the Rift

doubtful is the follower [aswane|open]

Aylin Posts: 89
Hidden Account
Mare :: Unicorn :: 16.0 :: 3
ali
The heat of this place is terrible and reminds me of my first summer in Helovia, when the Sun God was drunk on power and tried to set fire to ever living thing he could. Cyrus would love it here, I think. He always had been a follower of the sun and turned a blind eye to the true horror of his ways. In a sense it sickened me that my brother could worship a being so bent on destruction and torment. Sometimes I wondered if he felt the same way about the god that I had chosen to follow? The Moon Goddess, Mother of Darkness. Was the darkness not connected in many ways to evil? Would he see my desire to please her and think of me as an evil being?

I continued to worry over matters that probably mattered very little in grand scheme of things, but how could I not worry over what my sibling thought of me? My cloven hooves make crunching noises as I step on the dried ground. Every now and again a brilliantly colored stone goes skittering across the ground as my toe catches it and sends it flying. I must admit that this place, despite the heat, does have a certain beauty and maybe even a charm. I think it's the gemstones that make it seem beautiful, personally. There's nothing much else that I like.

As I get nearer to the very heart of the place I call home, the heat goes from uncomfortable to almost overwhelming in an instant. The sky is no longer dark and I cannot see the stars or the moon over the fierce glow of the fire that churns in Helovia's Heart. My movement comes to an end and I stand staring at the gaping hole. It is now that loneliness settles in my heart and leaves me close to tears. I miss Tallis more than anything. Several seasons ago he would have been here with me, settled on my back and keeping watch over me. Now he's away with Mother and I'm alone with no one but myself to watch over me. It's the part of growing up that I dislike the most.

aylin
healing hands of love like the stars shiny shiny from above

Aswane Posts: 12
Hidden Account
Filly :: Equine :: 15.1 hands :: Yearling
Tay
Aswane
find your heart and soul in the thoughts you own

All she knows sizzles and whines under a hot breath of smoke. The flowerchild finds herself in a phase that she feels will not pass. Sadness flew headlong into her as she was quickly veiled by the burning embers of wheat-like grass. Everything was hot. Sweat fell away in tiny drops, carrying white ash and a shed of bay hairs. In this instant, the sweat signifies her soul, pouring away, evaporating into the heat, raising back the heavens of which they were born.

Where do I go? Her brain cries this question, but it is lost in the hiss of black and red.

She asks herself this, yet keeps forward, shying at the explosions of firelight and the crack of devoured grasses. She keeps walking steadily in the haphazardness of wildfire. Tears boil out of her eyes and she runs, terrified, lost, confused. Everything at this moment is an emotional frenzy. She feels stripped bare to the gawking flames, mute laughter rises out of them. The filly darts back and forth trying to find a way to pass through. She rears up on weak back legs, green eye glimmering terror over the strands of rough grass. Around her is fire. With each dance of the flames, the filly recoils a haunch, utterly horrified, untouched by the rare beauty in this land. Aswane tosses herself about like a lone bird in a hurricane.

Where do I go?

But there she sees the dance of something innocent and white. It is someone. The filly's legs move faster than she can keep up with and she crashes into Aylin, howling sobs. She presses her face into her chest and cries.

The girl cries like she's never cried before, letting all of that chaos boil over because now she is finally found. She is a lost pup in a world of rage and fire, and she's seen the worst of it. "Aylin," she says at last, words flooded with sob. "you came. You finally came." the girl erupts like the fire around her, so relieved and euphoric to see her sister again.

image by Dingo

Hidden Account
ali

Fright and panic knots in my chest when I notice that the grass I left behind is rustling and swaying in a way that I know is not simply the wind. Even so, there is no wind that I can feel. There is nothing that cuts through the intense heat of the heart and soothes my hot flesh. Nothing that lifts my pale mane from my neck and offers any relief. So what is it that's moving through the grass? If Tallis were here he would take to the air to see for himself and eliminate whatever threat it might be. But I am alone with only myself to protect me.

So what is it? A wolf? Lion? Bear? It could be any number of things that has a taste for meat. Helovia is home to so many different predators. It's frightening to think about, and I'd rather not, but it's more foolish and dangerous to play the fool and be unprepared.

I stumble back a few steps when it is an young equine that darts from the grass into my direction. I watch her only for a split second before my eyes return to the place she had run from, expecting some meat eating, blood crazed predator to be on her heels. I grunt and stumble back again when she slams into my chest and only realize who she is when I hear my name from her lips.

"Aylin. You came. You finally came." She says as I look down, baffled. "Aswane?" There is no possible way that this can be Aswane. I remember she stayed here in Helovia, but she was so small when I left her with Cyrus. "Are you here alone? Where's Cyrus?"

aylin

Aswane Posts: 12
Hidden Account
Filly :: Equine :: 15.1 hands :: Yearling
Tay
Aswane
find your heart and soul in the thoughts you own
       My body quivers through hot shakes as I feel the cold breath of the wicked stallion playing sordidly with the young strands of my tail. I remember his eyes, smothered with misdemeanor under an unblinking pair of shadowed lids. They hid lies and remorse, but they were open. Wide open, staring with eyes that saw much more than what was reality. I furled closer to my sister, feeling the heat of her own nape traveling over to me. But it was a tenderness that I felt, a security even that traveled over to my heart and placed a cage around those ugly eyes. Aylin was all I had, all I could ever run to in a world like this. At first I wasn’t so scared, but now, now that I knew these hideous creatures lurked in the cool shadows of ancient trees, I was rightfully in my place.

Her voice was warm on my back as I released my tension through bitter tears. I could feel each letter, each vowel, as a seed to grow new emotions. As those seeds watered down by the flooding of my eyes, I listened to the surprise and concern in her voice, finding solace in just that one, very brief moment.

She made me think of Cyrus again, and my mind took off on a shivering travel where my imagination explored the blurry memories of the angry Sunchild who wore teal eyes that should have been gold. I don’t even remember what he said to me after Aylin left, but I do remember the frozen teal waves of his eyes that needed to melt into a summer brook. The boy was furrowed with burden, his face etched with lines pointing to both ignorance and question. He wanted something else, he needed some explanation. How did he know how to care for me? How did he know what to do with a small child? So I can’t say I blame him for leaving. I’m not sure what I would have done.

Cyrus spent three moons before leaving in the glimpse of dawn.

“Aylin, I missed you,” I say, nuzzling more into her nighttime chest hoping some of the stinging tears would dry away in the heat of our bodies. “Cyrus was gone when I woke a while ago. I’ve been looking for you ever since, sister.” I drew aback while struggling to gather composure, both blind and seeing eyes found her face. I draw a smile over my snipped lips.

My thoughts wandered off, traveling over the possible endless kingdom of stars that the Moonchild could have visited in her absence. I imagined that the Moon Goddess called her presence, whisking her away on an important adventure to save the constellations. I couldn’t think of anyone else to watch me while she’d be gone. It was wise of her to trust her sibling with the small task of keeping up with me, but I knew something deep inside his rusty heart needed oil more than all the other parts.

“Where did you go, where did Cyrus go,” my voice was softly spoken against the hiss of the Heart’s core.

“Where did everyone go?”

I felt left behind.

image by Dingo

Hidden Account
ali

It breaks my heart, the way my young sister's body shakes and trembles as she pushes herself against my chest. Instinctively my head drops and I drape my neck across her and pull her more tightly against my darker body. "I'm sorry, Aswane." I murmur to her, my eyes closing as I embrace my sister. As strange as it is I already feel a bond much stronger than the one I share with Cyrus. I lift my head and begin to nibble gently at my sister's mane. "I'm sorry I left." I say to her, my heart cracking farther when I realize that I'd hurt more than just Mirage when I'd left Helovia.w

My ears tilt forward when Aswane's sweet voice comes once more, but what she says is not so sweet. I feel anger toward my brother that he abandoned our young sister. I had left her in his care while I was away with our parents and other young sister trying to find a cure for her physical ails. The fact that he could be so irresponsible and selfish was infuriating and I wished more than anything that I knew where he was so I could take a chunk out of his hide for leaving her alone.

"Worry not, Aswane." I say instead as I begin to run my muzzle along her smaller body. "I'm here again and I'm not going anywhere. I promise." Unlike my brother I was not one to break promises if I could help it. More questions flow from my sister's lips even after I promise her that I won't leave her again. How was I to tell her that mother and father weren't coming back? She's still so young and she wouldn't understand that they had to live in a place that was safer for poor Maleena. She was still so small because she'd been so sick when she was born.

"I went to check on mother and father and Maleena." I saw to Aswane as I hug her to my body once again. "I don't know where Cyrus is, but don't worry about him. He is grown enough to take care of himself." I hope my voice doesn't sound as bitter as I feel about him leaving Aswane. What if something horrible had happened to her because he'd left her? I know I would never forgive myself, but would he even care? "I won't leave you alone again, I promise." I say again.

aylin