the Rift

[JUDGED] See it rise [Training spar, Boom]
Ascended Helovian

Midas the Gallant Posts: 1,164
Deceased
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 14.3 hh :: Immortal :: Soul is 7 (FF) Buff: HUNTER
Fina :: Common Zephyr :: Phoenix & Wakiya & Neve :: Common Zephyr :: Arctic Angel
I foolishly guessed that my speed would at least match a woman twice my age. How silly of me. Her swift movements and technique were mastered long ago; whereas I was used to handling foes upon the ground, she seemed to embrace our birthright—caressing it like a mother did her child. This time it because startlingly obvious that I was the greenhorn student and she, my firm teacher. My lips merely brush across her fur, barely clasping skin as she pulls up and away with agility that leaves my mouth hanging open for a brief moment of total shock. Teeth slap together, frustrated I thrust hard to rise higher in the sky—starting to take on the talent of following graceful adult falcon, while trying to overcome the fact I was a fledgling.

Luckily I was a ‘learn by action’ sort of creature, and instead of frantically twisting my mug left and right to see where she was coming. I tried to use this little lapse to remember how she reacted a moment ago—her senses flawlessly separated my movements from the rustling sounds of wind and other distractions. She had known of my strike and its landing before I had even fully made the attempt. Keeping level I cooled my mind of worry that failure would be my threshold today, instead I turned ears toward where my Sultana had flown. If I couldn’t outfly her, then perhaps I could learn from the mistakes and catch her off guard.

Every hair along my body started standing straight up as I attempt to quickly and efficiently focus on her location. This of course is much easier said than done. Listening for another’s wing beats and then focusing hard enough to pinpoint (guess) their location wasn’t something someone could learn overnight. Of course as a Pegasus we had an inborn sense that seemed to help, an instinct persay of where other birds where in the sky—this kept us from flying into each other during a group take off or when we flew in a flock larger than two.

But it was harder to use this to any amount of advantage when my heart was pumping fast and panic was starting to settle in. I couldn’t see her up here, as I could on the ground. A ruffle of feathers, a change in the air flow and just like that there she was. Sliding into position above me, taking the stance I had tried to obtain and likely wouldn’t be able to avoid unless I did something rather fast. Because we are so close I can feel her now, sense her position in the sky. All of this came too late, I felt the harsh punch of her shoes across my shoulders, just above where wings conjoined with flesh. The sudden slap hurts and would later bruise; but I couldn’t dwell on that now.

Before her mouth can come in contact with my flesh; a brilliant idea comes on, an epiphany of sorts. Like a switch that doesn’t take questions I pull my feathered appendages up and back pedal hard; trying to halt my frame from movement with hopes that she would dart over and give us some space. Perhaps the sudden shift would come as a surprise; maybe her body would slow enough for an attack when she tried to glance back (if she tried to glance back). Igniting forward, I can’t help but wince as the pain from her last little beating sets my teeth on edge. My next few moments are spent trying follow her movements and gain altitude for an attempt to upset the air on the underside of her wings.

Image Credits
[Image: 5388c9b80fe59]

Messages In This Thread
See it rise [Training spar, Boom] - by Midas - 02-07-2013, 10:42 PM
RE: See it rise [Training spar, Boom] - by Kri - 02-12-2013, 02:10 PM
RE: See it rise [Training spar, Boom] - by Midas - 02-16-2013, 12:05 PM
RE: See it rise [Training spar, Boom] - by Kri - 03-11-2013, 07:35 PM
RE: See it rise [Training spar, Boom] - by Midas - 03-23-2013, 06:05 PM
RE: See it rise [Training spar, Boom] - by Boom Boom - 04-11-2013, 12:51 PM
RE: See it rise [Training spar, Boom] - by Kri - 04-20-2013, 02:20 PM
RE: See it rise [Training spar, Boom] - by Midas - 05-14-2013, 10:37 AM
RE: See it rise [Training spar, Boom] - by Kri - 06-07-2013, 06:35 PM