the Rift

nightheart & frostshade
Ascended Helovian

Mauja the Frozen Light Posts: 1,392
Outcast atk: 6.5 | def: 10.5 | dam: 7.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17.2 :: 14 HP: 79.5 | Buff: HUNTER
Irma :: Snowy Owl :: Terrorize & Diego :: Eurasian Eagle-Owl :: Rage Neo
Feb 4th, takes place after the herd meeting. For d'Artagnan and his lovely Aramis. <3

It was mid-morning in their hidden vale, the sun slowly gathering warmth as the hours wore on. Stark shadows were cast upon the ground of lush grasses, and Mauja shifted uncomfortably where he stood, his body remembering the heat of the last Tallsun all too well. Still, this time, a good roll in the slush of the Steppe was much closer to home, and he supposed he ought to be grateful for that. Truth to be told, he still missed the Edge, but there was nothing he could do about that now. In fact, there was not much at all he could do until he regained his strength, both mentally and physically. He had to lay in wait, bide his time, see what this new herd Psyche had hatched was — how the power scales were tipped. He did not envy her her position, but if they were to to somehow start butting heads.. factions, wars, backstabbers. He felt like groaning. This morning was not for thinking of such stupid things, old worries come to haunt him again.

As no more questions arose, nor any reason to stay as a throng was found, the herd began to filter out, back to their daily lives, but Mauja remained where he was with Aviya on one side, Mesec and d'Artagnan on the other. Blowing out a tired sigh through his nostrils he leaned in closer to the red doctor, trying to not squish the gangly hybrid youth too much, and rested his warm muzzle against d'Artagnan's shoulder for a moment. "Come on," he said after a second or so, giving his head a shake and pulling back. He did not thing that the Time Mender shared his ability to feel sad, and knew that seeming to mope too much would probably just earn him a whack on the head to "beat it out of him" or something. Smiling humorlessly to himself he took a step forward, carefully avoiding the playful pup, and stretched up his neck, pulling loose the muscles of his back. "I've got quite a story to tell ya, doctor." Flicking his white tail against the Nightshade's side (and hopefully not too much in Mesec's face), Mauja did like the rest and started to walk away from the meeting.

angels, they fell first, but I'm still here

d'Artagnan the Nightshade Posts: 364
Aurora Basin General atk: 6 | def: 9 | dam: 6.5
Stallion :: Unicorn :: 17hh :: 12 HP: 68.5 | Buff: ENDURE
Aramis :: Common Hellhound :: Hellfire & Superspeed imi

The herd meeting continued a little longer and d'Artagnan began to doze, wedged between friends and family. Muttering something about being to warm whilst swatting the flies away with his dark tail. Drifting thoughts soon formed the image of Kou, who had been absent during the meeting and made the shade wonder where she had wandered off to again. His Nurse who either never turned up or was always late. Of course, she would say that he was just as bad if not worse than her to which d'Artagnan would protest whilst she neatly wrapped him around her finger. Romance didn't come easy to the rigid Doctor of the Plague, yet Kou seemed to get what she wanted out of him every time. The Nightshade was truly confounded.

Attention slowly turned back to the meeting. It lasted not much longer and soon the gathering was adjured with the masses flittering away to whatever holes they all lived in. Or so d'Artagnan idly presumed. Ears twitched to the Frostheart's sigh and the shade gave him a curious look as the white giant leaned closer, touching his shoulder whilst beckoning him. The Mender reached to nudge his children in farewell before following Mauja in a gentle stride, gaze speaking volumes of his interest in his friends travels, but there was a darker grin behind that curious facade. "I hope it's an interesting one, I have better things to do than hear about some bewitching mare who played you into a frolicsome night."

An amused smile spread entirely across his face now as he remembered that evening when Lotus had quite easily tamed the King of the Edge.

The morning drew on and d'Artagnan fell silent, breathlessly awaiting the tale to be told about the mysterious disappearance of Mauja the Frostheart. Surely it had to be better than the bland meeting they had just had and the shade did truly want to know what happened to his long time friend, what had drawn him away from his herd that had so adored him. Even in defeat.

texture by elenmire@deviantart

my heart’s an endless winter
              filled with rage

Use force at your own peril ;) please tag me!
Ascended Helovian

The Ice King was a few steps ahead, his black-rimmed ears flickering back to catch the sound of the Doctor moving, the scuffle and pause as he said 'goodbye' to his children for now. He'd see them soon enough again, but Mauja paused where he was, to look over his shoulder at Snö — she was displaying a lot of qualities he'd rather she didn't, an almost haughty air around her. Then again, this was a crowd. Few acted themselves in crowds. They didn't see eye to eye on several things, and he'd literally turned his back on her when she lingered over Monster's broken body, so he guessed he deserved that. And his other child... Mauja's blue eyes fell upon d'Artagnan again, feeling a stab of self-pitying envy that he had all his children around him, alive and well. Where Tamlin was, no one knew, least of all Mauja. Had Snö "disposed" of him while he was gone, unable to protect the appaloosa boy he'd never really meant to conceive?

You do a lot of things which you don't mean.

Mauja sighed, and as the steps of d'Artagnan revealed that he was moving, the alabaster friesian moved again. The sun beat down on his back, and with another flick of his seldom-still tail, he set out for the nearest slope, where he knew they'd be able to find some sort of cave, and shade. Again, his ears flickered to the sound of his friend's voice, and his immediate reaction was another humorless smile. Lotus, of course, hadn't been at the meeting, and he'd not yet been lucky enough to see her and demand to know what the hell had happened to his son. "She played well, don't you agree?" he answered with a slight hint of mischief in his voice, picking a path which seemed promising. It'd been easy to say, I'll tell you later, but now that "later" was actually approaching... He felt the words settle like rocks in his throat, and he kept wishing someone would cry out for either of them, or that a giant bird would swoop down and carry him off so that he wouldn't have to speak. How would it even sound? "Oh look, I was off in some alternate reality with alternate personalities!" He ground his teeth together. Could anything, short of living in it yourself, describe the stress and terror of never knowing how someone would greet you, of never knowing how the real horses were faring..?

Snorting, he led them into a slight cave, nothing more than deep enough for a few horses, and the clipped noise of his hooves against the rock floor ceased. Whipping around to face his friend, Mauja briefly let his eyes scour the mountainside, but found nothing out of order. It was as if he'd do anything, still, to put off talking about it: sigh, flick his tail, cock one hip and rest a hind hoof on its tip... Most of all, he was afraid it'd come out sounding like a horribly stupid thing, or not at all traumatic. That d'Artagnan wouldn't take it seriously.

"I was talking to Psyche, actually, when it happened." It was rather suddenly that he began to speak, and he felt that if he didn't just force himself to start talking about it now, he'd just shut up and never get it out. "I don't know what she told you, but for all I remember, something dark and cold just.. took me away. It grabbed me, and... when I figured out what'd happened, I was alone. Mostly, I was in a Helovia which looked like ours... but aside from that, nothing was the same." He sighed, struck a crag in the floor with his frosted hoof as if to distract himself. "Sometimes, the inhabitants knew me, sometimes not, but one thing was certain, and that was that they kept changing. Their stories and futures kept changing. Sometimes, Psyche was all warm and loving, sometimes she was demented, sometimes she didn't exist at all. I think Deimos came looking for a home twice in a day, having different backgrounds both times. I thought.. that'd I'd fallen into a coma, or something. Irma was with me, but then, something happened, and our bond went silent... and I was fairly sure I'd died, for real." He shook his head slightly. "But I found no release, and after a while, Irma came back to me. She kept denying I was dead, but it's hard to believe when you're stuck in time. Sometimes, it teleported me back in time. I've seen the Throat was a lush forest, the ocean lapping closer to shore.. trees, out on the Steppe..." A small smile curled his lips. "Once, in the Throat, something happened and Onni, their shaman, could see me. I think I recruited a mare in the Threshold, too.. Her name was Vy, but I haven't seen her since, so I was probably hallucinating. And then, one day, I found the mirror cave, walked into the mirror, and came back. It was the most anti-climactic return ever, for I'd just been toddling around in my desolation and whatever kept me out there decided I could come back." Some part of him would've preferred to perform some feat to be let back, but no. Moping around was enough.

Slowly, Mauja craned his head, looking at d'Artagnan from the corner of his blue eye and wondering what he'd say. It was probably for the better that he'd left out the part of breaking down and crying in front of Psyche.

d'Artagnan chuckled at his friend's observation of Lotus and proffered his head in amused agreement. Not that he knew how well she 'played' the shade hadn't stuck around long enough, he remembered her intoxicating flowers like it was yesterday. Even the memory made him nauseous to the point of shivering, it was best he left than feeling the wrath of Kou later. He walked in step to the Frostheart, enjoying the companionship after a long time of not seeing him and the freedom to talk with a friend he trusted. There was a pause between words, like the snowy stud was trying to gather in his thoughts and think of the best way to deliver his story. The Nightshade was patient for the most part, though a part of him silently wanted to shake the story out of him as his curiosity deepened. Aramis bounded on ahead, nose going to floor and tail straight as he scented out his next lunch. Drool beginning to form around blackened chops that he left in pools behind him.

He listened without interrupting the story, part of him wanting to laugh out loud at the absurdity of it and rather blandly point out that it was entirely possible Mauja had been drunk. Half worried the Frostheart might have eaten one of his delusional poisons and it was all his fault. Another part of him argued that it was so obscure and fantastical that it was in fact true, and Mauja had been caught in another dimension. The Time God who created their land sprung to mind at the thought of a different world, maybe Mauja had become a God's favourite toy for a while until they grew bored a tossed him aside. d'Artagnan had not seen a Vy in the Basin, but that was hardly anything of note, since he tended to wander around their herd lands at night when everyone was asleep. When his friend stopped speaking d'Artagnan was silent for a moment, sorting out the jumbled thoughts that danced around his convoluted mind.

"And I thought I was the insane one, are you sure Psyche didn't knock you a few times on your head? I wouldn't be surprised with your track record with mares." His voice was full of jest but his eyes watched his old friend with a slight concern, wondering why the brute seemed to be so down about it but the shade said nothing. He didn't know how such a strange experience effected one's mind and he hoped if anything was alarmingly wrong, that Mauja would've confided in him. Instead he smiled and bumped the Frostheart's alabaster shoulder. "I'm not entirely sure where you went or why you were sent there. Maybe there was a purpose to it, or maybe the Gods were playing tricks on you, but I'm glad you're back. This herd needs you, whether you see it or not."

The shade was never really good at comforting words, they were rather foreign on his tongue and often it showed. d'Artagnan had been with the herd of unicorns since the beginning, watching them fall and grow again. It was also a given fact, he felt stronger by the side of his spotted friend, watching their little family climb up into something greater, hopefully giving them goals to aspire to before passing on to the next life.

filled with rage

Ascended Helovian

It didn't surprise him that d'Artagnan was quiet for a while, but it didn't ease the anxiety he felt. What if his friend did laugh, and say he was barking mad? (But, then, where else would he have been for those months? Wandering Helovia like a raving lunatic? Surely someone would've known...) Mauja kept most of his attention someplace else, but eventually let his eyes slide back to his old blood-red friend. He knew that the Doctor would speak soon, and vaguely wondered if he'd be offered a remedy for insanity, or perhaps something to knock out his memories.. but on the other hand, slightly mad as some claimed d'Art was, it wouldn't surprise him if he believed him.. at some point. Perhaps not today, perhaps not tomorrow, but sooner or later: Mauja had never been one to lie in private, and surely d'Artagnan knew that. Surely he knew that Mauja wouldn't make a story up.

"And I thought I was the insane one, are you sure Psyche didn't knock you a few times on your head? I wouldn't be surprised with your track record with mares."

For a moment Mauja just gawked at him, his eyes wide as if he couldn't believe what he was hearing. Then, he snorted, a fairly thinly masked laugh. His track record with mares — that was the second time in a short span of time d'Artagnan had made a mention to his err love life. Had he been away for so long that he'd forgotten that the Doctor was practically half jester? An amused smile crawled onto his face in spite of his worry, and he gave a second snort and shook his white head. "Ahh, she probably did when I wasn't looking..." he muttered under his breath, before slowly bringing his blue eyes around to d'Art's mismatched one. Despite the light tone, he seemed almost worried, and Mauja looked aside again as his dark muzzle brushed against his shoulder. The soothing touch was comforting, but as he peered into the shadows he wondered why it had affected him so — why it had nearly torn his mind asunder.. and why he couldn't really believe he was back. Though, he thought with the shadow of a wry smile, Faelene had managed to settle many of his worries.. in a somewhat unorthodox fashion. Briefly he wondered what d'Art would say to that, but he forced the thought aside. Better that the blood bay didn't know, really, or Mauja would never hear the end of it.

His theory that the Gods had only been playing tricks on him was much along the lines of what Mauja himself thought had happened, but when he went on, to speak of the herd needing their old King, he raised a 'brow and turned his head around to look at d'Artagnan. "Sure you've not been knocked on the head too?" he asked lightly while allowing the words to sink in, through flesh and bone and into his soul. Not only did he, after a fashion, confess to believing Mauja about his unfortunate adventure, but he, the mad, emotionless Doctor, offered words of comfort.. of need. Slowly Mauja lowered his gaze. "Psyche seems to be doing fine," he said quietly after a moment, looking past the shade's red shoulder and onto a few lingering horses, who had not yet broken up from the meeting for one reason or another. "I'm just glad I've been as well received as I have. For now.. I think that is enough." His hooves whispered over the cave floor as he drew closer to d'Artagnan, white flank almost pressing against the red, and with a look of concentrated fascination his blue eyes trailed the glass horns.. until he reached out, transfixed, and brushed his soft muzzle against the jagged edges of the broken one.

"In all honesty, I feel a bit broken, d'Artagnan..."
Our souls entwined and unafraid
Credits

The more d'Artagnan watched his old friend the more he began to see the internal conflict and he smiled faintly when his jesting comment seemed to take him by surprise. It seemed that wherever the Frostheart had gone in space and time that it had effected him in a way that troubled him, though d'Artagnan wasn't renowned for his sharp insight, he did know his friend, and something deep inside wasn't quite right. It was hard for him, the infamous Doctor, to try and reach that place within Mauja that troubled him. It wasn't something he could simply heal, a wound of a metaphorical case was beyond him though he could try words of encouragement. Even if it wasn't his strong suit and rather ruined the image he had created for himself. For a few moments he rather wished Kou was with him, she would know what to say and it would come out much kinder. Rather than his gruff tones. "My friend I lost my head a long time ago" he said with humour to Mauja's jesting question.

Heads. Who needed them.

He watched the bane as he drew back within himself again and spoke in compliments of Psyche before going to express his relief at his reception. d'Artagnan stared at him, his eyes boring into the iced blue of Mauja's as the snowy stud's muzzle touched his horn. The Nighshade had a sudden urge to hit his former King, if they were back at the cliffs of the Edge he might've even pushed him off, though he kept his violent thoughts behind the bars of his mind. Who knows what other drabble the Frostheart would come out with if he was knocked senseless. Instead lids narrowed as if he was trying to look inside his friend, find the old King who spoke words of fire and rallied the unicorns like he was some saint. The Mauja the Frostheart that he knew when he first came to Helovia, the Mauja who had followed him to the Earth God and the Mauja who installed passion into the Plague. As the red's thoughts churned his gaze turned sad for a moment before changing into exasperation followed by a sigh.

"You're different now then you were back in the first days, when our little family was first formed." He smiled at the pet name he gave the herd, the family that constantly changed but always remained strong. "Are you really that weak? Or are you running away from the uncertainty inside you? Maybe a sense of guilt for being gone from the herd for so long?" Though d'Artagnan was angered inside he managed to keep his voice at a kind level, his questions were more like probes. Trying to find what exactly it was that bothered Mauja so much. "Is it really enough... Don't you feel like you owe them more than that, you battled shoulder to shoulder with them and shed blood with them when the Edge was lost, surely you want more than their simple approval."

d'Artagnan wasn't sure if he'd got across what all that he thought in his mind. He wanted Mauja to see that this wallowing in self pity wasn't helping himself or the herd. Maybe he was wrong, the shade had a rather harsh upbringing and was always taught to ignore the hurts that plagued himself and concentrate on the important. Maybe that was why most who met him described him as being so cold. Though d'Artagnan wasn't entirely free of self pity, his depressed thoughts of the Moon Goddess still sat like a dark shadow upon his soul. His voice grew quieter and softer as he turned to watch Aramis bounding around "I don't like to see you like this, broken as you are, but I must also say I know the feeling..."

His voice trailed off towards the end and he wondered if Mauja had thought of the Moon Goddess. Her patron land she had so happily given to Mirage and her hoard of heathens. Though each time d'Artagnan had been to visit her, she'd never given away anything that would suggest a reason why she had let such an atrocity happen. It struck him the most because he was burdened with constant reminders of her, not least of all his first born son. Mesec. Who had disappeared again. The Nightshade wanted to hate her, hate her for abandoning them, but apart of him still betrayed his resolve. His own flesh and blood, his son, had her blood too. He was their son. Maybe that was why he couldn't let go.

filled with rage

Ascended Helovian

I was looking for a breath of life, for a little touch of heavenly light...

A silent smile, the curl of a dark mouth. d'Artagnan had always been off his rocker, and Mauja could only assume he lost his head far before he came to Helovia — wherever that had been. Come to think of it, he knew nothing of where the red doctor had come from. Not that it mattered, and least of all now. His blue eyes were someplace else, his mind wallowing around in the water covering the bottom of the pit he'd found himself in. It was like having earthen walls all around him, and no way up. He could only sit at the bottom and stare at the sky outside, or throw himself against the smooth sides of his prison and never climb any higher.

Perhaps he should just wait, until the water rose and carried him up.

Slowly he withdrew his muzzle, and as his head lowered, he caught sight of d'Artagnan's nearest eye for a moment.

He looked sad.

Then it was gone, swept away, and Mauja was suddenly struck by the notion that the Doctor was frustrated — with him. And, it made him feel guilty, and ashamed; he turned his head away, watching the play of shadows across the craggy walls. "You're different now." I wish I wasn't. "Are you really that weak?" I think so. "Or are you running away from the uncertainty inside you?" The faster I run, the more it consumes me. "Is it really enough..." If they don't need me, I can... What? Die? Disappear? Again? ".. surely you want more than their simple approval." He was silent for a moment, wondering if he did want more — did he want their bodies and their blood, their cries of war, the ferocity of their loyalty and pride? Sadly, he frowned for a moment, his white tail giving a small, restless flick, brushing against the dark cavern wall. He didn't know what to say. He didn't know what to answer. He didn't know how to tell d'Artagnan that he'd grown to doubt all he believed in, that he'd forgotten the glory of an army and the feeling of cool morning air filling out your lungs — he didn't know how to say that he'd forgotten how to hate.

He'd grown weak. d'Artagnan had guessed it, but Mauja thought neither of them wanted to believe it.

"I don't like to see you like this, broken as you are, but I must also say I know the feeling..."

If the Doctor hadn't already been saying so many things Mauja had never thought would fly out of the red's mouth, he surely would've sat down in sheer surprise at hearing such a soft, such an emotional statement coming from him. Slowly, the silent ex-King turned his head around to peer at his friend, then trail his gaze to the hellhound pup amusing himself. And like a coward, he grasped at the chance to steer the conversation away from the uncomfortable revelations and realizations, and the suppressed probing of the doctor (though, he was struck by the mad urge to ask him for a cure). "What do you mean?" he asked in a low, gentle voice, as if dealing with a rabid beast, afraid that d'Artagnan would strike out.. but desperately curious to know, and, if he could, help. Perhaps then they could forget that Mauja was weak, and move on. His 'brows furrowed slightly in consternation and he tilted his head, concern in his gentle blue gaze. "What's wrong, d'Art?" If even the cold, stoic Nightshade could feel it, something, of a sorrowful nature, then surely it was nothing as petty as rock stuck in his hoof. No — if it was strong enough to make d'Artagnan feel a bit broken, it surely was no trivial matter.
Credits

Sorry for the uber long wait neo >< Emotional d'Art can be really hard for me to write sometimes <3

Brotherhood. He could feel the bonds that tied him and Mauja together tug at his heart. Could he be this openly honest with anyone else? Kou was the only other that sprang to mind. Not even with his children could he bare himself to nakedly, they needed to know he was strong and that these stupid emotions didn't effect him. He couldn't deal with these feelings, he didn't know how to respond to them or what was the right thing to do. So much of him rejected them, rejected the hurt he felt towards the moon and the indecision he had towards Mesec. How could one both love and hate their own son? Why had the Moon abandoned the Edge, her own sons home, and why did he feel guilty about it? It was true that it still plagued him that he wasn't there when their old home fell, that he was too weak to even make it to the battlefield and was instead caught so easily by the enemy. It was so long ago, the seasons had been and gone. Yet, these problems still played on his mind. Weakness. d'Artagnan the Nightshade didn't like to feel weak.

He looked at Mauja when he spoke and grimaced. These words were not going to be easy, but maybe if he said them out loud he would feel better for it. The icy lord turned his head and he spoke a probing question again, there was no turning away now. He had to lay out his heart before the white stallion he had come to call best friend. However, a shaky laugh left his lips first and he too tilted his head to the Frostheart. "Don't worry I'm not dying so you can wipe that look off your face." He smiled briefly then turned to the matter at hand, turning thoughts around in his mind until finally he put them into spoken words. "It's a long story and one you already know most of. I've been berating you for being weak when really I am no better. I could not even help you in the battle for the Edge, I was held captive instead and I wasn't even strong enough to free myself. I thought, maybe, in my time as a prisoner that she might have come in aid. It was her land after all, the Moon, it was the home of her son. Yet..." He sighed rather loudly and controlled his plummeting voice before continuing.

"I hate her, but there is also apart of me that still loves her, still wants her to be the Goddess I once thought she was. I feel guilty because I shouldn't feel this way... Kou deserves better than this. Than me. I hate my son and I love him. I despise what he is and fear what he may become. When I travelled to the beloved Moon's shrine she said little to me and nothing about her betrayal or why she did it. I even did her damned quest and was blessed with her damned magic."

The Doctor looked away from his friend then and sorrowfully gazed out towards the mountains that guarded them day and night before he looked down to his hooves, eyes hardening in anger before a short ironic laugh began to tremble through his blood coloured body. "I am d'Artagnan the Nightshade. Even my name sounds like hers. I'm supposed to be fearless and not troubled by petty things such as emotions. I am the weakest of all who live here." He wallowed through the last part before lifting his head to watch the road ahead. Feeling the concern that was projected towards him from Aramis. Even though the pup was out ahead of them, he could still feel his bonded's discontent and it worried him.

d'Artagnan tried to find the pride he always carried as both Time Mender and Plague Doctor. The pride that had driven him to defeat Aaron and to remain with the herd as their healer. The love he felt for Kou and his daughters. The thought of Mesec now would be too much and so he pushed the child's image to the back of his mind, he had already failed his first born son.

filled with rage

Ascended Helovian

because I love Imi and d'Artagnan so much I'm giving you my 500th <33

Suddenly, he was struck by how strange their meeting was; two proud soldiers walking a lonely road, and all of a sudden they were neither proud nor soldiers, merely two broken men plodding along and confessing weakness. Who would've believed it? Mauja, their ice-hearted first King, and d'Artagnan, the Doctor who was always quick to scoff at emotions and practice his evil craft on unsuspecting (or suspecting, if he wanted them to suffer) victims.. yet here they were, bitter and confused. He felt old, too old, as if everything he'd ever been through had piled up on top of his shoulders instead of just flying off into the past. d'Artagnan gave a shaky chuckle and told him to stop looking so worried; Mauja responded with a bark of laughter. Somehow the subject of emotions had made him forget that it was the stoic Nightshade he was talking to, and not some bleeding fop. Mauja cared, and greatly, for the red beast, but it was true.. he didn't need to look quite so worried. The concern faded and the lines on his face smoothed out, his pupils moving to seek out Aramis ahead and watch while he waited for his friend to gather his thoughts and speak.

"It's a long story and one you already know most of. I've been berating you for being weak when really I am no better..." He felt another stab of guilt at that, then scowled; just because they both were weak didn't mean they should just ignore it and go merrily on their way. If d'Artagnan could kick some strength back into Mauja's spine, it'd be for the better, and perhaps he could return the favor one day. But he held his tongue, and listened without interrupting, trying to fit the pieces to make a whole. When it seemed he had finished with his tirade, Mauja let out a soft sigh and mulled over what he'd said; d'Artagnan's mismatched eyes were somewhere else, wandering the landscape, and Mauja's blue laid on the road ahead of his hooves.

The sudden laugh startled him out of his thoughts, head snapping up and around, black-tipped ears sweeping forward to catch the words; they truly were a sorry pair, both loathing themselves for their weakness and yet bitter about the circumstances which had brought them to their knees. Mauja chuckled mirthlessly. "And I'm Mauja the Frostheart, but I feel more like a puddle," he said dryly, yet he felt bad that d'Artagnan's own issues made him feel slightly better. It was stupid, parasitic and pathetic, but he couldn't deny it. After a moment he sighed, though. "I was the King she chose, d'Art. She hinted once that I ruled only because she saw fit, or somesuch, and I figured that I hadn't done anything wrong, then, as I still ruled. But then..." He shrugged. "Was their worship better than ours? Did they mean more to her, than those who had defended her name and bled for her allegiance when the Sun scorched the lands? Where was Mirage, when the Edge burned? Where was Mirage when Hellena was injured? Where was Mirage, when I went to the Veins and asked Earth and Moon to heal our forest?" His voice was almost a growl.

"Yet we lost, and the Moon doesn't seem to give a flying fuck about it. Those fucking dragons keep fires burning among the trees, I've seen it, d'Art — wouldn't you think that land has had enough of fire for a lifetime? How can they be so disrespectful?" Mauja's ears fell back, some of the harshness fading from his voice as his fire went out again. He was silent for a moment. "You're no weaker than me, brother — not that that makes it better... But I've lost things before. Forget about your imprisonment. It doesn't matter, it's over. Carrying it around your neck isn't going to help." But that was hardly the heart of the issue, was it? Mesec seemed to be, yet Mauja had no idea how to address that — love of one's children was unconditional love, yet Mesec bore wings, was the son of the deity who had let them down...

"I miss the Edge, but sometimes I wonder if I really want it back.. if I'd rather not live outside of her influence," he said quietly, peering at the sunny sky. Perhaps even the Sun's rage was better than the discomfort of knowing how she'd betrayed them.
Credits

omg 500 + posts ;-; you're a Goddess <33
Here have my rambling 200th XDD

It was hard. So hard, even to his best friend, to put the torment of his emotions into words. Wasn't he supposed to be the mad man with no feelings? The heartless bastard that everybody hated or feared. Yes, he was still that and where he found weakness he also found strength. Where he found pain and betrayal he also found anger and revenge. d'Artagnan was the type of horse who would be the villain of fairy tales with the wrong ideals and a deserving death, but those were just fairy tales. Reality was cruel and warped with incredible highs and almost inconceivable lows. He was old enough and experienced enough now to take this feelings, acknowledge them and place them aside. Still, the pain they gave him never lessened and sometimes it was better to say what he truly felt out loud instead of hiding it behind the iron gates of his blood filled heart. Maybe, right now, he looked like the hollow shell of what used to be a formidable stallion, but he trusted Mauja with his feelings and was thankful that he had gained such companionship and shoulders to lean upon. Every sinner needed a saviour after all.

To others, monster maybe, but he was still flesh and blood with a beating heart and a tortured mind. It was a rare day, but d'Artagnan knew it was profoundly important to come to terms with these feelings in order to grip his strength more firmly.

The corners of his mouth twitched as finally he heard the lifeless chuckle of his friend and turned to catch each word, bellowing out a humorous laugh that he couldn't quite keep in when his spotted companion compared himself to a puddle. Well, that was certainly one way of looking at it. He looked at him with eyes full of mirth, hoping he hasn't offended his friend with his sudden outburst. Silently, he listened to the rest of what Mauja had to say, he snorted at his many questions about the Moon Goddess. All he knew right now was that she was a conniving bitch that he'd mistakenly tied his life to, he even carried her damned amulet around his neck that was brought to his attention when Mauja mentioned it rather metaphorically. Though it was not something he could simply cast aside in the snow, it held too much power for that, but d'Artagnan already knew where it belonged in the back of his mind. Mesec. He wondered if his son hated him now? Was that why he never saw him?

He sighed a long arduous sigh. One more time he would go look for his son and offer him the trinket that was a symbol for his mother. Tie an end that so needed to be tied. Then walk away and let the child follow his own path. d'Artagnan loved and hated him, he would not love him like a father should, but he would not pursue him and he would not harm him. A silent promise that made him feel slightly better. He had already failed as a father anyway. Taking a few minutes to turn the many questions Mauja had posed to him through his mind and consider his next words, he too then turned to watch Aramis until finally he spoke.

"It is clear to me that the Moon only seeks pleasure for her own twisted desires. I do not think we could ever comprehend the ways of her mind. Maybe one day, she will become bored of this Mirage and play a little more. I wouldn't be surprised. This Time God, I am grateful for the land he has given us, but I still do not trust him and it puts me at odds with many of our herd mates. Yet, I cannot hide the hostility I have towards the masters of this land."

He smiled then, turning his head to one side in amusement. "They are simpletons Mauja, you expect too much of Mirage's horde of no hopers. They invaded out of selfish need and so continue that same selfish ethic into their herd life." He chuckled darkly through his words, he never tried to hide his hatred of the Dragon Heart.

"You are right there are things I must do to rid myself of these tormenting thoughts, but remember brother. Our weaknesses shape what we become, rise and become stronger than you have ever been. Defeat the uncertainty that plagues your heart then maybe we will find solace and peace within ourselves. It will not be easy for both of us, it may even take quite some time, but we mustn't forget our goals and those who depend on us. Show the Gods that we can play the game just as well as they can." He smiled at the last sentence, maybe they couldn't do the extraordinary things they could do, but they most certainly could get in the way and stir up a few problems.

Suddenly he became aware of his surroundings and the close proximity they were to his cave. Smiling genuinely, d'Artagnan nodded his head in the direction of his homely hole in the wall. "I have a cave not too far from here, if you wish to join me, we can try lighten the mood a little with some of my experiments. Don't worry, only the ones I've tested, I wouldn't want to kill you by accident after all." He laughed through the latter part and awaited his spotted friend's answer to his jovial offer of gentle companionship with a few drugs.

filled with rage

Ascended Helovian

<3333 ily I love you all your posts

In all honesty, it would've worried him if d'Artagnan hadn't reacted in some way to his words — this laughter was more like the Doctor he knew, devoid of the bitterness and self-loathing they'd both taken a plunge in, but he knew that they were not ashore yet. While most of their thoughts had been shared, purged like infection from a wound, the wound itself remain and Mauja was fairly certain they were not to heal tonight. It took time before these things cleaned, the incisions left behind by rusty daggers punched into supple flesh. Head swaying to the rhythm of his easy walk his eyes remained on Aramis, capering upon the path ahead of them. Had he been that carefree in his own youth? As untroubled by the world around him, merely curious about what it held? Some part of him thought he had been, but then again, he was not so certain. The north was a harsh place to grow up in, and wander away on what seemed a peaceful, sunny day and you might find yourself frozen solid in a drift when the blizzards hit. While he couldn't honestly recall that time of his life to know with certainty, he had a feeling the foals had been kept on a tight leash for more reasons than one.

His thoughts churned beneath the white bone of his cranium, listening to d'Artagnan as he spoke of Gods; he'd been told of this Time God but had never seen, nor met him (as far as he knew; obviously, he was wrong in this). Who he was remained to be seen, but Mauja couldn't help but think of a certain Aylin, moon-child, speaking of the deity she loved yet thought capable of wicked things. Like a fool he said he'd thought she rewarded her followers and did not so cruelly punish her enemies — and in half a sense, that was true. She had rewarded some followers, and punished others, the bitterness of which still haunted the walking pair. Aside from the unknown Time, Earth was the only one Mauja held no grudge against, but was it something that time would change? Perhaps.

The acerbic words about Mirage drew a bitter laugh from his mouth. "Perhaps I will not fail by underestimating my foes, but by overestimating them," he offered with a grin that was mocking, both himself and his enemies. But, what the Doctor said was truth, and while he still despised the Qian for their heinous ways, it felt good to have some kind of reason, even if the reason in and of itself was a rather depressing one. "The problem with Gods is that if they get angry, they can just incinerate us on the spot. But, I guess you're right — by overcoming these weaknesses within ourselves our minds grow stronger, and we will be more likely to survive their.. taunting." He gave his head a shake, almost missing d'Artagnan's gesture; he caught it in time, however, and let his 'brows rise up. What now? The Doctor truly seemed pleased by something, and soon Mauja understood what. They were close to his cave.. the cave no one should enter without permission, lest something toxic lay fuming in the corner. A crooked grin curled his lips; for a moment it felt almost like old times, the faint traces of his usual paranoia drifting up towards the surface.. what if, what if...

Am I not past this? Without betraying a single trace of his thoughts, he watched d'Artagnan for a moment — recalling his smile, his tale, the things he had shared, willingly, with Mauja.. things he would not speak lightly of. That even the old wariness came back to life did their friendship injustice, and feeling like maybe he was heading to something new, he ruthlessly quashed it beneath a mental hoof. To hell with paranoia; raise your glass to trust and hope its contents are harmless.

"Why not?" he replied, his crooked grin growing more lopsided. "Just hope my constitution matches yours, I'd rather not prove my weakness by dying of that which you can handle." A bark of a laugh followed the words, and he slowed for a few steps to let the Red man take the lead, before nudging his hip in passing. "Lead on, and make sure I don't remember this later." Was it weakness, to do this? Or was it just some of their old, I-don't-give-a-damn coming back to life? Perhaps a little bit of both, but beneath it all, he found that he genuinely had enjoyed this — would enjoy this, spending time alone with his friend.. someone he could trust.

Whether or not he'd recall the feeling tomorrow remained to be seen.
Credits

d'Artagnan & Mauja,
I am near you, you don't see me, can you feel me, I'm closer than close
It had been hard, but finally it seemed like their difficult conversation was about to run it's course. The words were important and the release of emotion much needed for the Nightshade, he was stubborn enough to keep it all in, but even he had to have his moments of vulnerability. Better it be with one he whole heartedly trusted than to crumble into a blubbering mess in front of his enemies. No. What was now past must remain in his past. Never forgotten, but carried with a pride like an old itchy wound. His mistakes would shape him and his victories would crown him. d'Artagnan didn't quite have one foot in the grave yet, but his path was becoming narrower and narrower. He would remain the crimson nightmare for as long as his heart beat like a thunder crack in cold darkness. Always watching.

A chuckle lit up his expression when his spotted friend who mocked himself and the world before them. There. An echo of the old Mauja who made light of a harsh situation, perhaps behind all that wallowing exterior, d'Artagnan would someday be able to find the friend who joked about jumping from a cliff and fell before the fluttering lashes of a lustful female. Well, maybe the latter part had not changed too much. Mares seemed to be always his weak area, even though he did not know of Mauja's latest romantic encounters, there was sure to be no surprises. In the amused mind of the Nightshade anyway. He laughed an oddly cheerful laugh then, turning his head to one side when Mauja finished speaking about the Gods. "Death by their hand is not something we should worry about, they'll be releasing us from the struggles of this world anyway. I guess, the more I stop caring, the happier I am. As selfish as it sounds, the more I care the more these emotions get in my way." A fleeting memory entered his head then, of a time when he was a colt and the world was new. His demise in battle and his banishment from his homeland. A grey mare who brought with her a bitter taste. "Alas! If only I could reject my emotions like Seiren can, I often wonder what the world looks like in her demon eyes."

With that he headed off towards his cave, happily hearing the consent of Mauja who ushered him to lead on, to which he did. He smiled when his friend mentioned constitution to which d'Artagnan had to stifle a comment about it not mattering if he was dead. Instead his gaze turned wicked and his head floated to where he thought Mauja would be, "I'm glad you agreed to try yourself against the rigors of delusional fodder. That means, if by some accident you do die, it's not actually my fault." He chuckled through the latter part, his voice laced with his favourite black humour that he liked to spring on his old friend from time to time.

Aramis, noting the direction they were heading, yipped once to them in farewell before bounding away to finish his hunting. If d'Artagnan was in his cave, the hell dog would be able to find him later. No matter what state he was in, even if he by chance stumbled away from his chemistry set, the familiar stench of poison and merlot fur should be enough for his keen nose to find them again.

Upon arrival, the Nightshade shuffled around a little, giving Mauja a warning look then simply meant 'don't touch' before scouting out something... Interesting. The plant he eventually settled on was one he had tested not too long ago, but the effects had some sort of short term amnesia to it that, when morning came, he couldn't remember for the life in him what the hell had happened. The big thing was, that he had not died in the intake of it and so the plant should be safe for consumption. A blue eye moved to try and lock onto Mauja's gaze, head arching into an inviting movement to usher the spotted stallion over to his location, situated towards the back left of the damp cave.

"A bite of this and we're sure in for a good night. The last time I took it, I couldn't remember what had happened when the effects wore off. So... Who knows." He pushed the plant over to Mauja and awaited his friends approval before his own grey maw fell upon the fleshy, green leaves.

[ooc;
The poison being used is Salvia Divinorum and can work as an antidepressant. Effects may last up to 24 hours or more.

The Immediate Effects Can Include:
-- Uncontrollable laughter
-- Past memories, such as revisiting places from childhood memory
-- Sensations of motion, or being pulled or twisted by forces
-- Visions of membranes, films and various two-dimensional surfaces
-- Merging with or becoming objects
-- Overlapping realities, such as the perception of being in several locations at once

Short Term Effects Percentages:
-- Feelings of calmness: 42.2%
-- Weird thoughts: 36.4%
-- Things seeming unreal: 32.4%
-- Floating feelings: 32%
-- Mind racing: 23.2%
-- Feeling lightheaded: 22.2%]

filled with rage

Ascended Helovian

Mauja & d'Artagnan,
I’m blinded at heart but you wake me up from the snow where I was born
Things were falling back into place, the way they had been, always would be. Somehow they found themselves together, time and time again, exchanging words in easy companionship, slipping back into the past, into how things used to be.. and still ought to be. Mauja had been one to joke about death, falling from cliffs, to always contemplate the darkness in the world but never let it weigh him down, so how had it anchored itself to his heart and dragged him beneath the murky waves? How had he let it happen?

Weeks of isolation on a snowy waste, trapped in a land that wasn't yours, prisoner with familiar faces worn by strangers. It does things to you...

It wore away your resolve like a cliff before the onslaught of a wave, until he had longed for death, for a release from the torment. The memory was unpleasant, something shameful; he hadn't told the Doctor, but how would he react, if he'd open his mouth and let those cursed words out? I wanted to die, d'Artagnan. That plunge would be too deep — at first, he had clung to the hope of life, swearing over and over that he was still alive, but as the days stretched on he'd begun to wish for death, a finite end, release from the limbo he'd been trapped in. The words threatened to burst out of his throat, building up like bile in the back of his mouth, but he bit them down. They belonged in the past, and he wouldn't let them taint the future.

"Emotions have a way of doing that," he murmured, flicking one ear. Hadn't Psyche taught him that already? Her stone-cold efficiency kept the machine running when Mauja's rusty gears had spiraled out into space, and to remember the dream — it was awkward, having watched that moment of their past again, seen a future that could be.. but she was made of ice, more than he was, and at the mention of Seiren he winced. Some days he regretted throwing her out — she was talented, that was undeniable — but for what she did.. she'd deserved it, hadn't she? She, a soldier of the Plague, instrument of their dominance, raped by a Pegasus, and giving birth to some hell-spawn... "Seiren. Did I ever tell you she gave birth to a half-blood?" But his soft question was almost drowned in talk of the cave, and unless d'Art caught on to it, he wouldn't bring it up again. There was no point in riling the Doctor up with tales of his wayward sister and her sins against their race.

"I'm glad you agreed to try yourself against the rigors of delusional fodder. That means, if by some accident you do die, it's not actually my fault." He snorted, a sound full of mock disdain though his lips remained in a good-natured grin. "All blame goes to the fool, hail King Mauja the Idiot! I reign supreme in the realm of stupidity.. because, y'know, I think you're pretty secure as the Lord of Madlands." The strange feeling of trust remained — a year ago, the comment would've worried him.. but somehow, he knew that d'Artagnan wouldn't willingly kill him. Maybe give him something that made him crazy for days and all sorts of nauseous, or knock him senseless for a week to put him in his place, but kill him? No. He found that he could not believe it, his paranoia could not rear its ugly head and even whisper the slightest doubt in his ears. d'Artagnan was mad as a hatter, but when it came to Mauja, harmless: in some twisted way clarity washed over him, and he knew that he would be safe. Safe. What a laughable concept in a cave full of drugs and poisons, yet he found himself believing it as they stepped into the Doctor's abode. Secrets and dangers tugged at his senses, nose wrinkling with the battering of unfamiliar scents. Most sent warning tingles down his spine, and as he caught his friend's look he gave him an innocent-looking smile.

Once in the cave Mauja came to a halt in the open space, peering around curiously in every direction as d'Artagnan shuffled around, looking for something. His attention was a bit here and a bit there, thinking about Aramis playing around and his backside taking off before they went into the cave, paying a visit to Irma, who in no uncertain terms told him he was an idiot and that she wouldn't talk to him for a week, thinking about.. gods, death, Seiren, and where the hell was Alan these days..?

Suddenly the Doctor spoke again, and Mauja's attention went back to him. He'd scrounged up some green leaves, and at a glance they seemed harmless enough.. but knowing his friend, they'd not be. "Do you have a secret stash of victims or do you try things at random and hope for the best?" he asked curiously as he ambled over, lowering his muzzle to nip at the leaves. They tasted.. normal? It was unnerving, how normal the plant seemed and tasted, knowing that it had some sort of effects — evidently d'Artagnan had some subconscious memory of them being good, as he promised a good night while claiming to not remember what had happened. Mauja mulled it over as he ground the leaves down between his teeth, wondering how many other toxic or just outright weird plants that grew around here. What if he got something when grazing? A strain of his old fear flared to life, but he fought it down. Surely d'Artagnan would tell him if the Basin was infested with some sort of chameleon nightshade. The glob of psychoactive plant mass slid down his throat, and he worked his jaws soundlessly for a while, trying to figure out the taste, and clear his mouth of the pieces of greenery stuck in his teeth in a rather unflattering manner. "So.. now we just wait for me to keel over and die?" he said in a light voice, his grin giving the joke away.

[ this turned out so massive anyway I just skipped starting to get him high xD ]

d'Artagnan & Mauja,
I am near you, you don't see me, can you feel me, I'm closer than close
It was a hard and thoughtful conversation, but d'Artagnan was glad he had it. Even the terrible Nightshade needed a friend to confide in and if it wasn't Kou then it was always going to be Mauja. Words left maws and the sparkling midnight sky silently accepted them, he wondered what his life would have been like now if he had defeated that unicorn when he was just a teenager. Most likely, he'd of succeeded in becoming the head of their clan and Seiren would have remained the innocent girl instead of the snake she was now. Was it all his fault in the end? Did that one mistake all those years ago set him up for the calamities after? He would never know the answer to that and he had made sure that he had never been defeated in battle since. He wondered what that stallion was doing now, the one who broke his horn in two, probably lapping up life as Lord of his land. Fate had been cruel to the Nightshade and those who dared get in his way now paid the price for it. He smiled again as Mauja spoke until his snowy friend said something that had his head snap up in shock.

"She what?! So that's why she disappeared." The shade started mumbling incoherently then under his breath, shaking his head as mismatched eyes hardened in anger. How far had his shady sister fallen? He wondered if Seiren would've killed the child, it wouldn't of surprised him if she had and if d'Artagnan had been there to see it himself then it would surely have been dead. No child of Nicolas tainted herself in such ways. Did she not remember their fathers teachings?! "Little whore. I should've killed her years ago and now she's tarnishing our family's name. Even I have to admit though, she wouldn't be easy to kill, she's always been the most adept fighter of our clan." He spat bitterly. d'Artagnan had a sneaky suspicion that if he did go one on one with her then they'd probably both die. They knew each other too well for any other outcome.

It didn't take long, however, for the shade's mood to be lightened when Mauja spoke in mockery. Bursting out into a rough laugh "you said it not me my liege. Don't be infecting my madness with your stupidity though, think of the children" lips plastered in black amusement. d'Artagnan lingered by the plant and watched as Mauja explored his colourful abode, it wouldn't be long until both of them were completely out of it and the day would become a happy memory he could return to in dark days. He smiled crookedly at his friend's curious question and thought of Aramis bringing him back 'patients'. "It depends. Most of the time Aramis brings me back live animals to experiment on, but when he's not here I guess I just wing it. I'll probably kill myself by accident one day, but fate doesn't seem to want me dead yet." A thought suddenly occurred to him and he tilted his head towards the Frostheart, his gaze intense with caution. "By the way, if you see anything dead looking in the herdland ... Don't touch it." He laughed then and waited for the poison to take it's effect.

"I'll give you a nice burial." He joked along.

d'Artagnan the Nightshade struggled to remember that night. In fact, he could only remember parts of the herd meeting never mind much else. The feeling of being free of burdened thoughts still remained, knowing that at some point he and Mauja had spoken. The stars were bright that night and with them was the sound of intense maniac like laughter as the plant had taken a hold of him. The stresses of the real world were lifted from his mind as a serene sense of calm settled on him and for the first few minutes he truly felt bliss. No doubt he participated in whatever Mauja was doing and he soon came across the unbelievable revelation that he could actually walk through walls. His mind was blown. He spent about an hour believing he could waltz through the mountain and another thinking he was captured by Throat once again as he swung his glass blades wildly at what he thought was Kri, throwing himself around his cave calling out "come 'ere and say that to my face short arse" before finally falling sound asleep to wake up with some rather painful bruises and a few new scratches on his already battered horns. Eying the plant with an amused smile as he took a quick guess at what could've happened that night.

Alas! He had no regrets. They both needed some time to simply let go and be wild.

filled with rage

Ascended Helovian

Mauja & d'Artagnan,
I’m blinded at heart but you wake me up from the snow where I was born
Maybe it would've been easier if d'Artagnan hadn't heard him. Clearly, the Doctor hadn't been aware, and Mauja ducked his head for a moment, wondering if he'd get chewed out for not killing the filly — but he'd been weak even then, rebelling against the notion of killing something innocent.. something that wasn't to blame for her parent's errors. The half-blood had had both wings and a horn, the blood of someone who was weak and someone who was terrible. So why had he let it live? But the Time Mender went on, savagely condemning his sister, and Mauja was content to listen in silence, grunting his agreement in the appropriate places or otherwise looking grim. Was Seiren a threat to them? Would her vendetta against d'Artagnan make her align herself with the enemy? Had she forsaken the racist teachings clearly present in her brother's upbringing? Had it been a mistake, a year ago, to let mother and child live? The questions gnawed at him, but he said nothing, not that he'd come upon them in a moment of weakness right after birth — that he'd had their lives in his hooves and spared them both.

He hadn't slipped as often back then.
But he had that day.

Fortunately, his red friend seemed eager to let the subject drop, and Mauja contended himself with simply having alerted d'Artagnan to his unfortunate niece's existence. They would deal with Seiren and her Ghost some other day. Once within the cave, the sister seemed forgotten, just another drop in their sea of woe. Just another thing to forget, to purge from their minds, and a bark of laughter was heard from Mauja; a rather uncharacteristic sound coming from him, given that he usually smiled, snow-soft, instead of laughed. "The children, d'Artagnan? I thought we'd stopped caring about them when we went into this cave!" And for a split second, he thought of himself not as the glacial, frigid stallion of the past, not the regal, calm Mauja, but rather as the man that lurked beneath that perfect composure.. someone more alive, raw, vivid, feral, bold and daring where the other was cautious and liked to play it safe.

Maybe he should do this more often.

He wasn't sure when it began. It was probably just placebo, the reckless knowledge of what he was doing, but he found himself grinning as d'Artagnan confessed to his nefarious experiments — and scowling, sternly, at the comment of dying. "If you die," he promised soberly, "I'll come to hell and kill you again.". Because, in another split moment of strange clarity, he knew that he did not want to be without d'Artagnan in this life.
And not just for the drugs.

"Put a flower on my grave, will you?" was the last coherent thing he said. A sense of relief flooded him, a weightlessness, and from that point, he had no real idea of what had happened. While he would recall more of their actual conversation than d'Artagnan, he did not recall particularly much of the night itself. And when d'Artagnan started walking through walls... well, Mauja did not believe it. Mauja refused to believe it, but no matter how many times he told the Doctor he was wrong, he just kept doing it, and in the end, Mauja realized what a fool he'd been.

And walked with his friend through the walls, lost in some other world where nothing mattered except the sensation of his body slipping through rock and emerging somewhere else, the painful bruising of atoms splitting, and the curious notion that he was actually in some other place as well. Unable to make sense of it, he'd simply laughed it off, wondering when the Red's eyesight had gone so bad, because Mauja was not short and probably let his friend know that a bit too roughly. And when he grew bored of dodging his friend's rather vicious and unbalanced outbursts, he simply melded with the mountain wall and watched. It did not come across as odd at all to him to become part of an inanimate object, and in fact he rather liked being the mountain, though it was probably at that part during the night that he sustained the most bruises, because he did not have enough sense to move his body out of the way of d'Artagnan's wild flailing.

When he woke, it was with a bitter headache, and a great deal many cuts and bruises across his white body; at some point in the early hours of morning they'd both fallen to the floor, legs sprawled every which-way and Mauja's head slung across d'Artagnan's red back. No matter what had happened in the night, the waking up was worth it in some way he had no real desire to explore; there were no regrets, though he certainly wished to remain on the cold floor for another half century before getting up again.

[ the end. <3 ]