the Rift

slave to memory

Smoke the Wild Rose Posts: 128
Hidden Account
Mare :: Equine :: 15.2 hh :: 10 Buff: SWIFT
Zaffre :: Common Blue Dragon :: Fire Breath Kachie
He sensed her, before she could speak a word. Turned back to see who approached, picked her out from amidst the shadows. Nothing more than could be expected from one who had dwelled in the forests long enough to know the difference between the forest at rest and the forest disturbed. Yet he didn't flee, didn't retreat or attack. So she remained calm, inclining her head as he spoke her name.

When he turned away again, placing his back to the lands that had changed greatly with the changing of their guards, she removed herself from them. Stepping with quiet casualness to join him in the moon's glow, out amongst the silvered grasses. Not to his side, no. Instead she stood just off to the side, retaining a cautious but respectful distance. Just far enough that he could not wheel and stab her, should he choose. Not easily, anyway. She felt confident enough in her ability to leap away from a physical attack, and purposefully ignored the fact that he had more than just that way to inflict harm.

A sense of unease welled in the bond between herself and Zaffre, accompanied with both the intent and a question about coming to her aid. But she soothed the blue's concern with a balm of warm feelings, silently encouraging him to remain where he was.

Silence stretched in the night as her steps fell silent, dark eyes casting out over the sea of grass. So different were they, who stood silent in one another's company. He pale as a moonbeam, an extension of the glow that suffused the meadow. She a disembodied shadow nearby, silvered but possessing a stubborn darkness that defied the light of sun and moon alike.

And then he spoke, an innocent question, but smalltalk that she'd not expected from him. One ear twitched, tilting toward the Frostheart with a sidelong glance. "Well enough," she murmured in turn. "Time has swept me along in its path. My daughter became independent when I could no longer tolerate politics that I had become victimized by. It is hard to love those who ostracize you because you chose to sacrifice for their well being." She shrugged simply. "But there is a new light in my life from it, and I have fewer concerns as a healer than a warrior." It was more than she'd shared than with most she now called herdmates, but it did not strike her as odd to confess these small happenings to one that she could have called a foe. He reminded her of another, long ago, found on the ice while sick and vulnerable. But she wasn't sure why.

Their simple beginnings of a conversation were interrupted then, by heavy hoof-falls only mildly muffled by the grass they fell upon. Ears swept forward as she looked up to see another unicorn, near as pale as Mauja himself. Young, inexperienced, unknown. He took a neutral position before them, neither leaning more toward one than the other, before offering an unusual greeting indeed. A silently questioning glance was cast toward Mauja, recollections of their prior encounter and its quirky accompaniment with Monster floating in her mind. Then she returned her gaze to the young stud with a small nod. "Greetings." It was offered simply in counter to his brief salutation. And then she waited for Mauja to decide whether or not to stay.

Messages In This Thread
slave to memory - by Mauja - 01-27-2013, 08:40 AM
RE: slave to memory - by Smoke - 01-30-2013, 02:37 AM
RE: slave to memory - by Mauja - 01-31-2013, 07:52 AM
RE: slave to memory - by Roy - 02-03-2013, 01:48 PM
RE: slave to memory - by Smoke - 02-04-2013, 07:01 AM
RE: slave to memory - by Roy - 02-09-2013, 08:03 PM
RE: slave to memory - by Smoke - 02-12-2013, 08:33 PM
RE: slave to memory - by Mauja - 02-14-2013, 09:34 AM
RE: slave to memory - by Roy - 03-03-2013, 04:06 PM