the Rift

Little one. [Companion hatching thread, open]

Aryel Posts: 229
Dragon's Throat Soldier
Mare :: Pegasus :: 14.4 :: 4
FennecFyre

(Just doing this so Aryel can get her companion IC, anyone who wants to come daww at a baby bat is welcome to, otherwise this is just going to be a one-poster. Btw bry, Oras is mentioned asleep in this post, hope you're okay with that. I'll edit if you want me to.)

The full moon's light washed across the desert in a silent wave, disguising everything in shadows and silver. Some distance from the oasis, a large mess of brambles and vines, presided over by a couple of palm trees, leaned against a large sand dune. If one was to draw near, they would notice a trail of hoofprints that went in and out of the bushes, marking this as a place of frequent visit. Coming closer, they would see that an entrance had been hollowed out in the bushes, large enough for a horse to squeeze in without scratching themselves. Within, the ground dips to create a den of sorts, the floor a bed of soft sand. Two amulets, one an Earth emerald, the other a Time amethyst, hang from two sturdy branches, twinkling faintly in the night. A third amulet, a golden gem of Sun's blood, rests around the neck of a blue mare, her lowered head tilted to the side to rest against her splayed blue mane that lies across her folded legs. Wings, deepest oily blue in color, are folded at her sides. Snuggled up against one wing is a little black foal, the stub of horn on his brow marking him as a unicorn, not a pegasus like his guardian. The two are deep asleep, and alone, aside from the small brown egg that lies snuggled in a bed of sand across from them.

The mare had found this egg in a bed of marshes near the oasis one day, alone. She would've left it, if not for the strange compelling urge to take it and protect it. She did so, leaving the egg safe in her den, in a place where the sunlight filtered down onto it.

Now, it began to stir.

It began as a tapping noise, a slight shifting as the creature inside moved. Feeling a pull on her mind of all things, the mare awoke, watching the egg curiously, somehow knowing that she was meant to be present at it's hatching. She raised her head, watching as the egg moved again, then again, then again. A crack appeared, and she leaned forward, eagerly awaiting the creature's arrival into the world. A little claw poked out, strained against the thin eggshell, and the egg shattered with a spiderweb of cracks, leaving it's former captive huddled on the ground. A doglike face focused on Aryel, bright black eyes blinking. One thumb claw on a leathery wing stretched out, tentatively, to try and pull itself towards the mare. The animal was grey except for the ruff of red fur around it's neck, and it shone faintly with egg fluid. The pegasus tilted her head, perplexed. A bat? What kind of bat hatched from an egg? Apparently unsatisfied with her inaction, it made a plaintive "naaa" sound, and the mare snorted as she felt the mental pull again. She reached her snout forward, protective instincts already rising, and allowed the bat to climb up her snout, onto the bridge of her face, and between her ears, where it settled contently.

Well, it would need a name if it was going to stay. The mare flicked her ears, trying to think of a fitting name for her companion. Rufus? Koda? The answer came in a quiet, timid thought that seem like hers. It was less of a straight word, and more of a concept. Java. The bat wanted to be called Java. Then Java he would be.

The pull was replaced by a feeling of hunger that she could tell was emanating from the bat, and the mare stood up, careful not to disturb the foal next to her. He murmured in his sleep, but did not wake. She would introduce the two in the morning. She turned her attention back to the flying fox, trying to figure out what he would eat. The bat seemed to be thinking of sweet flavors, oddly enough. Well, there were flowers aplenty in the desert even in Tallsun, and she knew a few locations where fruit grew. She scaled the shallow slope out of the den to give her new friend a first meal.

Walk walk walk walk.
"Talk talk talk talk."

ARYEL</style>
In blood and honor, we will prevail.</style>

image by gpabill @ flickr.com
Thanks for the good times, and no hard feelings for the bad times.

Vicer and Aryel's new threads never happened.

Xylia Posts: N/A
Unregistered
:: :: ::

XYLIA

Just as another was, I was woken by the faint presence, a presence heavily reminiscent of the immaterial spiritual invaders of the body; not a ghost, or spirit, but a god, a divine immortal being who saw little but a good pastime invading the body of a creature, no matter how withered or youthful the said creature might be. Yet the thin line seeming to twist my consciousness was certainly not a god, as it didn't keep the passionate feeling of arrogance reminiscient in them all, regardless of who they were. Rain gods were quiet, thunder gods brutal, ocean gods unpredictable, sun gods good-natured, earth gods logical, and river gods strange, but they all had the sin of vanity. Never was there an exception to their egoistic ways.

It was something one simply learned to suffer through when seized by the gods. Their arrogance, their pride, their hardly sufferable all-knowingness; the exploding dams of memories that flooded the mind upon possession. Possession was no concept to me- it was (had been, not that I was aware of it) a very real, very dangerous thing that could swiftly kill you within a heartbeat or two, or even worse. Shred your mind for example; incinerate you; one could always implode through the force of the memories; stop breathing. Whatever you thought of.

But this sense I cautiously felt out was just a thread over the obliviating powers of the gods, a delicate thread still being woven. Blind, deaf, and lost, I rose to my feet, long slender tail brushing the sand undoubtedly turned milk-white from the lack of the sun, and stepped forward, wings searching gently for the orb I had found many weeks ago, the orb I thought was an egg, and imagined as a creamy white. In my silence to the world, every delicate touch and scent portrayed an image to me, a clear vision that I filled in with my own touches of color and hearing.

I did not see, nor smell, the mare far away doing the same, in the desert home. I had hidden my pale egg by the wet sand shores of the ocean, buried it with painstaking slowness, and now, out of some intuition, had removed it the day earlier. I tilted my head down to it, let my soft, long-whiskered muzzle rove over it, the satiny smooth eggshell.

Eggshell?

I hissed in a breath, and searched around for the small animal in it with increasing desperation, until I found it through the delicate thread weaving between us. I felt it, the smooth dampness of a wiry coat, broad hind legs, a thick rudder-like tail, a dog-like face, in mild surprise. I didn't think dogs hatched from eggs. Who knows what games the gods do play, however? Perhaps they fool with me. I just wish I could see this small animal, beyond just feeling it, and just like that a flare of color bursts up in my blinded eyes. Pale tan fur. White stripes. Black stripes. A massive jaw. Then the image fades, despite my desperate attempts to cling to it. How? Did the animal, whose connection to me tentative, send it to me? Had I finally found a way to cheat the gods out of stealing my senses?

"Ildiko," I breath, with a slight grin. I didn't have to fumble around in the dark looking for a name- I knew. The boy, the pup or cub, liked it. I could feel it. Ildiko, a deraritive of Iris, the goddess of vision, and Dirko, the king of life. It was perfect.

Ancient || Dragon Throat || Pegasus