the Rift

Smoke Signals | Open
Ascended Helovian

Gaucho The Wildfire Posts: 1,004
Deceased atk: 8.5 | def: 11.5 | dam: 8
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 17.2 :: 12 HP: 85 | Buff: PINNACLE
Mara :: Black Mamba Snake :: Paralyze & Vorsa :: Plain Zephyr :: Phoenix Odd

Gravedigger, when you dig my grave can you make it shallow? So that I can feel the rain..

The walk had taken far longer than it should have, and yet Gaucho didn’t mind. Although his primitive mind couldn’t rationalize it, deep down, he was appreciative of the slower pace. After joining the Throat, he had put himself on constant patrols, and had partaken in countless spars to try to prove his worth and support his herd in the only way he knew how. After the General died - Ass-uyewn (or something) - Gaucho hadn’t seen much of his painted leader, My-dus. As such, he had been patrolling their borders even more diligently, not wanting any harm to befall his herd, while his leaders were mourning.

With a great black wing stretched across Vesta, the bay did everything he could to ensure that she was able to lean on him as much or little as required. He sensed...what could only be described in his simple mind as a distance between them, regardless of how closer their bodies were. In actuality, he was simply picking up on her hesitance to accept his help, and possibly a subconscious reaction to the air of defeat she felt; of course Gaucho could not verbalize or understand any of this, and merely perceived it as a distance. Regardless of his simplicity, he didn't mind. Vesta was to be a part of his herd, and as such, that meant she was family. Although he had not yet formally met the Sultana of these lands, having only seen her at Azzuen's funeral, he shared that ideology with her: The herd was family. And Gaucho would do whatever was necessary to protect and care for them; even for ones as new as Vesta.

Already the sun had warmed the Throat to sweltering hot temperatures, and even though the bay had worked hard to condition himself to stand the heat, patches of sweat still darkened his coat. Breathing heavily as they finally moved into the Herd land, Gaucho directed Vesta towards the naturally occurring lake, assuming that they could both use the opportunity to cool off and refresh themselves. "Home." Gaucho said, his deep voice laced with pride as he nodded an antlered head to the red lands around them. "Dragon's Throat." He said awkwardly, leaving far too much space between his syllables.

Image Credits
Please tag me in every post! Magic/Force is allowed on Gaucho at any time.

Note Posts: 183
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.3hh :: 6 years Buff: NOVICE
Sabel :: Iberian Lynx :: Stormcall bry
[Image: 511873d5cd44c]

Note

Note had been doing a terrible job of socializing within the herd lately, and Sabel thoroughly disapproved. She loved horses; the company of anyone, really. Her lack of sight was no obstacle to Sabel, for her dusty bay companion was her sight. He led her, guided her through a world of darkness, often sending her images of the world through their bond. Although she loved Note with every fiber of her being, he was simply not enough.

The stallion trudged reluctantly through the Throat, sweat dripping from his brow. He hated TallSun in this area, it often made him forget snow even existed. Sand seemed to constantly be getting in Note's eye, annoyance rising high in his thoughts and actions. Sabel purred to calm him, rubbing her little head against his withers. She was still merely a kitten.

Once the pair had reached the oasis, a new figure sprang into Note's vision. Curiosity replaced his thoughts of annoyance as he held his head high and trotted to the monstrous form of Gaucho, a stallion he had recently sparred with. Sabel was now the annoyed one, a growl escaping her little pink lips. She at least wanted to know what was going on.

"Gaucho," Note called happily, a smile plastered on his dark muzzle as he ignored the growls of Sabel, "how've you been?" The first thing he took notice of was the gray mare next to the stallion. She didn't seem like much of a threat, so he simply smiled at her as well.

"Speech"

Ascended Helovian

Gravedigger, when you dig my grave can you make it shallow? So that I can feel the rain..

[Not sure if the snake reference was supposed to be to his companion? He doesn't have her yet...I've been lazy, but maybe I'll have her find the egg in this Thread, since you've already seen a snake? :D]

Gaucho watched with a flat stare as the dusty form of Note began to solidify, as he trotted closer. The brute noticed some sort of tufted-cat perched on his back, and grunted. He had never encountered anyone in Helovia before who had a companion, and was unsure what to make of it. Was it a blessing? Or a curse? If ever he got one, not that he knew the means to achieving this goal, he would want something relatively self sufficient...As his gaze fell to the snake slithering on the ground, he grunted again. Yes, a snake would be a suitable companion...Perhaps he would keep an eye out for a stray egg...

Raising his antlered brow, he nodded slightly as Note approached. His wither had scabbed over, and the flesh was no longer raw from where Note's lightning at seared through him. It was a powerful attack that Note had used, and Gaucho both respected that sort of ability in another, and was simultaneously annoyed by it. Perhaps he would hold council with the elders of this land, the God of the Sun, and ask that if his blood ran more freely, if his attack could be strengthened. Gaucho pressed Vesta closer to his side protectively; even though the mare would soon be a member of this herd, she was nevertheless his charge.

"Gaucho good." He replied simply, not returning the question to Note - clearly the dusty stallion was alright, if he was out and about? Then again, perhaps this was one of those social customs that he continued to fail at understanding. Nodding towards the steel-gray mare at his side, he exhaled softly. "Note is brother of Throat" He advised, before turning to Note. "This is Vesta."

Oh Gaucho. So helpful with introductions.

Image Credits

Vesta Posts: 15
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 5 years Buff: NOVICE
Time
They drove your voice from your throat

Vesta moved along next to Gaucho, leaning further into him as they grew closer to the territory he lived in. Upon their meeting he had mentioned that the Throat was not far, and he lied. It was a hard travel, Vesta needing to stop several times, especially as the heat of Tallsun increased as they made it to the desert. She was glad when Gaucho finally stopped and introduced her new place of residence. Weary sea-foam eyes surveyed the area. The desert was dry and hot, but there seemed to be a water source close by. Vesta snorted shortly, feeling too tired to speak. Closing her eyes briefly she shifted her weight to stand on her own, no longer leaning against Gaucho but still under the protection of his wing should she need it.

The sound of another creature approaching was not noticed entirely by her, but the deep voice of the new stallion made her eyes snap open. The cat upon his back growls and Vesta pins her ears against her head, narrowing her eyes darkly at the new creatures. No, at this moment, she does not look like a thread, but Vesta is a hurricane in her full strength. She is not to be reckoned with, for she is trained to take down her opponent quickly. Gaucho introduces the new stallion as another member of the Throat but Vesta dismisses him quickly, mentally at least. Gaucho takes the liberty of introducing her name and the mare snorts in compliance, feeling Gaucho's wing tighten over her form.

The protective nature of the primal beast is something new to her, and she feel incredibly uncomfortable and hot now underneath his dark veil. "Gaucho, let me stand alone." The mare spoke simply, hoping Gaucho would understand her words and let her feed off of her own strength--or what was left of it. Gaucho had promised a healer in these lands, and she needed it quickly. Drawing upon her voice once more, she expressed her concerns, "Gaucho, you said there was a healer here. I also want to meet your leader." Vesta wondered if the male, who she now understood to be called Note, before them was the healer--certainly he was not the herd leader, he did not carry himself appropriately.

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

I'LL WEAVE YOUR NAMES INTO MY RIBCAGE,</style>
lock your hearts inside my chest.</style>

"Welcome to the Dragon's Throat, sister," I say, my hooves touching down on the warm sands, their grains whipping about me as the wind pounds against the floor, catching up with me and slamming headfirst into the desert, escaping into a thousand little laughs that spread out in waves of red clouds. My dark eyes look over her battered form with cool precision, but I am no doctor. I can tell that she is battle-worn, but that is not exactly what I am interested in. "If it is the leader you are looking for, you have found her," my voice callous and rough, even as a gritty smirk tugs upon my masculine features. I nod toward Note, giving him a firm greeting of Commander to her soldier, before turning keen eyes back to our newest member.

There was the ghosts of strength in her figure, the dead limbs which hung in tired array around her body. In the dark locks around her face, I could see the torrent of storms that had whipped and battered her, yet still, this mare of grey ice was here to stare back at me. Fire rode along in her eyes and touched my heart. I smile. This one was here to stay.

I glance over at Gaucho, who stands rather protectively near the mare's smile, and offer him a brief nod as well. I knew his name, knew that he had undergone many spars with my warriors and bested several, but had never actually spoken to the bay who appeared more primordial than any creature I had met before. "I am Kri," I offer my title to those in my company, but more especially to the mare who had just arrived. "If you tell me your name, I'll tell you where you can find a healer around here."
""

KRI the Resolute</style>
I WILL GIVE YOUR HEART A PLACE TO REST AFTER EVERYTHING YOU HAD HAS TURNED AND LEFT.</style>

Note Posts: 183
Hidden Account
Stallion :: Pegasus :: 15.3hh :: 6 years Buff: NOVICE
Sabel :: Iberian Lynx :: Stormcall bry
[Image: 511873d5cd44c]

Note

The mare at Gaucho's side, Vesta he said her name was, seemed quite annoyed. Or maybe she was just tired. Note couldn't tell much of her state when she was tucked underneath Gaucho's wing. Sabel had nimbly crawled up Note's crest and now stood between his ears, her mouth hanging open, smelling the air to memorize the scents of the new horses.

Note nodded slowly at Vesta, listening to her voiced concerns. Before he had a chance to reassure the mare Kri was upon the horses. Sabel, sensing the respective air the mare carried, backed off of Note's poll to sit on her bonded's withers. The dusty bay then dipped his head to his leader, for it was what you were to do when you came to meet the leader of your herd.

"Hello, Kri," Note spoke respectively while Sabel closed her eyes slowly in acknowledgement of the new horse. Her sightless orbs were empty of emotion as she sat, perched upon her bonded. Though her sitting was not long, Sabel quickly jumped up and began to pace on Note's back. He shifted uneasily as she did so, feeling her eager emotions. She was bored of the place and ready for adventure, but Note was clearly not in the mood.

It was peculiar how Sabel was so incredibly rambunctious while her beloved Note was the opposite. Their bond made nothing easy, antagonistic emotions flowing from one to the other. It complicated what they were going to do for the day, or for the moment they were living in, but Note was the one with the eyes, therefor he had the ultimate say in their lives.

"Speech"

Ascended Helovian

As Vesta moved to stand on her own, the brute was unsure if this was a response to Note's presence - her not wanting to appear weak before another member of the herd - or whether she truly felt fit to hold her own. The walk had been hot and bothersome, and in his own simply way, Gaucho very much doubted that it was the latter. Nevertheless, Gaucho very often took words at face value, and if the steely mare wanted to stand alone, then stand alone she shall. Gaucho dipped his head as she mentioned a healer, frowning slightly. The name was so hard to say..."Ommmnnnee" He attempted, finding it difficult for his tongue to switch between the mmm and nnn sound, sort of muddling the two together.

As Kri arrives, Gaucho falls respectfully silent. He has only encountered the mare once, at the General's funeral site; an inappropriate place for first introductions. He was sure that if Levi hadn't told her immediately when the grullo brought Gaucho to the Throat, that My-dus would have updated her at some point, about who he was. He returned her nod stoically, his blue-grey eyes falling over her compact, muscular form appreciatively. In his minds eye, he could see that lithe body colliding with his in the skies, not having the ability to send him flying as a larger body might, but having the density to seriously bruise. Leader's were always envisioned as such large and daunting creatures, that as his eyes finished taking in her stocky figure, an unconscious smile played on his lips.

As she spoke, he realized that once again, he would likely have to wait before he could speak freely with the Sultana. He was anxious to swear his allegiance to her in person, finding it quite strange that he had someone slipped between the cracks, having been accepted into the herd without first meeting their leader. Then again, perhaps the patrols My-dus had sent him on, were merely a test to see if he would truly be welcomed here? Such thoughts were far too complicated for the bay; all he knew was that he couldn't let too much time slip away before declaring his loyalty in person. Especially not with the threat of Teee-oh, that Aryel had warned him of.

Image Credits

Vesta Posts: 15
Deceased
Mare :: Pegasus :: 15 hh :: 5 years Buff: NOVICE
Time
They drove your voice from your throat

It is not but minutes before her request gains a foothold. A small, muddy brown pegasus swoops down to join the small, strange group. Blinking, Vesta immediately notices the command that this mare holds, a demand for respect apparent in the very way her eyes flick between each of them. Instantly, Vesta knew that she had been brought into a home that she would enjoy. The commanding mare had yet to speak to her, but already Vesta pledged loyalty to her and the Dragon's Throat. Maybe it was idiotic, maybe it was wise, however, that was yet to be determined. Vesta stands silently there, an effort and battle all on its own to stay standing, as Kri speaks. The other stallion greets the leader and Vesta, wisely, dips her head in as much of a bow as she could muster, but her act is respectful and submissive all the same.

"I am Vesta. The black based grey mare does not give details into her life or her reasons for standing here now, for all Kri requested was her name. Vesta, by nature, was a private mare, and if not questioned directly for it on this day she would not give information about herself. Shifting her weight, with an uncomfortable-looking grimace, Vesta lifted her eyes to lock onto Kri's. The silver bay had called her sister, and Vesta felt a familiar fire rise inside of her.

Gaucho's attempt at speaking brings Vesta back to reality and she flicks her bright eyes in his direction. "Omni?" the warrior-esque female asks hesitantly, lifting a single brow in question of the primal beast. Blinking, Vesta mused slightly over his broken, earthy speech. Maybe, when she was physically strong again, she would teach him to speak like an advanced creature. Until then, she decided she would silently tease him. Yes, that would make her aching muscles feel much better.

Kri the Resolute Posts: 243
Hidden Account
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.3hh :: 10 Buff: NUMB
Boom Boom!

I'LL WEAVE YOUR NAMES INTO MY RIBCAGE,</style>
lock your hearts inside my chest.</style>

"Vesta," I breathe the name out into the air, a smile following it sharply. I could tell that the mare was having difficulty remaining standing, but she still had the proper manners to show respect for me. It was almost laughable that I should be treated as such. I remember, in my old home, how many times I had been called a nosey brat by my elders. Now, however, I had started to become accustomed to wearing a crown, despite the fact that I am not well suited for such a lofty position. I am, have always been, a warrior at heart. Diplomacy still finds no home in my chest, though I will protect those I swear fealty to with my life. Maybe this made me somewhat suitable to lead, for I viewed each life as worthy of my protection, so long as they were loyal to my family, this herd.

I smile as Gaucho attempts to say my daughter's name, almost breaking into a laugh. I knew that the gruff warrior was far from fluent in speech, at least the small encounters we have had together, but he seemed to have trouble with what most considered an easy name. Two syllables, easy sounds, nothing challenging. Unless, of course, you were Gaucho. I look to the warrior warmly. "Gaucho," I say, addressing him firmly. "Look after our new sister while I fetch her some help." Looking to Note, I give him a curt nod. "You too. Keep them out of trouble." Spoken like a middle-aged woman to her kids. What have I become?

With that, I turn tail and launch myself in the air, a gust of wind traveling from seemingly nowhere to lift me as I rise, soaring onward toward the Oasis. My daughter was thankfully a predictable creature when it came to these things. Either she was out gathering plants or she would be by the pool of water, likely singing to that inane bird who makes too much racket.
""

[ Kri out. Onni will be sliding by sometime during this next round of posts~ ]

KRI the Resolute</style>
I WILL GIVE YOUR HEART A PLACE TO REST AFTER EVERYTHING YOU HAD HAS TURNED AND LEFT.</style>