Midas, betraying his fear that is covered up by anger. ”I want to fight, daddy! You can’t make me leave!” Wings unfurl, though not fully, hoping to make himself appear even the slightest bit larger without assuming a threatening pose. Ilaria slowly, cautiously moved up his neck to his poll and nudged his ear with her small face. Eyes slitted and he hissed through their bond. Her own dark brown narrowed and she bit at his ear in retaliation, knowing that the did not mean to offend her but warning him not to go too far in this fight with Midas. It was her own way of saying she worried for him. Scurrying back down to his shoulders, feeling his need to escape to the skies. Cera had been diligently practicing, and prayed that he could escape from his father if this truly did explode. The idea of it was appalling, made him feel absolutely sick, but he wasn’t ready to bow down and gracefully accept the idea that his father would be vulnerable and fighting not only for his herd but for his life for the second time.
Image by Alex
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
He moves from me and the absence creates a yearning for him to return, mouth hangs limp as if to retort this motion; yet no words fall into place to make it so. Was he really growing this fast? Shooting up like a little sapping that was stretching to find its place in a wide world full of tall oaks. The space between us instantly chills, and I sense what is coming yet can’t fathom hearing those words come to life. The tight furrowing of brow and straight lined frown seems misplaced on a normally cheerful face. My child was going to rebuke a command, and with a grimace I stare. Waiting to see what Cera planned to do next.

”No, no I won’t!”

Vocals are dropping from the high pitched voice of a boy, to one that will someday boom with the tone of a man. I stare at him dumbly, stricken and momentarily lost. Anger I was expecting, sadness even, but....no?
Though outward features seem to hold their stern placement, I struggle to retain composure; control over this situation was slipping away. An adolescence stands up against my direction and pushes for his own way, “I want to fight, daddy! You can’t make me leave!” Tan wings start to unfurl and for a moment I wonder with widening eyes if he was going to recklessly take heaven by force.

My first instinct was to plead with him, beg him to see reason. But those glinting eyes tells me he would have none of it. Fiercely I search memories for an answer, my second thought was to do the unthinkable and rise over him, overpower and subdue this outburst of sudden disobedience. He knew, and I knew, hell everyone knew that a colt simply couldn’t be placed on the battlefield.

But what would yelling at him solve? He would learn nothing from this if I simply forced my will upon him…. No, I finally resolved, this matter had to be handed a certain way and carefully.

During this thinking process I simply sit by in silence, my eyes never leaving his face. Eventually my searching gaze notices something that halts the anger of being told ‘no.’ I see concern and love, a strong will to protect.

Maybe this gentle soul did possess the fire of a warrior after all.

The tight lines on my face relax ever so slightly, and gaze turns away to stare past him toward heaven. Thoughtfully I respond, ”You are correct,” ears tilt ever so slightly in a backwards direction, the only warning he was going to get for what was to happen next, I can’t force you to leave.” My voice is soft, dangerously somber, ”You ask for the chance to enter hell, to fly back into the arms of death….I will not lie to you Cera…cannot lie to you.”

“This request means only heartache and pain."

"Unlike your current state, I am built for battle and war…have been trained and tested for it since youth.” Cera wanted to fight, and the thought of it made my heart sick with dread. Nausea burst up and threatened to close of throat. Forcefully I powered through it all the same, “Hold fast and hear my words child, see what battle has created.” Rising slowly I call upon the pulsing collar around my neck, it feels warm and comforting. But its purpose was anything but comfort, it was built to not only protect, but to kill. Rapidly each smooth plate snaps forward so that I become a beast of metal by the time body fully stands.

This frame was a terror he hadn't seen except in fleeting moments. Cera had only witness me wearing this armor once before, on the day of his violent attack. Purposely I hadn’t ever shown it to him, because I didn’t want him to be afraid…..

My heart thunders away beneath the sheets of metal and gold, and from behind the horned mask my eyes flash, gentleness gone and the edge of a warrior in its place, “Gaze upon me not as a babe with fear and a trembling heart, but as a man--for you desire something that is not childish…." Staring down at him through masked eyes I add gently, "Think upon this, and answer me honestly....do you still want to fight by my side?” My purpose was not frighten, but to make Cera realize the full weight of this choice. It was his alone to make, I couldn’t make it for him; nor could I protect him forever.

Shock has frozen his father’s dark face into an expression Cera doesn’t see very often. Ilaria is growing distressed where she is holding on to his shoulders, uncomfortable with the flurry of emotions growing in his tiny chest. There is no stopping the feelings that bubble forth in his heart, and he fears deep down that they will both regret this collision in the future. Even the self-hatred he feels at disobeying is not strong enough to stop the tidal wave of fear and fury that slam into him like a physical force. Stern visage replaces the previously stunned expression his father had adorned, and Cera wavers momentarily. This refusal is so against his nature that it feels wrong, as if he is stuck in the wrong skin, but much like momentum he cannot stop himself at will. They are in a stand-off for a long time, silent. Cera’s wings remained at the ready, for if he will not be taken seriously then he will leave in seconds. He doubts that he is a better flier than Midas, but he was willing to take that risk if he had to. The knowledge that this may become a fight makes him feel ill, like his stomach is being churned violently, and he wants to cry and beg for forgiveness. But no, he must remain strong even if he wants to take it back. Cera despised seeing the look Midas wore, half-disappointed and half-pained. But he couldn’t let his daddy charge into battle one more time.

Something seems to catch his eye and the anger of his father’s face relax slightly. This doesn’t comfort the growing colt, and in fact only serves to confuse him further. It is hard to keep that, too, from showing on his face; an open book. Gaze leaves the willowy colt, but dark ears fall at half-mast. Cera’s insides jumped as if electrocuted, but he kept his brave face and did the same. Fatherly tone has become almost dead, making the youth jumpy and even more unsure. Wings curl out, as if trying to touch every tendril of wind that floats above the desert. He doesn’t remember doing it, but it is a reaction to Midas’ foreign tone. Flight became his friend soon after d’Artagnan’s attack, though he had been trying to conquer it for quite a while before understanding he couldn’t force the winds in their finicky ways. At that point, he was growing more confident with his aerial abilities, and the need to escape from the confrontation was growing. Anger and a mass of confusing emotions kept him rooted, as well as the desire to hear Midas out. He would never be a disobedient child despite his outburst.

”This request means only heartache and pain.”

Cera bristled, ears flattening fully, but his eyes dart unsurely. He is aware that he is not much help, being untrained, but Kri had said that they could be! Grasping at straws he is desperate to prove himself right, to protect Midas. Attention is rapt when words call it, and horror makes his face flicker when the armor settled into place. That is not his father, that terrible creature cloaked in metal. The horns on the face give him pause, but they are short and non-threatening, and do not set him into a panic. However the sight of the magically enhanced plates do, for he remembers. He had been half drunk on poison and pain, but he remembered at least Midas charging into battle with the demon of blood. Before Midas even speaks Cera is taking multiple step backwards, as if he has been threatened. Light caramel wings spread out from his body further, eyes wild. Only when Midas’ voice came slipping out did the instinct to get awayawayaway stutter to a halt. He pauses, and Ilaria is making a distressed sound, feeling the fear emanating off her bonded. All kindness, however, is gone from his father’s face, and Cera feels very, very cold inside. Ilaria fell silent, as if death hung over them. Neither moved. Even when his voice gentled, Cera’s face lost the emotion it had displayed so vividly. ”I won’t let you be hurt,” he hissed, ears pinned against his cream face. Anger fills every syllable, but he won’t acknowledge the waver that accompanies it. Wings remained outstretched, a warning to Midas that if these words are not heeded then he will leave. It breaks his heart, and he is starting to panic. Trying in vain to hide how he is shattering, seeing that armor on his father. Not wanting to succumb to the nightmare of his memories, for that armor is tied to d’Artagnan, which triggers many other things. Hototo, Hototo, I need Hototo! His mind is screaming at him and eyes flicker in the direction of the Deep Forest with an expression of desperation and need. Why he wants to run to the awkward, fumbling colt he does not know, but at that moment he wanted to fly recklessly to his beloved adopted brother and cry on his shoulder. Even if imagining his reaction normally would make Cera roll over laughing. ”You can’t make me watch you leave while I do nothing!” Eyes flicker back to his father, remembering what is going on. Vision narrows, trying to be angry, but his gaze is surprisingly hazy with tears that bud on his green irises. ”You can’t stop me, and you won’t!” Voice rising to the loudest it can possibly go, uncaring how young he sounds, wanting to appear fierce. This has given him a hold on his anger, but desperation lingers behind glassy orbs. He wants to protect Midas, not fight with him!
Image by Alex
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
”I won’t let you be hurt,” what he didn’t understand was, most things were going to hurt. It was hurting now, talking to him like this; but what else did he expect? Speaking words of war and battle was to have the desire to grow an extra few inches more than anyone wanted or expected. Sighing heavily I knew that this wasn’t going anywhere fast, he moved from me as if my head had become detached from body. At least the point had been made, yet his fear scent and wide eyes send waves of sorrow throughout my veins, and makes my resolve shatter.

”You can’t make me watch you leave while I do nothing!”

I stare him through the mask, wishing/praying for greater understanding, and knowing that it only came from heartbroken experience. There would be more moments like this, many times ahead where we just flat out disagreed. But these tests also gave us a chance to become stronger because of it. I knew that one day he would be grown; and would understand the world and its horrors.

Both of us loved the other completely, without strings or expectations attached. The only downside to such love was that you gave the other person power to cause harm in ways that were sometimes beyond that of physical pain. His wings are fully extended, ready to fly away and this wounds me more than anything; knowing that he would chose to run away from me. The one person that was trying so earnestly to appease and make a young mind understand the gravity of words and actions.

What I did, I did out of concern for him.

My armor slowly slips away, plates sliding to reveal flesh bit by bit. Smooth as liquid it glides until finally falling back into place as a lightened collar. The demonstration wouldn’t be needed for anything more in our conversation,”You can’t stop me, and you won’t!” He very nearly shouts, my auds and body flex, posed still as a statue. I listen and then offer softly, “I’m not going to stop you Cera, and I never will…you are free to make whatever choice must lead you.” Pain makes my voice tight, but somehow low. Like the rumbling of thunder during a storm. Despite the sturdiness it carries, I am stricken on the inside--weakened by this and many other things.

Who would hear my pleas and fears?

“It is my duty, and privilege to defend this family—to rob someone of their purpose and desire would be like me forcefully binding you away for speaking out.” What could I do? He seemed far too upset to see past anger and fear, “I have left for war before and returned didn’t I? Can you not trust me enough to come back again and again?” My tone turns nearly pleading, trying to reach him. Heavily these limbs once again fold, but skull and neck remain lifted.

My head falls a little, its weight plus invisible cords upon my shoulders seem too much to carry right now, “Please Cera, run if you want, cool off if you have the need. But know my feelings on this matter, as I have heard yours.” Lost. Lost without a father of my own to give direction for how this was supposed to work, I was still very young and not entirely sure of how to raise a growing stallion. “I love you son.” Swallowing hard my voice lowers to a whisper, “and it is for that love that I chose to send you away when the battle comes to our soils, so you don’t have to witness the bloodshed and desire of others. So that you may remain safe, for if anything was to happen….”

The memory of you. Norse. Comes screeching in my mind at full force, with each moment the fires of your light burn brighter and brighter, “Can’t you see Cera….I don’t know what else you want me to do—I am bound as you are.” Wanting to find a solution to both our problems I press another question, “What would you have me do?”

Anger is a shield, one that Cera is using quite well. It hides his fear, his anxiety, the feeling that he is completely useless. That Midas does not need him, that he cannot protect his father from harm. Being angry is easier, it hurts less. Ilaria does not approve and is biting and scratching him with every outburst he has, but he ignores her. He had to get this out, had to show Midas that he wanted to keep him safe. It is not his job, as a growing babe, to protect a full grown adult. He knows this, but he cannot keep himself from wanting to be there to shield Midas from others that wish him harm. The memory of the last time he walked off the battlefield is still fresh, and every wound recorded in his young mind so many seasons ago.

He will not leave, will not summon the air beneath his wings and flee. It is cowardly of him, to even think it. He keeps them extended only because he is desperate for Midas to see that he is serious. For him to appear older, larger. Not such a dead weight. The idea of anyone so much as laying a hoof on his father makes unbridled anger rear its ugly head in him, makes him want to summon those beings here so that he could give them a taste of what they wish to do to his dad. He will not have the strength to do so for many seasons more, but it is an instinct he cannot quell.

Armor slips away to reveal the man he knows better, and feathered appendages slowly retreat back into his body. He is no longer afraid, seeing the kindly if weary face. Often Cera finds himself thinking late at night that Midas is on the brink, for he can see the stress that paints lines on a father that is still in his prime. He worries for him, and despairs at the fact that he is only mounting the worry on his shoulders. That it is him doing this, consciously, and he is hurting his father. It kills him inside, and he is so conflicted. It seems every emotion has suddenly wormed its way into his chest, and he doesn’t know which one to pay attention to. This isn’t him, this isn’t Cera, and he feels like a stranger parading around in his own skin. His father’s soft voice seems far louder than Cera’s shout, and the colt’s face crumpled, eyes teary and muzzle quivering. He is losing ground, he is losing himself, and he knows he is inches from breaking.

”I have left for war before and returned didn’t I? Can you not trust me enough to come back again and again?”

He is laying once more beneath their tree, and a tear slipped out of Cera’s control. Wings collapse against his sides as if he no longer has the strength to keep them aloft, and he moves closer, crown lowered and eyes teary. He despises fighting with his father, but he is scared. What if- ”What if you don’t this time?” Voice is caught in the throes of despair and fright, the idea more than enough to send him off the edge of control. What if this time, his father does not return? What if his promise becomes void? Midas bids him to leave, but the anger is gone. It was never really there in the first place, for it was fake. He will not run, not when he needs comfort just as much as his father. They are not meant to be torn apart like this, and Cera hates it.

”I love you son,”

That is all that is needed to bring him to his knees before his father as well. The tears come slow, but they exist nonetheless. He eased forward on his legs and pressed his face to Midas’ cheek, crying. Whimpering, ”I-I love you too daddy.” What would Cera have him do? What could he do? It was selfish of him to want Midas to stay, to not fight. It is still small, in his mind, that Midas is the General of the Throat. He does not understand his father’s importance, but he wants him to stay. But he knows, inside, that he cannot, and that makes him wail all the more. ”I-I don’t want you to be hurt, dad,” Cera cried, edging closer in need of comfort. The rift that had been torn between them by himself was unbearable, and he wanted it to be mended. His emotions had never been this haywire before the attack, but now he found himself prone and upset at the slightest of things. It was not as bad as directly after the incident, but it lingered despite his wishes. He felt like a horrible son, wanting these things, putting this stress on his father. He just hoped Midas would not turn him away physically, that they could mend this.
Image by Alex
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING

”What if you don’t this time?”

What if? I frowned and felt his words tug on a string inside breast; this pressing concern wasn’t something that I wanted to think about. It was often pushed to the darkest corners of my soul because as mortals we often thought ourselves to be invincible; never wondering about death and its grasping fingers that so often robbed us of life as a thief in the night. To have it so bluntly pushed forward made it feel ever more tangible and frightening. Frightening enough that my instinct as a guardian was to question the weight of duties, what if I didn’t come back? What would happen to Cera?

Even considering the possibility of being permanently separated made my heart and stomach sick with dread. Nauseous, I forcefully pushed this ‘what if’ aside and closed eyes, taking a slow breath and closing mouth seemed to help with the sudden rush of sickness. As a parent, as a father, nothing was more important to me than returning to the warm embrace of friends and family.

I wondered for a mere second that perhaps me taking on the role of ‘General,’ was a big mistake. But amidst my surge of concern your face comes to mind, Ktulu. My dragging fears lift ever so slightly and clarity comes as welcomed friend. Again, I fall back to her with safe knowledge that even if I was too part from this world—she would surely step up to care for him in my place.

This precious child.

Without him, my world would tip on its axel and possibly chuck me off. Imagining a life that didn’t include him was like imagining my wings suddenly clipped. He was the focal point of my existence, the reason I fought day in and day out. He stole breath, and gave endless surprises with each new dawn. It kept me young and with vigor, but it also aged this body beyond its years. They say you grow up when a child comes into your life, and already I felt like a tired old man.

His face is close to mine, small muzzle pressed into my cheeks. It is upon them that I feel wetness, he is crying; fear and anger finally wane. ”I-I love you too daddy.” My left wing slips out to touch him, the feather brushing across what parts they could reach and shadowing head from the sun. His scent is warm and comforting, familiar, family. ”I-I don’t want you to be hurt, dad.”

What could I say? The feeling was mutual. My lips slide open to gape like a fish; but no words come forth to offer anything that would further aid my case and earn his trust. Pulling him closer, while also being mindful of were Ilaria likely rested between lithe shoulders; l snuggle until we were but a heartbeat from each other and I simply hold him there. Wishing my soul could reach in and forcefully remove all bad memories for us both. Sink back into a time when he was younger, less corrupt, and without pressing wound that took turns ravaging us both. My neck twists over his lean body, shadowing and covering in a warmth that isn’t needed because of Tallsun; but we both had need for physical contact in this moment.

“You must trust my judgment, trust that I can protect you. Trust that I will return again.” I speak wholeheartedly and gently, soft as fur. “I also need you to do something for me when that time comes, something very important.” Pulling back a little, my gaze tries to catch his eye. Bottomless stare a pool of melted honey, that he would recognize and hopefully find comfort in.

The world is a scary place, and Cera knows that intimately. When Midas had gone off to war the first time, he had been far more innocent to the evil in the world. There was less for him to worry about, because the foes Midas battled in his younger mind had been harmless and easily felled. Since seeing and experiencing the poison of the demon in the forest, he knew that there were foes out there that were on par with Midas and also exceeded him in power. It made his heart quiver with fear, brought about the very real terror that Midas might not return once more. And where would that leave him? Cera knew about Midas’ love for Ktulu, though he did not understand that well. Living with Hototo and Ktulu wouldn’t be bad, but he doubted he would be the same if Midas really died. The thought only served to further distress him, increase the flow of tears that painted his father’s skin.

Midas’ slow breaths and calming scent kept Cera from a full breakdown, though he felt as if he was hovering on the edge. He didn’t know what lay at the bottom of that cliff, but he didn’t ever want to go down into it to find out. It seemed that every thought had been put on mute, for he couldn’t seem to think at all. It was actually a relief to him, to simply cry and not have to be assaulted by the words that drilled his head and hissed at him in the night. His fears were all out in the open for his father to see, and he was able to rest in peace at last.

As he had desired an alabaster wing moved forward to cup his body, but no words fall forth from his lips in reply to Cera’s words. Ilaria remained quiet where she was, knowing the family needed their own time, keeping out of the way. At first Cera was terrified by his silence, but the closeness quelled all fears. The beating in his chest no longer felt like he had run a marathon, and the shaking in his limbs subsided. Cera was not and never would be an angry child, and even the irrational use of anger as a shield frightened him, made him feel wrong. It scared him to feel that way, fake as it was. He didn’t like anger. The heat of their bodies is likely not best in the Tallsun heat, but Cera leaned his body closer to his father nonetheless. Heat and physical discomfort would not keep him from his father’s comforting presence.

Voice is gentle when it speaks, this time, and Cera knows they have just made it past one of the bumps in their relationship. Truthfully they are very few and far between, but getting past them always made him feel better, as if he had reached a new level of love for Midas. ”I w-will trust you.” It is all that needs to be said, but the syllables that follow have Cera withdrawing meekly and peering into the softness of Midas’ eyes. They are no longer frightening, but familiar. He does not want to agree but knows he must, and so he nods, throat clogged up so that he is unable to verbally respond in the affirmative.
Image by Alex
Ascended Helovian

Deceased

m i d a s
BEYOND HERE LIES NOTHING
We all would meet the final death eventually, it was only a matter of where, when, and how. My (where) was hopefully on the battlefield, which was the base desire of many a warrior--to be felled by a worthy opponent. Cera was right to shelter fear that a more powerful enemy would one day take this life and throw it aside like yesterday’s gossip. But it wouldn’t be in this moment, and I would try my damnst to make sure that it wasn’t during his time of growth. If luck would have it, this pitiful excuse for a guardian that my child so loved, would be able to make it long enough to at least see him fully grown and capable of handling himself.

I felt honored to have his love, nearly unworthy of it. Perhaps that was the reason I tried so hard to not fail him and keep being that stronghold of protection his young mind looked up too. If it all boiled down to the truth, I wanted to follow the hoofprints of my mother and father; I wanted to not only be his daddy, but his hero. Unfortunately the eve would come when my efforts fell aside, and this proud warrior would let him down. My prayer was that such a day came later rather than sooner.

”I w-will trust you.”

His word finally gave tangible acceptance to an unwinnable battle. I nodded once in approval to his submission and hoped that it wouldn’t be left to waste. It was trust we gave each other now that his word given, it was my turn to believe that he would hold to it. Cera wasn’t a dishonest cherub, so this mind had very few doubts that his intetion would turn from a promise. Still, I sought to further seal this between us by giving him something useful to do, “I need you to keep Fina when we go to war--be it now or a little later.” Glancing up at the beautiful fiery bird I added reason behind the request, “She is yet a baby and still only a season old, I don’t want her to get hurt during the fray….will you please guard her for me?” Fina wouldn’t be pleased to hear she was getting left behind, and already I could sense her picking around in my skull to find out why her name was mentioned. She was deviously clever.