the Rift

Hatching [Tares]

Tares Posts: 74
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 14.3 hh :: 38 months
Alex

I've rested patiently with the egg by the heart of the land, defending it from predators and its fate as prey, and at last I awaken to stirrings within its shell. It rests against my neck, soft, pulsing, and hot, but the fire within it does not burn. With wide, curious eyes of yellow, I watch the egg as it begins to hatch in a most peculiar manner. Light pulses through the egg's fragile shell, and I feel it shudder against my black coat as if it is mimicking the beat of several hearts. And yet it seems frail, like a new fire just starting for the first time. At once the egg bursts up in flames, and instinctively I shuffle back on weak legs to avoid a burn. But the fire subsides and leaves only ash.

There is a moment of pure defeat when it dawns upon me that what I had been protecting was doomed to die from the very start. But I cannot leave it there, reduced to nothing but ash- sadly I nose at the pile, catching the gray flecks in my beard and nostrils, smelling their wild scent. Devastation washes over me in waves until I am left utterly alone and in despair.

And then there is a shift in the pile, and I feel warmth press against my face. I open my weary eyes slowly, and my ears swivel at the sound of life. Nuzzled in the crook of my neck, crawling from the ash, rests a newborn phoenix. For the first time since I have come to this land, I feel truly blessed; to be gifted with this creature, built in the image of the god of fire himself... there is truly no greater sign that I am not alone.

And just as he looks at me and finds home, I turn and lock eyes with his beady black ones and see a companion. There is a strong bond between us after only once glance, and suddenly I know more about him than I have ever known of anyone else for as long as I have lived. I need not name the phoenix, for he has his own. I can see it reflected in his eyes, traced in the ash from which he was born, spelled out in the flames that adorn him.

"Arbutus," I whisper with a fondness I have never before expressed. I reach my head out to nuzzle the little bird, and whinny softly as his flames spike up with excitement and his heat washes over me with mutual joy. I recognize the name from somewhere- it takes a few moments to recall it is from my scholarly pursuits in the woodlands. The name of a flowering tree that had grown in my home. I pull back my gaze to look upon his beauty, and from my lips comes the gentle words, the meaning of the name; "I love only thee."

[Thank you so much admins! The phoenix will be a male named Arbutus, for the records. This thread is now open to anyone that would like to meet Arbutt and/or Tares- would you mind changing the title for me so it includes open? Thanks again <3]

Messages In This Thread
Hatching [Tares] - by Random Event - 07-09-2012, 09:33 PM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Tares - 07-09-2012, 10:33 PM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Cassiopeia - 07-10-2012, 12:40 AM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Tares - 07-10-2012, 10:03 AM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Cassiopeia - 07-10-2012, 12:18 PM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Tares - 07-11-2012, 11:14 PM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Cassiopeia - 07-12-2012, 01:13 AM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Tares - 07-16-2012, 11:48 PM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Tares - 07-17-2012, 09:26 PM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Cassiopeia - 07-17-2012, 03:01 AM
RE: Hatching [Tares] - by Cassiopeia - 07-18-2012, 04:19 PM