the Rift

Hatching [Tares]

Random Event Posts: 1,286
Helovian Ancient
Stallion :: Equine :: ::

The egg, having been lovingly cared for in the flames suddenly began to quiver and quake. Flaming veins began to pulse more frequently, shining through the soft, creamy exterior. It began to shimmer brightly and shake violently.

Suddenly and shockingly, the egg collapsed into a heap of ash as if dead. Minutes of silence followed the seeming destruction before a small cry muffled from the grey, chalky dust. Very carefully, a small, tiny beak pushed through the ash, vibrant, flaming plumage taking to the light moments later.

The phoenix was small, but beautiful. From the minute it looked into Tares eyes, it knew that it was home. From that moment on, the phoenix would be loyal to Tares and all of her allies.

[You can choose the gender. :) Congrats. ]

Tares Posts: 74
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: 38 months
Alex

I've rested patiently with the egg by the heart of the land, defending it from predators and its fate as prey, and at last I awaken to stirrings within its shell. It rests against my neck, soft, pulsing, and hot, but the fire within it does not burn. With wide, curious eyes of yellow, I watch the egg as it begins to hatch in a most peculiar manner. Light pulses through the egg's fragile shell, and I feel it shudder against my black coat as if it is mimicking the beat of several hearts. And yet it seems frail, like a new fire just starting for the first time. At once the egg bursts up in flames, and instinctively I shuffle back on weak legs to avoid a burn. But the fire subsides and leaves only ash.

There is a moment of pure defeat when it dawns upon me that what I had been protecting was doomed to die from the very start. But I cannot leave it there, reduced to nothing but ash- sadly I nose at the pile, catching the gray flecks in my beard and nostrils, smelling their wild scent. Devastation washes over me in waves until I am left utterly alone and in despair.

And then there is a shift in the pile, and I feel warmth press against my face. I open my weary eyes slowly, and my ears swivel at the sound of life. Nuzzled in the crook of my neck, crawling from the ash, rests a newborn phoenix. For the first time since I have come to this land, I feel truly blessed; to be gifted with this creature, built in the image of the god of fire himself... there is truly no greater sign that I am not alone.

And just as he looks at me and finds home, I turn and lock eyes with his beady black ones and see a companion. There is a strong bond between us after only once glance, and suddenly I know more about him than I have ever known of anyone else for as long as I have lived. I need not name the phoenix, for he has his own. I can see it reflected in his eyes, traced in the ash from which he was born, spelled out in the flames that adorn him.

"Arbutus," I whisper with a fondness I have never before expressed. I reach my head out to nuzzle the little bird, and whinny softly as his flames spike up with excitement and his heat washes over me with mutual joy. I recognize the name from somewhere- it takes a few moments to recall it is from my scholarly pursuits in the woodlands. The name of a flowering tree that had grown in my home. I pull back my gaze to look upon his beauty, and from my lips comes the gentle words, the meaning of the name; "I love only thee."

[Thank you so much admins! The phoenix will be a male named Arbutus, for the records. This thread is now open to anyone that would like to meet Arbutt and/or Tares- would you mind changing the title for me so it includes open? Thanks again <3]

Cassiopeia Posts: 171
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hands :: 8 years old
Phantom

trust your heart if the
seas catch fire

Something about this mare reeked of familiarity.

She couldn't quite analyze the reasoning for such intuitive feelings, she only knew that she felt them with great imperativeness and the sylphlike dame was wise to acknowledge such suspicions. She observed her curiously from a suitable distance, hooves strumming gently against the arid terrain below her and yielding a steady, frequent cadence.

The heat, although prevalent along the entirety of Helovia, was a great deal more fervent in this region. Of course that was understandable. A pit of reckless, fluctuant flames lay not far away from where she stood. She looked out across the vast, igneous crater. She could perceive the incalescence radiating from the bowl-shaped impression even though she moved a reasonable distance away. She recalled the time that she had encountered the equine mare Enheduanna here, back when her flanks were still swollen to accommodate the life which evolved within her. She found it amazing how fast time had managed to elapse.

Her attentions were reigned in upon the mare once again as she finally reached her, cyan eyes paying homage to the words she initiated her lips to articulate. "Hello." She inclined her gracile head slightly in a cordial greeting as a genuine smile was evinced upon her exquisitely sculpted facade. Her gaze fell upon the young phoenix, admiration and unabated wonderment washing over her. "What a magnificent creature. Is he yours?" She peered toward the ebony colored heroine mid sentence, unfeignedly curious.

Deceased
Alex

I am first made aware of the mare's presence by Arbutus, who alerts me with a high, piercing call that is reminiscent of every birdsong I've ever heard sung all at once. His beauty is all encompassing, his fire somehow a comfort even in the unforgivable heat of the Tallsun night. There is something about him that evokes a strong sense of love within me. His purity brings me regret as I recall the deaths of the creatures that hunted him, and in the light of his fire, I forget the death of my father for the first time since I have learned of it. It is a boon to have something else to keep my heart afloat and mend its tattered edges- a blessing from the God of Fire that I will never disrespect.

And somehow I feel that the bond is mutual. I look to him and sense a sentience still untapped that draws him to me. I feel fear and distrust at the approach of the mare, and Arbutus' wings spread with a swiftness that insinuates he knows my emotion and understands my fear. I rest upon the ground, weak from the long walks in this unfamiliar land, and like a guardian he perches upon my shoulder, his flame stirring my mane but not singeing it in the slightest. As unthreatening as the mare before me seems, I've never been one to trust- not even a pegasus. I'm a unicorn myself, but only by birth. I connect to the sky and the fire more than I've ever felt the blessing of the water that stirs in the lakes and oceans of the earth. In flight I feel free, upon the earth I am overwhelmed by a feeling of imprisonment. Upon my shoulder, Arbutus shuffles his flaming feathers with irritation, as if imagining a life without the sky. Though I've yet to see him take flight, I understand his hesitance to stay grounded- there is nothing but treachery here. The sky... the sky is pure.

The mare draws closer, but I do not rise. My hocks ache and my body is exhausted with the efforts and nervousness of watching Arbutus' egg, which now lays upon the ground in a pile of ash. She speaks sweetly, and when I would have normally backed away, Arbutus presses a crested head comfortingly against my cheek and gives me a confidence I've never before felt. With a slight nod I look up to the mare and answer her, my voice shockingly steady. "Evening," I reply, my voice still quieter than hers, but at least not hindered by a nervous stutter. She asks about Arbutus, inquiring if he is mine. The phoenix trills and spreads his wings joyously, as if pleased that he has been mentioned by another. "We are companions," I answer with a slight smile, turning to watch him as he preens himself, dropping golden, fiery feathers to the ground and letting them turn to ash. Curiously he pulls at the feather entwined in my mane, as if recognizing it as belonging to one of his own kin. It begins to burn slowly as my wings unfold to encompass him in their grip as they did when he was no more than an abandoned egg, and immediately he curls himself up among my flames, his eyes fluttering with the sheer exhaustion of being born. Affectionately I nudge him with my nose, but he is already at rest. "What might I call you?" I ask, surprising even myself with the forwardness of my words. Arbutus makes a soft sound akin to purring in his sleep, and I feel a sense of pride.

[[So excited to meet Cass, I've heard so much! I would love for her to join the throat if Cass would like to invite her there- her gateway thread is kind of slow.]]

Hidden Account
Phantom

trust your heart if the
seas catch fire

Never before had she seen the likes of her kind bonded to such a chimerically esteemed creature, a Phoenix: a near immortal aviary with plumage crafted from licking flames. It was a profoundly fascinating organism, and she found the mare lucky, though no envy sullied her captivation. She was content with her astral creations.

The essence of familiarity still roamed aimlessly through her cranium, the search for an explanation so far widely inauspicious. She inquired to know the celestial dame's identity, and as usual she volitionally appealed to the request. Likewise, she hoped to be enlightened on the moniker of the still rather strange maiden before her. Perhaps knowing her name would rationalize her intuitiveness, she resolved, but the other mare had arrived at the query first and therefore Cassiopeia complied willingly.

"Cassiopeia." It flowed from her charred kissers with the unmistakeable fluidity of brisk, pristine water; like wine poured deliberately from a decanter into a glass, the narrative of her femininity doused voice awaiting to be readily absorbed by the attentions of the shadowy mare before her. She had always been prideful of the substance of her name, though not in an audacious manner in any respect of the word. It harmonized with her existence flawlessly, for she was christened after the powers harbored within her; the blessing imparted onto her by the Goddess of the Moon herself upon her first, bleary introduction to the world.

She carried no distinct fragrance of any of the herd lands, causing the curiosity to arise within the roan mare as to her recency of entering this land. "Are you new to Helovia?" She necessitated courteously, not intending to pry. She had been generically familiar with the distinctive aroma of the Windtossed Foothills, and hadn't apprehended any such sense. The World's Edge occupied unicorns of pure blood, and by the appearance of her pyretic wings they wouldn't have allowed her entrance despite the protuberance upon her forehead which spoke clamorously of her unicorn strains - almost anyone could interpret that.

[ ooc ; Aww, thanks. :3 Cass would be glad to invite her. c; ]

Deceased
Alex

"A pleasure," comes the charming and confident answer from my lips. My strength rolls off the tongue and leaves behind a sweet taste; I cannot help but attribute the newfound stability to Arbutus, even as he sleeps upon my withers. "I am Tares, and this is Arbutus," I offer freely, nudging the little phoenix and causing the embers upon his back to leap up with a live flame. I can tell by the pattern of his fire that he is sleeping restlessly and that his mind is interrupted by dreams- the twitching of his wings is a giveaway. Slowly I turn my gaze from him to Cassiopeia, and nod my head downwards in an offer for her to join me upon the ground. Were it not for Arbutus' precariously balanced position I may have risen to greet her, for one with a heavy scent and such an air as she carried was likely to be respected, but I feared my exhaustion may have kept me grounded even still.

She asks about my time in this land, which she names firmly as Helovia, and I am filled with sadness, memory, and regret. My gaze travels to the earth beneath me, where my long black beard and mane twist amongst the ash and dirt, and shine a slight orange in the reflecting light of the heart. "I arrived some time ago after the destruction of my old lands, but have only recently begun to settle in the wake of my father's death," I offer in response, my voice shaking slightly when I recall Voltaic's end and feel once more the fresh pain of not being at his side. I cannot look at the mare before me, the pain digs into me too deeply and with too much intensity for me to focus on anything else. Between my shoulders Arbutus shifts and lowers his flames to lick the base of my neck tenderly- even asleep I sense he understands my feelings. I cast a curious glance towards him and catch one black eye opened, but as soon as I make contact it shuts quickly, as if he would rather I think he was asleep at the time.

I can't help it, the phoenix's antics bring a slight curl to the edge of my lips. My forelock falls over my saddened eyes, and by the time I blow it out of my vision with a huff of air through my flaring nostrils, my expression is one of apathy once more. Back to normal, then- not caring about anything for fear that caring will simply cause pain. But still, I must be sociable. I look up at the mare slowly, and my tone rises with a question. "Have you been here long? You smell of one of the herd lands I've passed in my journey through this land," I ask with a rising brow and a low, soft tone. I don't want to seem intrusive, but the curiosity I missed out on as a filly is catching up to me. Besides, maybe this mare can offer me a home not filled with bigoted, racist unicorns. What a blessing and a first that would be.

Hidden Account
Phantom

trust your heart if the
seas catch fire

She offered her name, presenting herself as Tares. The calling unfortunately hadn't rung any bells, and therefore the roan dame's curiosity remained perpetually unsated. "I am glad to make your acquaintance." She averred with a dip of her head, deciding to take her up on the rendition to sit. She assumed position by Tares at a respectable distance, not desiring to smother her but remained in close enough proximity that she could still reach her. She listened attentively as she provided an answer to Cass's question, her gracile head tilted ever slightly with evident concern as the mare's gaze soon shifted to the earth below.

She extended a fledged wing toward the mare with her head bowed gravely, visual contact between them momentarily severed as Tares fought to repel the sovereign upsurge of emotions which the words she spoke had clearly elicited within her. In a compassionate, heartening gesture she touched her massive wing atop the humble curvature of her back, careful to avoid her flaming appendages.

The motion was executed in an idle attempt to ease the heroine's sorrow, though she knew it would likely prove futile. Hopefully she would appreciate it none the less. "I am sorry for your loss. I know how difficult it is to lose a loved one." Her melodic voice was gentle, consolatory. In complete honesty, she had never experienced the plight firsthand, but it always pained her to see Azzuen in a state of grief as he had been recently with the demise of his brother. It caused her own heart to ache to see him in such a vulnerable state.

Meanwhile, her mind fluxed with vexations uprisen from the lure of the mare's previous words. Had the land she had spoken of been the same that her lover, Azzuen, and Voltaic and had been born in? It would not be entirely surprising, for she had encountered others from the same land here, though it would provide her with an annotation as to why Tares seemed so redolent of familiarity. She obviated bringing up the subject again. She seemed to have figuratively purged the sadness that had afflicted her mind, already, and sought to swiftly reposition their conversation onto more pleasant matters. She happily followed suit.

She had asked about her herd land, beforehand uttering an inquiry about the time she had spent in Helovia. Both ears flicked forward with diligence. "I suppose you could say that. I have been here long enough to consider it my true home and forge a family of my own." She affirmed. It would have been simpler to just say yes, but there were others who had been here longer than Cassiopeia, and she hadn't so much as explored the entirety of the landscape. "As for a herdland, I belong to the Dragon's Throat. I retain the rank of an Informant." She wondered how wise it was to tell her of her rank. It was meant to be mostly secretive, but Tares seemed fairly harmless. Cassiopeia had taken an immediate liking to her.

She regarded her with an expression exemplifying meaningful rumination. "You know, we are always welcoming of new additions. If ever you and Arbutus feel the urge, you are welcome to join our ranks. I am sure Kri, my leader, would welcome you with open wings." A smile bloomed across her ebony kissers. She would be honored to have Tares as a fellow herd member. She might actually be disappointed if she were to choose to decline the proposal, but that wouldn't make a difference to her opinion of her.

Deceased
Alex

As a general rule I shy away from the act of dwelling on what brings me pain, but the mare is shockingly considerate enough to extend her condolences for the death of my father. I begin to shy away from the idea of calling him father- I wonder if calling him by his name would help distance me from the pain. After all, I barely knew him anyway; why should I be so torn apart? And any moment when I consider my mother's likely death is one of relief, I feel odd treating the two so differently. Then again, they weren't hesitant to treat me in the same manner. It's funny how one's childhood shapes them for the rest of their life. It's strange that even after all this time, her touch leads me to shiver and hesitate- to back away in fear.

I decide then, with a sense of firm obligation, that Arbutus shall life a life free of trouble for as long as I can maintain it. The peace we have now as we rest together is strong, and I know it has the potential to be unbreakable. I simply hope it doesn't fade with his fire or wane with my optimism. After all, this good mood isn't bound to last; they never do.

Yet my eyes light up at the mare's mention of a prospective home, and I am not the only one that feels this spark of hope as an impetus to move forth. Upon my back, Arbutus' feathers ruffle and embers fly from his flaming form. His eyes open suddenly, and in seconds he is lifted from my back and, for the first time, taking wing. I watch him with pride and joy, even letting a rare upturn of my lips occur as his fiery wings cut through the air and his whistles sound out. I whinny lightly as if to laugh, and my tired legs lift my body up, to look over the mare who has settled down before me. My yellow gaze travels out into the distance, and briefly meets Arbutus' as he wheels around me with excitement. "It would be an honor to join your ranks, Cassiopeia," I answer with a slight nod. "Arbutus certainly seems thrilled with the idea," I add cheerfully as he at last settles to perch on my shoulder.

I begin to fade away as my concentration focuses less on the mare before me and more on my future. My wings retract and the flame dies, and, sensing the calm that has washed over me, Arbutus, too, lowers his flames to a mere smoldering ember. My voice reduces to almost a whisper, and almost musingly I speak my thoughts aloud. I think, if possible, I would like to protect the herd in some way," I murmur, recalling my father's bravery and loyalty to the islands herd. Perhaps it is not too late to follow in his path.

Hidden Account
Phantom

trust your heart if the
seas catch fire

Keen azure eyes settled upon the emblazoned figure of Arbutus as he took to the sky, small embers dancing in his wake, their dim, igneous luminosity quenched as they careened slowly downward as little more than ash. She watched with amazement, glancing down momentarily as Tares emit a gentle, yet riant whinny. She watched as the ebony heroine hoisted her body from the arid loam and soon decided to imitate the action. Slender ears were provoked forward with interest as the mare's voice poured forth, cordial and content.

She smiled in approval, laughing gently. "So it would seem." She swanned with a vague inclination of her narrow face, observing the phoenix with silent wonderment. Her tasseled tail flicked idly at her hocks with slow, inebriate motions. The sound of an expiring flame breathed into the air and the cobalt mistress eyed the place her wings once harbored curiously. Inquisitiveness abounded from the tip of her tongue, for she had always retained a peculiar captivation with magic of any sort. "You can summon them - your wings - whenever you wish?" Exquisite eyes regarded her kindly. How fascinating. She thought.

Superfluously, she marveled over the thought of being able to conjure her wings whenever they were needed, but then again, it would feel strange not to feel their presence even if for a short period of time. There was a never an instant where she disdained their existence, and therefore she would find no use in such a magic. She admired the ability all the same, her attentions now focused once again upon the content of the other mare's vocalisms.

"I'm inclined to believe the title of soldier would suit you, then - am I wrong?" She shot the mare an inquisitive glance, though she thought she was fairly certain she already knew the answer. "If you and Arbutus are ready, I will gladly lead you there now." With that, her silvern wings ruffled, seemingly enticed by the prospect of flight. She wondered for a moment if Tare's wings could sustain aviation, for fire was not exactly an aerodynamic substance - at the very least it was not something she imagined to be palpable of flight. It didn't matter, really. She would without hesitance lead her there by hoof if need be.

Deceased
Alex

My vices are few and far between, but I won't deny the slight spark of pride I feel for my wings. Each time they are pointed out there is a warmth in my breath that I find a comfort, even if now it is simply a reminder of those gone. "The wings are mind to command, yes," I reply with an accommodating nod and an easy tone. "It belonged to an ancient phoenix," I begin, watching Arbutus preen at the mention of his own kind, "...but I received it from my father, Voltaic the Samurai." I speak slightly wistfully, remembering that moment on the beach of the tides when the gift was presented to me. So long ago... I was merely a filly at the time, hiding from my mother's abuse in plain sight. Keeping Lily's secret as she penetrated the Tides' source of information, longing for fleeting contact with my father even as he spent his days ruling over the Islands.

I wonder if I was a bad child- if I deserved what my mother brought my way, or was simply born into tragedy. Arbutus seems to sense the distress brought upon by the memories, and I feel a slight pressure as his head presses the flesh at the base of my neck comfortingly. What good company he's proving to be.

And then everything seems to happen at once, as the pegasus before me offers me a rank within the herd and the way home. My wings extend with hers, and I nod in reply to her remark. "Soldier... It will take getting used to, certainly," I whinny bemusedly to the dark mare as my hoofbeats begin to pound the earth by the heart. Beneath my cleft hooves dying grass crumbles, and at my side Arbutus whistles and wheedles as he catches the warm updrafts of my wings. I don't bother to answer the pegasus now, I simply take flight at her side, sighing with relief as the air lifts me and my aching legs no longer have to hold me up. Broad stretches of fire cut through the air and pull me upward with each downwards beat, and with precision borne of frequent practice, I find myself at Cassiopeia's side and flying towards my new home, a friend and companion at my side.

Hidden Account
Phantom

trust your heart if the
seas catch fire

The astral dame's ears flicked forward intently as the sable mare uttered the name of Voltaic the Samurai, her father, she alleged. Cassiopeia deduced that she must've been from Isilme, and her previous suspicion was therefore confronted with a reasonable incentive. She would have verbalized some sort of query as to whether it had in fact been her homeland, but decided against it, allowing the conversation to reposition on a contrastive subject.

She smiled as Tares extended her pyrogenic wings as the roan mistress unfurled her own fledged appendages, the black tipped feathers whispering gently against the wind as her slender legs began to pump in the rhythm of a swift, legato gait. Gracefully she leapt into the azure expanse of the sky, sailing with ease through the arid atmosphere. She directed her body toward her home once assuring Tares wasn't far behind. Her musings wandered once again to the subject of the mare's homeland, and the cobalt maiden soon felt the curiosity fluidly leak from her lips. "Are you from Isilme, Tares?"

Deceased
Alex

Are you from Isilme?

The questioned burns, freezes, and stings all at once. It leaves me feeling numb and emotional, defenseless and guarded. I want to say no- I want it not to be true, to not have had to see the sundering take place, to run from the shadows. I want to at least say I was, to proclaim that I am now unburdened by its haunts, but in actuality, I will always be from Isilme. From my mother's loins I'd burst forth into a world of shadow, and I'd never truly escape it.

"Yes," I mutter in reply, my answer almost being lost in the wind. Arbutus flies closer to me, sensing my distress despite his penchant for growing distracted and his childish temperament. He shan't ask me questions I can't handle, I think. He'll protect me.

I turn my head forward and beat my wings with more intensity, feeling the air ruffle through my fire and whip my mane across my gaze. "How far is the Throat?" I ask suddenly, changing the subject with a clear desire not to return to the previous one. My tail flew back behind me like a banner in the wind, but I longed to pull it closer, to wrap it around myself and hide once more from that awful and ugly truth.

Hidden Account
Phantom

trust your heart if the
seas catch fire

Hesitation. Reluctance. A hint of coldness. All at the mention of Isilme. She wished she could retract the words right then and there and just quietly assume that was where she was from, although her reaction certainly verified the assumption. The verbal ascertainment came soon after, and Cassiopeia scolded herself inwardly, noting the mare's desire not to dwell much longer on such a matter. How careless of her. "Forgive me. I didn't mean to intrude." She affirmed the words solemnly and with honest sincerity, for she truly hadn't meant to commit Tares to a state of distress. Her intentions were purely innocent.

She noticed her anxiousness to move onto an antonymous subject, and she answered her question with little hesitation. "Not too far. We'll be there soon." She assured.

[ ooc ; We can wrap this up here if you'd like. ^^ ]

Deceased
Alex
[[Sounds good. :3]]