the Rift

[complete] A Step Toward Responsibility [Kri]

Vikram Posts: 73
World's Edge Skilled Protector
Stallion :: Hybrid :: 19 hh :: 9 years Buff: NOVICE
Kachie
It had been humbling, being picked out for the position of Captain. Granted, he'd been just one of many, but it had reminded him of when Mirage had placed him above the others as Wingleader of the Qian, back when they had based themselves in the Deep Forest. It was a position he'd stepped down from when they'd taken over the Edge, being uncomfortable with so many looking up to him. Well, in more than just the physical sense. And yet, now? Their protectors needed leaders, and Mirage had named him as one suitable to guide his fellows. Humbling, and inspiring.

He didn't step back now, even knowing that Kri, leader of the Tuuli and renowned for her temper and battle skills, was to test his mettle. It was with her in mind that he chose their spot to spar. A broad opening in the trees, walled in on three sides by the forest itself, and a cliff falling off the fourth. The ground was flat and windswept, a location that he often chose to take off or land from. It would keep the battle fair between them, offering them both an escape into the sky and no uncertain footing to trip them up.

It was there that he waited for her, calm and patient, until she arrived. He bowed his head to her in respect. "Thank you for taking the time from your responsibilities to test me, Lady Kri. I would be honored if you would begin." In truth, he disliked initiating fighting whenever he could help it. It was more than a gesture of respect to allow Kri the first move.

(( Set in a cliff-top clearing with lots of open safe and level, firm footing. First move is yours, Boom. ))

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

I'LL WEAVE YOUR NAMES INTO MY RIBCAGE,</style>
lock your hearts inside my chest.</style>

Walking through the trees of the Edge, I was very uncomfortable. There was one thing that I truly loved about my desert home, and that was the endless expanse of the sky. Long ago, in the beginning of my journeys here in Helovia, I had spoken of the ties of the land. The land could be broken and separated, filtered by ties and treaties, alliances, and guarded by warriors. The only kingdom that was not ruled by any was that of the sky. Unbreakable, endless, and free, the sky reigned above the world with quiet superiority. As a creature of the wind, I am the follower of the sky. My feathers itch for its soft embrace, which holds you securely let allows you the freedom of movement that the ground would restrain you in. The limbs of the trees which stretch over my head as we walk make me feel confined, trapped, and it is a god send when the mists clear, the darkness dissipates, and I am able to see forward, into the clear expanse of the blue sky decorated lovingly with clouds.

The sun above shines down with the ethereal light, softly in this day, blessing us with a beautiful summer day instead of one that was brutally warm. I smile with bliss as the wind touches my face. I am barely aware of the presence of Vikram until he speaks, and my dark eyes snap open to look at him. Instead of the serene mask that was worn on my face, now it is replaced with a fiery light of passion. Known for my temper, perhaps, but I think a better word to describe my behavior is passionate. I threw my entire being into my feelings, and I would not allow others to put forth half the heart and scoff at my behavior because I believe more strongly in myself than they do in any one thing on this earth. It is unfair, and more realistically, it is saddening.

The fire in my eyes burns as I smile at him now, a dangerous look taking over my face as I move without much hesitation forward. "I would save your thanks for after the battle, if you still appreciate my help," I say, a smirk on my lips now. Vikram is large, well defended with his many scales and natural armor, but I am not afraid. Just as I had faced the Steadfast with his hellbeast of a dragon without fear, I would face this ally without any more thought than I would give a shetland pony. An opponent is an opponent, and any opponent can be defeated if you are able to overcome your hesitations and doubt long enough to figure out the correct strategy.

I am not hesitant, nor am I ever doubtful about my own ability. This dragon is going to lose, or I am going to make him work his little bronze hiney off trying to win. If he wanted to be a Captain, he would have to prove it.

My muscles bunch and unfurl, my body moving forward in a fast charge, my smaller frame coming after the giant with enthusiasm, my neck curling to tuck my head close to my chest, swerving toward the left, weight hurdling toward the right shoulder joint of the massive hybrid, the differences in our heights being one of large consequence I had never before experienced. Despite the fact that I was small, Vikram might find that my small compact body would make a rather forceful impact from the beginning, a warning that while he could rest on his natural gifts of strength, I had trained it into my small frame. In anticipation of teeth stretching out after me, my long tail whips up from behind, racing up and left toward the face of the dragon, my body moving forward, aiming to slide past him after the possible blow of my shoulder, a cowkick swinging out toward his right front leg or shoulder as I dart by, the wind rushing behind me as my wings open in a beautiful array of soft chocolate feathers.

With a powerful beat of my wings, my hooves begin to lift from the clearing, attempting to break from this area of the skirmish and sail out toward the open air that follows the drop of the cliff. I am more comfortable in the air, with the wind at my back.
""

[ WC: 766; 1/4?; 0/2 magic

edit; Forgot to specify Kri will be using BULK and DANCE as her buffs. :P ]

KRI the Resolute</style>
I WILL GIVE YOUR HEART A PLACE TO REST AFTER EVERYTHING YOU HAD HAS TURNED AND LEFT.</style>

Kachie
An ear twitched as he watched her, golden eyes observant to the changes that came over the petite chocolate mare. An intensity entered her gaze as she looked to him after he spoke. Something stirred within him in response, bringing a new air of alertness to his posture even as a smile crossed the Resolute's features. Muscles flexed and rippled as he shifted in instinctive response to her drawing closer, leathery sails rustling as the ribbing that supported them bent and shifted while he contemplated his opponent in new silence.

She was small, much smaller than himself. He knew she would be tremendously more agile than himself, able to dodge and weave about him with little effort. It would take clever and deliberate tactics to possibly get the better of her. At this point he would be content to end this spar by earning her respect, in however a small a dose that may come.

And then it begun, as he'd half-expected it to. She surged forward toward him, swift and enthusiastic. His ears swept forward and slitted pupils narrowed as he judged her speed and trajectory. There, she veered toward her left, but not far enough to clear his bulk. Meant to slam him, did she? He was well aware he'd not be able to step out of the way with any efficiency. So he deliberately stepped into her body slam, putting his weight and a bit of extra momentum into the impact. Pain flared into his awareness as unprotected flesh was bruised by an crushing force that was greater than Kri had initially planned. A soft grunt escaped the hybrid steed from the flare of pain, yet at the same time he set his own set of attacks into motion.

His right wing lifted out of reach of any potential bite that might be launched toward its relatively vulnerable expanse. His right hind lifted in a strike forward and out, not entirely meant to land a blow, instead to provide an obstacle to hinder Kri's forward charge, perhaps trip her up. And then he swept his tail toward her to provide a further obstacle. Its natural height would put it quite close toward the sky-ward climbing pegasus' chest, the sharp spade at its tip a hazard to avoid. He didn't bother trying to bite, not inclined to try reach that far down in time to catch flesh and not fleeting wisps of hair, so the swish of her tail slapped uselessly against his chest. A new flare of pain erupted from his right fore as her quick kick glanced off his cannon. His shift toward her had thrown off the intended aim, catching skin and taking it away instead of striking squarely.

A small smile curved Vikram's lips as he swung around in a left-ward circle. This was a challenge that he was starting to enjoy. Few of such short stature bothered to try fighting him. His armored chest and belly often discouraged equines and unicorns, the potential of his size and weight worried opponents that weren't sure how to slip past the defense of teeth and hoof and wing and tail. That Kri did... enthused him. Half flaring his wings, he held his right fore up as though more seriously wounded than he actually was, deciding if he wanted to pursue her in the sky.

(( 558 words, 1/4, 0/2 magic ))

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

The force of a shoulder pounding into my side came sooner than expected, and my body lurches slightly off target from my intended path. I am pushed farther left, my hooves skidding upon the ground awkwardly and I nearly trip, barely finding a grip upon the loam of the forest in my hurry; the flair of my left wing also helps steady my frame as I continue forward. Most importantly, it is my resolve which keeps me afloat in this dangerous company, and I move as if the slip of footing had been all intentional, nothing but a hiccup in my movements. It is in my focus to keep upright and in my attacks that I do not notice the initial pain. The slow growth of it is strange, like a blush of the cheeks, radiating out from my shoulder where we had collided, one that I feel with stronger intensity with each cycle of my legs.

Pain eventually plateaus, though, and as soon as I am lifted from this earth, my shoulder will only feel the pulse from the occasional strain of my wings. Tomorrow, I would deal with the bruise, but for today, I would strictly ignore it by gritting my teeth and swallowing my weakness. There was no time for it today.

I am quite confused by my opponents tactics, for before I lift my legs from the earth to kick out at his right side, I can see his leg stick out awkwardly, far from my path now that I have been moved by his bulk further toward the left, the tips of my wing brushing uncomfortably against the copse of trees which surrounds us on my left side, but also his massive tail, as if he is giving me a prelude to his plans before I am even within a position for them to be effective. I do not mind much for his foolishness will be my gain. Instead, I just smile to myself, using my body's momentum as my hooves hit the dirt after their meeting with the flesh of my opponent to propel myself up and onward, robbed of the luxury of a gentle take off with these new hurdles. I force my figure into the air, leaping upward and flapping my wings harshly, accompanied by a surge of fresh winds tied to me with invisible strings, to force my body swiftly upward in altitude folding my front legs sharply underneath me, tucking them in tight for the squeeze over the tail of the dragon.

In my launch, it was quite possible the right wing of my body could batter the side or wing of the great dragon, but I could not tell. All I was aware of was that my body cleared its obstacle, free from the pointed edge of the spiked tail. Bunching my back legs close to my stomach, I punch backward with them, toward that same meaty tail, perhaps using it as an additional launchpad for faster acceleration, but more trying to keep that damned dagger from my belly. The last thing I wanted was my entrails spewed across the floor as my skeleton floated away from them on brilliantly crafted wings. While I need not fear this creature, for he is my ally at heart, I still may not rest. This fight was not one born for practice, this was a challenge. There was no room for mistakes made commonly, nor any leeway for errors I had made when I was younger.

I was not the same foolish mare who faced the Crimson Cliffs alone. I had grown. I had become stronger. I am a creature worth respect, and I will not yield to Vikram so easily. I will teach him the strength required of a protector.

I continue to rise in altitude, bringing my figure closer to the sun with a strong wing beats and the wind rushing behind me, sailing outward toward the drop off of the World's Edge. The beast could stay on the ground if he wanted, but I would not. There was no easier target for a pegasus than one on the ground, and, besides, I have much more fun in the air, when I am not caged to the ground like some pathetic animal.
""

[ WC: 738; 2/4; 0/2 magic ]

KRI the Resolute</style>
I WILL GIVE YOUR HEART A PLACE TO REST AFTER EVERYTHING YOU HAD HAS TURNED AND LEFT.</style>

Kachie
An ear twitched, the smallest sign of the surprise he felt when the force of impact ricocheted Kri farther away from his body than he'd expected. So it was no surprise that his attempt to trip her up further failed. But he respected her calm and intentional facade, taking the incident into stride with barely a hint of dignity scratched.

Yet there was a whisper of inconvenience in the rapid ascent she made, straining to reach clear air before her body could collide with the obstacle that was his tail and its sharp-edged tip. An ear swivelled, displaying small confusion at the unusual amount of air rushing past his body as her wings beat. How could someone so small displace so much air? One feathered wing thwaped against his haunch, impact softened by the very feathers that lent her the ability of flight. It wasn't painful, more distracting than anything else, there and gone so quickly he didn't have time to react to it before twinned impacts slammed against his tail. Again, dampened. This time by the fact that she was rising away from the impact even as it landed, yet this one wrought a wince of pain as his tail swayed away from her hooves. He would bruise, but they would be small and insignificant in the long run.

Golden eyes watched her now, flying ever upward and away. His tail swayed restlessly as he recognized that she would not close with him again anytime soon from the ground. He could wait for her, save his energy and essentially be a sitting target for any passing, swooping blows. Or he could go after her, and hope she would not out-manuever him too badly in the sky. A rumble vibrated in his chest, nares flaring in a snort that was accompanied by twinned plumes of smoke. The hell with it.

He surged into motion, the feigned bad injury proven small as his leg easily bore his weight as he shifted into a walk, then a trot, then a rolling canter. The rumble that had droned within his chest was drowned out by the rumble of his massive hooves against the ground as he followed after Kri. Leathery wings spread, rose, then swept powerfully down as he lunged from the clifftop. Briefly he rose, sank, then rose again as another wingbeat drove against the air in deviance of gravity trying to drag him down to the roaring surf dozens of feets below. Another thought was spared as he climbed after Kri, wondering about the unusual air currents that had flowed about her as she'd become airborne so close beside him just moments earlier. So strange, yet he had no explanation for it.

At last he grew close to her again, and strained for greater altitude. Logically his greater wings and the air they displaced would disturb her flight, but he wasn't going to rely on such small things in this spar. He angled after her, forehooves reaching to strike against her haunches. It had occurred him to strike for back or wings, but driving the Resolute out of the sky so dramatically was not what he wanted to do. It would not sit well to cripple or kill the leader of his herd's greatest ally, when all he wished to do was test his mettle against her. It was the same reason he didn't direct his fire breathing against her wings, though such a strike would be so easy. Easy wasn't the point.

(( 582 words, 2/4, 0/2 magic ))

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

I feel the weight of his tail under my hooves and I smirk, pushing off and sailing further into the air. My wings claw hungrily as I tear forward and passed the range of his legs, not happy until I am well out of his reach, settling in my currents with ease and gliding out past the cliff face of the World's Edge. I let out a joyous laugh past my lips, glancing back toward the little area of cleared forest, seeing his massive body begin to twist, turn and rumble forward on massive hooves. I cut back on my speed, allowing my pace to slow into a near crawl, as far as flight is concerned. I would let Goliath catch up. After all, I am far from afraid.

Vikram might be larger and physically stronger, but I am more determined; I'd stake my life on it.

His lumbering body makes its way into the air. I am amazed by the strength of his wings. To be able to lift his mass into the air like that, they are certainly a limb to be avoided. The flap of air as it smacks against the leathery surface, it is a different sound than the whistle that rushes through my wings. I am reminded, once more, that my opponent is vastly different than me. We are winged brethren, but our heritage is traced in different directions. He is large, armored naturally, and I would dare believe houses some sort of nasty abilities I cannot imagine. I remember that dragons are infamous for breathing fire. Is this half-blood capable of such things? I prayed not. Even if we are not enemies but friends, rookies often tapped the easy way to a victory.

I allow myself to face forward, flying easily. An ear cocks back to listen to the sound of skin and air, flapping with a sound that makes me strangely uneasy. I am not entirely certain where he is in the air, but I can estimate his general distance. As the sound grows larger, I glance toward the left, tilting my face slightly up to catch sight of him closing in. A smile grows on my lips; time to have fun. While I was not afraid to take hits, I knew with our size comparison that Vikram's blows would hit heavier upon me than a regular opponent. I was strong, stubborn, and brave, but I was not, have never been, invincible. In another fight, against another opponent, I might have found my next tactic to be cowardly. Instead, I would view it as cunning.

I angle my body slightly off kilter, my left side dropping toward the earth at an acute angle, my wings flapping once powerfully as wind rushes underneath them to push me speedily out of the way from Vikram's attack, though not entirely. His left hoof still manages to graze my right hip and down, tearing a small cut which stings when the wind blows against it, but it is minor. I smile as I am free, my dark eyes taking on the fiery light of excitement. The dance of battle, strong and true, had begun in the air. In this kingdom, Vikram might find that his mass was a disadvantage. I would be able to move with the confidence and speed of tried practice in aerial combat, aided by the speed of the wind. Let us hope that dragon-boy has a few tricks to make up for the disparity.

My evasion has brought me slight up and toward the left of Vikram's original aim, and so I turn my front end, tucking my wings close to my side as I push downward, diving toward his left barrel with my front hooves extended, aiming for an area a good distance from his wing joint. I did not want to cripple a friend, nor did I want to send him sailing back toward the world below. While his mass might be able to support me should I fall, I am definitely not lifting his fatass back to safety. As my hooves would aim to strike his flesh, my teeth aim to catch onto the middle of his nape.
""

[ WC: 735; 3/4; 0/2 magic ]

KRI the Resolute</style>

Kachie
Small satisfaction bubbles up as he recognizes the fact that she'd slowed to allow him to catch up. It was immensely gratifying to know that Kri would not force him to chase after her, wear him out and fly circles around him from her advantages in agility and speed both on the ground and in the air. It would be much too easy for her to do such a thing if she truly wished, and he couldn't guarantee a proper hold on his temper in such a situation. But for now, it wasn't something to be concerned with.

Closer he flies, and she maintains the same trajectory until almost the last moment, when she glanced back at him. He was aware of the tilt of her head as he reached out to strike her with his hooves, and was not surprised at all when she tilted down and away from him. Not quite far and fast enough, for the collision of hoof against muscle jarred his left leg a slight bit. It was a bit of novelty to feel how differently blows landed when in the air, as opposed to on the ground. There was less rebound when his blows would push his opponent through the air almost more than they would crush them.

The flurry of feathered and leathery wings had obscured his view of where she'd gone, and he turned his head to seek out Kri's new location. Golden eyes locked on to her as she turned in the air, coming back toward him. He waited, watching, to see what she had in mind, to see how best to act in accordance. Suspecting that she meant to drive into him, he waited until she started to stoop, then made his move.

Wings drew in as he surrendered himself to gravity, twitching enough to bring him into a forward dive of his own. His body dropped forward and down, swiftly enough that Kri's body passed over his haunches instead of colliding with his side. There was a moment, a dark, blood-thirsty moment, where he almost lashed his tail to the right. But it was stamped down harshly, irritation rising into its place. Such a tactic would be fine if it was a true foe, but it would be all too easy to disembowl Kri instead of slicing open flesh. Even that was too severe of damage to sit well on his mind. A growl ripped from his throat, frustrated that all the moves that he would have used as a matter of course were too life-threatening to employ upon the Resolute.

He snapped his wings open again once positive that he was in open air, unlikely to take or deliver unwitting blows. Again, something he wasn't comfortable doing. He knew his wings were strong and heavy enough to do a fair amount of damage to a smaller opponent, but he wasn't keen on accidentally snapping fragile bones in Kri's wings or giving her a concussion. Flying did have its advantages when you didn't want to kill or cripple an opponent. Another growl was given voice to, as he traded downward velocity for an upward trajectory, swinging around to the right.

He was below and to the left of Kri, but closing rapidly with swift beats of his wings. Already the borrowed speed of his dive was fading, but he was confident he could catch up to her. With little heed of the very likely possibility of having her hooves batter at his head or chest, confident in the durability of the latter if not the former, he flew up with the intent to collide with Kri. Between beats of his wings he drew in a deep breath, and once close enough released it. Fire boiled up after it, heating his throat almost uncomfortably before streaming out in a controlled, thin blast. Not at Kri's wings, or at the exposed length of her sides. But at her tail.

He knew the likelihood of succeeding at this quirky tactic were slim, but humor bubbled in his cat-slitted eyes, imagining the potential sight of the Resolute with her tail on fire. It was only because they flew over the ocean that he bothered to dare, knowing it would be an easy situation to recity should it happen.

(( 715 words, 3/4, 1/2 magic

Love you Boom, the idea was given to me by Nogard for magic use, and I couldn't resist giving it a shot.))

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

I watch Vikram the Large fall like a stone in the air, but I commit to my path, unable to stop the force which drives me down, my hooves sliding past the flesh of his haunch. We graze past each other, so close yet so far from hitting. No shudder from impact. No wracking of my body. Nothing. Damn it, I think to myself, my mass of brown wings flaring to keep myself from plummeting further in the air, wind driving up from underneath and catching me. The sudden force is like a slap across my body, jerking me upward before I stabilize in the air, dark blue eyes already scanning from the target I had missed.

How could I possibly miss such a large, shining dragon horse for fuck's sake?

The whistle of leathery skin in the air like a mast in the wind, snapping and capturing my attention as I see the massive sails of Vikram open, his body taking upward with a growl. I smirk, not taking a moment to hover in the air, also lifting my frame to fly upward, dark eyes flashing between tendrils of pale gold as I glance over my shoulder, the wind lifting me up and up. Vikram may have strength, but I have speed. If his intent is to race me, I have no doubt that he will lose. However, just before a gleeful laugh perks up from my lips, I see the glint of his golden eyes as a small beacon of light is my only warning for the fire that soon awaits it.

Life holds moments of pure clarity of thought. Perhaps the prickle of fear in my chest drove my thought. Perhaps my encounter with Azzaron and his fire magic. Perhaps even back to Adalwulf and his hellbeast of a dragon. Whatever the reason, my mind went blank, but my body began to push.

The air around me decreases in pressure rapidly. The bulk of the air around me is pushed outward in an instant, whipping away from my body and leaving my wings struggling to make use of the vacuum surrounding my entire body. The increased pressure surrounding the bubble of my airless world alights in a brilliant flash of fire, likely bursting flames back into Vikram's own face by following the stream of fire from his own jaws. I begin to sink in the air, unable to hold my altitude in this empty world, the breath being forced from my lungs as I exhale. The world around me is on fire, but I feel fine.

With one last drive of my magic, I force the pressure back, assuming that the stream of fire had ended. Desperate, trying to regain my composure in the air, my chocolate wings gracelessly flapping, but it is of no use. I still fall, back hooves lashing out blindly, defensively in case Vikram's teeth were in range of my delicate limbs. Panic growing in my chest as I realize I am falling. I have never fallen from the sky. Never. Somewhere within me, the loyalty of the wind is remembered, and a push from below captures my wings with a billow, reorienting myself in the sky after a moment of clumsy blustering. My heart beats like a drum in my ears. Fire. I glare behind me, my face tugged into a look of stern disapproval.

I don't care if that ass burned his entire face off. A fight with friends is not a fight for flames. Maybe, I should consider the possibility this is no longer a friendly fight.
""

[ WC: 597; 4/4; 1/2 magic ]

KRI the Resolute</style>

Kachie
Bewilderment clouded the hybrid stud's mind as he watched the streamer of fire he'd exhaled grew and blossomed into a roaring fireball. What....? His massive wings beat the air as he backwinged rapidly, watching with a noted lack of understanding of what had been meant to be a barest stream of flame, given just enough juice to reach out and singe the Resolute's tail, blew entirely out of proportion.

It expanded like a firey lily, glowing petals flaring out to engulf the form of Kri, splashing back unheeded toward the dragon-horse who'd first given breath to it went from confusion to panic. Alarm burned a tract through his gut, reversing the path his fire had earlier followed. Oh shit! was his only thought as he powered himself forward again, terrified of having burned Kri. Through the afterimage of the fire's burning glory he saw her reappear in the fire's wake, temporarily unable to tell if she was whole and hale or burned and ailing, but assuming the worst. It was an assumption made sharper as he realized she was falling.

Desperate he dipped below her, keen to catch her before she could fall too far... but her smaller frame never settled upon his back. Instead he felt that weird shifting in the air again, sucking away the air briefly from around his broad wings and causing him briefly to lose more altitude than he should have, passing beneath Kri. Beyond her now, he circled back with powerful beats of his wings, panic and desperation subsiding as his mind worked overtime, trying to figure out what exactly had just happened. Golden eyes settled upon Kri, seeing her now as she had been before the fireball. Nothing singed, expect perhaps her pride, with a disapproving look upon her face.

A low rumble vibrated in his chest, irritation surging to the forefront now in the wake of his earlier panic. "What exactly, did you just do!?!" he bellowed at her, quite certain that she'd hear him over the sound of the air their wings displaced and the wind past their ears. "I did not give that fire enough body to do more than singe your tail, so you must have done something to feed it!" Perhaps it would have been wiser to be apologetic initially, but after having that scare of thinking he'd possibly killed the Throat's leader through no fault of his own was more than enough to stir his ire, especially since she evidently blamed him.

(( 415 words, 4/4, 1/2 magic

He's too busy being mad at Kri to attack her again...))

Hidden Account
Boom Boom!

The look of concern almost vaporized the anger floating around in my skull as I think of the brilliant flash of fire, the outline of which still dots my vision. I believe, however, that I am unable to forgive one who would used fire against a friend, especially when he regains composure and bellows at me with a cutting baritone. My ears slick back immediately, disappearing in a mess of twirling blonde locks. Turning my face downward, I sneer at the dragon who dares yell at me. I am not certain why I am being blamed for blowing things up when I am not the one who brought fire to this party.

In chiding tones, my voice reaches down with all the softness of a banshee and just as loud as an ogre. "You are not the only creature in this realm with magic on their side, idiot." Emphasis on the idiot. I glare down with eyes hard as nails before regaining the composure behind my tongue. "Do not blindly use such violent magic against a friend when you are blatantly ignorant of their capabilities," I say, my face serious. "All I would have done is halt in the air and you would have burned me severely. Have you not fucking brain in that thick skull of yours?"

Apparently not.

Pulling the wind behind me, I zoom forward, leaving the hybrid to contemplate my words in the sky while putting as much distance between me and the fire-hailing mouth of his.
""

[ WC: 251; Closing defense; 1/2 magic ]

KRI the Resolute</style>

Official Posts: 847
Administrator
Stallion :: Equine :: ::
Official

K r i | V i k r a m
- - - - -
By my verdict KRI is the winner.
Kri earns 1 VP.

KRI -- post 1 (attack only)

[Realism]
+ 1| Attack: trying to slam into his wing joint. Just keep in mind that with the rather extreme height difference (at least 17 inches, I think?) I'm not sure she'd hit much more than the bottom of his barrel.
0| Attack: tail slap to hopefully keep his mouth away. A good idea, but since he is on your right, throwing it left wouldn't do much good.
- 1| Attack: cow kick. Given that a cowkick is more out straight to the side, and the attack is described as being after Kri has tried to slide past him, meaning reaching his front end, as described, is not really possible.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Easy read.
+ 1| Flow.

VIKRAM -- post 1

[Realism]
+ 1| Attack: stepping into the attack.
- 1| Defense: you take the attack.. mention bruising etc.. but you don't state where it landed.
+ 1| Attack: putting out a hind leg to stop Kri.
+ 1| Attack: trying to bring his tail around to prevent her from easily coming into the air.
+ 1| Defense: tail to chest.
- 1| Defense: I don't see how she'd hit him if she's already away-ish in the air?

[Prose]
0| Emotion: this post was quite dry. You mention it in a sort.. lame way, like: "That Kri did... enthused him." But I don't feel it. Where's the enthusiasm? The pulse? The adrenaline?
+ 1| Easy read.
+ 1| Flow.

KRI -- post 2

[Realism]
+ 1| Defense: I think you handled the shoulder-push quite well.
+ 1| Defense: reasonably being out of reach of the hind leg.
+ 1| Defense: tucking legs and using your wings to clear the tail mostly.
+ 1| Attack: kicking out towards the tail.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Easy read.
+ 1| Flow.

VIKRAM -- post 2

[Realism]
+ 1| Defense: hooves to tail.
- 2| Powerplay: "At last he grew close to her again." You can only attempt to. Given their size differences I believe Kri is faster than Vikram any day of the week, or they need to fly straight ahead for a long time for him to build up enough speed to overtake her.
+ 1| Attack: trying to strike her haunches.

[Prose]
0| Emotion: again, it reads very dry to me. You're writing a lot from an astronaut perspective, what he does, "An ear twitched, the smallest sign of the surprise he felt" -- I want to get inside of his head. I want to feel his surprise, not be told he is it.
+ 1| Easy read.
+ 1| Flow.

KRI -- post 3

[Realism]
+ 1| Defense: dropping away from his strike.
- 1| Attack: there's a lot of things here that don't make sense to me. First off, I understood your dodge as arcing lower, not higher, so I don't understand the transition. Secondly, you aim to strike his barrel, but the problem here is that he's got wings. Striking below them could work, if he's at an upstroke but he could just chuck them down in your head, but as you're described from coming above, you'd have to kind of... zone through his wing to get to the target? Since the membrane is attached to the back (at least it should be >.>).
+ 1| Attack: bite towards his nape.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Easy read.
+ 1| Flow.

VIKRAM -- post 3

[Realism]
+ 1| Defense: dropping away from her attack.
- 1| Defense: no mention of the bite. Even if the dropping away would constitute a natural barrier, you should've mentioned it, something like "her teeth closed harmlessly on air".
- 2| Powerplay: "He was below and to the left of Kri." This should've been, "He ought to be below and to the left of Kri unless she moved from her previous path" or something.
- 1| Attack: trying to collide with her from from below. You don't state how, where.
+ 1| Attack: fire towards her tail.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion. This post was a lot better! I felt like it was seen more from Vikram's perspective than an outsider's.
+ 1| Easy read.
+ 1| Flow.

KRI -- post 4

[Realism]
+ 1| Defense: flying up to avoid him.
+ 1| Experience: using past experience, Azzaron in this case, to react to the fire.
+ 1| Attack: blasting the air out to try and return some fire to Vikram's face.
+ 1| Attack: kicking out.
- 1| Defense: using a decreased air pressure. It'd be a very rapid decompression, and I don't feel like you treat the negative effects deeply enough. For example if she doesn't have her airways open her lungs would risk rupturing, and very quickly the nitrogen would come out in her joints (or bloodstream in other places, but joints is most common). Mucous membranes bared to the air would dry up rapidly, or even "boil". Otherwise, it would work, as there's little to no oxygen in a very low pressure area, and the fire would just disintegrate anyway.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Easy read.
+ 1| Flow.

VIKRAM -- post 4

[Realism]
+ 1| Defense: Kind of backpedaling away.

[Prose]
+ 1| Emotion.
+ 1| Easy read.
+ 1| Flow.

KRI -- post 5 (defense only)

[Realism]
0| Nothing of note.

KRI

[Bonus]
+ 2| Breed.
+ 2| Surroundings.

[Injuries]
0| Nothing of note.

[Creativity]
0| Nothing of note.

Comments: Good fight on the whole! You know what you're doing most of the time, just keep wings in mind! And as for Kri's air magic, keep in mind that a rapid decompression is very nasty. NASA had some handy information on humans in outer space, and you can always research "the Bends" (diver's sickness) or decompression sickness, which is the airplane variant of it. Otherwise, nothing wrong! Keep up the good work.

VIKRAM

[Bonus]
+ 2| Breed.

[Injuries]
0| Nothing of note.

[Creativity]
0| Nothing of note.

Comments: On the whole, well done! The emotion portions got better towards the end. Try to think about how you word things, as you had two incidents of "deciding" where your opponent was, when you can only assume/use their last position as a means of direction. So just polish the edges, and try to use your surroundings more!

TOTAL
Kri - 75
Vikram - 63

Image Credit: dirkjankraan @ Flickr