the Rift

Styling Posts & Perspectives Resolution

Psyche the DarkEmpress Posts: 380
Deceased
Mare :: Unicorn :: 15.3 hh :: 8 (ages in Orangemoon) Buff: ENDURE
RayoDeSoleil
Boom is completely right.

I would definitely suggest playing around with styles and perspectives! I've had to do that with a few of my characters to really get their voice to fit.

For example - with Psyche, I played around briefly with present-tense third person. It didn't fit her at all. But when I did it with Quilyan, it was perfect for him. Those were the voices that they wanted to speak in. I think a lot of it almost subconsciously has to do with their personalities - both of them are more withdrawn and don't really talk about emotion and whatnot, so it doesn't necessarily show through in an obvious way in my writing. It's a lot more subtle.

But with Sohalia, I started her in third-person and ended up with no muse for her. She's such an open, honest, sweet character that third person severely restricted her personality. But immediately when I switched to first person, she became my second most played character after Psyche.

Maybe I'm crazy drawing a link between personality and writing style, but it's just my perspective on stuff.

Something I suggested to my sister is coming up with a situation and writing out several responses to it - try one in third person, try one in first person, try one in present tense, past tense, whatever - try all different combinations until you find what feels 'right' for that character. And keep in mind that your characters don't all have to be written the same - the variation is what makes them all unique!

Hopefully this helps <3
[Image: psycheicon.png]

Please feel free to tag me in all replies!
Use of force and/or magic (with the exception of death) is allowed at all times.

Messages In This Thread
Styling Posts & Perspectives Resolution - by Sumati - 02-17-2013, 11:57 PM
RE: Styling Posts & Perspectives Resolution - by Sumati - 02-18-2013, 12:22 AM
RE: Styling Posts & Perspectives Resolution - by Psyche - 02-18-2013, 12:42 AM