the Rift

Distraction at its Best

Ailith Posts: 47
Deceased
Mare :: Equine :: 15.0 HH :: 8
Adoptable

No matter what we breed, we are still made of greed
This is my kindom come, this is my kindom come

Jeweled eyes took refuge amongst the greenery that flourished around her. Her step was light, elegant, and slow. She was in no hurry to move through the motions of life and yet her eyes held certain restlessness in them that would suggest determination. It was in the way she held her shoulders high and tight, in the way that her neck was bent so slightly toward the sun. Dark threads fell across her face and shaded her slender nose in shadow. The sun above kissed her hide with heated desire and she moved below him, for him. Like a coquette enticing her need and longing in such a way that it was hard to look away. She danced. It was a dance that lifted her feet slowly and with practiced delight; she was vision for most unknowing and she enjoyed her powerful effects.

The grasses of the forest were limp beneath her, falling prey to her grace and loveliness. Her skin was heated with excited fervor. She was finally free of the Threshold, her soul flying from its dim containment and soaring arrogantly into the clouds above. She found herself a royalty that many had not seen before. Perhaps it was the confidence in which she wore on her sleeve or the heart in which she locked away in the pit of her breast. The dry ground began to crunch beneath her toes as she neared the Foothills. Her intentions were unclear to those other than herself and she had no real reason to bear mind to them until she felt the time right. She smiled, her lips parting with some effort with the gesture.

Like a rarity not seen before, she tossed her small face into the breeze, gulping in the fresh air that roamed through the hills. She sought acceptance, despite her strange aversion to those who took flight or wore the bone upon their brow. But she, she was a great actress and she felt that she would have no trouble averting her gaze from such atrocity. Would she ever learn to forgive them their faults?

Time and again she felt indifferent, cold, and ill from gleaning in her superiority. She did not wish continue her life inside the ghost of expectation. She had far more respect for a good heart to hold their differences against them. However, if her favor was not earned, she would not feel it so necessary to pay those fools any real mind. At that, she thought of her visit to the Foothills. She had heard of equality, but that had been back when Archibald still reigned alongside Evers and Svetlana. Would equality still be true now?

Was equality even something that she sought anymore? She felt so…strange accepting difference when her heart was so clearly wrought in the other direction. She threw her head once more, an indication of her spirit, her arousal for life. She was a seductive creature placed into the wrong hands and her threat was evident in the way her hips swayed from side to side, her gait fluid and naturally irresistible. Would she find the solace she looked for here? Or would she move on- one to atmosphere that she would find acceptable? Perhaps she would be better off as a reject herself, claiming no name as important other than her own.

She waited along the borders now, her hips resting back upon her hind legs. They were such slender limbs, made more for the sport of fashion than anything else. A cool gaze was cast out along the rolling dunes and she smiled once more, collectively gathering herself as she awaited requested company.

Argetlam Posts: 51
Up For Adoption
Stallion :: Equine :: 17.3 :: 7
Adoptable

Argetlam was eating, nibbling at the stalks of grass green and tall, cutting them down to the soft earth. His head and neck would sway in a half-circle radius, and then he would pause, head lift, ears flick around, and take a step forward, and repeat the process of grazing again. Even if he was a gentle creature of warmth and metal-crafting, Argetlam nevertheless was a creature of prey, even in a horse-dominated land. It would just be simply silly to ignore the wind that tells stories of predators, or to be oblivious to your surroundings. Hence his head-lifting and occasional sniffing as the great gray draft, nearing eighteen hands, drifts towards the border of the verdant green foothills.

The shade is cool on his silver back, his dapples standing out like pale leaves fallen upon his broad hindquarters and shoulders; his mane, coarse and dusty, lies in tangles across the smooth, uninterrupted muscle of his neck, only held in check by the silver barrettes clasping great chunks of the flaxen hair. On occasion one of the stallion's gray or tan hooves hit a rock on the compacted soil; and his silver clasps flash in the seeping light of the sun. Despite the quiet clinking of his horseshoes hitting stone, or the gentle huff of his breath, the forest is surprisingly quiet. Birds are a bit of a commodity here, it sometimes feels. The forest is a silent place, the trees grand guardians and the mountains a shield.

Argetlam loves the Foothills in such a huge, monstrous way it is near-unbearable to think of leaving it; it is home, a peaceful home that has no need for warriors. Unicorns and equines lay in equality here- he has not found any pegasi, and even despite the acceptance of all, it seems horses are the predominant of the green land near the mountains tall. Nadira is the only mare he has met with a horn upon her brow; extend that to all horses, in fact. Argetlam wonders if other horses in the Foothills look so- he has not seen another originating from here. Yet she had said she had been recruited by Boltar. Was Boltar, maybe, a crafter as well? Perhaps he specializes in bolts of sorts.

One of his periodic checks or another, he scents a mare. An outcast, with the scent of wilderness about her, and feeling it is his duty, Argetlam moves, silver horseshoes clinking on the stone, towards the origin. It takes a little longer than he expected, to be honest, but he arrives soon enough. "May I help you?" Another greeting might have been more suitable, but that is what comes from his mouth, and so hopefully it will do.

Deceased
Adoptable

Her gaze lifts momentarily, cooled in such a way that it might suggest indifference but she is not as apathetic as she appears. She smiles at his approach, openly inviting him despite her ravenous gaze. He is much larger than she which would not be such a surprise given her small stature but it would appear that her personality outshines his own. Her exaggerated movement does little to entice him and as he grows closer she tilts her small face toward his words. He is gentle and patient with her sudden interruption and she quietly thanks him for the courtesy before making an approach of her own. She does not intend to crowd him but instead assumes a place before him. Looking up into those eyes of amber she realizes that she quite envies his perseverance. However, this jealousy does not move her to words.

For a while she merely stares, amethyst gaze offering nothing but quiet misery. When she feels satisfied with the silence she looks away, turning that brilliant gaze towards the dunes behind him. “I seek attendance with someone of note as I wish to join these ranks.” Her words are much harsher than expected but it is not out of malignance, but more so an acquired habit. Even the way that she affixes her eyes to the surrounding swells of greenery would suggest contempt, but alas, she is just hardened.

Betwixt her lips, a smooth smile starts to form bearing yellowed teeth rotten from grazing. It would be rather fortunate to say that she was the only one who suffered from the stains of the victual, but her fate is shared among all those whose lips would find feast from the emerald stalks. Tender moments tick by and she wonders how he will respond. Would this adventure turn to chaos in a matter of seconds?

Up For Adoption
Adoptable

The mare stalks closer to him. Warrior, his mind whispers, and he finds himself stilling slightly in despair, maybe even 'shrinking' in presence of the vixen. For vixen she is, her face sculpted into a delicate dish-like creation, eyes huge and sparkling lavender, or magenta, or some sort of violet and indigo that shines like the stars; her lashes, black and bold, are long, sharp, against the molten gold that ripples down her tawny-tan coat. The only thing that disrupts the image of perfection, from the faded barring on her legs to the slim stripe down her back, to the dark ebony mane wild and knotted and tangled, is the snip upon her nose, a pale pink.

It takes a great effort to hold his limbs still as her eyes meet his, her head seemingly tilted just so that her throatlatch is long and smooth; her eyes are enchanting, and her movements elegant and exaggerated in a passionate way, so unlike Argetlam's lumbering. When the mare speaks, her voice is unerring harsh and hard, a cruel beauty to it; and it pours water over his head. The stallion does not shiver, as his spine tingles despite the sunlight warm through the spacious trails between the tall trees.

He would have assumed that she was asking to join the herd, but the voice had startled him into a brief moment of... blankness? A moment where he blacked out? Drifted away. For her voice sounded like Isdira's rough, normally uncaring voice. He can almost imagine her sooty charcoal form between the pines, materializing out of the shadow, gruff as ever, head down as she works with the coal, permanently dusted black. "Don't pin your heart where all can see, for someone will take advantage." An echo of her blunt words; and the stallion stirred slightly, coarse flaxen tail flicking away the flies. Flies! They buzzed everywhere, annoying like insects, nipped him and bit him. His head shook firmly, ridding of the black insects crowning the tear duct of his eyes; filthy bugs.

"I cannot give you a title as I am sure you deserve, but I may give you allowance to enter the Windtossed Foothills' ranks, if you so desire...?" He lets his quiet voice fade momentarily, the drone of the bugs between them, hoping she would offer her name, and then marches on in his soft, deep tone. "If you are to become my herdmate, I think it only fitting to know my name. I am Argetlam." The deep gray dapple fixes a slightly worn, tentative smile on his face.

Deceased
Adoptable

Her lips quivered, betraying the need to say more but she resisted just as well. She watched as he trembled beneath her weight even if it was only figuratively so. A slow smiled snaked its way across her charred lips and she nodded toward his shoulder, as vague a gesture as any. The dappling there intrigued her and a tentative step was taken toward him, her lips pushed forward as to indicate her intent. However, she only grew close enough for him to feel the hot breath of her exhalation upon coated flesh before she was moved to explanation. “I longed to be so crudely colored at one time.” Again her words were cheap, robbing him or any real satisfaction from the backward compliment. Moments later she was retreating, arranging her slender neck into a mirrored “U”.

She was calm beneath his scrutiny only twitching away the flies that had corrupted her swollen sides with irritation. Her flesh shifted over her bones and the action looked almost orgasmic, such that being rid of the pests brought her great delight. She swung her face upward now towards the heavens, inviting him to view her world above. Again she persisted with silence, instead busying herself with the sensations of darkened treads draping along her throatlatch. It was curious thing to feel so immensely, so perfectly in tune with the wonders of emotion as it rolled through her chest, swelling and expelling.

Argetlam- how I fancy the sound as it rolls off my tongue.” She smiles, coy and perhaps a bit childish. “I am Ailith.” She ponders the syllables for a time and then averts her gaze once more into the sea of tall grass. She is thoughtful and perhaps a bit unpredictable and she wonders what this Argetlam thinks of her nature, as cool and collected as she is. She takes the time to bend her focused eyes to the foliage below and pulls a bit of shrubbery into her dry mouth to chew idly. Whatever awaited her in the Foothills, she was unsure, but she felt that she had taken the right path in coming here and while acceptance was sweet, unity was much more worth its weight in gold.

Up For Adoption
Adoptable

The mare's lips seem to shiver in the urge to release a torrent of words, and yet the mare built so smoothly and seamlessly holds them inwards as she comes closer to him. Overpowering Argetlam comes the scent of worn dirt and earth, winds and somewhere far-off, the eau de outcast; and he is momentarily reminded of his own time of loss and worn traveling. Isdira hadn't come to say goodbye to him. The night before he fled, moving as swiftly as he could, had been a particularly bad night. "Argetlam, craft items to fight! It's for your family!" Arya, his mother, had begged of him, her gray coat flashing in the sunlight, gems assorted in her mind sparkling. Gifts from him, most of them had been. On the other hand, Ignasia, Father, had taken a harder approach, surly as ever. "Fight, boy, that's what the Dras-Leona do." Gruff, chiding, hard.

Her breath is hot on his check, warm and moist, sends him backing away swiftly, forgetting his solemn, unheard promise to remain steady in spite of her liquid eyes and golden coat, her cool, almost frosty manner. Does she mean that he is... poorly colored? Is it a compliment or an insult? Maybe both. Did she turn bitter because of not being colored gray? He liked being gray. It was a nice, solid color, a down-to-metal color. It looked as if she was a bender of sunlight, of golden rays, if she was a manipulator, but he had never heard of a sun-bender. Was it even possible? Argetlam's thoughts slowly lose cohesion, rambling and scrambling, until he finds himself circulating back to where he began. Was it a compliment or insult? Or rather, did it warrant a 'thank you'?

Argetlam decided it would be best to simply incline his great stone-like head and keep any thanks inside his mind.

As her coat quivers, shaking off the flies, she glows with an ethereal beauty, the sun glittering on her fine coat, the shadows deep around her in sharp contrast, just as he too is silhouetted by the sun filtering through the pines. It gives her an almost liquid appearance. Argetlam, as ever, looks as if chiseled from stone and rock, carefully carved and cut, the only color quite so different from the gray his eyes. Amber eyes, soft and warm. Then the silence is interrupted by her silky tones, and he finds himself needing to give her response. "It is good to meet you, Ailith. Where do you hail from?" Argetlam answers in turn, leaving her first comment alone and without thanks, although he finds himself a little more relieved. It's quite clearly a compliment as opposed to her first strange... whatever it was.

Deceased
Adoptable

His eyes held secrets far removed and she tipped her chin to try and find explanation in his gaze. Whatever haunted his past was here, clearly in the present. Her lopsided smile held evidence of her knowledge but it was against her morals to speak of it. Each of them had a story and each story their own and Ailith could respect that… for a time. She moved, relaxing onto her haunches almost gracefully. Each action was solid, planned. Perhaps she had considered this meeting far before ever meeting the boy. His presence was rewarding to her in a strange way that she would not contemplate for long. She felt there was no need to bother him according to notions that floated haphazardly through her thoughts. After all, there was no reason he needed to share what was on his mind, she was, after all a mere outcast.

He retracted from her as assumed and she smiled once more, certain that her nature was something he feared. From the look in his eyes, his curiosity had forced him into her company but it was also something that now forced him away. Perhaps he felt as if she were too much too fast. Her lids fell slowly to cover those majestic eyes and rose again revealing something like resolution. “I come from nowhere in particular. I’ve followed the hills and waves to Helovia and now I seek belonging.” A tender gaze was cast out beyond him, again picturing the swollen ridges of the Foothills. She wondered who led the establishment, who called the commands when war was upon them. She didn’t ask however, she would merely find out herself when the day ended.

Truthfully she sought reminder of herself. The wildness of her journeys was still fresh upon her lips and the waves from miles past still clung to her ears. She could hear them crashing against the sands before receding back into the depths. She had wandered to the water’s edge at one time, placing a tender foot into the cool foam. Something about it had calmed her and she wondered if Helovia offered such an amenity. Either way, she was here to stay… as long as she would be had.

Up For Adoption
Adoptable

Argetlam is not quite sure if the silences are a good thing; a reprieve from the mare's cool, harsh vocals and slightly mocking way, or a bad thing, impoliteness and a lack of cordiality. His tail, hair stiff and matted into the appearance of coarse straw, flick up to brush his flanks, the quiet whap of his thickly knotted tail interrupting the lazy silence stretching what seems like an eternity between the two of them. Ailith rested herself, relaxing her haunches with her tranquil cat-like grace; the dark stallion might even describe it as predatory grace, he wasn't quite sure he liked the way she moved.

It was... sexually appealing. And he wasn't... a sexual stallion.

Yes, that's how he would describe it, the dapple decided. His resolution was only confirmed by the slow, excruciatingly slow, blink of her long-lashed lids; slowly shutting over violet eyes that sparkled magenta. Or maybe it was the other way around. Her tones still lazy, still easy as ever- but did he imagine the mischievous glint, as if she had picked up on his discomfort, or was he imagining it- and flashed open as she spoke about the wild hills and forests she had come from. Nowhere, in other words.

"I traveled for a good while myself," Argetlam quietly said, and he had quite a bit, trying to settle into a place where all was peaceful and quiet, somewhere accepting of him and his sometimes strange ways. Did she have family? Did she miss somewhere, someplace she used to call home? The crafter did. He missed Isdira's irritable, gruff ways, Ignasia's bluntness, and Arya's soft, encouraging words. Regardless of all of their differences, they were family; and he had still abandoned them like a coward. Was it cowardly of him to fly? Hadn't he just... did what was right? Either way, he wouldn't be allowed back there. Not just in a week, or a month, or a year; but never. In a way, he had committed himself to his own exile.

"Let's walk- it may keep the flies away." Argetlam suggested peaceably, and turn hesitantly, before setting his legs forward and continuing his ambling, slightly wavering path between the trees, into the pools of molten sunlight glittering on the green fronds of the forest floor. It was a gentle push towards acceptance; a sweet, innocent act of 'let's get to know each other'. At least, the metal-bender hoped that's what it was.

Deceased
Adoptable

She swayed; her heart pressing eagerly against her breast. There was a fleeting look in his eye, one that reminded her of heartache. However, there was something more, something inside him that made her think of flesh and intimacy. It made her bristle, the way he looked at her now, however brief. He judged her as many had done before him and she did not chastise him for it but instead looked the other way. She was in no position to call herself innocent but he was surely in no position to call her a sinner either. A wild look came to her eyes, brewing coldly despite the warmth of the day. But, she moved past her anger in favor of feigning forgetfulness.

Her mouth parted, attempting to bring word to silence before her thoughts ran away with her but he was pressing forward again, obviously finding something about her nature that he admired. He shared a bit of himself with her and perhaps he provided her with information that would explain her irrelevant connection with him. He understood her wanderer’s heart… or so she pleasantly assumed. She wasn’t moved to respond though because his statement was of little substance. She wished that she had been born a more carefree animal, but alas, she was not. Conversation proved little in way of entertaining her unless she was forced to explanation.

And so they walked, at his suggestion of course. She moved lithely behind him, her footing as soundless as a big cat. She watched as he lumbered before her, drawing breath and expelling it while his sides heaved from the effort. The flies had followed knowingly behind them but she pretended that his suggestion had been helpful, only occasionally slapping her sides with a wild, matted tail. “What is it that drives you Argetlam? If there something here that pushes you to success or is this place another prison for those with lost souls…?

The conversation had turned, steaming coldly from pleasant small talk to incessant prying. She had come to his side now, looking up into eyes of molten amber. She contemplated his response, aware that his answer would be the same as many. Pride me in your knowledge. Convince me to stay. She flicked her tail absently as she relished the coolness of shade upon her back. She guessed his answer would somehow promote the Foothills and relay his self-worth. She had expected as much but there was always room for surprise.

Up For Adoption
Adoptable

Intimately he feels as if by looking at her in a way a man looks at a concubine, he has done something wrong. Did Argetlam imagine the trace of scorn in her eyes before she looked the other way, feminine and slender as ever? He did not think so. Instead, he felt deeply wrong. I didn't intend to look like that, the metal-bender wanted to tell her, and apologize, and offer his condolences for his behavior, but the words dried up on his tongue when he opened his mouth. The gentle peace-keeper did not dream of forced breeding and intimacy, or of having a harem of mares as some might. Mares were equal to stallions, just as the breeds were equal to each other, the stallion was convinced.

The dark stallion, so crudely colored as Ailith has said, moves with long, awkward strides, shifting from side to side, weaving slightly, never quite moving purposefully or acting as if he has a destination. Here and there he pauses for a moment, nostrils flaring, but aside from Ailith's wild-scent he does not detect anything in the warm summer's air. It takes him a while to answer the question she poses him, and he thinks through his answer carefully in that simplistic, easy way he does.

First of all, what is a prison of mindless souls? She said lost. But mindless souls seem to be often the same material as lost, for a lost horse does not know where to go or what goals he, or she, has in this life. "A lost soul is frequently the same as a mindless." Argetlam said slowly, puzzling through the conundrum she had presented him with. Call him whatever you like, but he was not the most intelligent of individuals, or clever. Peaceful, gentle, caring, and open to the world, but he was simple. If he didn't understand something, he left it to others to understand. No confusion. Only focusing on his dreams and goals. A moment or two later he announces abruptly; "This is not a prison, if that's what you mean. You are free to choose whatever path you want, to achieve what you want. We are your family, and we will accept you unless you strive to break us apart, no matter how well or not-well you know us." A pause, and then- "The only horse who can push you somewhere is yourself."

As for his own goal, his own driving force, would Ailith laugh at him? Smirk? She seemed a fox, not a warrior, a sleuth not a fighter, but nevertheless he couldn't drive the feeling she would snicker. Yes, they were, surprisingly enough, seeming to become friends, despite their outlandish differences, but stopping war? Surely anyone would laugh at that. At reluctant last, the metal-bender mutters, his voice soft and words awkward, "My own goal is to invent something that stops war. No more fighting. Not ever." Because war breaks families apart. War separates children from parents. Battles strip us from our morals and wants. Argetlam hopes dearly she won't laugh, turning his head from her to gaze off through the trees, through the golden light and the tall trees. Please don't laugh. It was strange- when had her opinion suddenly meant so much to him? He was always sensitive, but did he really care this much?

Deceased
Adoptable

The soft sweep of the warm summer breeze lifted stray hairs along her nape and the sensation made her shiver. The soft soil of the forest floor sprung up and around her toes as she walked, listening to the eerie quiet of the hills. Everything around her made her think of peace and serenity and the sullen relaxation made her lids pool across her lavender vision. She is calm in his presence and her walls are nearly dissolved by his comforting words. He is not one to impinge upon her thoughts as many had done before and he does not seem to care for her sultry advance which weighs heavy upon her impression of him. She would consider him valued friend because of his open simplicity and ability to see her as more than a lustful prospect. It was something that not many stallions seemed to possess in this world or the next, aside from Argetlam himself.

His words surprise her though, almost as much as his personality. He stood to correct her choice of diction but she simply smiled in recognition and made no attempt to justify her thoughts. “You choose your words well my friend and I only hope that you could find as much in me. You’re conviction is admired.” A tired smile follows shortly after and she continues to keep pace alongside him. Occasionally she steals a bit of leaf from low hanging branches around her and crunches quietly to the symphony of the grey boy’s explanation of ambition.

However, it does nothing to convince her of his passion. War is inevitable; it is something that even the Gods could not avoid. She looks upon him now, cool gaze reflecting something of curiosity as she inhales the fresh air. “War is inglorious, something so seamless and unexplained… but I find it is something that cannot be stopped my sweet friend. But I wish you… luck in your endeavors.” She looks away now, unsure how he would have her. She did not wish to insult him but truth rung freely from her tongue and there was nothing she could do to rein in her nature. It was something as uncontrollable as the wind.

Up For Adoption
Adoptable

Argetlam glances at her, shy as a filly fresh out of the womb, ears tipped into a relaxed position, one swiveled to her and the other moving on occasion, catching the sounds of the world around them; the crunch of leaves as a deer leaps away, tail flashing white in alarm; the steady, constant heartbeat of the metal in the earth, the chirps of the glittering birds. Looking back to his long, rambling sentences, he feels distinctly as if his words were simply a play, but not a fancy puppet-show, but one where the characters look the same. Of course, the metaphor for it is just as... scrambled, he feels. Maybe improper would be a better word.

Much to his relief, Ailith seems to understand it, despite the way the words meander and fiddle and hesitate, and offers him a smile that eases his fretting. The stallion is sensitive, caring, and totally, superbly not confident, perhaps his most predominant downfall; but Argetlam would rather be not-confident with many good traits than being outgoing with many bad ones. As much as that does not make sense... Even more so than usual his tongue seems a little twisted. Argetlam ponders the depth of her words in turn. I only hope that you could find as much in me. Does she put that much value into him? What did he think of her? Well... she was slender and pretty, and golden-coated, but somehow he felt that she wasn't looking for a mere description of her. Neither could he feel that he could offer her judgement until they knew each other better, in the strange relationship blossoming between them. The best course of action, the draft decides, is to let his sincerity show through.

"One can't make a split judgement Ailith. I, too, hope you can see... um... find... a lot in me as well," words scrambled; but at least he felt he got the meaning through. They saunter on for longer, Argetlam proceeding to his fumble-tongue descriptions of the driving force only created by oneself, and he watches her with his open eyes as the golden mare extends her neck to nip at a leaf or two here and there, and then they amble on in companionable silence. No, Argetlam ambled, back swaying, neck long and relaxed, at ease, and Ailith was small (at least beside him) and carried herself in a courteous way he wasn't sure how to describe.

Her eyes seem to grow a shade cooler, and his heart sinks in his broad gray chest as she speaks, frosty and smooth till the very end, where her voice pauses ever so slightly and she wishes him luck. In my endeavors...? What did endeavors mean? Maybe what he was trying to do. That's what it sounded like anyways. Sweet friend. Argetlam blinks a little doubtfully, and looks up at the skies, mumbling a little of indecipherably words. A moment or two later his voice grows stronger, a little more clear, never quite reaching loud or confident, but getting there. "Thank you. I know war will be hard to stop, if it can be... maybe I could slow it down one day. But so many are torn by war, and affected by it, and hurt by it, even the winning side." Regardless of crimes, none should be made to suffer by any but the judgement of the gods.

Deceased
Adoptable

The heat of midday was starting to make her head a bit hazy and she started to relax under its relentless encouragement. Her eyes seemed to swell and narrow into mere slits as tender lids began to fall across her vision. She felt comfortable with him; she was so seemingly at ease with his company that she hardly noticed as she moved into his side to lean her muzzle into his broad neck. “If you do not mind…” Her words were quiet as if she had suddenly lost that glimmering part of herself that exuded confidence and greed. Was she not so similar to him? The soft greenery seemed to slip by them as they made their way through the forest and while the beauty of it was nearly enchanting she took no time to realize it. Instead she used his shoulder as guidance as she pressed into his shoulder.

She knew that she needed no one to care for her and she felt confident in her own abilities but this was different. She had no trouble trusting him, no trouble finding warmth within her cold heart. Had it been his acceptance that brought her so close to his soul? He was surely no broken thing and certainly not lost. She enjoyed using his strength and ease of mind to relax her own thoughts. There was no more running to be had and she knew it. Whatever problems she stood to face now would be here in the Foothills, here by his side.

I find much in you despite the lack of words shared. You have shown me much more in this time than many have been able to share in months. You are selfless and understanding, qualities that I had almost forgotten until today.” She pulled away from the groove between shoulder and nape to look at him now, pausing in their ascent as she did. “You wish to end war which would be something that is not easily accomplished but something that is not self-contained. Had you longed for great wealth and solid position I would have empathized, but you didn’t. You chose to sacrifice glory and fame for honor.

Her eyes grew hard with the passing breeze and something in her seemed to light in the heat of the day. “But my judgments are my own and I hope you understand that.” She looked away briefly now contemplating a low hanging branch at her side as if it were a miraculous work of art. A bystander would have been confused by such a statement but her thoughts seemed to process it well enough. She was free to make judgments of her own and she felt that she didn’t need anyone telling her otherwise. When her eyes swung back around there was a faint reminder of the softened girl still resting inside their depths but it had appeared that she was once again lost to whatever selfish ambitions brewed within her beautiful skull.

She weakened in his presence, forgetting just how long she had relied on her own sense of self and while Argetlam had done nothing but remind her of her own brash verdicts, a pulsing agony to redeem herself came rushing to the forefront. He would be lucky to find understanding in her words but she felt as if they did not need justification and instead she pressed forward. “On a brighter note, I must know who leads the Hills. You’ve yet to mention a name.” Again a brilliant smile parted her charred lips. The boy would be lucky to get away without suffering from Ailith’s emotional whiplash, but there was no teaching an old dog new tricks, especially if they were as self-absorbed as the sandy colored mare before him.

Up For Adoption
Adoptable

Argetlam's eyes widened ever so slightly in surprise as she leaned against his brawny form, and then he relaxed. They were friends, after all, and he felt comfortable beside her, under the heat of the hot sun and after talking about intimate things, things he had never told horses before. It was strange, he reflected, how two could become so close after only twenty minutes of talking. At least, he assumed it had been about twenty minutes, chatting and moving through the forest in idle, meandering ways. His tail flicked up, silver barrette glittering in a flash of sunlight, whisking across her flank as well, a dismal attempt doomed to failure to swat away the flies.

Amicable silence. Birds singing in the heat of Tallsun's day, an occasional flash of a ruby feather or tawny breast, a sapphire wing or black beak as they flitted from tree to tree. Here and there his amber eyes picked up on the flagging tail of a squirrel, sometimes red, sometimes gray, occasionally black, before they scurried about the craggy tree trunks, disappearing. Her heat against his flank, the warmth from her body emitting down to his heart. Argetlam sensed she might have private things to think about, but he also felt that she was comfortable with him, maybe more-so than with any others she had met, an enjoyable fact. He couldn't remember ever actually having a true friend, one he got to really know, in a long time. Isdira, with her snarky comments and crude ways, had teased him about it quite a bit.

The metal-bender felt he needed to give her a gift, a token of his friendship, from the metal surrounding, but it had to be a good gift, a fitting one for the mare. Just as his thoughts began to wander away, she spoke. A long, lengthy couple of sentences, falling just short of a verbal paragraph, with more than just mild praise for him in it, much to his embarrassment. If horses could blush, he would then; in any case, he felt hotter than before, almost as if he might erupt on fire in any moment. Never had he opened up this much, in his quiet mumbling, shambling ways, and never had a horse complimented him this much. Sacrifice. Honor. Much in you. Argetlam dropped his amber eyes as she pulled away to look at him carefully. "Ailith, you don't have to make so much out of it." He muttered shyly after she finished, cheeks burning. Make that whole body, right down to the ends of his dusty mane and dirty fetlocks.

"As for lack of words shared... we'll need to remedy that. Right?" Argetlam smiled inquisitively, butting his head against her left shoulder. Much to his confusion, only moments after she said her judgements were her own. What did she mean by that? I hope you understand that. Argetlam rolled them about in his head, trying to figure it out, examining them carefully, yet he couldn't find decipher them. Giving it up as a lost cause, he continued in companionable silence with Ailith, wondering what else could be brought up. Really he couldn't think of anything to say to her- he hoped she wouldn't be disappointed. She was just... very foreign. Out of here would be a good expression, he thought to himself.

To his evident relief, she picked up on another subject soon. Leader of the herd. Jackal, the King of Thieves, Argetlam knew, but he had been away for some while. In fact, Argetlam had never met him, arriving after the chief had left. "Jackal. They call him the King of Thieves, but maybe he's been stolen. He hasn't been around in a while." The metal-bender frowned slightly, brow furrowing. Where was he, actually? The herd needed him, with Romani and Willow missing. "Our healer, Willow, is missing. Romani was stolen- she's a warrior. My mentor, Aaron, is the mason. Paladin, the former leader and now storyteller, has been scarce. We have no general and we have no head shadow. I guess we're disorganized." They were. Argetlam felt a spike of concern go through him- they needed the general, and the healer, and the storyteller, and the head shadow. They were important for the herd. Not to mention the missing herd leader.

Deceased
Adoptable

She listened as if the words he spoke were going to evaporate at any moment. She feared the worst because as he went on the dismal outlook of the Foothills was becoming all too evident. Her heart began to pound at the idea of being completely helpless. She had only met this stallion a mere few hours ago and yet she felt that he was her only hope. Soaking up his warmth for a moment more, she moved into the shade of a large oak. It looked to be the last of its kind standing amongst the barren hills and somehow she felt that the metaphor suited them perfectly. Argetlam was loyal to these lands even when all others had turned tail to run. She decided that she wouldn’t leave his side in this time of need because she felt an ominous brooding in the air. Something was going on, even if they couldn’t see it at eye level. But Argetlam was pressing onwards, moving past the turmoil to debate the brighter side, such as their friendship. She was glad to find a confidante in him because he made her feel at ease. No matter where they went beyond that day, she would always carry him in her heart.

We will remedy whatever gets in our way. I see that kind of worth in you.” Her smile seemed to curve only slightly now as she thought about the many things he had told her. No lead, no nurse, no shadow, no storyteller and yet they were still picking off even those warriors amongst their ranks? What in the hell was going on? She could see where others would find loopholes in their structure but all they needed was a little time to regroup… but of course they wouldn’t be given that kind of courtesy when a prime herd land was at stake.

Then we must fight it. We must find something to use against those who find us weak. You may not believe in war my friend, but now that is it upon our door, how do you plan to respond to it?” Her gaze seemed to drift off into the distance while she pondered. There was so much to debate. Without a lead there was no possibility of promotion and without a Shadow they were just sitting ducks, waiting to be plucked at a moment’s whim. She moved from the shade and began to meander through the trees again seeking refuge from the heat. She felt as if she needed a little time to let everything soak in and so she turned to gaze into Argetlam’s welcoming face. Trusted friend he was, but sometimes she needed a bit of time to think to herself. Maybe there was an answer for this and maybe there was way to avoid the inevitable, but she decided that it would be best for the two to part ways until she had had time to cool off.

After all, this was a time when everyone’s heart was set to racing, not just hers. She turned and elegant face towards him before bowing slightly. “I plan to rest the next couple of days to recuperate from my travels but we must find out where we stand before everything is taken from us, not just Willow and Romani.” Her eyes spoke volumes because in her heart she didn’t want to leave but her limbs grew stiff with weariness and she was more than ready to lie down for a few hours of rest. She looked off into the dunes one last time before asking, “Would you like to accompany me?” She guessed it wouldn’t be that much of shock due to her sense of worry and perhaps she didn’t need as much alone time as she thought… maybe she needed the company to keep her sane.

OOC | I'm going to go ahead and close this because I'm getting swamped with posts but I'll still be replying in the Herd Meeting.

Up For Adoption
Adoptable
OOC | Sounds good to me! It's never a good thing to be swamped :P