the Rift

[COMPLETE] They all fall down | Practise Spar, Archibald

Archibald the Dauntless Posts: 386
Absent Abyss atk: 6.0 | def: 9.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Equine :: 18.3 hh :: 10 years HP: 80 | Buff: SHIELD
Loretta :: Alaskan Malamute :: Time Slip Time

Archibald’s only fighting experience against pegasi was left on the shoulders of his older brother, Wilder, and the things he had seen during the Qian Invasion. His experience with Wilder proved well, though. The dark knight understood that wings were powerful and could even extend harmful blows should they be thrown correctly, and Archibald intended to keep those wings at bay. As an equine, Archibald had no bodily adornment such as a wing or a horn, and part of him wished to rip Gacuho’s wings off just as he had wished to break Leyra’s horn off during their battle. Without wings, pegasi were nothing special, and without horns unicorns were nothing special. Archibald understood that beneath all of the rough exteriors, there was something that unicorns and pegasi took as pride towards their species specific crowns. Archibald wanted to diminish that pride and bring them to the same level as equines. It was odd for Archibald to have these feelings in real life, as they were reserved for the battle field only. He was not racist in the least, regularly, as he spent his life alongside his diverse species family. But, it is said that war changes someone.

Archibald’s charge is accepted, and the winged creature throws his body into the dark knight’s as he passes. The blow is powerful, but Archibald’s mass absorbs it well. A slight grunt puffs from the mouth of the Dauntless before his bite lands successfully, and a quiver of thrill runs through his body. As the Dauntless, like a machine, continues to attack he feels his back hooves land squarely on Gaucho and his face tightens. Matching the timing of the other stallion as best he could, Archibald pivoted his body to stand perpendicular to the bay, watching from narrowed eyes as he rises into a rear. Those wings, the ones Archibald wishes to dismember, rise into the air and strike down powerfully, and Archibald smirks. Archibald sidestepped then, as Gaucho’s hooves came crashing towards him. The Hanoverian’s hooves just scrape along Archibald’s right shoulder, the one marred by Jackal’s dragon fire. Archibald huffed a breath as the primal stallion landed the blow, the pain running down his scarred shoulder. A bruise, the thought, taking in the damage and pushing past the pain, and he continues his momentum to turn to face Gaucho, and lets his smirk widen across his blaze-painted face. With Archibald’s turn, the bay’s teeth scrape across his mane, and Archibald wonders how the bay feels with a mouthful of coarse hair.

Gaucho turns and brings his rear end towards the Dauntless, but the tide changes then. Backing up just a few paces, narrowly missing the buck, Archibald plants his hooves firmly, lifting his head some, mane tossing and forelock covering his pinned ears. Archibald’s golden eyes fall on to Gaucho’s form sadistically, and his magic rushes forward, gripping the stallion before him with all of its might. Archibald had yet to use this gift from the Earth God, so righteously given to him, and he deemed Gaucho a fitting gerbil. The Earth God had given Archibald the ability to turn his opponent’s bones to stone, and the Dauntless grew with the new power. The Earth God had blessed him so greatly in his time here, first with Loretta and his tremor magic, and now with this. It was perfect, in Archibald’s war-driven mind, to use against opponents faster than him. Gaucho was a large stallion, with some bulk, but by nature could outrun the Dauntless easily.

As Archibald’s magic grappled Gaucho the black knight rushed forward, closing the distance between the two. Archibald’s neck stretched out again as he approached on Gaucho’s left side. This time Archibald aimed for his downcast head, hoping to grab onto the bone that pierced his soft nose and diminish the primal pegasus to nothing but a whelp with the pain he caused. If Archibald’s bite was successful, he would pull to the left hard, hoping to rip the bone and Gaucho’s face with him. In the back of his head he could hear Loretta cheering him on, but he could not pinpoint her location. Her encouragement kept him driving, for she wished the same thing as Archibald: to bring pain to this bay at all cost.

The land around them was warm in the infancy of Tallsun, and the sun baked on Archibald’s dark coat. Gently, sweat started to seep through the chest and inner thighs of the Dauntless. The dust the kicked up between the two stole the purity of Archibald’s white feathers. Mildly, Archibald commended this stallion for choosing a good battle ground, with the earth packed hard beneath their feet. His hooves tingled, body aching to send the earth into spasms and throw the already magic-attacked bay off balance.

[WC: 798 | PC: 2/2 | MC: 1/2 | Archibald turns to stand perpendicular to Gaucho and Gaucho kicks Archibald's shoulder and bites a chunk of his mane. Sidestepping, Archibald turns to face Gaucho as he turns his butt towards him and backs up quickly. Archibald then uses his magic, which turns an opponent's bones to stone for 30 seconds. Archibald then runs forward and bites at Gaucho's nose piercing and pulls to the left.]

ARCHIBALD
The world is a scary place
Now that you've woken up the demon in me

Image Credits

To answer your questions, first, before I start off on my rant:

On your end when attacking, try to be as realistic as possible. In this, I mean that horses move around during fights and only putting in 2-3 attacks is good. Also, horse fights are quick. Putting in a lot of attacks for a fight that lasts less than 5-10 minutes is not particularly a good idea.

When sparring a person that does put in 800 attacks, though, my advice is to mention each attack (because you need to to gain points on the rubric) but by no means does your character have to stay there and take all of those attacks. Like I said, horses move in fighting and therefore if the example is “Archi ran towards Gaucho, trying to kick him as he passed by. Then he turned around, reared, and tried to hit his back with his hooves. Then he tried to bite...” your response could be “Guacho saw Archi running towards him and turned his body as Archi ran past him, causing Archi’s hooves to only pass air. Gaucho then reared to match Archi and struck out with his hooves in a defensive manner while Archi’s hooves clacked against Gaucho’s. As Gaucho landed his rear he jerked out of the way of Archi’s incoming mouth, but was too slow and received a bite on his shoulder”—or something along those lines.

In that example, I responded to each attack Archi wrote but did not have Gaucho stand there, almost brainless, and take each attack. Does that make sense? If not, tell me and I will try to be clearer.
Resembling your inquiry, you packed a lot of attacks into this post. However, in my opinion, they all worked. However, I will just put in for you to remember to think of how long each attack takes. Boom broke it down nicely, so I will use her example:
Kick: 3 seconds

Turn: 3.5 seconds

Bite: 1 second

Kick: 3 seconds
So, I would say for you:
Thrust: 2 seconds

Rear: 4 seconds (with wings aiding him this would be around 5-6 seconds)

Buck: 3 seconds
In this, Archibald was able to evade most attacks, or lessen their severity, because he took just as long to move as Gaucho did. Archibald also has the battle buff of swift, which heightens his reaction time, so that also helps him in adjusting his behavior based on his opponent.

You seem to have a pretty good idea of how horses work, but I would encourage you to take a lot of time to focus on why Gaucho chose to attack the areas he did. For example, Archibald is trying to pull Gaucho’s bone piercing simply to cause him pain, because Archibald is angry and wants to hurt everyone. Gaucho, from what I know you feel OOC, wants to gain experience—so get into his head! Why does he attack the areas he does, how is he learning from Archibald’s attacks and movements? Horses are very reactive creatures and learn a lot, very quickly, about other horses because of how they act. Also, as I said before, put the terrain into your posts. This will help you gain points on the rubric, and the one with the most points at the end wins. So, basically: add more emotion, add surroundings.

You do really well in just referencing breed differences and how Gaucho reacts to them, but go into more detail on how the differences will benefit him, or if they won’t.

Through the ages of time
I've been known for my hate,
but I'm a dealer of simple choices;
for me it's never too late.

please tag me

Messages In This Thread
RE: They all fall down | Practise Spar, Archibald - by Archibald - 02-04-2013, 11:42 PM