the Rift

No Matter What [Xanthos]

Romani Posts: 205
Outcast atk: 4 | def: 8 | dam: 7
Mare :: Equine :: 14.2 :: 9 HP: 66 | Buff: NOVICE
Kasai :: White Tiger :: Wind Whip Sparrow

Romani

Tallsun.

It meant a change for all of Helovia; the crisp, balmy air of Birdsong would soon leave them, replaced with the sweltering heat of the sun’s rays and the fresh taste that only summer could bring. In its own way, it was a time of rebirth, much like every season was. A gift for the land and its inhabitants… But for one equine, slumbering peacefully beneath the protective embrace of a tree in the Foothills, the very gift she received was the return of long-dormant memories.

Times and names left forgotten swirled within her unconscious mind, blending and stitching themselves in place with the memories that she had long since obtained in her last visit to the Veins of the Gods, where she had met with the Moon Goddess. The names ‘Abdullah’, ‘Nayati’, and ‘Xanthos’ were returned to her, as was her memories of them, and the love that she felt towards each and every one of them. It was the sudden shift, the sudden change in her that caused Romani to wake, her head jerking upright and legs flailing slightly as she tried to recall just what was going on. Nostrils flaring and eyes wide with confusion, the mare tried to catch her bearings, looking around the familiar area that was her home. It was all the same… And yet, so much different.

At her side, having been slumbering rather peacefully, little Kasai stirred from her sleep and lifted her head, giving the palomino a curious look. The cub gave a mighty yawn, her sharp incisors on proud display as her mouth opened wide before snapping shut a moment later, and eyed Romani with concern. A fatigued sort of apprehension floated lovingly through the precious bond that the two shared, already formed deeply in their short time together, and Romani reciprocated with a soft touch of her own. She sent the cub images of Xanthos, and of the sweltering love that she felt for him… And how those memories blended. Romani recalled two events with Xanthos; meeting him the first time in the Thistle Meadow, and meeting him once more, not knowing who in the world he was. The pained expression that had crept upon his face when she had claimed that he didn’t know him stung her now like a thousand needles. Yet his words…

’I loved you…’ They sent a thrill straight to the warrior’s heart, something that made her hot and cold all at once, and stole her breath away. Xanthos loved her, and she had repaid him with nothing but scrutiny and confusion. Oh, what a fool she was…

“I have to find him,” Romani whispered, pushing herself to her feet and shaking the dirt and dust from her golden-red coat. “Find him and tell him. Come, Kasai, we need to leave now, for the Edge.” For that was where he had told her to go, should she remember him. The World’s Edge… So, he had escaped the cruel ways of the racist unicorns that resided in the Basin? Good… Xanthos was far too sweet of a creature to be submitted to partake in their vile ways.

Leaving the Foothills, Romani ventured far in the pre-dawn light, moving only at a pace where Kasai could keep up. If it weren’t for the tigress trailing along obediently behind her, the Haflinger would have pushed herself into a gallop immediately, and wouldn’t have stopped until she reached the Edge. Yet that would mean leaving the black and white cub behind, and despite her anxiety and excitement, Romani couldn’t force herself to do that. Instead, she took her time, watching the sun rise higher and higher into the sky as the two made their journey from the mountains of the Foothills to the thick, cool canopy of trees that dwelled within the World’s Edge.

Ears swiveling and turning to catch every sound that echoed throughout the forest, Romani ventured further into the territory of the Edge, picking her way carefully through the trees. Glancing back towards little Kasai, who, sensing the importance of their task had remained diligently by the mare’s side, the Haflinger spoke. “Stay close, sweet, just in case. I don’t want the residents here to think we mean any harm by our visit.”

The mists of the forest made it somewhat hard to see, and so the Haflinger slowed their pace to a calm walk. Nearby a brook bubbled pleasantly, a welcoming sound after their long and exhausting travel. A few paces onwards and horse and tiger encountered the small stream, where Romani promptly paused to enjoy a quick drink. The water was cold and refreshing upon her tongue. Kasai padded towards the water as well, and lapped up a few mouthfuls, tail twitching to and fro. This place was strange and new to the cub, and she refrained from letting Romani out of her sights for even a moment.

Romani looked to her bonded and chuckled softly. “Maybe soon we’ll find him… Oh, I hope we do. He needs to know that I… That I love him, too, Kasai.”

The true Soldier fights not because
He hates what is in front of him,
But because he loves what is behind him.

colourize-stock | arctic-stock | imi art

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable

I WILL LIVE FOR YOU

It was a peaceful day within the Edge. The clouds were mere wisps, the breeze was light, and the sun was warm. Ever so slowly, the mists were finally beginning to depart the forests, drawing back to the cliffs that lined the northern most borders. It was the first day of Tallsun, and like the beginning of any season, it brought with it, changes. Changes in the colors of the world, the weather, even the songs that the birds chose to sing. But for one, the first day of Tallsun seemed no different than any other.

A darkness had fallen over the light that was Xanthos' soul. He was stil the kindred stallion that he had always been, but something deep inside of him had shattered. It had rendered him a silent creature as of late, and the grullo often found himself sulking in the depths of the lush, green forests of the Edge. It was pathetic, really, at least in his mind. He had accomplished what some might consider a daunting task, and yet all he could find himself doing was brooding and moping. Time and time again, he had wondered if he should simply try and move on, but the answer was the same every time.

He couldn't.

Xanthos vividly recalled the day in the Thistle Meadow, when he had taken a day to simply lounge about in the warm Birdsong sun. The trip had had no reason other than to provide him a lazy, afternoon outlet, but it had turned into so much more than that. Heartbreak, disbelief, and agony.

Sucking in a deep breath and then roughly letting it out, the Wraith have a hard flick of his tail. A few flies went buzzing away, but the incessant pests were back only seconds later. He stood beneath the shade of great, towering Loblollys, taking refuge from the sun's unending rays. It was no surprise that he was alone in his quiet reverie, for other than Mirage and the quiet, inky stallion he'd met only days ago, none had bothered to approach him. Xanthos might have attempted to break the tension between himself and the rest of the herd, but he would wait until other matters were settled first.

It was the sound of laughter that pulled Xanthos from his thoughts, snapping his ears to attention and his eyes open, slitted pupils shrinking against the sudden light that flooded into them. Had he been imagining it? He'd not made out any of the words, but the tone in which spoke them... They sounded sickeningly familiar. With curiousity, the grullo began to move from his spot, black tipped ears twitching for the sounds of more voices, or movement.

Little than a minute had passed before he found himself nearing the small stream that passed through the Edge. Xanthos was prepared to meet the gaze of his Weyrleader and her faithful companion, Akaith, or even the scrutinizing glare of Sage. However, what his eyes did fall upon was something, someone, entirely unexpected. Romani, and the striped cub that had been in the Thistle not so long ago.

For a moment, all that Xanthos could do was stare, wondering if this all might be a sick dream that he would wake from any second now. But when it didn't happen, he found his breath again, and found his feet moving closer to the mare's palomino form. "R-... Romani?" The word was strangled, as if fearing another bout of rejection and pain. But he had told Romani that should she remember all within two weeks, to come to the Edge, and seek him out.

He was scared to speak more, afraid that her golden form would begin to crumble and decay like dust, blowing away in the wind. But somehow, somewhere deep within himself, he found the will to do it anyways. "Is it really you, Romani?" He asked, coming to a stop and stretching his muzzle out towards her, a tender, timid action, "Do... Do you remember me?"

BEFORE I DIE

Credits

Romani

At her admittance, Kasai looked back up at the Haflinger mare, curiosity shining in both her blue eyes and flitting through their bond, causing the mare to chuckle. Of course, the young tigress could only understand the love that she felt for Romani… Not the love that two lovers could experience. Letting out a small, timid breath, the Foothills warrior lowered her head and pressed her velvety muzzle against Kasai’s silken cheek, nuzzling it fondly. “I know, sweet… I know.” Her words were softly murmured, an undertone of sadness leaking from every syllable. Oh, what would Xanthos think…?

It seemed, however, that she wouldn’t have to wait long to find out. Hearing the soft footfalls of an approaching figure, Romani’s head snapped to attention, and at her side the ridge along young Kasai’s spine bristled. A warning growl left the cub’s lips, but the palomino mentally shushed her. Who would show themselves? With wide eyes, slightly tipped back ears, and nostrils flaring to take in the scents of the forest around them, the warrior waited with baited breath.

And then, a voice. His voice. ’R-… Romani?’ Oh. Gods. Xanthos!

He slunk through the trees, looking the epitome of anguish and dejection… And yet, there was hope shining in his beautiful golden eyes. Hope that she remembered him, she was sure… And she did. For a few moments all Romani could do was stare at his feature, taking in everything that she could now remember. Instead of the grullo unicorn looking foreign to her and a stranger, her azure eyes roamed over every familiar feature, every mark and muscle that she loved. And it was hers, if he still wanted her.

“Xanthos,” his name came out of her mouth on the caress of a whisper, her voice choked with abrupt emotion, “Xan, I…” Allowing her head to drop, she shook her head, forelock swaying in a slightly melancholic way. The rush of emotions that surged through her breast caused the mare to lose her capabilities of speech, her mind deserting her of words she could possibly say. What could she say, that would make this all aright? No doubt, for Xanthos, it had been one horrifying nightmare…

Lifting her head, hooded blue eyes brimming with tears, the mare spoke. “Oh, Xanthos… Yes. Yes, it’s me, and I remember you.” Romani watched as he dared to approach her, and when he stretched his handsome muzzle out towards her, hesitance plain with every twitch of his muscles, she stretched out her neck a well, brushing her dark lips against his. Holding it there, she let out a breath, breathing into his nostrils and swallowed his familiar, loving scent. Her mind associated it with safety, and warmth, and devotion… And love.

“I… Xanthos, I’m so, so sorry.” The words that she couldn’t find merely moments ago came tumbling out of her mouth and she pulled back only slightly, gazing into his slitted pupils adoringly, “I never meant to hurt you, or forget you, or forget anyone. It’s such a complicated tale, and I fear that you’ll never forgive me, for the pain and torture I’m sure you’ve gone through, simply because I was a fool… But now I remember everything. I remember you, and I remember that I...” Trailing off, Romani felt her heart rate speed up uncertainly, fear ever so steadily creeping into her misty azure eyes. Could she say it? Yes… Yes she could, for Xanthos deserved no less. “I love you, too.”

[ooc: Xan/Rome looooove! <3 <3 :DDD]

Xanthos Posts: 99
Outcast
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 16hh :: 9 Buff: NOVICE
Azel :: King Cheetah :: Quantum Leap Adoptable

I WILL LIVE FOR YOU

There was no doubt that every step closer he took closer to Romani, the feeling of fear consumed him more and more. Would she flinch away from him, then turn and run away? Would her ears flick flat against her head and demand that he back off, or would she try and attack him, much like she'd almost done back in the meadow? All this and more plagued his head in a matter of seconds, until he heard the golden beauty utter his name, and more importantly, proclaim that she did, indeed, remember him.

It felt as though a thousand pounds were suddenly lifted from off of his shoulders, and immediately, anything but simplistic joy vanished from the grullo. He wanted scream it to the world, laugh in the face of the Gods, for something had finally gone his way this time. He could hardly believe it, but as Romani extended her muzzle to his own and breathed her breath unto him, it was all that he could focus on. It was really, truly her, and not some crazy illusion of his mind that would skitter away like sand right before his very eyes.

"Shh," the stallion came up, his own voice choking with the strain of holding his emotions back, "I know you wouldn't do something on purpose, Romani. I am just glad that you're back, and that you can remember me. I forgive you, a thousand times if I must." At that, the grullo withdrew his muzzle, albeit hesitantly, unwilling to bring any sort of distance between them just yet. Taking a deep breath, Xanthos met those vividly familiar blue eyes of Romani's, his own goldens devoid of the great sadness he'd felt only moments ago. He gave a shake of his head. "Don't explain now, please, Rome..." There was more that he wanted to say, to assure her that all was well, but what she said next took him by pure surprise.

She loved him, too.

For a moment, all that he could do was stare in disbelief, before he realized just what he was doing. His heart had seemed to skip a beat, and his breath hitched in his throat, before a positively gleeful expression overtook him. "Really?" He spoke up, a question that wasn't really meant to be answered. A second later, Xanthos found himself almost dancing in place, and unable to help himself, he threw his head into the air in pure joy, his front hooves leaving the ground for but a brief moment. When all fours were upon the ground again, he stepped forward, mindful of the young tigress as he moved, and dropped his neck to press his muzzle into Romani's thick neck. He never wanted this moment to end.

Sucking in a deep breath, the grullo somehow found it in himself to speak again, pressing down the endless sea of emotions he felt to speak clearly. "You don't know how happy it makes me to hear you say that, Romani," he said, and finally took a step back so that he could gaze into her azure pools once more. "I was afraid I had lost you forever."

BEFORE I DIE

Credits

Romani

She watched, with slightly surprise, as Xanthos absorbed her words. He seemed frozen for a few moments, as if he was unsure he had heard her correctly, and then as his mind seemed to wrap around the four words that had left her dark lips only moments before, a positively joyous expression crossed his previously puzzled face. The smile that broke out upon his lips caused an equally infectious one to cross hers, and as he began to jitter and move about, she laughed. It was a heartfelt and freeing laugh, an expression of joy and love and adoration. Everything that she wanted to portray, for Xanthos to know it was all for him.

The grullo’s front hooves left the ground for only a moment, his elegant head snapping back high into the air at a height Romani herself couldn’t even hope to achieve, but that didn’t matter. Nothing mattered now, except that they were together. Nothing could tear them apart now; not memory loss, not racist unicorns, nothing. When Xanthos pressed his muzzle to the soft tendons of her neck, the mare reached out slightly, always mindful of his horn and smiled. She lipped at his shoulder in an affectionate display before he could pull away, and when they were facing each other again, she took a few moments to simply stare deeply into his eyes.

Oh, Romani was smitten. There were no doubts about that… The Haflinger knew she was beyond in love with Xanthos, but there weren’t simply enough words in any language to explain how she felt. Instead of trying to explain it, she decided, she could show it, somehow…

Chuckling softly, the palomino nodded her head. “You couldn’t be rid of me, even if you tried,” she said, a teasing tone entering her soft voice, “I won’t be going anywhere, love. You’ll have me until the end of our days.” The endearment fell so freely from her lips, as if it had been there all along. The title was for Xanthos and Xanthos only, and no one could take that away.

Watching the exchange only a few paces away, young Kasai’s blue eyes remained locked on the pair, still completely baffled as to what she was witnessing. Her bonded, her Romani, was making lovey-eyes at a stallion who the cub could only briefly remember meeting in the Thistle Meadow. Was this the unicorn that had scared her? Lifting her head, the tigress sniffed the air a few times, trying to remember his scent. Yes, it was him… Was this Romani’s love, then? Sending a rolling wave of curiosity, albeit still slightly fearful, Kasai directed her gaze to the Haflinger, who looked back to her companion.

“Oh…” Romani murmured, her expression puzzled for a moment as she tried to make sense of the emotions wafting off of her companion before another brilliant smile blossomed upon her face, “Yes, sweet, this is him. This is Xanthos.” Looking back to the grullo stallion, Romani’s head tilted slightly as she motioned towards the white and black ball of fluff. “Xanthos… I would like you to meet Kasai, my bonded. She really is quite sweet.” The cub merely shook her head, whiskers twitching, and eyed Xanthos curiously once more.

There seemed to be no bad intentions coming from the sand-colored unicorn, and so the young tigress took a small, tentative step forwards. Her pink nose was raised up, nostrils moving slightly as she intook his scent. With a curious tilt of her head, Kasai let out a warm purr, a far contrast to the previous hostile display she had shown the grullo. The cub refrained from venturing far from Romani’s side, but her tail swayed slightly in a way that showed she was no longer afraid. If Romani trusted this male, then so could she.

Redirecting her gazes back to Xanthos, Romani’s smile remained, her azure eyes still filled with that loving warmth. “So… What do we do now, Xan? I mean, you live here, in the Edge… I’m so happy for you, but… Will your herd have a problem? With me? With us?” They had already been through so much to be together, fought Gods and mortals alike. Would Xanthos’ herd mind if a mare of the Foothills came about to see her lover? And vice versa? Would Jackal allow it? There were so many questions that needed to be answered, so many ‘ifs’ and ‘buts’, yet… They would prevail.

Mirage the DragonHeart Posts: 414
Deceased atk: 5.5 | def: 9 | dam: 6
Mare :: Equine :: 15.3 :: Eighteen HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Akaith :: Royal Golden Dragon :: Fire Breath Whit
larfsalot.deviantart.com

The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love, be loved in return.

It was an immortal phrase, passed down through the centuries, in writings, whispered in a lover's svelte ear, shouted proudly across plains, etched in stone, bestowed upon the mortals of the realm by the Gods - the ability to adore, to treasure, to love another.

The Worlds Edge seemed to hum with that love today. A shadow walked the lands, her steps gentle, subtle; curious. Her own bodice hummed with the satisfaction of knowing that she was loved, and not just by one other, but by many, many who would call her their leader, their sister, their friend, their mate. Vikram generated stirrings within her no others could inspire, but that didn't mean her love was reserved only for him.

She was born into darkness, into a land of eternal moonlight - Mirage's first love was the Moon, and then, her family. Akaith stole her soul soon after, covering her in a glittering, golden blanket of warmth, adoration, trust, giving her company where others would disappear, unable to keep up with the little shadow's wandering ways.

Vikram had unleashed a carnal desire within her, an urge to listen to the biological cravings her body tormented her with every ripened season. There was love there, a love so fitting she did not know why it had taken most of her life to find that missing piece of her puzzle - and yet, had it happened any other way, it simply would not have been so.

A soft, playful laughter touched the breeze, a shimmering apparition danced along the edges of sight of the two who stood within her home. The sweet, flowery scent of the WeyrLeader permeated the scene, muffled footfalls of one who knew every inch of the land she danced upon, who knew where she could pass by almost completely undetected. Then, suddenly, there was silence, and it was deafening.

A black mare stood to the left of the couple.

And she was smiling.

"Love is something we celebrate, not punish." Kind words dripped from her maw, accented tones presenting them with warmth and honesty. "I am Mirage." With a delicate, purposeful motion she curved her nape, so that her chin would bump against the plump pectoral muscles of her chest, a greeting to the little palomino that so obviously held the heart of her once-captor.

With her curiosity silently filling the space of time between her last words and whoever spoke next; the little shadow patiently waited.